shape
carat
color
clarity

THIS woman thinks she's too pretty to be liked?? Seriously?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Re: THIS woman thinks she's too pretty to be liked?? Seriou

Oh, snap!! :lol:

totheleft

Rough_Rock

VapidLapid|1333570679|3163521 said:
She has the nose of a king charles spanie

LOL

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock

The thing she said that popped out at me, that really illustrates her delusional self perception, paraphrasing - "I can't wait to get wrinkles and gray hair so people will like me" - SLT. Umm, she is 41 years old, I can BET she already has some gray hair and she HAS wrinkles...more than I do at 44 (that is beside the point, LOL) - doesn't she SEE that? If not, then she truly has a disconnect between her self perception and reality.

I agree, she may have had 'special' treatment when she was much younger, she was probably attractive and flirty, but I can't see it happening to her now. I am not age bashing, women are beautiful at ANY age, but referring to her own words and how she looks forward to getting old so the constant attention will stop. :roll:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Porridge|1333743551|3165204 said:

I read this piece of satire a day or so ago (thank you for posting it, Porridge) and also read many of the comments posted about it. It is not the only piece poking fun at the article Samantha Brick has written. I wasn't going to bother posting these links, but if anyone wants to follow them, here are a couple of links to blogs that I found while reading the piece above! I gather that there are far funnier parodies floating around in the UK now.

http://iamkathyb.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/samantha-brick-not-so-slick.html
http://life-of-a-female.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/samantha-brick.html

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

Ara Ann|1333980593|3166598 said:
The thing she said that popped out at me, that really illustrates her delusional self perception, paraphrasing - "I can't wait to get wrinkles and gray hair so people will like me" - SLT. Umm, she is 41 years old, I can BET she already has some gray hair and she HAS wrinkles...more than I do at 44 (that is beside the point, LOL) - doesn't she SEE that? If not, then she truly has a disconnect between her self perception and reality.

I agree, she may have had 'special' treatment when she was much younger, she was probably attractive and flirty, but I can't see it happening to her now. I am not age bashing, women are beautiful at ANY age, but referring to her own words and how she looks forward to getting old so the constant attention will stop. :roll:

My mom is eighty and she also weighs about 250 and she still gets hit on, gets marriage proposals etc
She is definitely not delusional, me and my brothers and sisters have all seen this happen to her.
She is friendly and it gets misinterpreted.
Men are the same at any age--and their following you around has little to do with your 'looks' as we women would define it, in my experience and more to do with if they think you look approachable.
Hey, they are dating each other in nursing homes (and some elderly ladies are more popular than others). It's just the way of the world.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

Lil Misfit|1333681121|3164674 said:
She's a troll. Plain and simple. The fact that people are having debates over whether she is or isn't actually very pretty, and commenting on her diatribe, just solidifies her case. As with any troll, if we stop feeding it, it will go away. There are 3 pages about this on this website alone. If she really is as narcissistic as she portrays herself to be, she is loving this, I'm sure. And we are all contributing to her narcissism by continuing to comment on it.

I think the 3 pages on this website are more exposing our insecurities as women than anything in particular about this woman that none of us know personally and haven't even met, and will never meet.
She is pushing the hot button of our insecurities and a lot of the reaction honestly seems to be, "i don't feel very attractive so how dare this woman who is clearly not perfect either feel attractive'.
A certain amount of women probably DO hate her just because she is not putting herself down and apologizing for existing as we have been taught to do and have internalized at this point as the only acceptable behavior for women.
Think about it. How do you react when someone pays you a compliment. I know a ton of women, if you say "You are wearing a pretty dress' they give you a boring 15 minute diatribe on their 'fat thighs' (which 9 times out of ten are not actually fat).
I say, it would be a better use of time to go think about why we think we all look so awful. I see very few women in the world who are actually ugly or even actually plain --I do see a lot though who are not making the most of themselves AT ANY AGE and could use an attitude transplant.
Trust me, not in a photo but in person a lot of men are going to think this woman is gorgeous just because SHE thinks she is and self-confidence does that (as well as a little knowledge, easily found in books or online on how to play down our less attractive physical qualities and play up the better ones).
We would do better to emulate rather than to waste energy being mad at her for thinking well of herself.
And stop worrying about making fools of ourselves. A lot of what I am hearing here is the fear--Oh my goodness, what if I think I'm attractive and I'm really not and people are all secretly laughing at me for thinking so. (Hence the stupid running photos. What was the point of that--except to diminish confidence?)*
Let me tell you the absolute truth--once you decide that you look okay and are happy with yourself and confident, there WILL be some snarky people in corners talking to each other about 'she thinks she looks so good but she really doesn't) but it won't really matter as they will stay in the corners, where you are not anymore, KWIM? And their laughing at you doesn't change a thing. THey are not a wicked witch with a wand or the 'ugly stick' who actually has some power over you. A lot of us need to get over messages we have hung on to since childhood (often from mothers who also had no self-esteem and passed this on) and realize that the only 'ugly stick' is in your own mind.

*If you are actually out running, you are doing something good for you and good for your health--why the heck are you worried about what you look like whilel you're doing it? the retouched model in the photo is most probably NOT a runner and looks like that in a retouched photograph for an ad, she might have an eating disorder (I"m not saying she DOES) but she might and you know nothing about her. And anyway she is not going running with you so WHY would you care?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Black Jade|1334165039|3168518 said:
Lil Misfit|1333681121|3164674 said:
She's a troll. Plain and simple. The fact that people are having debates over whether she is or isn't actually very pretty, and commenting on her diatribe, just solidifies her case. As with any troll, if we stop feeding it, it will go away. There are 3 pages about this on this website alone. If she really is as narcissistic as she portrays herself to be, she is loving this, I'm sure. And we are all contributing to her narcissism by continuing to comment on it.

I think the 3 pages on this website are more exposing our insecurities as women than anything in particular about this woman that none of us know personally and haven't even met, and will never meet.
She is pushing the hot button of our insecurities and a lot of the reaction honestly seems to be, "i don't feel very attractive so how dare this woman who is clearly not perfect either feel attractive'.A certain amount of women probably DO hate her just because she is not putting herself down and apologizing for existing as we have been taught to do and have internalized at this point as the only acceptable behavior for women.
Think about it. How do you react when someone pays you a compliment. I know a ton of women, if you say "You are wearing a pretty dress' they give you a boring 15 minute diatribe on their 'fat thighs' (which 9 times out of ten are not actually fat).
I say, it would be a better use of time to go think about why we think we all look so awful. I see very few women in the world who are actually ugly or even actually plain --I do see a lot though who are not making the most of themselves AT ANY AGE and could use an attitude transplant.
Trust me, not in a photo but in person a lot of men are going to think this woman is gorgeous just because SHE thinks she is and self-confidence does that (as well as a little knowledge, easily found in books or online on how to play down our less attractive physical qualities and play up the better ones).
We would do better to emulate rather than to waste energy being mad at her for thinking well of herself.
And stop worrying about making fools of ourselves. A lot of what I am hearing here is the fear--Oh my goodness, what if I think I'm attractive and I'm really not and people are all secretly laughing at me for thinking so. (Hence the stupid running photos. What was the point of that--except to diminish confidence?)*
Let me tell you the absolute truth--once you decide that you look okay and are happy with yourself and confident, there WILL be some snarky people in corners talking to each other about 'she thinks she looks so good but she really doesn't) but it won't really matter as they will stay in the corners, where you are not anymore, KWIM? And their laughing at you doesn't change a thing. THey are not a wicked witch with a wand or the 'ugly stick' who actually has some power over you. A lot of us need to get over messages we have hung on to since childhood (often from mothers who also had no self-esteem and passed this on) and realize that the only 'ugly stick' is in your own mind.

*If you are actually out running, you are doing something good for you and good for your health--why the heck are you worried about what you look like whilel you're doing it? the retouched model in the photo is most probably NOT a runner and looks like that in a retouched photograph for an ad, she might have an eating disorder (I"m not saying she DOES) but she might and you know nothing about her. And anyway she is not going running with you so WHY would you care?

This Conversation (to use Ashley Judd's emphasis) is NOT about how we perceive ourselves, how we expect to be perceived, or how we want to be perceived. It is not about hating her because she feels good about herself.

Self-esteem is a great thing. Odd delusions that prevent her from having the usual and expected relationships with other people are not great. Normal people don't feel the need to be so competitive that it drives others away. Perhaps if she toned down the 'love thyself' thing she has going on, people wouldn't be quite so put off. Her behavior with other women is asinine and nothing to emulate.

Her photos serve only to point out that, maybe, she's a bit . . . full of herself. . . or simply dishonest . . . when describing her life as both a: lauded (by men) and tormented (by women) beauty. Uhhhhh......no. Not buying it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I understand what you're saying, Black Jade, but I see this whole thing in a very different light.

I don't think people are reacting to this woman because of their own insecurities. I think people are reacting to this woman because she is making very bizarre claims that make inherent claims about women that some of us believe to be simply untrue.

Her claim that women dislike her because of her beauty is offensive to me as a woman, and it is so far from the truth as far as my experience has evidenced, that I can't help but react to her with shock and disbelief. It is offensive to assert that women are so insecure that we will be rude to a woman who is beautiful.

I am confident and happy about my body and the way I look. I'm tallish and I wear very high heels, so I command some attention when I walk into a place simply because of the amount of space I take up in the room. I'm also kind and warm and friendly. And I have never had an issue with other women mistreating me because of either my confidence or the way I look.

The truth as I see it is this: The way I'm treated relies on many, many factors beyond the arrangement of the features on my face. And I take offense when someone accuses me and my fellow women of being so base as to stop there when deciding how to behave towards others. We are not this shallow. We are not this petty. This woman is functioning as one more cog in the media machine that works so hard to portray women as caricatures of real people. As simple, image-obsessed, catty bitches-on-heels who have no love for our own gender.

So no. I'm not interested in sitting out on this conversation. I'm not interested in hearing another theory about how we are all just so insecure that we can't stand to see a woman with confidence. Confidence does not alienate, it endears. And whether she knows it or not, this woman is is weaving false tales that only serve to undermine our gender, and I don't think we should stand for it.

Edited to omit a redundancy.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Wow Haven, awesome post! I haven't read this whole thread but what you put into words is exactly how I felt when I first heard this story. I'm certainly not wildly attractive but I'm confident in my looks and myself and with that confidence comes *appreciation* for beauty. I appreciate a beautiful woman as much as the next guy, LOL.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Haven|1334193697|3168931 said:
I understand what you're saying, Black Jade, but I see this whole thing in a very different light.

I don't think people are reacting to this woman because of their own insecurities. I think people are reacting to this woman because she is making very bizarre claims that make inherent claims about women that some of us believe to be simply untrue.

Her claim that women dislike her because of her beauty is offensive to me as a woman, and it is so far from the truth as far as my experience has evidenced, that I can't help but react to her with shock and disbelief. It is offensive to assert that women are so insecure that we will be rude to a woman who is beautiful.

I am confident and happy about my body and the way I look. I'm tallish and I wear very high heels, so I command some attention when I walk into a place simply because of the amount of space I take up in the room. I'm also kind and warm and friendly. And I have never had an issue with other women mistreating me because of either my confidence or the way I look.

The truth as I see it is this: The way I'm treated relies on many, many factors beyond the arrangement of the features on my face. And I take offense when someone accuses me and my fellow women of being so base as to stop there when deciding how to behave towards others. We are not this shallow. We are not this petty. This woman is functioning as one more cog in the media machine that works so hard to portray women as caricatures of real people. As simple, image-obsessed, catty bitches-on-heels who have no love for our own gender.

So no. I'm not interested in sitting out on this conversation. I'm not interested in hearing another theory about how we are all just so insecure that we can't stand to see a woman with confidence. Confidence does not alienate, it endears. And whether she knows it or not, this woman is is weaving false tales that only serve to undermine our gender, and I don't think we should stand for it.

Edited to omit a redundancy.

THIS!

The only thing I can think to add: "Pride goeth before a fall", and she is hitting with a resounding splat, worldwide.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results