shape
carat
color
clarity

Tragic situation and 3 amazing cats need a loving home(s).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Tragic situation and 3 amazing cats need a loving home(s

Effe, Thank you so much for your recommendation. I have heard of them and will keep them in mind should the need arise.

I contacted this organization on Friday (before I realized the cats couldn't travel that far) because I heard great things about them from some of my animal rescue friends.

http://www.urrkn.com/

I have not yet heard back from them but it was over the weekend so maybe they will contact me this week. However since we are not transporting the cats thousands of miles away I don't need their help. I am very willing to drive the cats hundreds of miles away as I think that would be less traumatic to them. I don't know what is the maximum time over which they should not be in the car so I don't have an exact number in mind but I am thinking they would probably be OK with a 4 hour drive? I am just guessing here though. I am mainly limited by how long these cats can travel safely and not affect their health due to the trauma and stress of traveling.

CJ, this family is located over 2200 miles away and I have spoken with veterinarians and animal rescue people and they all say it is a terrible idea to transport these 12 year old cats that far away. And the woman who volunteered to take them also spoke with her family member who is in the veterinarian field and told her it was a bad idea. So everyone agrees. Believe me this broke my heart all over again because I thought we had an amazing couple to adopt Zeke, Theo and Yoshi. But it just isn't going to be possible. Thank you for brainstorming to try making it work though and I appreciate that.

Asscher girl, that is a great idea. Problem here is that all the animal sanctuaries seem to be full and never able to take additional animals and my friend has not made any provisions for her cats unfortunately and her family does not care about them. And J is not leaving any money for their care. I am course are willing to donate if I could get them in but I am not sure that will be enough since it won't be the same as if J had the cats taken care of in her trust and donated enough to care for them for the rest of their lives.

And California seems to be a much more animal kind state. At least that is my perception.

I wasn't going to get into this but basically I am the only one who is trying to find them a good home. Her close friends told me if a good home can't be found they are going to bring the cats to a NYC shelter. We all know what is going to happen to them there. They told me oh we will bring them to a "No Kill" NYC shelter. I explained (but their eyes glazed over and they just don't care) there is really no such thing because the shelters find an excuse and then the animals are brought elsewhere to be "euthanized" i.e. murdered. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks LLJsmom.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock

Gosh that is just so sad. I'm sorry you are the only one trying to help those sweet kitties. I'm surprised she didn't leave any funds in a trust/etc for them but I guess we're past that point to dwell on it now. That's too bad there aren't more cat retirement home options in that area. This is the place we spoke to and included instructions in our Trust for our 2 boys. http://www.bluebellcats.org Maybe you could reach out to them to see if they have a network of other similar organization? Maybe there are some smaller homes that you haven't found online yet that this group might know of. Good luck in your search, it's a very sweet thing you are doing :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you asscher girl. I just emailed them and will keep you posted. I so appreciate all the good wishes and thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008|1474211024|4078059 said:
ETA Also Missy - can you be specific as to areas you can drive them to within a day (like just throw out some perimeter towns/places from where she is) - for people who are not from the area, and I don't know maybe even from people who are, mentioning specifics might open up some ideas/people they haven't thought of.

missy - I want to make sure you didn't miss this.

If you saw it but don't think it would be helpful, or whatever, don't worry, that's fine - just want to make sure you didn't miss it since I do think it might help.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ, sorry I'm being dense this morning. Doing lots of things right now and juggling many projects atm.
Please explain exactly what info you think would be helpful. I am not detailing specifics because if this PSer wanted this posted here she would have posted herself instead of emailing me privately. That's why I'm not going into details about the location. But the cats are now living in Brookkyn NY and I will drive them to anyone who is within a 4 or 5 hour drive and again I'm just guessing that will be a safe (i.e. not too long a) trip for the cats.

Posting from my phone on the go so please excuse any typos/errors.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, no, please don't worry :/

I thought maybe identifying which towns/places are within a 4 hour drive might be helpful rather than having to guess...like what towns are within a 4-5 hour drive from Brooklyn, NY. If you're not from the area you might not know whether any town in Long Island would be good, or any town in NJ, or x state. Like a perimeter area.

I don't know. I'm not explaining it good.

(and trust me I totally get her wanting to stay private. So I definitely don't want anything that she might feel is too much information or potentially identifiable info.)

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So sorry to hear of both J and the cats' sad news, Missy. I can ask two of my relatives if they have any interest or are aware of resources. One does volunteer work with kittens and the other has had multiple cats in the past and my be interested in having more.

In the meantime, have you contacted the cat cafes in NYC to see if they are able to accept J's cats? One of the cafes, Kenoko, seems particularly interested in older or less friendly furballs that are slated to be euthanized. The article I'm linking to mentions several cafes and Anjellicle Cats Rescue, an organization that helps cats that are in most need of a new home, that partners with Kenoko. https://www.timeout.com/newyork/blog/youll-soon-have-four-cat-cafes-to-choose-from-in-nyc-092815

CJ, if you have a person or place in mind but aren't sure about time or distance of travel to a particular location, mapquest is a useful tool. mapquest.com

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mary poppins|1474311420|4078453 said:
CJ, if you have a person or place in mind but aren't sure about time or distance of travel to a particular location, mapquest is a useful tool. mapquest.com

No, I don't...

I was almost working backwards. Location might = thinking of someone I haven't thought of yet.

And I know mapquest, and Google maps.

Thanks.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mary poppins|1474311420|4078453 said:
So sorry to hear of both J and the cats' sad news, Missy. I can ask two of my relatives if they have any interest or are aware of resources. One does volunteer work with kittens and the other has had multiple cats in the past and my be interested in having more.

In the meantime, have you contacted the cat cafes in NYC to see if they are able to accept J's cats? One of the cafes, Kenoko, seems particularly interested in older or less friendly furballs that are slated to be euthanized. The article I'm linking to mentions several cafes and Anjellicle Cats Rescue, an organization that helps cats that are in most need of a new home, that partners with Kenoko. https://www.timeout.com/newyork/blog/youll-soon-have-four-cat-cafes-to-choose-from-in-nyc-092815

Thank you so much Mary Poppins. That is incredibly kind of you to ask your relatives.
Thanks for the cat cafe idea too. I will look into it.

CJ, OK I see what you mean. Suffice it to say if there is a good home for these 3 cats and it is drivable I will drive it. Thanks so much for your input. I appreciate it.

asscher_girl said:
Gosh that is just so sad. I'm sorry you are the only one trying to help those sweet kitties. I'm surprised she didn't leave any funds in a trust/etc for them but I guess we're past that point to dwell on it now. That's too bad there aren't more cat retirement home options in that area. This is the place we spoke to and included instructions in our Trust for our 2 boys. <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.bluebellcats.org</span> Maybe you could reach out to them to see if they have a network of other similar organization? Maybe there are some smaller homes that you haven't found online yet that this group might know of. Good luck in your search, it's a very sweet thing you are doing :))

asscher girl, they called me back and were so lovely. They don't know of any similar organizations on the east coast but she suggested I contact the ASPCA to see if they know of any truly good animal sanctuaries since animal sanctuaries are not regulated so finding a reputable one is critical. I just wanted to let you know how nice they were and that they were very responsive. Thank you again.

I have another potential home for all 3 cats so please everyone think good thoughts for them to find their loving "furever" home. So far each one has fallen through so I don't want to get my hopes up but well I am getting my hopes up. And J is onboard with having any potential adopters visit her cats at her home so that is a big relief because I was worried about that. And it looks like she will be doing at home hospice which would also be great for her not to have to move to unfamiliar surroundings. Unfortunately she cannot make the trip back home because she is too weak to travel but at least she can stay in her home. Thank you all for your continued good thoughts and help. (((Hugs))).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1474316593|4078493 said:
CJ, OK I see what you mean. Suffice it to say if there is a good home for these 3 cats and it is drivable I will drive it. Thanks so much for your input. I appreciate it.

I have another potential home for all 3 cats so please everyone think good thoughts for them to find their loving "furever" home. So far each one has fallen through so I don't want to get my hopes up but well I am getting my hopes up. And J is onboard with having any potential adopters visit her cats at her home so that is a big relief because I was worried about that. And it looks like she will be doing at home hospice which would also be great for her not to have to move to unfamiliar surroundings. Unfortunately she cannot make the trip back home because she is too weak to travel but at least she can stay in her home. Thank you all for your continued good thoughts and help. (((Hugs))).

OK missy.

I just hope it's obvious I was trying to help, and not create extra work or anything odd. :/ For some reason I worry a little about this, maybe because it's you and I'd hate if anything came off different than I intended. so just needed to say that. ::)

but the important thing is that you found another potential home and I'm so glad to hear that. I'll keep my fingers crossed for J and for the cats.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ, I know where you are coming from and I know your heart is in the best place. Thank you for caring. (((Hugs))).

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Missy,
I'm glad you were able to get ahold of them, they are the sweetest group aren't they? I'm sorry they didn't have any relationships with similar cat sanctuaries/retirement homes in your area though :(

I'm glad to hear you have another lead! I hope this one pans out, fingers, toes and paws crossed. Keep us updated.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you Asscher girl and yes they were super sweet.

I am disappointed as I heard nothing from the other couple who were interested in meeting and hopefully adopting all 3 cats. They were supposed to call me yesterday but I haven't heard anything yet. Fingers, toes and yes paws all crossed we get a wonderful family to adopt all 3. :pray:

lulu

Ideal_Rock

Missy, we take our cats cross country twice each year (Michigan-Florida) and they do fine. We've done it driving straight through in the car for 22 hours,in the car and stopping in a motel for the night, and in a motor home. I've done it with kittens and senior cats and they do fine. In fact our 19 year old Margaret loved it and sat on DH's shoulder while he drove.

Granted, they're not thrilled and I should add that we don't do cages-they are free range. (I do understand the safety risks) They will not be traumatized for life and I wouldn't hesitate to travel with them if there was a loving home for all three waiting for them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for sharing your experience Lulu and I am glad your cats do fine with the trip every year.

The difference is this trip is over 1K more miles than the distance from Michigan to Florida. Plus Js cats are 12 years old and have never ever traveled in a car for any distance so there is no telling how stressful a trip that is over 2400-2500 miles in a car will be for them. It would take more than double the hours your trip takes.

We could not possibly do free range as they have never car traveled and the thought of them having to be in a carrier for so many hours each day with no access to the litter box and other challenges for these senior cats all make it not safe for them. I could only imagine how stressful this could be for them. These cats have a very different life and experience than your well traveled kitties.

I was advised by 3 separate professionals not to make this trip with them due to the trauma it could cause. However I am glad you shared your experience and thank you because it is always good to hear what works for others. If these cats were younger, if the veterinarian gave his/her OK that they could travel that far and if I had someone who would drive them thousands of miles across country that might be an alternative.

lulu

Ideal_Rock

Missy, I hope you find a place for them. I wish I could take them but the two cats and dog are a full house for us right now. Praying for a good outcome for them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lulu|1474419931|4079048 said:
Missy, I hope you find a place for them. I wish I could take them but the two cats and dog are a full house for us right now. Praying for a good outcome for them.

Aww thank you so much Lulu. And I am sorry if I sounded cranky in my last post to you. I appreciate your thoughts I really do despite how my reply might have sounded. I am just not in a good head space because of what is going on with J and her cats.

It's like one huge tragedy on top of another and I am overwhelmed by the situation. Nothing we can do for J but just be there for her and keep her company and make her as comfortable as possible. But there is something I can do for her cats but it seems an almost impossible task to find a loving home (that is within a few hours driving distance) for 3 senior kitties. And now that J is doing at home hospice we don't know exactly when her kitties need that home so an added complication. If we find people who will adopt them will they be willing to wait an undetermined amount of time?

Sorry for my rambling. Just getting it out helps me sort my thoughts a bit.

Attaching some photos of them as babies.

theoandyoshiasbabies.jpg

theoyoshizekeasbabies.jpg

theoadorable.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy,

Thank you for sharing the additional photos of Zeke, Theo and Yoshi. These three guys were adorable kittens and are beautiful cats.

Its wonderful of you to try to find them a new home. I really hope a new home is found soon that will provide Zeke, Theo and Yoshi with a loving, stable environment in which they can remain together.

I find it sad and disturbing that others in your friend's life don't understand the importance of trying to keep these guys together, safe and in a caring home. They're not pieces of furniture that can be discarded if not wanted; they're living creatures.

Try to stay strong and hopeful. Even if 100 possible new home leads fall through, you only need 1 to work out.

Continuing to keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers, and hoping a new home will soon be found.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've been following this sad situation, and praying something comes through for these sweet kitties.I applaud your steadfastness in trying to find them a new home, Missy. You're a kind-hearted, strong person, and I have faith something will work out soon, and wish for peace & comfort for your friend. I wish I knew of someone up in that area who might be able to help, take them in, and will keep my ears open. :wavey:

I have read about some hospitals & assisted living facilities that have "resident pets" to help aid/comfort those living/receiving treatment there, since just sitting and petting a cat brings a lot of peace/calm to a person. Have you considered reaching out to a couple of them maybe to see if they might be open to letting the fur-family 'retire' there together? Just a thought.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy, just wanted to let you know I am still thinking of you and hoping for good news for the kitties soon.

Fwiw, I think anyone would be willing to wait to bring the kitties home. If you are willing to give 3 older kitties a home, you are likely to understand the bond and let them stay as long as your friend is able.

Please do follow up with the pilot group. The smaller planes are often less traumatic than the airliners and they move animals like this all the time. That may actually be easier on them than a long car ride. (one of ours hates the car and even 15 minutes is massive stress on him)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you December Fire, JoCoJenn and Too Patient. I appreciate your good wishes for the kitties and for J.

Too Patient, thank you for reminding me as they never got back to me so I will touch base with them again.
I can only imagine how overwhelmed they must be with requests but it would be amazing if I could find a transport flight willing to take them because this couple who are so far away would give them a wonderful home.

I spoke with my sister who doesn't know these cats personally but she said that it wouldn't necessarily be too traumatic for them to fly if we could find a suitable flight who takes cats and not in cargo. So I have feelers out and am waiting to hear back.

Thank you all again for your suggestions, thoughts and prayers and good wishes for these cats and for J.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If a flight might work, reach out to your local EAA (experimental aircraft association). Out local group helped arrange a chain of flights for something similar once. (airplane people often love kitties!).

Also try AOPA (aircraft owners and pilots association) for similar help.

If you feel comfortable posting starting and ending locations, I can try sending a few emails to people I know who may be able to help or know someone who can.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TooPatient|1474477570|4079273 said:
If a flight might work, reach out to your local EAA (experimental aircraft association). Out local group helped arrange a chain of flights for something similar once. (airplane people often love kitties!).

Also try AOPA (aircraft owners and pilots association) for similar help.

If you feel comfortable posting starting and ending locations, I can try sending a few emails to people I know who may be able to help or know someone who can.

Hi TooPatient, could you contact me here?
Thanks!

https://loupetroop.com/listings/other/for-elliot-its-missy

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sent!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Why can't they travel? There are people on the horse boards who relocated with barn cats who'd never ever traveled. They put their barn cats in large crates in the horse trailer, which has to be a lot more noisy and stressful than traveling in any car or passenger van. These cats aren't all that old, really, unless they have serious health problems. (I didn't read the whole thread.) Why couldn't they travel in a minivan in something big, like a couple of dog crates, with a litterbox and water bottle in each? My experience has been even my most fractious cat has settled down after 2 hours. Covering the cage or crate seems to help them feel more secure and keeps the sun off them. One of my current cats always flips his cat bed over top of him and rides the entire trip that way, short or long haul. My cats have taken cues from me. If I'm calm and showing no worry, then the cats will settle down provided windows are closed, cages are in shade, radio is low volume, and fan or AC isn't roaring loud or blowing air directly on them. One of mine talks and howls for about a half hour but I found that if nobody talks back, he'll calm down faster. (I usually have him riding in the passenger seat, and I am sure what his mood and body language are because I can easily see him.)

eta: If you have 2 people, it would be easy to just move the cats crates and all out of the vehicle and into a hotel room for the night and back to the vehicle the next day. Cats can actually cope with change.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OK the long distance adoption is off due to the advice of veterinarian professionals who this long distance couple are consulting. So thank you everyone but back to looking for a local home to adopt Js cats.

Thank you so much TooPatient for going to the trouble to see what you could do.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for all of that detailed information, AdaBeta. It's good to know in case there comes a time when I will want or need to travel further than locally with my cat.

Still sending good thoughts for J and the kitties, Missy. No luck yet with the relatives I asked.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you Mary Poppins and Ada.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock

Missy I'm truely sadened to read this. I hope something comes through for these 3 kitties and your friend finds some peace of mind.Have someone in mind that maybe would be able to take them in, but it's about a 10 hour drive and a different country. I came across this old article, wounder if you reach out to him if he could maybe help. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

http://narrative.ly/sean-casey-pet-rescuer/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cluless said:
Missy I'm truely sadened to read this. I hope something comes through for these 3 kitties and your friend finds some peace of <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">mind.Have</span> someone in mind that maybe would be able to take them in, but it's about a 10 hour drive and a different country. I came across this old article, wounder if you reach out to him if he could maybe help. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://narrative.ly/sean-casey-pet-rescuer</span>/

Cluless, thank you and thank you for the article. Heartwarming and maybe there is potential there. I will reach out to him.

I know a few rescue groups/people and in fact we adopted our Bobby from a man just like Sean Casey. His name is Doug Halsey and like Sean he is also an amazing man. Doug goes from shelter to shelter and saves the animals they are about to "euthanize" that day. He saved Bobby (our cat) the day he was about to be killed at a NYC shelter (for no reason other than they have to make excuses because they have no space) and we adopted him from Doug. Doug takes all the money he makes from his day job and uses it to save animals. It is amazing that people like this exist in the world and I am grateful beyond words there are people like these young men and women who are willing to undertake this work that is quite often truly gut wrenching and heart breaking work.

The problem is there are not enough people doing this and they just don't have enough money to save all the animals who desperately need to be rescued. It is heartbreaking on so many levels and I am hoping fervently for the day we become truly a no kill nation. Sorry to repeat this quote but it is one that is near and dear to my heart. One day I hope this will be a reality. Where animal lives are valued not as property but as living beings who deserve to live.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi "

Some sobering statistics about shelters and how many cats and dogs are murdered by them each year.

http://www.aspca.org/animal-homelessness/shelter-intake-and-surrender/pet-statistics

Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats.
Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results