shape
carat
color
clarity

Unemployment and job hunting

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just commented in another thread about unemployment and I wondered what others would do.

If you were unemployed, how much time would have to go by before you looked into other career opportunities than what you did before becoming unemployed? What if you had to take a job that you felt was beneath you? (Not to sound snobby but that's the phrasing that came to mind.) Over the last few years I've heard so many stories on the news about people who had very successful careers at one time. They lost their jobs for whatever reason, couldn't find work at the same level they were once at, and they ended up taking jobs that they were way overqualified for. How would you feel about that if you were in that position?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I actually was in this position. When I moved from Washington to California, I was unemployed for THIRTEEN MONTHS. I applied for absolutely any job that remotely fit into my field, but I also applied at the grocery store, the mall's movie theater, local tourist attractions... The truth is I was a little too overqualified to be considered for those jobs. They know that a 25 year old (this was 5 years ago) with three college degrees isn't REALLY going to be satisfied with an $8.00 an hour job, so I never got so much as a callback for any of those other jobs. I did a lot of volunteering and even did a 4-month unpaid internship just to keep my resume strong. Eventually I lucked out but man, it was not easy and if I wasn't married and had his help, I am not sure what I would have done. Then again, if I wasn't married, I wouldn't have moved to California in the first place so.......

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
I was a linguist, a Korean translator.
stuff was FANTASTIC when I was in Korea.

in the states? outside of major "Asian "cities (california, Flushing, NY, San Antonio) my Korean goes to waste, and it's not needed.
Since my husband informed me that we will never go back to live there, it's become useless.
so now I'm working a sh*t job that I hate while I wait for school to start to do a complete career change.

Same goes for DH though- he spent 10 years in the Army as a chinook/blackhawk/apache mechanic and was told that he would need civilian erts to be employed out of the army. Since he was mad, he completely threw that away and went to fire school, and is now getting a degree for fire science.

Turn down almost 6 figure salary because of a hissy fit.
Yup, story of my life.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would give myself 2 weeks to wallow. If I go longer than that, I may never come out of the "depths of despair." I'm just a bit "dramatic" ;( like that. I would try to treat the 2 weeks like a "vacation" from work, then wake up the same time every day as I would when employed - maybe give myself an extra hour of sleep, grab my laptop, and head to a bookstore or coffee shop with wi-fi and outlets to plug in.

At the bookstore, I would allocate a certain number of hours to searching for similar jobs that I have experience with on freelance type websites. The balance would be allocated to hobby-related job searches, e.g., selling diamonds for a PS vendor :naughty: , or working on a business plan for a food-related business (I dream of this), or researching new career ops, e.g., I've been thinking about teaching ESL to adults as a future career option, and maybe I can find places to volunteer in the meantime?

***This is how I imagine I would be handling unemployment, but reality can be quite different and far from my imagination...

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe - This is random, and not really directly responsive to your question, but I wonder whether you would like something like working for birth to three (not sure what it's called in your state.) I actually meant to mention this back when you posted about your job search initially, and I do not recall, I might have, so if this is a repeat, feel free to ignore me. Anyway, I don't know if it's something that would interest you at all, and it would seem like something not in your prior career path, but perhaps it would be a different type of work for which you could use your existing degree(s) and might enjoy. Like I said, a random thought!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm about to run out and I'll reply to other posts later, but LV, I wanted to comment on yours first. I'm not sure of the program (?) you're talking about. I'll try to look it up. I'm two states north of you.

I posted this thread for two reasons. I'm genuinely interested in how others view job searching and unemployment, how long they'd spend searching for something in their current field before branching out, and to get ideas for myself. I found out in late winter that because of a reduction in force in my district, my position was not renewed for next year. I was pretty devastated because I'd been there for several years, had no intention of leaving, and I love it there and love my colleagues and friends. Pinto, I allowed myself four days to wallow (luckily, I found out just before Feb. vacation week, so I had time to do that). Then I began making notes of districts I wanted to focus on and I jotted down their contact information. I began getting my paperwork together and applications written before sending out my packet. I was so busy that I didn't really have time to wallow anymore, and that was probably a good thing.

I've applying for teaching jobs in two different areas of my state, and then my husband and I decided to move to one of those areas. It doesn't look like I'll land a teaching job for the fall, so I'm planning to sub in various districts until something pans out. I'll look for daily subbing and long term subbing positions once we move and get settled.

I'm not at all ready to branch out and think of other careers, but I do enjoy reading about what else I could do. LV, that's why your post caught my eye right away. Subbing or working as a para (aide) in a school would be a good way to get my foot in the door because it's pretty competitive out there. A few districts have said that the best way to get my foot in the door is to sub.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi

Zoe, sorry you are going through this. My only comment stems from Sonnyjanes post. If you need to take an $8-10 job at the mall, please dont tell them aabout your credentials in your chosen field. People construct many different resumes for different aspects of their work history so make one up with your $8-10 past jobs. Your obligation is to do the job you are paid to do, not guarantee you will stay a lifetime.

I used run hotels. Every summer teachers would apply. We were so happy to hire them as they did a far better job than others, and would even come in on the holidays so others had that time off. Of course they became our regulars each season. Its true we knew they were part time, but you ought not tell them for a mall job. Just My opinion.

Annette

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sonnyjane, wow, thirteen months? That's scary, but as you said, you weren't alone in trying to figure things out and you had support. I'm trying really hard not to be so "woe is me" and most of the time, I manage. I've heard so many cliches lately (along the lines of "when one door closes another one opens" and "everything happens for a reason"). As corny as they are, I keep repeating them to myself. I like structure, a daily schedule, and everything just-so, and when things aren't like that, I get antsy.

Kelinas, working as a translator sounds very interesting. What career are you looking to get into? Good luck!

Pinto and Sonnyjane, great idea to look into volunteering. Pinto, I like the idea of sticking to a schedule while unemployed.

Thanks for the advice, Smitcompton!

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
Zoe|1374413677|3487175 said:
Sonnyjane, wow, thirteen months? That's scary, but as you said, you weren't alone in trying to figure things out and you had support. I'm trying really hard not to be so "woe is me" and most of the time, I manage. I've heard so many cliches lately (along the lines of "when one door closes another one opens" and "everything happens for a reason"). As corny as they are, I keep repeating them to myself. I like structure, a daily schedule, and everything just-so, and when things aren't like that, I get antsy.

Kelinas, working as a translator sounds very interesting. What career are you looking to get into? Good luck!

Pinto and Sonnyjane, great idea to look into volunteering. Pinto, I like the idea of sticking to a schedule while unemployed.

Thanks for the advice, Smitcompton!

going from being a translator to nursing school.
:)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe,

As a teacher, would you be open to tutoring?

I have friends who work as tutors and do well financially. They work at a private SAT tutoring company that does one on one tutoring, where they help students with homework, SAT prep, college essays, interviewing, etc. Being that this tutoring place is in a ritzy area, parents are paying between $150 and $300 an hour. It blows my mind. One of my friends assisted a family - 7 kids, 7 nannies, and would work with the kids from 2PM to 11PM 4 days a week. She said a lot of times the kids wouldn't do their homework unless she was sitting next to them, but she didn't mind because it was all billable.

I had another friend who worked for Kaplan doing SAT prep in a more "rural" area. As his reputation grew, parents would approach him for private SAT prep, where he would accept $20/hour cash. He said he got it down to a science where a kid would get dropped off, and he'd roll out of bed and start rattling off vocab words to go over. (I think he was exaggerating a little with the rolling out of bed bit...)

I would also suggest posting flyers at local colleges and community colleges, and reach out to each college's academic assistance department. A lot of students have a hard time transitioning from high school to college...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kelinas, good luck in nursing school!

Pinto, I'm definitely open to tutoring and I'm going to look into that as well. I'm also going to reach out to my professors where I went for grad school and see if they may have any suggestions or leads.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Zoe,

I knew you were two states north, but I always forget which one! I used to confuse them in geography class too, haha. Anyway, I think I remember now, and I just googled it -- I believe it's called Early Intervention there. I wonder now if you would need to be a Special Education teacher to work for one of the agencies in the program? Still something you could look into, I guess, to see what the requirement are or if it would even interest you. It sounds like subbing is the way to go. I knew a teacher (just starting out) who worked at my daughter's daycare for a while because she couldn't find a job, then she got a part-time administrative job at one of the school districts, and by the end of that school year, got a teaching job for the next year. Where there's a will, there's a way!

Good luck!!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This subject somewhat applies to what we've been going through off and on for the last 18 years. Ugh!

My husband lost his job 25 months ago. For the first 9 months, there was absolutely no work to be had anywhere. We paid a significant sum out of pocket for him to retrain into a lateral type of position. He got contract work sporadically off of that. He incorporated his own company, so there would be tax benefits. (We're in Canada.) Then he got a long term contract in another province, that gives him a monthly sum. He's been doing this for the last year. He is out of town up to 20 days a month. It's horrendous, but there was no choice in his field. He had the best job, the company was bought out and shut down. Finally, after 2 years of waiting and finding nothing, he has 3 good opportunities coming up this fall. Maybe. Or else he just keeps on doing the contract work. A big part of the problem for us is that HR will hire people who are less experienced and will accept far less pay. This has happened to several opportunities in the past. The contract work he does is a beneath what he is capable of doing, and what he has already done, but the pay is feasible. Not fun at all.

I hope you don't face sudden unemployment. I think it's a good idea to look into incorporating a company for yourself if there's any way you can justify it. That was something we put off doing until this round of unemployment. The tax savings and benefits are worthwhile, and it opens up more opportunities.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1374413677|3487175 said:

I would absolutely recommend the volunteering. It's easy to spiral downward if you're just sitting at home searching for jobs all day. Human interaction kept me sane AND provided some networking opportunities. One woman I volunteered with ended up knowing the man I was about to interview with. I was able to name-drop and suck up to him a little bit because she told me how to stroke his ego. I ended up getting that job and while I'm not working there anymore, that job got me enough experience to eventually apply for my current job, which pays much better. The other benefit to my situation is that I knew that we were moving in January and that I might not be able to find work, so I was able to save up a small safety net over the few months before the move. I also fortunately got about $2,000 in a tax return so that lasted me several months as well (my husband was paying for rent which was the biggest expense). Knowing that times would be lean ahead allowed me to prepare. If I was suddenly laid off/fired without notice, it would have been much more difficult!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
LV, I'm not sure why I was so cryptic in my last post. Sorry! I'm in NH. Ahhh, early intervention! Yes, I believe I'd need to be certified in special ed. I have two certifications but that isn't one of them. Thanks!

Lyra, on and off for 18 years -- I'm sorry to hear that. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things work out in the fall for your husband. My husband was unemployed for 6 months four years ago and it was hard. We made it through though, and we will this time, too.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, Lyra, I forgot to ask, do you mean start a company? I'm a teacher so I'm not sure that's doable.

Sonnyjane, thanks for the info! I agree. if you're let go with no notice, it's kind of a shock. When my husband was let go a few years ago, he had a feeling it would happen because the company had been going through pretty massive lay-offs. He was still shocked the day it happened to him because he was caught off guard. He got to work, was promptly let go, and he had to leave immediately. I guess that's standard procedure, but he felt bad that he couldn't say goodbye to anyone. When I got my notice, I knew it wouldn't take effect until the end of the school year, once my contract ended. I had months to get used to the idea before actually leaving, and I got to say goodbye to friends and co-workers.

Oooh, Sonnyjane, you just reminded me of a volunteer position I had when I was grad school a number of years ago. I worked with the education department (the dept. I was getting my ,asters degree in), and I worked as a site coordinator for a group of college kids who wanted to help kids with reading. We went in to schools and worked with different grade levels and classes to spend time reading with kids 1:1. It was really fun, and I loved the experience. I should ask my former professors if there's a way I could do that again. Since I'm not in a program through the university any longer, I'm not sure it would work, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks again!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I wouldn't want to have to work that was "below" me or where I was overqualified for, obviously, but I do know someone who graduated from college after being top-of-the-class in HS and earning an unusual degree. She's extremely smart and good with people, but after applying everywhere, ended up with a $9.50/hr job here (which is just above min wage for our state). The interesting thing I saw was, even though she was VERY overqualified for the work, she ended up enjoying her time in that job because she met a ton of friends. So, I guess my thought is, if you have to consider working in a field that isn't going to pay you the salary you would want, the next step is to consider looking for one with a great atmosphere even if it pays a lot less. But, that also depends upon your finances/age...she is young & single... She did just decide to go back to school, though, so it looks like that $9.50 job put things in perspective for her...

For me, I was hired for a project that was "below" me financially, but it was a contract position. It ended up being rather a disaster because I was taken advantage and I didn't gain anything from it - meaning, the pay was very low, it didn't add to my resume, and it was boring as hell. So, if I would want the job to at least provide SOMETHING that could add to my resume. I know someone who worked as a grocery store clerk for a few years and then, based on her job performance, c/s skills, etc., landed a really high paying job with a company that has hundreds of applicants a month... you just never know. You have to look at the potential advantage that any job may give you in the future.

If you can sub, that is great. Most of the permanent para-educators I know began as subs.

There are a few things I'd never do...I won't say which store, but I was googling online about one company and it appeared that the employees end up with tons of physical injuries on the job from restocking the shelves all day long. The company paids low but only hires people with degrees and has high expectations - yet gives them $9-10/hr (these are those with master's degrees).

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm...

I was actually in this situation in very late 1990. While I took a few Temp Jobs doing general labor at a fraction of my normal pay - it took a year before I seriously pursued another career path (at a fraction of my previous pay). It took 3 years before I knew that my old "lifelong dream" career of power plant engineering was probably dead forever as the industry I was in continued to bleed people (they cut over 50,000 engineers out of power plants in 3 years). Amazingly a decade later I had a very rare opportunity to get back into power plants (and instantly doubled my recently current income even at entry level pay).

Given what occurred over that decade (1991 - 2001); the various jobs I had. companies going out of business, etc.; how long would it take for me today to consider looking at another career if I were laid off again? Instantly - I am not even sure I would even bother looking for a job in my old career. If I looked within my current career - I would not look hard as they either really want me and my expertise - or they don't want me at all because they wish to hire more novice people that they can pay 1/3 to 1/2 the salary with much less vacation time.

Have a great day,

Perry

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I quit my job because of medical issues, went though some rough things and then decided to go back to school. I haven't worked in a year and a half and it's been driving me crazy! I went back for business administration which is different from what I have experience in, but it's such a versatile degree that it'll help me in any field. I just got my licenses in the field I was previously in and have been interviewing for similar positions for the last 4 months. It's definitely been hard, but I totally think that taking a few part time jobs (like tutoring) that pay well could help. I wish you all the best Zoe!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Kelinas|1374416664|3487202 said:

Well, nursing school will be a time-consuming grind, because all the schools seem to think they have to prove something by by grinding students into the ground so they are buried in work all the time and fewer pass. Just know that going into it. PA still has diploma schools that required just as much college as an associate degree. I did all my non-nurse college first, then 1 year of a 2-year year-round diploma school before quitting. If I had it to do over, I'd have gone med lab and not nursing at all, but I am sci/tech to the bone, abhor motherhood, and I found that nursing made me work on stupid (truly stupid), druggies, street people, and indigent people all day, so that was not my scene.

BUT for you, lol, this might be an opportunity:
There are translation services that smaller hospitals can call up if they get, say, a Korean-speaking person in a hospital where nobody speaks Korean. I would think that maybe you could get yourself a paid on-call job like that on your off-hours, even as a student. R.N. plus the Korean fluency should make you very marketable to the people who operate those call-in translation services. They put the patient on one phone, and doctor and/or med team on another, and both sides talk to each other via the interpreter over that 2-phone rig. The hospital that I did the RN school at subscribed to one of those services.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
TC1987|1374463613|3487529 said:
Kelinas|1374416664|3487202 said:

Well, nursing school will be a time-consuming grind, because all the schools seem to think they have to prove something by by grinding students into the ground so they are buried in work all the time and fewer pass. Just know that going into it. PA still has diploma schools that required just as much college as an associate degree. I did all my non-nurse college first, then 1 year of a 2-year year-round diploma school before quitting. If I had it to do over, I'd have gone med lab and not nursing at all, but I am sci/tech to the bone, abhor motherhood, and I found that nursing made me work on stupid (truly stupid), druggies, street people, and indigent people all day, so that was not my scene.

BUT for you, lol, this might be an opportunity:
There are translation services that smaller hospitals can call up if they get, say, a Korean-speaking person in a hospital where nobody speaks Korean. I would think that maybe you could get yourself a paid on-call job like that on your off-hours, even as a student. R.N. plus the Korean fluency should make you very marketable to the people who operate those call-in translation services. They put the patient on one phone, and doctor and/or med team on another, and both sides talk to each other via the interpreter over that 2-phone rig. The hospital that I did the RN school at subscribed to one of those services.

yeah, i I know that it won't be easy, but I'm going in for a LPN first, and then R'N program.
my idea is, if I'm going to go back to school, go into debt for said.school, I might as well pick a career that I can use for a lifetime.
there will.always be stupid people who think they are evil Kineival, along with your garden variety of thr people you listed, but for a stable career? Im willing to move heaven and earth to make it happen.

then again, that was my thought as a translator- I.didn't think I would ever leave :/
anyways, if I ever move back to Korea, I'll be set/ nurse + native (american) tongue and i speak and understand.Korean like a national?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I left a job because my manager was a totally witch. I didn't apply for any jobs as we were living abroad at the time and didn't have much hope. I did do some substitue teaching but it really wasn't for me. I was unemployed (not really counting the sub. teacher thing) for about 6 months when out of the blue a friend told someone about me who had an open position. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. 4 almost 5 years later I'm still with the company and doing very well. However we are moving again this year. If we go back overseas there is a very good chance my job won't transfer and I might loose it again. I'm really undecided about how I feel about this. I will work my butt off to see if I can transfer to another internal team but there is little I can do if a position that I fit into isn't open. Ah the joys of being a military spouse! :sick:

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
SB621|1374507803|3487694 said:
I left a job because my manager was a totally witch. I didn't apply for any jobs as we were living abroad at the time and didn't have much hope. I did do some substitue teaching but it really wasn't for me. I was unemployed (not really counting the sub. teacher thing) for about 6 months when out of the blue a friend told someone about me who had an open position. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. 4 almost 5 years later I'm still with the company and doing very well. However we are moving again this year. If we go back overseas there is a very good chance my job won't transfer and I might loose it again. I'm really undecided about how I feel about this. I will work my butt off to see if I can transfer to another internal team but there is little I can do if a position that I fit into isn't open. Ah the joys of being a military spouse! :sick:

Whats the job?
I think I recall you saying that you would be going to K16?
I can tell you if that job is prevalent in Korea

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results