shape
carat
color
clarity

Toddlers & Tiara's

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I'm watching the show right now....and wow. :-o

A 3 year old is doing pageants and they're putting make up and mascara on her!!!! Plus masking tap on her shoulders so the dress stays up :errrr:

What are your thoughts on these shows?

I personally think some of these parents are :loopy:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure, I watched a whole season on Netflix and while I first was shocked the more I thought about it the more it seemed okay with me. If the little girls are really enjoying themselves then why not? Sure one could argue that it creates unrealistic expectations but at the same time it could also build a lot of positives in these girls. Only time will tell...

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1294890125|2821347 said:
Not sure, I watched a whole season on Netflix and while I first was shocked the more I thought about it the more it seemed okay with me. If the little girls are really enjoying themselves then why not? Sure one could argue that it creates unrealistic expectations but at the same time it could also build a lot of positives in these girls. Only time will tell...

I really don't know how to justify putting make-up on a 3 year old and fake eyelashes/mascara, regardless. Another parent was having her child's eyebrows waxed..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not a fan. I think it's mostly the Mom's living out their dream.. The kids are puppets.. Very sad.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh|1294891212|2821365 said:
Not a fan. I think it's mostly the Mom's living out their dream.. The kids are puppets.. Very sad.

Yeah, exactly. I honestly don't think many of these little girls really enjoy it...

I watched an episode where the child was berating the mother and talking like a 20 year old diva... she would throw a temper tantrum and get any little thing she wanted. I think she was 3 or 4? But she had a mouth on her like an adult.

ETA this little girl absolutely loved the pageants. I just don't want to know what she's like when she's older if she continues down the same path.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1294891360|2821367 said:

Yeah, exactly. I honestly don't think many of these little girls really enjoy it...

I see the Mom's pulling on their hair with curling irons, the kids are crying.. Mom says look you are going for this, and that's why we are here.. We spent $$ getting you here.. Like it's the kids choice?? Nope, I think it's abuse of some sort...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah.. I made it through about half of one episode once. Then they showed a mum spraytanning her 6yo and saying "the darker the better, that's what judges like to see" and my stomach quite literally churned.

This can't be healthy for a young girl's development of identity, cultural phenomenon or not, widespread in certain areas or not. There are so many ways to encourage grace and comfort in public performance that do not also teach that you can win on your looks - which, ultimately, is what these 'pageants' are about :knockout:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1294891360|2821367 said:

Speaking as a mom of daughters (and sons) I think its beyond gross. Its so creepy seeing those girls decked out in full make up. My 11 year old daughter came home from school recently and told me a girl at school was talking about show and how she loves to watch it. My daughter asked if she could too. I showed her clips online of what it was and wanted to konw what she thought. I would never let her watch it, however I wanted her to see what this other girl was going on an on about and explain why I think its wrong. Thankfully my daughter was grossed out by it. My teenage son came into the room and he was horrified by it.

I think it sexualizes young girls in a disturbing way.

Does anyone else have that image of Jon Benet Ramsey in their head when they think of little girl pageants? The frst time the world heard about her murder, the pageant images were everywhere from her and the mom was vilified for having her participate in pageants. and as a footnote after hte mom died, it was proven the parents were innocent.

But back on topic, I agree totally its the moms living out their dreams and treating their kids like puppets.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate the show. The girls' and their moms' attitudes are horrible, and I just don't get the need for the girls to be dressed up like adults. I'm not a huge fan of pageants in general though, but especially not for little girls.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
The majority of those mothers are trying to live vicariously through their children, and it's sickening.

I did watch one episode, however, where the mom made all of her daughters dresses and didn't go for "glam", just made the little girl look like, well, a little girl. And she placed. Those kind of moms I understand. Plus the little girl was totally into it and just loved dressing up and playing like she was an adult. She wasn't being tortured like some of the other kids.

I was in pageants as a child. Back when it didn't cost an arm and a leg to do it. I only did it for a few years but it was totally fun for me and my mom was never a jerk about it.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
DD's childhood friend's mom runs just such a pageant. It is called Miss Hemisphere . I think you can even check it out on FB. The girl and her cousin even appeared on an episode of Todllers and Tiaras as coaches for a 3 year old. (the friend is 18 and the cousin is 16).

These pageants are a racket andI do not agree with what they do, but many girls and boys have won trips and scholarships. I don't think the girl's mom makes a lot of money running the actaul pageants, but they must make a lot from coaching (private at home) and giving acting, modelling, and stage presentation skills lessons plus the mandatory photographs.

ETA; i also forgot about the sponsors they want each entrant to round up to pay for all the photos (amazing).

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is just disgusting...I can't imagine the issues these little girls will have in a few years...

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I don't know how I feel about this show...sometimes I get creeped out--like when the little girls yell at their parents are the parents jump up and do whatever is demanded of them...but sometimes I get it, it's an activity that some of the kids really enjoy and I think allowing kids to explore their interests is important and healthy.

Life is about balance.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's very bizarre. It seems to be regional. I'd be very surprised to learn that there are pageants like these in New England. I wonder if they have pageants for toddlers in other countries, or if this is a uniquely American phenomenon.

I don't know why the parents would agree to go on the tv program, since it so obviously makes fun of the parents and their choices.

I also feel badly for the parents who are so tightly wrapped up in these pageants and who spend money that they do not appear to have on costumes and various trainers, when their limited resources might be better spent elsewhere, or better, saved for their child's future.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I find the parents pitiful...seems like many are living a dream through their children. The hair, makeup, false teeth, false tans...just too much for me. I think kids are beautiful without all of this so called glam. I'd think this is sending the wrong message to the child. I'm not a fan of any so called "beauty" pageants.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Babies as sex objects.
That's just Great!

Nice to hear about what's on TV these days. :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results