shape
carat
color
clarity

Tipping at doctors - another tipping questions

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to a Doc to have some brown spots lasered off my face. The cost for the treatment was only $50. There was a host/
receptionist/technician there that pulled my hair back and wiped the make-up off my checks. She also put suntan lotion on my checks
afterward. The doctor performed the actual treatment.

When I left they gave me a bill that had a line for tip. What should I have tipped?

They also do facials and peels where the host/receptionist/technician only does the work (no doc). In this case I would tip
15-20% but in my case where the doctor did the work I didnt know what to tip.

Any suggestions because I do plan on going back? Thanks

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you kidding us? That is totally unacceptable. Crossing the line b/w professionalism and tacky tacky tacky. I would never tip at a doctor's office. Never. That is so wrong I cannot even begin to verbalize what I am feeling right now. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

If you must go back there I think I would say something to the doctor that you are confused about the tip line on the bill. Of course you may not feel comfortable calling them out on this as you want to continue going there and I understand that feeling. If it were me I would totally say that I think it is unprofessional for a doctor's office to be like a Starbucks (but maybe not exactly in those words). I am a health care professional and I find it to be egregious behavior to expect a tip for a health care service. :nono:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much do you guys tip the IRS when you pay your taxes?
I tip 15%.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1321022220|3059585 said:
How much do you guys tip the IRS when you pay your taxes?
I tip 15%.

LOL. Could you imagine? The bigger the tip the less likely an audit? ;))

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
I would only tip on any services that were spa related. I would have simply crossed through the tip section and put the total as $50.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't tip for a procedure like that, but if they are offering spa-type services as well as procedures/medical treatments, then I'd probably tip for those if it were just an assistant-type person doing it and not an actual doctor. I'd do 15-20% depending on the overall cost of the service and the quality of it. For my dermatologist to do his job... nada.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Unless its a spa type situation, its beyond bad taste to ask for a tip. I would find a new doctor ASAP and would not tip a doctor. In a regular doctor's office, so not OK to ask for a tip.

Medical spas sort of cross the line though so I don't know whats appropriate there. Never been but I would imagine it might be OK i that situation.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback...I think I'm going to go with the approach that since the doc is doing the MAIN work then I dont tip at all.
If I were having a facial or peel that the technician did then of course I would tip.

I never thought that I would tip the doc, but was confused on whether I needed to tip the person that pulled my hair back and
wiped my face off/put the suntan lotion on after.

I personally dont think the doc is looking for a tip. They just print out the one form for your account and it doesnt differentiate between whether it was something the doc did or whether it was something that the technician mainly did.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I expect to be tipped 10% for every extra month of life I give you.

If I cure your cancer, it'll be 50% and a Prada handbag thanks :sun:

No seriously, tipping at your doctors??? What next: tipping your lawyer? Your accountant?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1321030170|3059660 said:

No seriously, tipping at your doctors??? What next: tipping your lawyer? Your accountant?
Well if you insist... :mrgreen:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You know, I could definitely see giving a (small token) gift to someone in one of these fields (with whom you have an ongoing professional relationship) who really impressed you and went out of their way etc.
but a monetary tip? Just not right.

In my earlier days of practice I actually did have a patient try to tip me because he was an emergency and I took him right in. He was so happy that he tried to give me a $100 bill after I examined him LOL. Of course I absolutely refused to take it. I didn't know if I should feel flattered or annoyed that he tried to tip me... :cheeky:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1321029680|3059653 said:
Thanks for the feedback...I think I'm going to go with the approach that since the doc is doing the MAIN work then I dont tip at all.
If I were having a facial or peel that the technician did then of course I would tip.

I never thought that I would tip the doc, but was confused on whether I needed to tip the person that pulled my hair back and
wiped my face off/put the suntan lotion on after.

I personally dont think the doc is looking for a tip. They just print out the one form for your account and it doesnt differentiate between whether it was something the doc did or whether it was something that the technician mainly did.

Well, maybe I am in the minority here but I think the whole practice (especially the doctor because it is his/her practice and it reflects badly on them to expect you to tip their staff- this is not Starbucks) is unprofessional in even expecting a tip. This is a doctor's office right? That is just not right.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never tip at a doctors office. Never heard of such a thing.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Wow! :-o

That's not to say that one doesn't sometimes give gifts.

When I moved GP practice I gave my former and wonderful GP a nice bottle of port and a box of exceptionally nice chocolates as a 'grateful patient'.

My father was a GP and used to get a year's supply of jam, cheap whiskey and tins of Quality Street sweeties at Christmas each year, and being in a rural area he'd often find a box on the backseat of his car (he always forgot to lock it) with a brace of pheasant or wild duck or a haunch of venison.

But the idea of actually ASKING for a tip is just ludicrous! Mind you, we have free healthcare in the UK so there's no bill to stick the tip line on to. :bigsmile:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it possible their credit card machine just prints a tip line by default? I see these on occasion, like at gas stations. I just draw a line through the tip line and re-write the total so no one could tack one on later, then sign.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1321036332|3059701 said:

In my earlier days of practice I actually did have a patient try to tip me because he was an emergency and I took him right in. He was so happy that he tried to give me a $100 bill after I examined him LOL. Of course I absolutely refused to take it. I didn't know if I should feel flattered or annoyed that he tried to tip me... :cheeky:

You were absolutely right to refuse the $100! I'd have held out for the Prada.... :bigsmile: :loopy: JK of course....

cheers--Sharon

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1321050860|3059868 said:
Is it possible their credit card machine just prints a tip line by default? I see these on occasion, like at gas stations. I just draw a line through the tip line and re-write the total so no one could tack one on later, then sign.

This was my first thought. Tipping at a doctor's office is just ridiculous!

(although some yummy baked goods are always accepted! :wink2: )

jenmarie

Shiny_Rock
Are you sure it's not just the way they print their receipts? As in, their card reader automatically inserts a tip line and they aren't able to remove it. I'm sure they don't expect a tip. In spas, it's always listed that a gratuity is expected/added to your bill. If this was a dermatologist/GP visit, you definitely don't tip.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Effe|1321022386|3059589 said:
I would only tip on any services that were spa related. I would have simply crossed through the tip section and put the total as $50.

agreed. If you are doing spa treatments- then by all means of course. But for medical treatments via a doctor?? no.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I won't tell you what I think until you tip me! :mrgreen:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never heard of tipping at a doctor's office and I wouldn't do it. Reading your post, Tyty, I just assumed a tip line was part of the pre-printed receipt.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm kind of flabbergasted by this... I can only hope that (as was pointed out above) maybe the machine automatically prints out a line for a tip... ? But seriously, I find that TACKY. Gifts during the holidays or to express appreciation at some appropriate time--a lovely gesture (although also not necessary, IMHO). But a TIP???

(So having had two great knee surgeries [if there is such a thing] by a really wonderful doctor, now I'm wondering if I should have sent him a fruit basket, or a pair of Vibram five finger shoes, or... something... now that I can pretty much walk again!)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to a dermatologist who also did some surgical procedures - eyelifts, etc. He had on a big man's Rolex watch and told me that a patient had been so pleased with his skin cancer removal that he gave it to him as a gift. I could never figure out if that was a hint or a true story for that matter! He surely didn't get a Rolex from me!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
tyty333, I don't think I would tip the technician in that case, since she didn't do a procedure. But what I'm really interested in is the fact that you only had to pay $50 for a laser treatment. Can I ask if you are in the US? I am in the US, and I was told I would have to pay more than $1,000 for a laser treatment, since insurance wouldn't cover it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kindred|1321145363|3060583 said:
tyty333, I don't think I would tip the technician in that case, since she didn't do a procedure. But what I'm really interested in is the fact that you only had to pay $50 for a laser treatment. Can I ask if you are in the US? I am in the US, and I was told I would have to pay more than $1,000 for a laser treatment, since insurance wouldn't cover it.

Yes, this Docs spot treatment for photofacial laser is $50 for 25 hits! 4 years ago I had my whole face done and for 4
treatments it was $600...I think he is charging $800 now. I called to see if they could just treat a few spots that had
sprung up on my face and they said yes that it was $50 for 25 hits. I coudnt believe it was that cheap...thats why
I plan on going back. It usually takes more than 1 session to make the spots dissapear so I have another appointment
for tomorrow. Heck...you cant even walk into a docs office for $50! I think I am getting a bargain! Not looking
forward to the pain though :???: .

I am in Fl (US).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results