shape
carat
color
clarity

This Is What ONE Serving Of Pasta Looks Like

iLander

Ideal_Rock
When DH was diagnosed with diabetes, I had to relearn everything about food and cooking. Not just sugar, but also Carbs are huge players in blood sugar.

I was shocked :shock: when I measured out a single serving of pasta (2 oz dry) for him. It's so LITTLE for 42 grams of carbs! Two hundred whopping calories too! I thought I'd post it so others could realize how little you get for all those calories/carbs.

I cook his serving in a sieve in the same pot as the rest of the family's pasta. That way I can keep track of the 1 serving.

This is a standard dinner plate (Fiesta ware :appl: ), and the pasta is one inch high. It's NOT a lot. I know that I usually ate at least three quarters of a plateful :shifty: and I never batted an eye before. It's the carbs, that turn to sugar in the bloodstream, that are so bad for you.

So if you're wondering why America is so fat and unhealthy, look to that never-ending pasta bowl at Olive Garden. :)

pasta.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1438654651|3910784 said:
Rice is just as sad, iLander...
Weird I always thought a serving of rice seemed like more than I anticipate.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1438654983|3910789 said:

Really? Not for me Niel.

But I could eat a LOT of rice. ::)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I eat like 10 servings. I don't know this "one" of which you speak.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've begun using Pad Thai noodles with my pastas, it's a little different to the regular pasta but it is a lot healthier and more filling for a given amount of calories. If DH is complaining that he isn't feeling full on the pasta then maybe consider trying the noodles :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try brown rice and whole wheat pasta and bread. I eat at least 1.5 servings at each meal. I eat a ton of veggies to fill up space.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I know! It is so sad.

I've started bulking up pasta with lots of veggies. I will even take out the mandolin and make "Zucchini noodles" to make it seem like there is more pasta on the plate. I have a family history of diabetes so I figure it's best to start watching these things now.

I keep a mixed nut and dried fruit trail mix in my desk. The organic Prana one with dark chocolate. It looked healthy enough until I realized that one serving is 1/4 cup! That's two mouthfulls for me.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a good amount, but I would spread it across the plate for the whole, eating a plateful effect. Ugh... The mental aspect of eating!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes one serving size isn't that much food and that is why pasta is not a good main course. Occasionally it is a very tasty side dish but never filling (or that nutritious) as a main course IMO.

If you have not yet discovered quinoa I highly recommend it. Delicious and nutritious and satisfying too. I love adding fresh veggies and EVOO to it when I am cooking it (on the brown rice setting in the rice cooker) and when you add beans to it you have a complete protein and a very delicious meal.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=142

http://authoritynutrition.com/11-proven-benefits-of-quinoa/

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/cooking-with-quinoa

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
What about brown rice pasta? Trader Joes has one that my family loves and my kids don't even know its not regular pasta.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
missy|1438680502|3910897 said:
Yes one serving size isn't that much food and that is why pasta is not a good main course. Occasionally it is a very tasty side dish but never filling (or that nutritious) as a main course IMO.

If you have not yet discovered quinoa I highly recommend it. Delicious and nutritious and satisfying too. I love adding fresh veggies and EVOO to it when I am cooking it (on the brown rice setting in the rice cooker) and when you add beans to it you have a complete protein and a very delicious meal.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=142

http://authoritynutrition.com/11-proven-benefits-of-quinoa/

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/cooking-with-quinoa

Yes, we almost never eat pasta. I agree that quinoa is a good alternative. My mom introduced me to it years ago and it's really grown in popularity.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw man : (. I am trying not to pasta as frequently. But if I do eat pasta, going to eat to my fill, which is a regular pasta bowl.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1438655387|3910793 said:

Really? Not for me Niel.

Haha. That's how I feel about I can eat a million servings of pasta

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I know that looks like very little pasta, but want to reiterate that carbs are not the cause of obesity . If you look at most diets around the world (especially Asia), rice and noodles are the stable and make up about 70-90% of the meal. It's really calories in vs. calories out. Period.

I eat about 4X that amount of pasta for my regular dinner serving, but realize that I need to work out every day, an hour a day in order to enjoy my nice hefty portions.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm well versed in portion sizes as I'm also diabetic. I rarely eat pasta (or rice or bread) anymore. Maybe once a month. I've tried all the gluten free varieties too, because my daughter is celiac, but I hate them. I also at one time ate mostly just brown rice as my carb. Now I can't stomach it at all. I got "burnt out" on it. Same with Bran cereals. We no longer even make macaroni and cheese. Bleh! My diet is not fun!

Everything is okay in moderation though. I think at this point I could almost become vegetarian.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1438709972|3911056 said:
CJ2008|1438655387|3910793 said:

Really? Not for me Niel.

Haha. That's how I feel about I can eat a million servings of pasta

Oh, Niel, I'm not EXCLUDING pasta!

I can have a nice big HEFTY bowl and get up for seconds.

And if it's my husband's macaroni (with red sauce and meat :lickout: ) I can easily have thirds.

As I can easily have half a box (I don't say the full box because I haven't tried it in a while but I am *sure* I can) of Entenmann's chocolate donuts in one sitting... :-o

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1438721926|3911133 said:
I'm well versed in portion sizes as I'm also diabetic. I rarely eat pasta (or rice or bread) anymore. Maybe once a month. I've tried all the gluten free varieties too, because my daughter is celiac, but I hate them. I also at one time ate mostly just brown rice as my carb. Now I can't stomach it at all. I got "burnt out" on it. Same with Bran cereals. We no longer even make macaroni and cheese. Bleh! My diet is not fun!

Everything is okay in moderation though. I think at this point I could almost become vegetarian.

Lyra what do you mean you "burned out" on it? Like you can't tolerate it?

I eat a lot of whole wheat and bran stuff...thinking it's better...but I've read negative things about whole wheat too.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to eat stuff I really need to chew, which is why quinoa doesn't work well for me, not to deny how healthy it really is. I need stuff like brown rice or farro, where it's really chewy, got lots of texture, and thus it takes me longer to actually chew it enough to swallow it. It gives my brain some extra time to tell my stomach it's full. I just inhale quinoa like soup, insert and swallow. No chewing necessary. But for some people it really works. Try different things and see what works for you.

I've been eating brown rice for 12 years now, and it has not only helped me eat less in terms of volume of rice, but it's a GREAT source of fiber, I mean, really cleans out the pipes. I'm talking VBM people!! Just make sure you drink lots of water during the day too.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm hypoglycemic, so no diabetes here. Fasting blood sugar for me is around 65-70. I do fine with it but my window is pretty narrow, and my current doc totally freaked out the first time he saw my numbers...lol. Thats always been a bit of a problem but I manage it pretty well (I've known about it since I was 16).

When I eat carbs I always try to combine with a good fat or protein because I will go on a wild ride high then a very sickly low if I'm not too careful.

Case in point, a few weeks ago I got myself some ginger candy (I love ginger), and um...oops ate too many) my blood sugar dumped 54 which was BAD. I always know when it goes in a bad direction because its just something you can feel....diabetics know what I'm talking about. Anyway I try to keep fast acting carbs to a minimum, meaning too much sugar, or "white" carbs, though there are times when I HAVE to have some cake.. one of the few ways I like milk...lol. Though I also do like pizza, I keep it to a minimum.

I don't eat much pasta, and when I do its very small amounts, like the size of my fist. Not that I have a big fist or anything! :lol: I'm not big on it, and I hate that it makes my mouth all gummy afterwards. Same with rice, though I do like brown and wild rice the most.

I will however chow down on some buttered and salted popcorn (covered in hotsauce) :shock:

Thankfully I like meat. Man a big ol rare steak... :lickout: I'd do it every night if I could! As it is, veggies, some meat, I'm usually good. I do like my wine though, always a glass with dinner. (sometimes after ;-) )

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1438712902|3911070 said:
I know that looks like very little pasta, but want to reiterate that carbs are not the cause of obesity . If you look at most diets around the world (especially Asia), rice and noodles are the stable and make up about 70-90% of the meal. It's really calories in vs. calories out. Period.

I eat about 4X that amount of pasta for my regular dinner serving, but realize that I need to work out every day, an hour a day in order to enjoy my nice hefty portions.

Carbs affect everyone differently. I cannot eat pasta/rice/bread without it going right to my stomach. When you are insulin resistant, even a low-calorie diet filled with carbs is no good.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I try to cut down on carbs I like to have Japanese konnyaku noodles, Korean sweet potato noodles (in moderation) or mung bean vermicelli noodles. The latter three still have carbs but are better than wheat pasta.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeeze. One serving for a CHILD! Unfortunately I can/do eat 4x that. Plus sauce!

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1438730077|3911195 said:
Depressing isn't it?

+1

Makes me want to cry over how much I can't eat. My nutritionist told me that 1/2 a cup of cooked rice is also one serving. ;( :(sad I grew up on eating full, heaping bowls of rice... Now i feel like measuring everything sucks the enjoyment out of eating

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stepcutnut|1438690636|3910943 said:
Have you tried black bean pasta? Lots of protein too :)
I am very intrigued by this. 25 grams of protien per serving and 17 grams of carbs. Is it any good? Does it taste like beans?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for the advice! :wavey:

Actually, we very rarely have regular pasta, I think the last time was in March. DD was home and wanted it so I took this opportunity to take the picture because it is just so ridiculous how little food it is and how bad it is for you. Just wanted to show that as a PSA.

We usually have whole wheat pasta, or whatever we can find with high fiber. It doesn't help a lot, carbwise, and it still spikes his blood sugar. :nono: The serving size for No Yolks egg noodles is pretty good after cooking, and I can get 25-30 grams of carbs to fill the plate. It's once every 3 weeks (after 32 years of family cooking, I have a food rotation figured out). We usually have a smidgen of basmati rice but usually just skip carbs altogether. The best food staple we've found is sweet potatoes (just microwaved in the skin, then peel and eat) as a side dish. The fiber sweeps out the blood sugar and the sugars in the sweet potato have a VERY small glycemic load.

DH is doing quite well on all this healthy food, and our new exercise program. His numbers are consistently below 100, which is normal. :appl:

The black bean pasta is at Costco, and it is a remarkable food for the numbers. It doesn't really taste like much of anything, but is a bit dry, so I stir a tablespoon of olive oil in the pot when done. DH doesn't really like it, but he'll eat it with homemade "spaghetti" sauce (store bought sauce is a lot of sugar!) and I make it with turkey meatballs from Schwans. I tell him to pretend he went to foreign country and ordered spaghetti. :bigsmile:

DH feels bad about me altering my diet too, so he often foists sweets on me. The house has never had more brownies in it! :lol: I actually love the new diet, I feel so much better. A big favorite here is Pepperidge Farm German Dark Wheat bread, it's hard to find but so delicious and it's fiber also helps keep his numbers down. I have to still be careful about red meats, because his family has a history of heart attacks, so it's mostly fish, chicken, pork (some cuts are low in fat) and turkey. Steak is once every 3 weeks at most.

If anyone can lead me to a low sugar BBQ sauce (below 3 sugars per serving) that would be awesome. Because it's RIDICULOUS how I can' find this, and being Southern, we miss our BBQ. :sun:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spaghetti squash is an excellent sub for pasta too. I always forget it, because I've basically given up on the thought of spaghetti now, but it is definitely a great alternative.

About the brown rice burn out. Yes, just the thought of it really bothers me now. It was what I ate daily for a couple of years when I was being super duper strict. I think it's also a texture problem for me, same with all the gluten free pastas. I can't do quinoa either, but that one actually does upset my stomach.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1438786506|3911440 said:
Thanks, everyone, for the advice! :wavey:

Actually, we very rarely have regular pasta, I think the last time was in March. DD was home and wanted it so I took this opportunity to take the picture because it is just so ridiculous how little food it is and how bad it is for you. Just wanted to show that as a PSA.

We usually have whole wheat pasta, or whatever we can find with high fiber. It doesn't help a lot, carbwise, and it still spikes his blood sugar. :nono: The serving size for No Yolks egg noodles is pretty good after cooking, and I can get 25-30 grams of carbs to fill the plate. It's once every 3 weeks (after 32 years of family cooking, I have a food rotation figured out). We usually have a smidgen of basmati rice but usually just skip carbs altogether. The best food staple we've found is sweet potatoes (just microwaved in the skin, then peel and eat) as a side dish. The fiber sweeps out the blood sugar and the sugars in the sweet potato have a VERY small glycemic load.

DH is doing quite well on all this healthy food, and our new exercise program. His numbers are consistently below 100, which is normal. :appl:

The black bean pasta is at Costco, and it is a remarkable food for the numbers. It doesn't really taste like much of anything, but is a bit dry, so I stir a tablespoon of olive oil in the pot when done. DH doesn't really like it, but he'll eat it with homemade "spaghetti" sauce (store bought sauce is a lot of sugar!) and I make it with turkey meatballs from Schwans. I tell him to pretend he went to foreign country and ordered spaghetti. :bigsmile:

DH feels bad about me altering my diet too, so he often foists sweets on me. The house has never had more brownies in it! :lol: I actually love the new diet, I feel so much better. A big favorite here is Pepperidge Farm German Dark Wheat bread, it's hard to find but so delicious and it's fiber also helps keep his numbers down. I have to still be careful about red meats, because his family has a history of heart attacks, so it's mostly fish, chicken, pork (some cuts are low in fat) and turkey. Steak is once every 3 weeks at most.

If anyone can lead me to a low sugar BBQ sauce (below 3 sugars per serving) that would be awesome. Because it's RIDICULOUS how I can' find this, and being Southern, we miss our BBQ. :sun:
Hmm...maybe you can make your own BBQ sauce?

I'll bet some paleo recipes or whole30 recipes may hit the mark? Some are not sweetened at all, some with apple juice.

If you have a sprouts market, I remember they had some BBQ sauces with xylitol or stevia. Not sure they would taste good, but the sugars might be close. I think the tomatoes might be pushing the mark a bit...

edit: and thanks for the info about the black bean pasta!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results