shape
carat
color
clarity

Update and a Thank You re: My Family Situation

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't want to drag the old thread up again, mainly because it's kind of difficult for me to see all the things I divulged about my father out there in black and white. But I do want to give a sincere and heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to the thread and offered much-needed support, experiences, background, insights, and important questions.

Your input really helped me reach a point of clarity in my situation. While I still have no idea what is going on with my father, I have (once again!) realized that it isn't my business, and it isn't my problem just yet, to meddle in his life and try to coerce him to get any sort of treatment or care. All I can do is choose to accept him as he is, and draw whatever boundaries I need to draw with him to remain healthy myself.

I think my initial desire to get him some help stemmed from my very deep wish for him to be a different kind of father. This, of course, will never happen and it's something I've dealt with again and again throughout the years. (Annoying how coming to terms with something at one point in life doesn't guarantee that that particular wicket won't get sticky one again as circumstances change over the years, isn't it?)

So, I'm no longer in a place where his bizarre behavior sends me in a tailspin of fear and anxiety over what must be done. I've reached a place of acceptance, and it feels very good.

If you offered me counsel in the "real world" I would be sending out tins with some sort of sweet and a little note to show my gratitude. I'm sorry that all I can do here is to say it over and over again, but thank you, thank you, thank you. ::)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey there Haven.

Parents/family are the most sticky of all relationships - they are bound with so many emotions and so little logic. We just do our best when it comes to what we can do for them. I'm sure everyone has a similar struggle with someone they are close to.

Know we are always here for you!!! {{{HUGS}}}

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you're feeling more at peace about the situation, Haven! Here's to the wicket destickifying power of PS (and friends in general -- seen & unseen)!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm happy to see you are reaching a sense of peace over this.... Only person you have control over is yourself- that is something I have to remind myself a lot.... :/

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peace is a wonderful achievement in a non perfect situation. He is lucky to have such a loving daughter with a great head on her shoulders! Things never stay the same - sometimes they get better, sometimes they get worse. You'll rise to the occasion if and when the time comes but for now, enjoy your peace. Hugs!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm glad to hear you're at peace, Haven. You made the right decision.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm really glad to read this, Haven. Don't forget though, while it isn't your responsibility, it is still really important to you, and we are here if you need a little support or want to vent.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven, I missed your thread about this but want to post and say I am glad you are feeling better about it. I know firsthand how difficult it is when a family member/loved one develops a mind altering disease and I wish you and your family strength and peace in this difficult time.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
soocool|1343603085|3242664 said:
We are all sisters here on PS! :wavey:

OK, well...

Haven, wishing you all the best in times that are more challenging than others...

Ira Z.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I'm so glad you regained insight into your relationship with your father. We always want reasons and labels on things. You are his daughter and look at his actions quite differently than I might. I was going to give you an example of my wonderful, beautiful, intelligent neice who behaves like Your dad. We all accept her the way she is and make allowances. Even her mother does. What can you do? She isn't mentally ill, she just behaves badly on occasion. Keep the attitude you now have, and while you will periodically regress, you will be more at peace with it.

Annette

Take care of yourself and your baby.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I'm so glad to hear you are feeling more peaceful about things, Haven. That is a prize all by itself -- and due solely to your good balance in making sense of a jumble of our PS opinions & coming out on top! You may have to remind yourself of all this again, but so do we all. There are only so many burdens in life that we can assume & stay sane -- you've prioritized yours well & will have more to give your new little tadpole as a result. Hang in there, good girl!

--- Laurie

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Haven, I'm glad you're in a better place now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results