shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking of geting my first massage. Questions

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
So I have been wanting to get a massage for a long time. I have just been so so stressed recently and some shoulder pain and really want to go for my first massage. But whats holding me back is I am very very self consious about my body.

I have this fear that the massage therapist will take a look at me and be so grossed out and judgemental and it will ruin it for me. Am I being stupid? Should I go for it and risk being humiliated? Or just give up the idea of it because of of my weight and rethink it once I lose the weight.

I wonder what the massage therapists really think of overweight clients?

I have it in my head that they are use to seeing fit athletes only.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've got it backwards.
You have the money.
They should be worried about impressing you with their skill.

Now get your beautiful body in there are enjoy it!!!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I agree with Kenny. I don’t think you should worry about it, I’m sure you don’t have anything that they haven’t already seen!

Just make sure you go to someone you’re comfortable with. I used to go to a really nice woman in her forties when I was in high school and having lots of back problems. I tend to be self-conscious but I don’t remember worrying too much about what the massage therapist thought. I talked to her about my back problems and everything for a while before the first massage so I felt comfortable and at ease.

I think you just need to find the right massage therapist for you and you’ll be fine. Don’t worry about it. You don’t have to be completely naked either. I think I usually had panties on and sometimes a bra. Plus a lot of your body will be covered up if they’re massaging your shoulder for most of the time.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
massage is wonderful. i am not body beautiful. no one has run yet as competition is fierce and most need the green.

i'd also recommend acupuncture for stress. i find it to be divine.....each needle sort of plugs in and i go to lala land.

MoZo

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Trust me they are not all just rubbing down hard bodies all the time. Their job is a healer and to be non-judgmental. If they ever make you feel uncomfortable, excuse yourself and tell management. You definitely deserve a massage. To make the most of it you need to be very vocal about the technique you prefer, like hard or light and where it hurts.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a rule, massage therapists are people who want to help people. They are some pretty non-judgemental folks. And as others have mentioned, they've seen lots of bodies, of all sizes, ages, and levels of fitness. If they were grossed out by bodies, they wouldn't be doing what they do, believe me.

Tips.

If it hurts, SAY SOMETHING. Do NOT let a massage therapist hurt you. Actually, this should be a greater concern than what they are thinking about how you look. Finding a real brute is very rare, but they do exist, and you are not obliged to put up with it. Massage should never exceed that edge of pain level. If it does, they are likely damaging soft tissue.

Feel free to wear your panties if it makes you feel less exposed. They aren't going to think less of you, and it will give them a clue as to your modesty level. Feel free to tell them where you don't want them working. Most therapists will work back, buttocks, backs of legs, fronts of legs, arms, top of chest, neck, shoulders. I have a really bad back/neck, so when I go in, I tell them that, and to concentrate there, and skip most of the rest. You can use the technique of saying hey, it hurts here, just work HERE, as a way of keeping them away from any areas (like legs or wherever) that would make you uncomfortable, all without having to discuss it. Feel free too, to direct them as to pressure applied - more or less.

Remember, these people want to please you. They would like to see you again. They want to develop a rapport with you. And you'll find that most massage therapists are just pretty decent people.

Since you're not well-versed in this, I suggest getting a female for your first massage. Most women and a lot of men, are more comfortable with a woman at first. As a general rule, women have those smaller fingers that can dig into specific places, while men have more brute strength and are better for deep tissue work. IN GENERAL.

Finding a good theapist you click with is definitely worth the time and effort, and when you do you WILL be hooked, trust me. Best of luck to you!

(just for the record, at one point in my life, before my own back went south, I was training to be a massage therapist, so I do have a bit of background here :wacko: )

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I also trained as a therapist. Trust me, if you have a shower, clean undies, and clearly communicate your needs, you are golden. If you are feeling skittish, perhaps visiting your local school's clinic might be good. You will see not only do the clients come in all shapes and sizes, so do the students!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1294398930|2816566 said:
As a rule, massage therapists are people who want to help people. They are some pretty non-judgemental folks. And as others have mentioned, they've seen lots of bodies, of all sizes, ages, and levels of fitness. If they were grossed out by bodies, they wouldn't be doing what they do, believe me.

Tips.

If it hurts, SAY SOMETHING. Do NOT let a massage therapist hurt you. Actually, this should be a greater concern than what they are thinking about how you look. Finding a real brute is very rare, but they do exist, and you are not obliged to put up with it. Massage should never exceed that edge of pain level. If it does, they are likely damaging soft tissue.

Feel free to wear your panties if it makes you feel less exposed. They aren't going to think less of you, and it will give them a clue as to your modesty level. Feel free to tell them where you don't want them working. Most therapists will work back, buttocks, backs of legs, fronts of legs, arms, top of chest, neck, shoulders. I have a really bad back/neck, so when I go in, I tell them that, and to concentrate there, and skip most of the rest. You can use the technique of saying hey, it hurts here, just work HERE, as a way of keeping them away from any areas (like legs or wherever) that would make you uncomfortable, all without having to discuss it. Feel free too, to direct them as to pressure applied - more or less.

Remember, these people want to please you. They would like to see you again. They want to develop a rapport with you. And you'll find that most massage therapists are just pretty decent people.

Since you're not well-versed in this, I suggest getting a female for your first massage. Most women and a lot of men, are more comfortable with a woman at first. As a general rule, women have those smaller fingers that can dig into specific places, while men have more brute strength and are better for deep tissue work. IN GENERAL.

Finding a good theapist you click with is definitely worth the time and effort, and when you do you WILL be hooked, trust me. Best of luck to you!

(just for the record, at one point in my life, before my own back went south, I was training to be a massage therapist, so I do have a bit of background here :wacko: )

Ksinger - I think this really depends on the type of massage. I had to do extensive massage therapy when my back locked up one year. It HURT but it was because we had to roll the muscles out of their knots to get them to where they were functional again. You just have to define where it is good pain and where it is bad pain.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dragonfly411|1294412798|2816668 said:
ksinger|1294398930|2816566 said:

Tips.

Ksinger - I think this really depends on the type of massage. I had to do extensive massage therapy when my back locked up one year. It HURT but it was because we had to roll the muscles out of their knots to get them to where they were functional again. You just have to define where it is good pain and where it is bad pain.

There IS the "ooo that hurts so good" kind of pain, and then there is the "if you do that again I'm going to deck you" hurts. Some (bad) therapists will tell you that it HAS to hurt to be effective, which is a load. There was in fact, one fellow student I studied with, who WAS a brute of that very stripe, and wouldn't take no for an answer. An ass. You were in danger just standing NEXT to this guy.

My point was, if a therapist is telling you that it can't be effective unless it hurts, they aren't properly trained. Period. There's more than one way to skin a cat, especially in massage, and if they can't figure out a way to help the client without hurting them, they are just lame. You are the final arbiter of what is too much for you, not the therapist. The only therapist I would allow to "hurt" me, would be a PT, and their training is far more extensive.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, your first massage should be fun and relaxing, not stressful. I remember I was nervous about my first one, but I just let the therapist know that I'd never had one before and she put me at ease. She asked where I held my stress, and if she was using too much/enough pressure at various points during the massage. I really think the therapists want to make you happy and aren't thinking about what you look like--they just want to relieve your stress and get their tip. :D

I'd also recommend going to a place where you feel comfortable. You can get massages at spas, therapists' offices, and at a chiropractor's office if they have a therapist on staff. Pick a place where you'd feel most at ease--if the clinical freaks you out, avoid the chiropractor, but if you feel like a spa scenario might be too fancy/intimidating, go with a place more in line with your comfort level.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscher, please don't let this stop you from getting a massage! I have a close relative who is a massage therapist, and I absolutely PROMISE you that you have nothing to worry about! Massage therapists are trained to help anyone and everyone who wants/needs a massage, regardless of size, shape or whatever. And most therapists will drape you with a sheet in such a way that ONLY the area that's currently being worked on would be exposed, so you're pretty much covered up the whole time. Also, as others have mentioned, you can specifically request that the therapist focus on certain areas and avoid others. Your therapist won't mind that at all! He/she will want to do whatever is going to make you feel the most comfortable and relaxed. I think you should definitely go for it! You'll be SO glad you did! :mrgreen:

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I'm currently in massage therapy school. I'm excited for you to try massage for the first time!

As others have said, the massage is about YOU. If you aren't experiencing benefits from the massage, it's lose-lose. Some massage therapists can feel signals in the body if you're tensing up due to too much pressure, etc, but we want you to feel empowered to speak up and tell us what you need.

No. No one is going to judge your body. If you go to an experienced LMT (licensed massage therapist), trust me, they've seen it all. You can have your massage fully clothed if undressing makes you uncomfortable. There are so many other techniques besides the basic swedish massage that can help decrease your pain levels. Even if you opt to go the swedish route, you can still leave on your bra and panties. The LMT will have to work around them, but anyone worth their salt can do it. They are experienced in draping the body, so if they're working on your left leg, that is the ONLY body part that should be exposed. Your comfort during the massage is paramount.

Wear some comfy clothes. If you wear contacts, sometimes it's easier to just wear glasses. Being showered is always a good idea. If you have any questions, ask. You're in a new environment, it's totally understandable. Make sure the therapist knows this is your first massage. If you're more comfortable with a female therapist, request one. (I will have to disagree that men are better suited to deep tissue. It's all about softening the layers of superficial tissue and it doesn't take brute strength to do that, just patience).

If you have any other questions, I'd love to answer them! I truly believe the body has the power to heal itself and I love seeing people take a holistic approach to wellness!

Also, if you want a mini session without taking off anything but your shoes, try reflexology! Specific points in the body are accessed on the soles of the feet. It is fantastic for stress and can help release toxin build up in the body.

The last time I got a massage there was a 400lbs lady waiting for one as well. Large enough that she had to put the largest robe on with a towel over front because it wouldn't close. I also saw a mom and daughter that must have each been between 90-105bs.

I bet they DO see everything.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it WAS a general statement. Maybe I wasn't clear on the deep tissue bit. I've found that IN GENERAL, men have an overall firmer touch, larger hands, and are frequently able to apply pressure for longer periods than say, the gal I go to. She is great and can pinpoint like no other, but she weighs all of 95 lbs soaking wet. No amount of proper ergonomics or skill is going to allow her to lean into me or cover as much area at one time as a 200 lb guy with hands like plates. But it is a matter of personal preference certainly.

Oh, and be sure and go well-hydrated. The therapist is going to be helping dump cellular waste into the bloodstream by manipulating the muscles, so you want to try to dilute yourself a bit before you go, and drink plenty of water after.

And if you ever get the chance, visit The Ten Thousand Waves in Santa Fe, and get a massage from one of their master therapists. Their regular ones are top-notch, but the masters? OMG. You will think you've died and gone to heaven. You will propose marriage, or if married, will likely offer up your firstborn. ;))

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
ksinger|1294422902|2816779 said:
Oh, and be sure and go well-hydrated. The therapist is going to be helping dump cellular waste into the bloodstream by manipulating the muscles, so you want to try to dilute yourself a bit before you go, and drink plenty of water after.

Ditto this for sure! Lots and lots of water when you're done.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
You'll love your massage! I second TG on the reflexology as well..one of my friends is a massage therapist and she used to do my feet all the time..ahhhhh..I call it hurtsmyfeetology, but it is a good hurt.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results