shape
carat
color
clarity

Travel Advice: Thanksgiving Break Beach/Warm Vacation.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
DH and I have been living in separate states since October and with all of the running around for work I've been doing lately I find myself craving a vacation where we don't do much but sit on a beach or someplace warm and read, nap, eat, drink. Typically our big trips include hanging out with family or doing a lot of running around. We are the type of people who enjoy activities, museums, gorgeous scenery on a drive. I've never really been the type to want to sit around on a beach all day for a week which is why these beach vacation urges sort of surprise me!

Anyway, I have a ton of Southwest points thanks to all this business travel that I can trade for Air Train A+ Rewards credits to use to travel to their destinations. Right now I have enough to get us two roundtrip coach tickets.

Problem is, I'm torn about where to go. We would be going around the week of Thanksgiving. My first instinct was CABO!!!!!! but there are warm destinations within the US or in the Caribbean that we can travel to as well. My mother suggested FL panhandle or TX coast.

So tell me about Galveston, Florida (non super touristy places) and Cabo. Or any other destination that you think might be suitable for us on Air Tran's routes. http://airtran.innosked.com/(S(zhzlhl55q5qzbz45icxo04av))/Default.aspx

As for accomodation- we tend to move away from all-inclusives unless they are more low-key, not Disney-landish, and authentic-feeling. We would prefer somethign with fewer children if we go for a resort. We are also considering vacation rentals so we can cook for ourselves or B&Bs/small inns. I would like to spend $2k or less on lodging, food, and transportation outside of our airfare.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, comments, stories. We know next to nothing about both Cabo and Galveston/Gulf coast TX.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh, you are lucky. It is cold and rainy here today and a warm beach sounds wonderful! I am wanting to go to Hawaii, but it looks like that isn't an option on your map.

I would go with Cabo. It's warm and prices would be affordable. I wasn't sure about crime in that part and just googled and it appears that Cabo is a safe destination for traveling in Mexico. I haven't been there but have been to two other parts of Mexico and loved them.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure Galveston or the panhandle will be warm in November? In my experience, they are cool (around 50-60 degrees in the day) at that time of year.

I would suggest South Florida, possible even the Keys. Didn't check your plane routes, but if you can fly into Miami, I would suggest Key Biscayne (small island off Miami), which is nice. But remember, Thanksgiving is a very busy time for anywhere warm in the states.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1366386798|3430464 said:
Are you sure Galveston or the panhandle will be warm in November? In my experience, they are cool (around 50-60 degrees in the day) at that time of year.

I would suggest South Florida, possible even the Keys. Didn't check your plane routes, but if you can fly into Miami, I would suggest Key Biscayne (small island off Miami), which is nice. But remember, Thanksgiving is a very busy time for anywhere warm in the states.

I had wondered that about Galveston/panhandle but hadn't gotten around to checking weather stats. I think you are right, though. I would need to be further south. I'll consider the keys. I've been once but I was only 20 and I had a totally different perspective.

MC- I want to go to Hawaii too! I haven't been and its such a short haul from where we live in the Bay Area (or will be living together once I am done in Utah). I'm so bummed that Air Tran stopped going there.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

That reminds me...when I was 18, my mom and I flew to FL (miami and along the coast) around Feb and packed only shorts. We froze our butts off. lol ;))

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
My first reaction to Galveston (and no offense to anyone from there) was "ewww" when it comes to beaches lol! Brown water...no thanks! But I'm spoiled. I have lived in some places with amazing beaches, and my family is actually from the Florida panhandle (Destin) which has some of the best beaches in the country.. sugary white sand, clear, warm water... BUT... in NOVEMBER... you're going to be laying on the beach in a coat lol! It's definitely into the 40's and 50's and the water will be freezing.

Do Cabo. I'm researching a Cabo trip currently myself in September (I'm in San Diego so it's not far for me either). I'm looking into some of the smaller, more high-end all-inclusives (Zoetry, Pueblo Bonito Pacifica, and Secrets Marquis) - less "Spring Break" feeling. I'm having a hard time deciding but the pictures on TripAdvisor are all great!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about the British Virgin Islands? We went for our honeymoon and it was awesome. Pretty inexpensive to get to and stay, too. The food isn't amazing though.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1366387643|3430475 said:
What about the British Virgin Islands? We went for our honeymoon and it was awesome. Pretty inexpensive to get to and stay, too. The food isn't amazing though.

I've gone! He hasn't though. Not an option on the Air Tran routes, though.

SJ- Thanks for the suggestions on Cabo resorts!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clairitek|1366387176|3430468 said:

I had wondered that about Galveston/panhandle but hadn't gotten around to checking weather stats. I think you are right, though. I would need to be further south. I'll consider the keys. I've been once but I was only 20 and I had a totally different perspective.

MC- I want to go to Hawaii too! I haven't been and its such a short haul from where we live in the Bay Area (or will be living together once I am done in Utah). I'm so bummed that Air Tran stopped going there.

Ah, that sucks, huh? I'd be flying out of Seattle. We'll be going within a couple of years. We've talked about it in the past but (and I know this sounds ridiculous) but we just rewatched Lost (and the boys watched it with us) and now I'm absolutely set on going there. I would like to go for a great family vacation before my kids are too teenagerish to want to hang out with us. My older is 12 and already a bit like that. lol! Unfortuntely, DH now is talking about going to CA this summer instead...I do love it there, but we've already visited quite a few times...I want HAWAII! :love: (and I don't want to go to Disneyland again...hahaha They don't even serve drinks there :knockout: )

ETA - and your location is another reason to go to Cabo...short flight! That is a plus.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
What about Punta Cana? I've book 3 trips there in the past few days (I'm a p/t travel agent), it's really popular. It's one of the more affordable locations in the Caribbean, after Cancun.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1366391720|3430530 said:
What about Punta Cana? I've book 3 trips there in the past few days (I'm a p/t travel agent), it's really popular. It's one of the more affordable locations in the Caribbean, after Cancun.

I've been to the Dominican Republic before. I was pretty young, though. It's an option, though pretty far from us.

Any suggestions for higher end resorts there? I think if we end up going resort we will cull back the trip to 4 nights and stay at a more expensive and posh place. The stuff that's in our budget for a whole week just doesn't sit well with me after reading Trip Advisor reviews.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek|1366393128|3430553 said:

I've been to the Dominican Republic before. I was pretty young, though. It's an option, though pretty far from us.

Any suggestions for higher end resorts there? I think if we end up going resort we will cull back the trip to 4 nights and stay at a more expensive and posh place. The stuff that's in our budget for a whole week just doesn't sit well with me after reading Trip Advisor reviews.

I really like this property-

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147293-d1199681-Reviews-Luxury_Bahia_Principe_Ambar_Don_Pablo_Collection-Punta_Cana_La_Altagracia_Province_Dom.html

Depending on where you book there are some specials going on right now. I wish I could contact you off of here to give you the info...

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek|1366393128|3430553 said:

Punts Cana is a long trip for you - for 4 days only that's quite a lot of flying. I have an unwritten understanding with DH that if it's 6 hours or more of travel time, we'll stay a week lol. The resorts I've been looking at in Cabo are pricing out at around $2,000 for 4 nights including airfare, food, and drinks, which to me is nice, and that's for a suite, not a standard room. If/when you DO go to Hawaii, I can't recommend the Grand Hyatt Kauai enough. I went last year around this time and already want to go back. The pools absolutely blew me away. There is an adult only pool, a lazy river, waterslides, a family pool, secret caves, and a giant sandy-bottom lagoon pool as well. It was magical! And they deliver food and drinks to your chair. Perfect. My definition of heaven. We got married on Maui and I prefer Maui to Kauai as an island, but there is nothing on Maui to compare to those pools at Grand Hyatt Kauai, even the Four Seasons and other $$$$ resorts on Maui.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Ah, I just saw that you are on my side of the country. You might want to check out Puerto Vallarta as well.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cheesy as the movie was, I always thought the concept of trading homes in the movie "The Holiday" was intriguing!

Have you ever looked into it?

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I would pick Cabo. Check out The One & Only Palmilla Resort, it's amazing. We've been there twice and it's so incredibly relaxing, gorgeous, and luxurious :bigsmile:

https://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/one-and-only-palmilla-los-cabos

I just received an email from them the other day with some decent deals, stay 4 nights/pay for 3. And I think they had a stay for 7/ pay for 6 as well. Their restaurants are top notch, you never even have to leave the property if you don't want to.

However, Cabo beaches aren't great for swimming. Lots of undertow and many waves (large) crash right on the beach. The 2 pools at Palmilla are incredible though, and the pool side service is awesome.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clairitek|1366385988|3430453 said:
DH and I have been living in separate states since October and with all of the running around for work I've been doing lately I find myself craving a vacation where we don't do much but sit on a beach or someplace warm and read, nap, eat, drink. Typically our big trips include hanging out with family or doing a lot of running around. We are the type of people who enjoy activities, museums, gorgeous scenery on a drive. I've never really been the type to want to sit around on a beach all day for a week which is why these beach vacation urges sort of surprise me!

Anyway, I have a ton of Southwest points thanks to all this business travel that I can trade for Air Train A+ Rewards credits to use to travel to their destinations. Right now I have enough to get us two roundtrip coach tickets.

Problem is, I'm torn about where to go. We would be going around the week of Thanksgiving. My first instinct was CABO!!!!!! but there are warm destinations within the US or in the Caribbean that we can travel to as well. My mother suggested FL panhandle or TX coast.

So tell me about Galveston, Florida (non super touristy places) and Cabo. Or any other destination that you think might be suitable for us on Air Tran's routes. http://airtran.innosked.com/(S(zhzlhl55q5qzbz45icxo04av))/Default.aspx

As for accomodation- we tend to move away from all-inclusives unless they are more low-key, not Disney-landish, and authentic-feeling. We would prefer somethign with fewer children if we go for a resort. We are also considering vacation rentals so we can cook for ourselves or B&Bs/small inns. I would like to spend $2k or less on lodging, food, and transportation outside of our airfare.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, comments, stories. We know next to nothing about both Cabo and Galveston/Gulf coast TX.

Cabo
FL
Texas

been to all of them, Cabo has the most beautiful scenery, FL the best beaches and TX, well it's got great barbecue. VRBO.. I tried to get a VRBO for the month of Feb in TX and couldn't find anything :(

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Zombie thread! Wonder where the OP ended up going as it was three years ago?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results