shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany or Tacori setting?? ...oh, the decisions!! :)

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
msop04|1326486657|3102309 said:
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1326340941|3100948 said:
I'm debating similarly-- Halo vs plain solitaire.

Love the sleek, clean, and elegant solitaire, but like you, it is so common and not very "unique"-- which could also be a good thing as well. It will stay classic forever. And neither I, nor SO, wants to change the ring. Plus, solitairse seem to make my heart flutter IRL. :love: Even poorly constructed settings.

Halos are just sooo yummy! I looove them here on PS, but haven't seen one I loved IRL, but I suspect it's because I've never seen a well-made one like those here on PS. I can only imagine what they would look like IRL :love:

For you, I took a peak at the 2525, and although I have never seen a real picture, I am liking the Tiffany style more IMO -- especially for a 2 ct! :naughty:

Here is a real life photo with a 7mm solitaire... It's the one towards the bottom, with a group of four photos of different angles below it... Let me know what you think!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tacori-2525rd7.158342/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tacori-2525rd7.158342/[/URL]

Sorry, I missed this thread earlier and just now seeing it again. After reading your post and looking at the IRL pic, I was hesitantly about to reply that I didn't like it. I'm so relieved to see that you HATED it. lol. I looove the halo ring. really beautiful. But the Halo vs a solitaire thing is really up to you.

I must say, it looks like you really want a halo, though. So, I say go for it! As others have said, make sure the pave is VERY well done. If that would be out of budget, my next piece of advice would be to go with the cheaper, yet still beautiful (especially with a 2.4ct now!) solitaire. Then, save up to upgrade to a halo when you can afford it or for an anniversary.

Also, this way you can be sure you'll still love the halo years later and/or whether or not it goes 'out of style'.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1332384650|3154007 said:
msop04|1326486657|3102309 said:
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1326340941|3100948 said:
I'm debating similarly-- Halo vs plain solitaire.

Love the sleek, clean, and elegant solitaire, but like you, it is so common and not very "unique"-- which could also be a good thing as well. It will stay classic forever. And neither I, nor SO, wants to change the ring. Plus, solitairse seem to make my heart flutter IRL. :love: Even poorly constructed settings.

Halos are just sooo yummy! I looove them here on PS, but haven't seen one I loved IRL, but I suspect it's because I've never seen a well-made one like those here on PS. I can only imagine what they would look like IRL :love:

For you, I took a peak at the 2525, and although I have never seen a real picture, I am liking the Tiffany style more IMO -- especially for a 2 ct! :naughty:

Here is a real life photo with a 7mm solitaire... It's the one towards the bottom, with a group of four photos of different angles below it... Let me know what you think!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tacori-2525rd7.158342/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tacori-2525rd7.158342/[/URL]

Sorry, I missed this thread earlier and just now seeing it again. After reading your post and looking at the IRL pic, I was hesitantly about to reply that I didn't like it. I'm so relieved to see that you HATED it. lol. I looove the halo ring. really beautiful. But the Halo vs a solitaire thing is really up to you.

I must say, it looks like you really want a halo, though. So, I say go for it! As others have said, make sure the pave is VERY well done. If that would be out of budget, my next piece of advice would be to go with the cheaper, yet still beautiful (especially with a 2.4ct now!) solitaire. Then, save up to upgrade to a halo when you can afford it or for an anniversary.

Also, this way you can be sure you'll still love the halo years later and/or whether or not it goes 'out of style'.

Thanks for your input, twinkle!! It's true, when I checked out the Tacori halo with a 2 ct IRL, IT. WAS. GAUDY. I couldn't even try it on for long... just wanted it OFF MY FINGER.

As much as I like a plain solitaire, I'm afraid my true love is the halo (and to think I was dead against having a halo at first!) In a perfect world, I'd just have a 3.5 or 4 carat solitaire and be done with it, but I live in reality, so it's just not in the budget - and never will be for that matter... However, I noticed that when I would go out, the e-rings that caught my eye were ALWAYS the more intricate styles with lots of sparkle, even with smaller center stones.

So... I had one last look at the Vatche U-113 before I actually had my jeweler arrange for Christopher Designs to give me a quote for the custom setting... No doubt, it is beautiful, but when I tried it on, I was less than thrilled - just felt kinda "meh". I asked if the stone in it was about a 2.75 or 3 carat, as it looked like it may be just slightly larger than mine...

When he told me the solitaire was actually about a 3.5 carat, that was the true breaking point -- I HAD SEEN ENOUGH!! I truly believe that -- for me -- no amount/size of blingy band(s) would've made me happy, because the stone just looked "smaller", plain, and a little lonely (and it was a HUGE stone, waaaay bigger than my 2.43 ct)! HA!
Did I mention the Vatche setting was $2500??!! That's a lot for no bling! LOL

What did you think of my *combination ring* (halo of JB Starr + Christopher Designs shank)?? My jeweler just went on and on about it, but I'm the type that has a difficult time "visualizing" things - which is why I appreciate all the PS opinions!

Sorry for such a lengthy post... this is a big purchase for the FH and me, so it has to be just right!

Let me know what you think!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both Tacori and I live in the area not too far from DD. I didn't even know they had someone making custom rings there! You said you had seen his work, right? There is SUCH a range of quality in pave and I hope he does a terrific job for you!

I just wanted to show you this ring which is similar to the one you originally posted except I like the shank better. I think this belongs to a member here:

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-anne-marie-split-shank-halo.html

I love the proportions and hope yours turns out similar to this one!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1332507439|3155019 said:
Both Tacori and I live in the area not too far from DD. I didn't even know they had someone making custom rings there! You said you had seen his work, right? There is SUCH a range of quality in pave and I hope he does a terrific job for you!

I just wanted to show you this ring which is similar to the one you originally posted except I like the shank better. I think this belongs to a member here:

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-anne-marie-split-shank-halo.html

I love the proportions and hope yours turns out similar to this one!

OMG, diamondseeker... You must be inside my brain!

I really love that ring. I am a little sad about that ring... the reason is because I actually requested a quote from VC on the SAME RING several months ago! It was just too expensive ($6400 for the setting). I adore EVERY part of it (esp. the shank), and have not *totally* ruled it out... It's so dainty - and I LOVE that about it - I just can't justify the cost... Besides, I have trouble envisioning how it would look on my hand and would really want to "try on" before I had him make one for me -- to my knowledge, this is not possible.

It's a piece of art, I get it, but I also want to have just a bit more "substantial" piece, per se... at least that is what is making me feel better about not getting the VC - for now. :( Ever since I saw AM's post, I've been in love with his work!! I am a huge Victor Canera fan (even like his work more than that of Leon's, but shhhh!! don't tell!!) :naughty:

Regarding DD, I am no longer having their guy in NC make the ring because I've only seen photos, not the actual piece, as it is sold. Since a photo is no indication of how the pave would hold up, I just scrapped that idea (all the PS'ers - you included - made me think a lot about the quality of pave and how "you get what you pay for"...), and I honestly got a little nervous. But I SO APPRECIATE THE CONCERN from all of you!!

So my representative at DD thought it was best to have one of the designers do a custom peice. He is now in the process of getting a price quote from Christopher Design. (I hope to have it before next week is up) CD is who makes the second ring I listed. This is the band/shank that I really loved on me. The photo makes it seem a little chunky, but it is very delicate, yet "substantial" IRL. You can barely see the "widening" of the band from the top. We *are* making a few minor changes to it though... I'll post the photo so hopefully you can see what I mean...

If you can imagine removing the "ginormo round halo" on the CD ring (stock photo) and replacing it with the JB Star halo (hand shot with my actual stone), then that's what it will be. I'm having CD use slightly larger diamonds in the halo, as to match the smaller stones on the CD band (the smaller ones on the side). I'm gonna post both photos. I just love the way the JBS halo is rounded with two rows (on the top and around the halo, to soften the look and provide a curve on the edge... not to mention the pave is a little elevated in spots so that it sets flush to the round stone). :love:

I will have them "fill in" the middle row of diamonds to meet the outside smaller diamonds that are a little further down. Also, instead of having the metal split open at the bottom, I just want it to come together where the diamonds end about 3/4 of the way down on each side. I'll have them make a very delicate band to fit flush, as not to "compete" with the ering. I'll worry more about that design later... ;-)

If I get the quote back from CD and it's just too much (DD estimated that it would range between $5000 - $5300, so any more $$$ and I could have the VC), or if they end up making the ring and I don't care for it, then I may reconsider the VC piece... but for now, I would LOVE to know your thoughts on the combination that I will attempt to make from the rings below. (I wish I could post pics with the same POV and sizes, but these are all I have so just try to imagine the size of the stones, etc. IRL. :loopy:

Thanks again for your thoughts diamondseeker!!

Christopher Designs Ring.jpg

JB Star - hand 1.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see the finished ptoduct

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
msop04, the design sounds great! Your ring will be gorgeous! I'm glad you're going with the halo. You will love it. Keep us posted!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so I FINALLY gave the "go ahead" to Christopher Designs to start on my ring!! YAY!! They said it will take 4 to 6 weeks to make. There was a stall in the process due to a brief time when I tried to have A. Jaffe make the ring. Long story short, it was just too difficult to translate what I wanted to them, and I was concerned that my vision wouldn't materialize... :rolleyes:

Soooooo.... after discussing this with my guy at Diamonds Direct, we just decided the best thing would be to bite the bullet, pay more, and just go the original designer of the shank/gallery - Christopher Designs. They were great and felt confident they could deliver the halo to my specifications, while upholding their reputation. :appl: We'll end up spending about twice as much as we'd planned, but... I guess that's just the price you pay for a little peace of mind in having a quality piece you'll love! HA!

I'll post photos as soon as it's on my finger!!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
hooray!! the next month or so should be agonizing hehe. I'm sure it'll go by very quickly though!! can't wait to see real life photos of your beauty :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring is made - FINALLY! Couldn't get really good photos of it on my phone for some reason, but I'll post what I have so far. It's so sparkly and perfect - I love love LOVE it! Thanks for all your help in the decision making!
:)

IMG957960.jpg

IMAG0473.jpg

IMAG0464.jpg

IMAG0476-2.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a side note, the photo that I posted above showing the JBStar setting photographed a lot better, but my Christopher Designs ring is so much prettier IRL! ...just wish the camera would capture it better! Ugh! Maybe when it's officially on my hand, I can play around with my real camera and post some better quality photos... Now just gotta wait on the *official proposal*! ;-)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, that is a big, blingy and beautiful ring!! Hope you don't have to wait too long!

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
Wow. It is gorgeous!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my! Oh my! It is GORGEOUS!!! :love:
I absolutely love it!!! Congrats!!!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1337133824|3196243 said:
Oh my gosh, that is a big, blingy and beautiful ring!! Hope you don't have to wait too long!

Thank you, Junebug!!! I am so excited!! :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sstephensid|1337135302|3196265 said:
Wow. It is gorgeous!

Thanks so much!! :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CaprineSun|1337217245|3196991 said:
Oh my! Oh my! It is GORGEOUS!!! :love:
I absolutely love it!!! Congrats!!!!

Thanks, CaprineSun!! I can't wait to wear it forever -- which I'm told should be in the next several weeks!! Let the countdown begin!! :mrgreen:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
omg!!! congratulations, it is gorgeous!!! next few weeks should be going by very quickly!!! and I just realized I totally saw this gorgeous ring already in another forum hehe.

TracyBear

Shiny_Rock
What a beauty!!! :love:

Dynamite

Rough_Rock
Thats a beautiful ring, at the end of the day you made the right choice!

How much was it, approximately, all in?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results