shape
carat
color
clarity

Travel Advice - Washington DC and NYC

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I need a little help to convince my very headstrong father (ok, it is a family trait) that going by car from Williamsburg to Washington and from Washington to NYC is a terrible idea.

He is convinced that he can get from Williamsburg to central Washington DC in 3 hours. I know that, by the time you add in traffic it will be more like 5. Who is right? He also wants to go to NYC (Manhattan) by car. Once again, I would be laughing my head off if I weren't going to be stuck in the car with him. He is counting on doing that trip in 3 hours.

I just want to get a train to go from city to city and take a taxi there.

Please, help me convince him that a car is a terrible idea! Or convince me that it would be the best thing ever.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've only ever gone to NYC in a car once, and I would never do it again. Lol. I've been to NYC 6-7 times? Twice with my (also very headstrong!) father, who literally feels trapped if he's without a car, and he wouldn't deal with a car in NYC, so we relied on public transit (translation=taxis).

The one time I went in a car, we parked it in Harlem, paid $100 for parking for about 8 hours, and it was a nightmare.

NYC=no car

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Coming back from Montauk once I had to return a borrowed car in the city. It was terrible. We got horribly lost, it was super stressful and it took about 2.5 hours longer than it should have and I had a panic attack/major meltdown along the way. I missed my friend's wedding ceremony and most of the cocktail hour b/c I was so late. I do not recommend it.

I'm from LA. I've been driving here for 18 years. Downtown LA, San Francisco, San Diego... nothing compares to NYC. Not even ballpark. Not even the same game!

Driving in NYC should be left to the experts...You've got to know the city and know *HOW* to drive there. It's not for rookies or the faint of heart.

Car service, okay... Rental car: NO!!!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
The drive from DC to NYC is much long, and mention how crazy the tolls are. I would suggest the Chinatown bus. Costs as much as the tolls without having to deal with parking

Malbec54

Shiny_Rock
I used to love making the trip from DC to NYC, but that was when I had a company car. I used to average 75-80 mph and could get up there in 3.5 hours. It's a lot of wear and tear on the car and the tolls add up.
A few months ago, my fiancé and I made the trek to manhattan and back to DC in one day ---$200 later (that was for tolls, gas, parking, and pizza for lunch). It's do-able, but exhausting.
Yesterday I drove from DC to Asheville, NC and the 7 hour drive was actually 9 due to a few pit stops. Was averaging 75-80 miles per hour on the highway. It was an easy drive because it's a straight shot with no tolls and very little traffic. Despite being double the time, it wasn't even close to how exhausting the DC to NYC drive is...add Williamsburg to it ---UGH! 2.5 hours more---minimum.
I would take the train to save the hassle. You will spend about the same taking VRE/AMTRAK or the Acela if he wants to get up there faster, without the aggravation and hassle of traffic, congestion, and ding dong drivers.

PS --- and plan his trip around rush hour (if he drives) into DC which is from 7-10 am

Malbec54

Shiny_Rock
Forgot to add that there's a bus from DC to NYC -- I think it's Bolt or something like that, and it's 25 bucks. Not sure about the details but I'm sure you could google it...
Good Luck!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Malbec54 said:
Forgot to add that there's a bus from DC to NYC -- I think it's Bolt or something like that, and it's 25 bucks. Not sure about the details but I'm sure you could google it...
Good Luck!

I think the Fung Wa bus goes from NYC-DC. Is this the same thing you're thinking of? I've taken that between Boston and NYC and it was easy and suuuuuper cheap!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Williamsburg to DC by car is do-able, but traffic is going to be an issue unless you time it perfect AND get really lucky. DC itself can be fairly confusing to drive it, although it's manageable and parking is a real hassle. The drivers are ok, but there's always construction and some of the roads change names or go in circles or dog leg in a direction you didn't expect. The Amtrak ticket from Williamsburg to DC is $42- that's less than you will spend on rental and gas for a car!

My DH drives in NYC and he's fine, but I would never. Parking, and directions, and so, so, so much traffic. No way. I've taken both bus and train from DC to NYC. The two main buses are Bolt and MegaBus, they're both fine, cheap, clean, but you won't get to NYC on time. They'll leave on time, but they never seem to account for traffic in the Lincoln Tunnel, so you're always about an hour later than they say you will arrive. They both also leave from a parking lot and drop you off on a corner in NY, so be prepared to a)find these locations, b) drag your luggage with you, and c) wait outside till it's time to board. I think there is also a luggage restriction, but can't swear to that.

Amtrak leaves out of Union Station and drops you off right in Penn Station; it is by far the easiest and most comfortable option. It's also way more expensive than the bus, but probably cheaper than renting a car + gas+ tolls+ parking. My vote is definitely for TRAIN!

I adore Williamsburg; I hope you have some time there- it's one of my favorite vacations!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have lived in and traveled between all three areas in which you are interested in traveling. You and your dad are both correct - depending on the time of day! Optimal driving times occur when you avoid rush hour traffic.

If there is no or minimal traffic, you can drive from Williamsburg to D.C. in about 3 hours. In like conditions, you can get drive from D.C. to NYC in about 4 hours. If you hit traffic as a result of poor planning, all bets regarding those times are off. Additional factors to consider with driving are tolls and parking. There are no tolls from Williamsburg to D.C., but there are tolls from D.C. to NYC. If you don't have an EZ Pass to pay tolls electronically without stopping, you will have to wait for in line for a manned toll booth which will increase your driving time. Also, it can be very expensive to park in D.C. and NYC unless you can find on-street parking. And if you find on-street parking, be sure to mind the rules for times and days parking is allowed. Otherwise, you will receive hefty parking tickets and risk being towed.

Alternatively, you can take Amtrak from Williamsburg to D.C. (Union Station), and then D.C. to NYC (Penn Station), or directly if it's one trip. Train travel time is similar to driving an average pace with no traffic, and generally more reliable since there's no risk of traffic (just track problems or weather related delays or cancellations). The fare from D.C. to NYC depends on time of day. Popular commuter travel hours = higher fare. Booking early, rather than last minute, can also help reduce the fare. The cost of traveling between D.C. and NYC is less per person by bus than by train or car.

There are several options for bus travel between D.C. and NYC, which is much less expensive than train and driving (gas, tolls, parking). I have had good experiences with Bolt and Vamoose. Most of the passengers are professionals and students, there are electric outlets and wi-fi access (though sometimes slow or spotty). Here's an article listing some carriers: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsandliving/travel/busreview/index.html

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you all! I think you may just tip the scales in my favor!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results