shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on perfect size?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
I'm thinking I might want a bigger diamond. I have seen a few PSers downsize from 4 or 5cts and I'm wondering how you know your preference unless you live with a larger stone for a while.
I seem to like everything I try on, so I'm not trusting my initial response to size & sparkle at this point.
Anyone have any insight into how they chose the dimensions of the stone size they like best? I think I'd like a 10mm squarish cushion or chunky OEC....
Any thoughts/ experiences shared would be appreciated.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you be opposed to wearing a fakie for a few weeks?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1425713124|3843249 said:

Thanks Niel - - maybe I need to investigate that. Do you find that wearing a fake is a good barometer? My fear is that a real 5ct may appear fake and a fake might appear ridiculous to me.....but I have yet to try wearing a fake.
Any suggestions on where to find them?

( I don't like to trade/buy/sell larger pieces so I'd like to find a ring to keep and not have a large mistake in my jewelry box.)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harpertoo|1425713975|3843254 said:
Niel|1425713124|3843249 said:

Thanks Niel - - maybe I need to investigate that. Do you find that wearing a fake is a good barometer? My fear is that a real 5ct may appear fake and a fake might appear ridiculous to me.....but I have yet to try wearing a fake.
Any suggestions on where to find them?

( I don't like to trade/buy/sell larger pieces so I'd like to find a ring to keep and not have a large mistake in my jewelry box.)

Totally get that. I guess it depends, what kind of fake do you want. Cz or some sort of simm...

Where you live are most diamonds smaller? Is that why you think your large diamond might seem fake? Or is it purely size?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 diamonds over the 10mm mark and I have not regretted the size or finger coverage thus far.

I think you've seen this link before which may be helpful to you in visualizing everything:
http://www.diamdb.com/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Harpertoo! For me it was all about proportions. A smaller diamond didn't look as good on my finger. My first diamond was 9.25 mm round and looked too small on my big hands IMO. My OEC looks just perfect to me at around 10.5mm. Not too big, not too small.

I think wearing a fake stone the size you are thinking about getting is a great idea before you commit though I don't know where you can find one. I didn't do that but instead fell in love with my OEC and it just worked out that the size was perfect for me. Of course if I had fallen in love with a larger size I would have made that work. LOL. :cheeky:

It's all about your preferences of course and I wouldn't be concerned what others think i.e. if it is too big or looks fake because of the size. Wear what you love and what you feel looks best on you within your budget. Good luck and please come back and post lots of pics!

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm glad to hear from those of you that enjoy your larger peices.
I think I'll try to find a decent fake to wear around the house. (Maybe online?) I've never investigated them so I have no idea what's-what yet.
I live in EU now and the culture, at least where I'm at, frowns on ostentation and obvious signs of wealth - nice watches being the exception. But the stone is for me - so I don't want to get too hung up on cultural norms. I'll see what wearing something larger outside the jeweler's feels like. :think:

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I don't get how a lot of women have giant diamonds and don't worry about the height of them. They sit so high off the finger, I would worry about them knocking into things and chipping.

I have some colored stone rings that sit high and after the initial purchase I don't wear them because they are so tall. They just seem to get in the way and create worry.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink CZ has some nicely cut stones. Maybe a little more pricey than the average cz but better cut. I have tried a few cz and if they don't look enough like the real thing, it makes it harder to visualize. Still the price of one of Winks cz is still a drop in the bucket to stone in that size. Plus, if you have a good replica you can wear it when you don't want to wear the real one.

Ilander, there has to be a medium somewhere in the height thing. My ring is set so low, it really bugs me. A little height makes the stone look larger and lets more light in. I wish there was a magic number to achieve the perfect balance.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
didn't know there was such a thing as too big a diamond!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel's suggestion about the fake one is a great suggestion. It truly is the only way you will know what will work best for you. That and trying many different sizes on your finger and seeing whatlooks best to your eyes. The fake is a great idea because you can wear it for a month before making a commitment. I would assume a month would be long enough to know for sure.

I tried several large Emerald cuts on last month and know exactly what you are talking about. I loved the dimensions of the 4.50 ct. When I tried the 5 carat on I just thought it looked riduclious on my hand to the point it didn't even took pretty to my eyes. I saved the dimensions of the stone I liked best for future reference. It's difficult. All I can say is when you find the right one you will know, at least that's how it worked for me. I think it would be much easier to find a round or OEC. The dimensions don't vary as much as a rectangular shaped stone do.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1425745482|3843348 said:
didn't know there was such a thing as too big a diamond!

Maybe not too big, but unwearable?
I'm sure some lucky PSer could find a way though.....I seem to remember Ellen Barkin wore quite a rock around her neck in lieu of a ring.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK ladies, here are the basic rules again... :read:

if you wear a size 6 ring you can go up to a 5 ct MRB (center stone) or up to a 7 ct for a fancy cut.

for earrings studs .....75% ctw of your E-ring "center stone".

for solitaire pendant .....50% the weight of your E-ring "center stone"

for bracelet.....3 X the weight of your E-ring "center stone"

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I sometimes think about upgrading mine but 1) I never wear it and 2) I think for me 2-2.5 is my max threshold. I see these 4 and 5 ct stones and think "damn that's amazing" but I just panic at the idea of actually wearing that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1425755161|3843399 said:

if you wear a size 6 ring you can go up to a 5 ct MRB (center stone) or up to a 7 ct for a fancy cut.

Those are random rules I don't think anyone needs to follow

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1425762513|3843442 said:

These are the rules we follow when DF is footing the bill!!! :clap: :dance: :appl: :lol:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah Niel, I try so hard to live my life by these rules though! I mean, we need some structure in our lives, right? :rolleyes: I'd look so silly wearing a 0.47 centre diamond engagement ring and wearing anything over 0.35 tcw studs. I definitely should avoid the 1.68 tcw ones I normally wear. Next up, convince DH that a 6 ct (I wear a size 7) ring would suit our needs and lifestyle! No need to wish me luck, I'll just quote DF's rules to DH.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was choosing an EC, I knew it has to be over 1ct, and set a budget accordingly.

It was a 40th birthday present to myself, as a right hand ring to be worn on the middle finger, and I was able to pick my own diamond in person by placing them on my hand, from a selection of three that were within my budget, as its shape appealed to me the most, being longer compared with the other two. It is a 1.19ct stone.

It was my first custom-piece, and I naively did not provide much input with regard to the setting except it had to be bezel-set.

The goldsmith did a good job by setting it in a simple bezel setting in a flat shank 2.5mm at the top, tapering to 2mm at the bottom.

However, it did not provide sufficient finger coverage for my liking. I wore it with a plain 2mm titanium band for 10 years until I had it re-set recently in an air-line halo with a much wider 5mm shank at the top. The added width of the halo and shank provides the right amount of finger coverage that I desire, and I proudly wear it on its own as a RHR as intended.

Would I get a bigger stone? If money is not object, why not? However, I shall never trade in my 1.19ct EC as it has significant sentimental values.

I do not suffer from DSS and am grateful and happy with my lot, in jewellery, in life or otherwise.

DK :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1425805055|3843689 said:

Ah Niel, I try so hard to live my life by these rules though! I mean, we need some structure in our lives, right? :rolleyes: I'd look so silly wearing a 0.47 centre diamond engagement ring and wearing anything over 0.35 tcw studs. I definitely should avoid the 1.68 tcw ones I normally wear. Next up, convince DH that a 6 ct (I wear a size 7) ring would suit our needs and lifestyle! No need to wish me luck, I'll just quote DF's rules to DH.

You go out wearing 1.68 tcw studs?! How embarrassing ;-)

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I did wear fake rings for a few months leading up to purchasing the real one. I was actually planning to go for a 10-10.5mm round diamond, but my husband then mentioned 5 carats, and I jumped on it, haha! Today for fun I just put on a fake ring with a 13mm stone, and it looks too big. Movie star big. And I'm no movie star. But I agree that fake rings are a good way to find your preferences. Amazon and eBay have a ton of them.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember asking this somewhere, and I forget who (please let me know if it's you! it would help me find the post!) told me that the most visually attractive center stone size is the width of your finger nail you intend to wear the stone on.

I found myself to agree after all these years of wearing lots and lots of rings and trying on pretties from other PSers.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1425884633|3844158 said:
I remember asking this somewhere, and I forget who (please let me know if it's you! it would help me find the post!) told me that the most visually attractive center stone size is the width of your finger nail you intend to wear the stone on.

I found myself to agree after all these years of wearing lots and lots of rings and trying on pretties from other PSers.

I like the logic of it! I'll have to measure and see if I'm in the ballpark.
(And I'm going to assume this means the widest portion of the nail. :)) )

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think it's Circe's sage advice. :appl:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel - I know! If only someone close to me would point it out to me and stop me. Good thing DF is on the case, saving all of us from what wearing what we love and having personalities of our own.

Honestly I think a temp fakey is the way to go. I had the most beautiful 5 stone asscher ring I bought for $20 USD or something ridiculous like that. It wasn't even silver. I wore it and loved it and decided that it'd be my next big purchase. It was easily the best way to figure out what was workable and wearable for daily life. It really brought home that an asscher 5 stone is on my ultimate wish list. Leave the house wearing it though, it's the only way to tell how something will actually wear.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Harpertoo|1425895704|3844181 said:

I like the logic of it! I'll have to measure and see if I'm in the ballpark.
(And I'm going to assume this means the widest portion of the nail. :)) )

I really liked the size of my diamond until I compared it to my fingernail. Now I have a bad case of DSS.

However, I'd love to have one the same size as my nail.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mind is in the gutter. I thought this thread would be about something else . :Up_to_something:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1426214106|3846424 said:
My mind is in the gutter. I thought this thread would be about something else . :Up_to_something:

Haha, well, you could always start the thread you thought this one was about...just sayin... :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results