shape
carat
color
clarity

Trump Is Selling Out The US To An Unfriendly Foreign Power

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump is selling out the United States to an unfriendly foreign power: the Russians. As Madeline Albright said in her speech to The Democratic National Convention last night, he is not just a threat to US foreign policy, he has already harmed US foreign policy. He should not be meddling in it. He has no role to play; he has no status as he is only a candidate for office, not an elected official appointed by the President, not a member of the Diplomatic Corps or The State Department.

I thought he was just being foolish when he called upon the Russians to "find" Secretary Clinton's e-mails (by hacking them) and release them to the world. Encouraging another country to release memos from one's own country's State Department is certainly reckless, if not unlawful. But then I saw that he has told the Russians that if he is elected president that he may recognize their claim to Crimea, which is part of another sovereign nation. That is clearly beyond the pale.

Link...http://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/07/trump-crimea/493280/

AGBF

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Trump Is Selling Out The US To An Unfriendly Foreign Pow

Is it possible that he simply does not know what he is saying? That he just does not have a clue. And, therein lies the danger, of course.

Quoting the linked article: The question came from Mareike Aden, a German reporter, who asked him whether a President Trump would recognize Crimea as Russian and lift sanctions on Moscow imposed after its 2014 annexation of the Ukrainian territory. The candidate’s reply: “Yes. We would be looking at that.”

I haven't searched, but did he say more than that? Does he have any idea what he would be looking into?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

http://nyti.ms/2ausQ98

He knows what he is saying in regards to encouraging Russia to hack HC's emails.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just when you think he can't possibly get any worse.....he manages to do so.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"At the same news conference, Mr. Trump also appeared to leave the door open to accepting Russia’s annexation of Crimea two years ago — which the United States and its European allies consider an illegal seizure of territory. That seizure, and the continued efforts of Russian-aided insurgents to undermine the government of Ukraine, are the reason that the United States and its allies still have economic sanctions in force against Moscow.

When asked whether he would recognize Crimea 'as Russian territory' and lift the sanctions, Mr. Trump said: 'We’ll be looking at that. Yeah, we’ll be looking.'

Mr. Trump’s apparent willingness to avoid condemning Mr. Putin’s government is a remarkable departure from United States policy and Republican Party orthodoxy, and has fueled the questions about Russian meddling in the campaign. Mr. Trump has denied that, saying at the news conference that he has never met Mr. Putin, and has no investments in Russia.

(snip)

If Mr. Trump is serious in his call for Russian hacking or exposing Mrs. Clinton’s emails, he would be urging a power often hostile to the United States to violate American law by breaking into a private computer network. He would also be contradicting the Republican platform, adopted last week in Cleveland, saying that cyberespionage 'will not be tolerated,' and promising to 'respond in kind and in greater magnitude' to all Chinese and Russian cyberattacks."

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For those of you who just don't get how serious a breach of protocol this was, please read this article;

Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/29/world/europe/russia-trump-clinton-email-hacking.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-ab-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Excerpt:

"Three years later, as Mr. Obama tried to strike a nuclear deal with Iran, congressional Republicans invited Mr. Netanyahu to condemn the proposed accord in a speech to Congress.

While this arguably violated the norms of foreign policy by circumventing the White House on a matter of foreign relations, and by inviting an ally to intervene against the president in a domestic political dispute, Mr. Trump went a large step further in soliciting an adversary, and encouraging it to violate United States law on his behalf.

In the hours after Mr. Trump’s statement, foreign policy and legal analysts struggled to articulate the scale of his deviation from political norms.

William Inboden, a University of Texas professor who served on President George W. Bush’s National Security Council, told Politico the comments were 'an assault on the Constitution' and 'tantamount to treason.'

Carl Bildt, the former Swedish prime minister and foreign minister, wrote on Twitter, 'I never thought a serious candidate for US President could be a serious threat against the security of the West. But that’s where we are.'

It is doubtful that Russia will alter its espionage practices based on public suggestions from Mr. Trump, which some defenders argue was meant as a joke. But Mr. Musgrave worried that such language could weaken norms, even if only slightly, against foreign involvement in American politics.

'Trump is legitimating behaviors that nobody ever thought could be legitimated,' Mr. Musgrave said, calling the incident 'one of those reminders about how fragile norms are.'

Mr. Shapiro, the Brookings Institution scholar, sounded physically exhausted by Mr. Trump’s comments and suggested they were driven by something more banal than collusion with a foreign power.

'To me what it demonstrates is not that he’s necessarily in cahoots with the Russians, or that he’s intending to commit treason or sway the election by this act, but that he just has no sense of what the norms are,' Mr. Shapiro said, adding:

'He has no sense of what an extraordinary statement that was.'”

AGBF

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF|1469674422|4060094 said:
"At the same news conference, Mr. Trump also appeared to leave the door open to accepting Russia’s annexation of Crimea two years ago — which the United States and its European allies consider an illegal seizure of territory. That seizure, and the continued efforts of Russian-aided insurgents to undermine the government of Ukraine, are the reason that the United States and its allies still have economic sanctions in force against Moscow.

When asked whether he would recognize Crimea 'as Russian territory' and lift the sanctions, Mr. Trump said: 'We’ll be looking at that. Yeah, we’ll be looking.'

Mr. Trump’s apparent willingness to avoid condemning Mr. Putin’s government is a remarkable departure from United States policy and Republican Party orthodoxy, and has fueled the questions about Russian meddling in the campaign. Mr. Trump has denied that, saying at the news conference that he has never met Mr. Putin, and has no investments in Russia.

(snip)

If Mr. Trump is serious in his call for Russian hacking or exposing Mrs. Clinton’s emails, he would be urging a power often hostile to the United States to violate American law by breaking into a private computer network. He would also be contradicting the Republican platform, adopted last week in Cleveland, saying that cyberespionage 'will not be tolerated,' and promising to 'respond in kind and in greater magnitude' to all Chinese and Russian cyberattacks."

Hi AGBF - I hog these conversations so what I have to say is succinct: the guy is a national disgrace. Encouraging a nebulous foreign power to interfere in the American political scene is either dumb or close to treason. It's so sad to see a party like the Republican Party the part of LIncoln so broken, so unbelievably full of venom. Hate. Hate. Hate. Anger. :( sad. While I have never agreed with republicans on their supply side econ I do have respect for some of their leaders and wish they were the candidate. Peace!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1469713270|4060170 said:
I wonder why people weren't so alarmed the first time Trump said it?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Democrats are accusing him of violating the Logan Act.

News outlets are saying he hasn't.

My guess is that a whole lot of nothin' will be done about this...which is crap. (there, I said it.)

He should be thrown out of the race and they should replace him with a more suitable candidate.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

House Cat|1469740952|4060327 said:

My guess is that a whole lot of nothin' will be done about this...which is crap. (there, I said it.)

He should be thrown out of the race and they should replace him with a more suitable candidate.
Throw both of them out and start over.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kenny and DF should be the candidates.

The only thing that can make America great is an Octavia in the Oval Office.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1469757489|4060399 said:

:think: ..The first bill we'll pass is ..." all of our cabinet members must sport an OCTAVIA"... :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1469757874|4060402 said:
kenny|1469757489|4060399 said:

:think: ..The first bill we'll pass is ..." all of our cabinet members must sport an OCTAVIA"... :lol:

I second that.
Cabinet members should NOT vary! :lol:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

While Trump needs to clarify his positions regarding Russia (troubling),Clinton needs to explain her Russian connections (also troubling.) She and Bill are connected to Russia obtaining a significant portion of the world's uranium. I had forgotten all about this until I saw this article on Real Clear Politics.

https://pjmedia.com/diaryofamadvoter/2016/07/27/who-is-putins-real-ally/?singlepage=true

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AnnaH|1469813377|4060613 said:
While Trump needs to clarify his positions regarding Russia (troubling),Clinton needs to explain her Russian connections (also troubling.) She and Bill are connected to Russia obtaining a significant portion of the world's uranium. I had forgotten all about this until I saw this article on Real Clear Politics.

https://pjmedia.com/diaryofamadvoter/2016/07/27/who-is-putins-real-ally/?singlepage=true

Here's the whole scenario. http://www.factcheck.org/2015/04/no-veto-power-for-clinton-on-uranium-deal/

Real Clear is a biased conservative site.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/04/24/fox-news-baselessly-blames-hillary-clinton-for/203404

the only accusations I could find or from the right, tea party type sites. and fox

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

The public doesn't know how much HRC was involved. The first article you posted said that there were legit concerns regarding this, but that it was false that Clinton had veto power. She could have sent the issue to the president for his veto, as I understand it.
Real Clear Politics posts leftist publications, such as the NYT and Huffington Post, just two off the top of my head. You'll find plenty of articles that support Clinton and criticize Trump.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock

Dancing Fire|1469750859|4060355 said:
House Cat|1469740952|4060327 said:

Throw both of them out and start over.

You are not the only one that has said that. It may be funny but we better take everything he has said and done and really think hard about it. The mob mentality of his supporters is frightening. I beg everyone I meet, democrat and republican, to research what is being said. The truth is out there if you look for it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results