shape
carat
color
clarity

Today I saw a cognac diamond!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
We are visiting my DHs family and I popped into a pawn shop just for kicks. There I saw some "stuff" and then also some other "stuff" held in a safe. Out came a 1.46 ct cognac diamond! The appraisal which was held by the shop owner indicated that it was a VS2/SI stone and truthfully because it looked deeper than ideal it faced up like a 1 ct. When viewed with the loupe I saw an inclusion through the table. But my (40+) eyes, this stone sparkled like mad. It was not ideal cut, in fact, I have no other specs on the cut itself but from what I saw it looked like the girdle was on the thick side but boy did it sparkle!
36.gif
Her asking price was $2k for the stone. Not that I have the money for that right now (I''d rather buy a nice pendant or earring or 5-7 stone ring for my 15th anniversary~I''m already working DH for this), but hey, it was worth the free look.
20.gif

Any thoughts? I know we are an opinionated bunch here so don''t be shy. Let''s hear it.

I know nothing about cognac stones. All I know is that this stone had a lot of sparkle.
36.gif
Even DH was surprised.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 1 carat would probably cost less... and "ideal cut" might not mean the same proportions for a colored stone. Perhaps some "ideal" standard can be set up, but chances are it would be different.

You might want to take a look at fancydiamonds.net for some browns and champagne (each shop uses different names - no telling what your cognac might be called by the next jeweler).

Of course I am curious to see (at least a match of) what exactly you have looked at
3.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Champagne and cognac diamonds are very pretty, and have tons of sparkle! My SIL has an engagement ring that is a 1 carat chamgagne diamond set in an antique filigree platinum setting. It is gorgeous! As a matter of fact, I just had it on my finger yesterday, since they were here visiting from Ohio. I always ask her if I can try it on when I see her
2.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Ana! Thanks for popping in!
36.gif
Since I regard you as one of Pricescope''s colored stone experts, I value what you have to add.

What did I see............hmmmmmmmmmmm, I saw tons of sparkle!
36.gif
The color was a very pretty, light and clear browney tone. Not like yuck brown AT ALL! Which is what surprised me. I can''t really explain it except to say that I was cautious of my perception of "brown" tones. And was pleasantly surprised that I would not regard what I saw as brown at all. More like a very mellow, light tone of browness.
33.gif
Help! I''m at a loss at how to describe this.

I''m off to see the other links now. Maybe that''ll help.

Thanks for your input, Ana, Movie Zombie, and SJZ. Any more?
36.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, movie zombie, those links were very informative, thanks for posting them.

That said, if I can accurately describe what we saw, I'd have to say it would be somewhere between C3 -C5. The lighting in there could have mattered. She had some halogen lighting directly overhead, but I took it closer toward the window where there was natural lighting and it still sparkled, but the color seemed to change a little. That's why I gave it that range. I can't seem to get that sparkle out of my alleged mind.
20.gif

She offered to send it off to her appraiser (at her cost), just to see how close it came to the appraisal that came with it. The original appraisal was valued at $5735.
6.gif
Of course, there was a disclaimer on it about varying information.

I am thinking of pursuing the additional inspection, upon DHs approval. I must be nuts. I know I can get a nice ideal something else, but this unusual color was very attracting to me for some reason. Kind of like the pair of earrings I saw a while back but this stone was MUCH nicer and MUCH larger.
9.gif
Hmm, a nice pendant perhaps? Or like sjz said, an antique setting would be stunning in a white metal.

Who says a girl can't dream? I must have rocks in my head! (Pun intended
9.gif
)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2005 12
6.gif
3:54 AM
Author: sjz
Champagne and cognac diamonds are very pretty, and have tons of sparkle!
HI:

I have also found this to be the case--or maybe just so with my Mother''s Argyle diamonds. Given my Dad was a jeweller, my Mom has a few "decent" pieces
2.gif
; and although likely not the most costly of her collection, but some of the prettiest is a pendant with two few very well cut/clarity Arglye diamonds. They are a beautiful shade--probably C3-C4--and absolutely catch your eye. One stone is app. 1.75 and the other .50--and suffice it to say I hope one day that this pendant comes to "live" with me
2.gif
. Wish I had pics.......

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results