shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking About Going to London! Would Love Advice!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
We have been debating about visiting London this Fall. I told my husband I would ask my fellow PSers for advice!

1. What is the O2 like? We are thinking about attending an event there. Rules, hassles,tips?

2. Where would you recommend staying? Someone told my husband the Le Meridien is nice. What do you think? Other recommendations?

3. Must see sights? Places to eat?

We need to make a decision soon, and we are really having a difficult time deciding what to do. The trip will be expensive, and we both have commitments that we need to balance.

I really want to travel with my husband! We have only visited a few countries in Europe, and I would love to see more. However, there is that practical, committed side of me that says we need to put the trip off until next summer. Plus, there are so many things we need to do in our home such as recovering some favorite chairs, changing draperies, new chests, etc. $$$$$

In the end only my husband and I can make the final decision, but I would love to know your thoughts! :wavey:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have not been to London since 2001 so I can't give you too much advice except to say I loved it there! You need to go to the Tower of London (Crown Jewels). :love: :love: :love: There is a crazy amount to see and do and 6 days didn't feel like enough time.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I work in travel and leisure, and we do a TON of London travel...

Claridge's is gorgeous (as is the rest of the Maybourne group), and not ridiculously expensive (well, but London standards, at least--I mean, everything is expensive).

As far as tourist attractions, if you've never been, of course you have to do the standards: Tower of London, Crown Jewels, Parliament, Buckingham Palace... Etc... But I have also been hearing wonderful things about these treasure hunt/scavenger hunts: http://www.readycitygo.com/
Chewton Glen is supposed to be spectacular (I haven't been, but I've heard wonderful things from my colleagues). Finally, the Cotswolds. You must go! Just rent a car, get a map and wander! I'm sure the locals would be mortified of that advise, but it's just amazing.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy, I have wanted to visit London since I was a little girl! It seems like a magical place. We are so late with our plans that the airline tickets are quite expensive for the seats we want.

tuffyluvr, I am so lucky that you are on PS! My husband is a great driver/navigator, so he may be game to rent a car. I am going to peruse the places you recommended.

I really appreciate both of you! :wavey:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's been quite a while since I visited London (17 years), and I'd love to go back someday. During my trip, a family member and I did all the touristy things that tuffyluvr mentioned, and we also saw a show one night. Our trip was a bit unique because my family member was actually on a business trip, recruiting students from several colleges to do a semester or a year abroad at the college she worked for in the US. Because of that, we traveled all around England in a rental car.

If you have time to explore other areas outside London, I'd recommend going to Shakespeare's birthplace (http://www.shakespeare.org.uk/home.html) in Stratford-upon-Avon. Because we had a car, we toured around on our own, but there are day-trip package tours from London to Shakespeare's house. I think it's just under a 2 hour drive from the city.

Another city I'd recommend visiting if you have time is York (http://www.visityork.org/). It's further away, about a 3.5 hour drive from London, but it's such a great city.

Have fun if you go! I know what it's like to put of travel plans to take care of things at home, but hopefully you'll be able to make it work.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much Zoe! I really want to go . . . the $$$ is nagging me though! Then, on the other hand . . . one never knows the future. Maybe we should just say the $$$ was worth the memory? :confused:

Anyway, I am going to look up what you wrote in your reply. I sooo appreciate the tips! :appl:

GK2

Rough_Rock
I live about 40 minutes from York and can highly recommend it, but it would be a very long drive from London if you were thinking of it and you would need to stay overnight. Yorkshire as a whole is fantastic - it's not known as God's Own County for nothing, and we Yorkshire folk are very proud of it!

As far as London goes - I would say Tower of London for the Crown Jewels, Buckingham Palace (although it may be closed to visitors when you come in Autumn), the Palace of Westminster and all the other ususal touristy things! I love London (I start at Fortnum and Mason and work my way through Burlington Arcade and down Bond Street drooling at the jewels!) but you need to give yourself time to really see things otherwise they all blend into each other - I'm sure some of our London PSers will have more suggestions for you.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't forget to book your train ticket to Cheshire to see my hairdresser!! ;))

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
GK2|1374763164|3489920 said:
I live about 40 minutes from York and can highly recommend it, but it would be a very long drive from London if you were thinking of it and you would need to stay overnight. Yorkshire as a whole is fantastic - it's not known as God's Own County for nothing, and we Yorkshire folk are very proud of it!

As far as London goes - I would say Tower of London for the Crown Jewels, Buckingham Palace (although it may be closed to visitors when you come in Autumn), the Palace of Westminster and all the other ususal touristy things! I love London (I start at Fortnum and Mason and work my way through Burlington Arcade and down Bond Street drooling at the jewels!) but you need to give yourself time to really see things otherwise they all blend into each other - I'm sure some of our London PSers will have more suggestions for you.

GK2, you are very wise about sights/events blending into each other when we try to see too much in one day! We are usually guilty of not booking enough time to see the major sights, never mind the charming places along the way. My daughter was in London a few years ago, and took pictures of so e of the Royal jewels before the security guard gave her a stern warning! I will have to see if I can find the pictures.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Alex T|1374768020|3489981 said:
Don't forget to book your train ticket to Cheshire to see my hairdresser!! ;))

Ha! Ha! I was just snipping split hair ends this morning! Honestly, I may make it to London before Dallas! :appl:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I have lived in London on and off for 15 years, and have been personal tour guide to hoards of visiting relatives. I have also travelled extensively throughout the UK.

Tell me when and how long you have and I shall help you. Please note that in 15 years, I have still not managed to see everything worth seeing in London, let alone the rest of the UK.

ETA: I feel I should add that my born and bred Londoner husband is largely responsible for my adventures in London. I could get lost in a cupboard but he has an amazing knowledge of London and has missed his calling as a cabbie!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
My MIL lives near London and we visit about once per year.

We've done most of the standard touristy things, but I have to say that the Tower is my favorite! There is so much to see with the armories and the royal jewels. Also very neat to walk along the battlements!

For something cheap (for London), but surprisingly good, we hit up Nandos and Wagamamas. Its also cheaper to buy takeout and eat it in a park so we usually do that for lunch if the weather permits.

If you rent a car, I would suggest taking the train slightly outside of London and renting from somewhere more rural. My husband used to live in the UK and had a car, but even he won't drive in London. He's fine in Manhattan, Montreal, Toronto, even Paris once, but he won't do London. Driving in general in the UK is ok though, the signs are very good.

If you can get your hands on an unlocked phone, its worth buying a prepaid SIM card from Carphone Warehouse so you have data while you're walking around. I think it was around 15 pounds for unlimited data last time I did this.

Always have a mini umbrella on you! The weather goes from sunny, to rain, to sunny again far more often than it does in the States.

If you do plan an overnight outside of London, you might want to try booking the hotel room on laterooms.com. We've found some great last minute deals on that site.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta|1374785192|3490222 said:
I have lived in London on and off for 15 years, and have been personal tour guide to hoards of visiting relatives. I have also travelled extensively throughout the UK.

Tell me when and how long you have and I shall help you. Please note that in 15 years, I have still not managed to see everything worth seeing in London, let alone the rest of the UK.

ETA: I feel I should add that my born and bred Londoner husband is largely responsible for my adventures in London. I could get lost in a cupboard but he has an amazing knowledge of London and has missed his calling as a cabbie!

Hi Rosetta! I am honored to have you help me! That would be fantastic! Is there a way I can contact you other than on PS?

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
chemgirl|1374788332|3490264 said:
My MIL lives near London and we visit about once per year.

We've done most of the standard touristy things, but I have to say that the Tower is my favorite! There is so much to see with the armories and the royal jewels. Also very neat to walk along the battlements!

For something cheap (for London), but surprisingly good, we hit up Nandos and Wagamamas. Its also cheaper to buy takeout and eat it in a park so we usually do that for lunch if the weather permits.

If you rent a car, I would suggest taking the train slightly outside of London and renting from somewhere more rural. My husband used to live in the UK and had a car, but even he won't drive in London. He's fine in Manhattan, Montreal, Toronto, even Paris once, but he won't do London. Driving in general in the UK is ok though, the signs are very good.

If you can get your hands on an unlocked phone, its worth buying a prepaid SIM card from Carphone Warehouse so you have data while you're walking around. I think it was around 15 pounds for unlimited data last time I did this.

Always have a mini umbrella on you! The weather goes from sunny, to rain, to sunny again far more often than it does in the States.

If you do plan an overnight outside of London, you might want to try booking the hotel room on laterooms.com. We've found some great last minute deals on that site.

Thank you so much chemgirl! I told my husband that I was bragging about his navigating/driving skills, and he reminded me that the steering wheel is on the opposite side! The turnabouts in Ireland were confusing enough, so London would be out of the question!

I appreciate you reminding me about the phone! We once had a travel phone, but it is defunct now. If we go, I need to make a list of things to obtain.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
It's expensive, of course. Be prepared for high taxi fares and expensive meals out in the capital. When I go back, I'm always struck by what a great place London is to visit. SO much to do, so much to see. I think you'll have a great time.

And although it's generally an expensive place, the museums are free. :)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
ClassyRocks|1374788946|3490272 said:

Hi Rosetta! I am honored to have you help me! That would be fantastic! Is there a way I can contact you other than on PS?

I'm afraid I'm incognito due to security reasons, but I'm happy to advise you on this thread. What do want to see? Are you bringing kids?

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta|1374789914|3490292 said:

I'm afraid I'm incognito due to security reasons, but I'm happy to advise you on this thread. What do want to see? Are you bringing kids

I completely understand! I actually feel the same way about security. My children make me nervous with their social network activities!
If we come, we will not be bringing children. I am not sure how many days we will be able to stay, but I hope for at least a week or 10days. Please don't take time for me now, since we have not decided if we are coming this Fall.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
ClassyRocks|1374790701|3490302 said:
rosetta|1374789914|3490292 said:

I'm afraid I'm incognito due to security reasons, but I'm happy to advise you on this thread. What do want to see? Are you bringing kids

I completely understand! I actually feel the same way about security. My children make me nervous with their social network activities!
If we come, we will not be bringing children. I am not sure how many days we will be able to stay, but I hope for at least a week or 10days. Please don't take time for me now, since we have not decided if we are coming this Fall.

Ok holler when you know for sure!

April20

Ideal_Rock
We were just there in April. We actually only did London for a three days- we did Scotland and England as well (and a quick side trip to Paris).

I made DH go to the Tower with me so I could see all the jewels. Plus we enjoy history. But the jewels are amazing.

We also did the Borough Market for food. There was some amazing paella! It's best on Saturdays. I have a ridiculous amount of food pictures that I took there.

We ate at St John on night with friends. That was amazing! One of our friends had been there previously and made the reservations.

I'll have to think back and remember what else we did. We did so much outside of London that we didn't do a ton in London as we've both been previously.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta, will do! We need to make the decision soon! I really do appreciate you! :wink2:

Edited for grammar :read:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
ClassyRocks|1374791170|3490315 said:
rosetta, will do! We need to make the decision soon, so I will post our decision. I really do appreciate you! :wink2:

It'll be my pleasure. April, borough is one of my favourite markets, I used to live a few hundred yards away. Temptation!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Rosetta, my old office was in Copperfield Street (tiny street - you might not know it) very near Borough Market, from 2000-2004. Perhaps we were quite near each other! I didn't go to the market much, but I do remember buying dates stuffed with nuts there :love:

April20

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1374791678|3490323 said:
ClassyRocks|1374791170|3490315 said:
rosetta, will do! We need to make the decision soon, so I will post our decision. I really do appreciate you! :wink2:

It'll be my pleasure. April, borough is one of my favourite markets, I used to live a few hundred yards away. Temptation!

If I lived a few hundred yards away, I'd be the size of a house! I'm not really one for sweets, but I bought a chocolate chip cookie and IT WAS THE BEST COOKIE EVER. So much so, that I made DH take me back a couple days later for ANOTHER ONE. Seriously. While we were there, I ate paella, an empanada, the cookie and had a mimosa. Every time I turned around, DH had some kind of sandwich! We went with friends and it was amazing! I could go back right now.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Sounds as if you really made the most of it!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Smith1942|1374789777|3490288 said:
It's expensive, of course. Be prepared for high taxi fares and expensive meals out in the capital. When I go back, I'm always struck by what a great place London is to visit. SO much to do, so much to see. I think you'll have a great time.

And although it's generally an expensive place, the museums are free. :)

Oh Smith! I completely missed your reply! I am so sorry. I have been popping in and out between errands.

I have heard that it is expensive which is why we are still debating about going at this time. I believe DH said the airline tickets were going to be about $3500/person! :o It will be a long trip, so we want to travel comfortably, plus it does not help that we are so late booking tickets. DD and I were in cheap seats a few years ago when we went to Europe, and I swore I would never be that cramped again! We had the reallllly cheap seats! I don't mean to sound like a snob, but DH will never take me anywhere again if he has a bad experience flying to the UK!

London and Paris are two cities I have always wanted to visit. I would love to tour Germany, Luxembourg, and Austria too! I better concentrate on London first! I love history, so the free museums sound awesome. :love:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
April20|1374791079|3490314 said:
We were just there in April. We actually only did London for a three days- we did Scotland and England as well (and a quick side trip to Paris).

I made DH go to the Tower with me so I could see all the jewels. Plus we enjoy history. But the jewels are amazing.

We also did the Borough Market for food. There was some amazing paella! It's best on Saturdays. I have a ridiculous amount of food pictures that I took there.

We ate at St John on night with friends. That was amazing! One of our friends had been there previously and made the reservations.

I'll have to think back and remember what else we did. We did so much outside of London that we didn't do a ton in London as we've both been previously.

April, I mentioned to DH that we should take a jaunt over to Paris as long as we will be spending so much on the air fare! He thinks we should dedicate a trip entirely to France instead of trying to do too much at one time.

The food sounds amazing! I soooo want to go!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
ClassyRocks|1374794402|3490363 said:
April20|1374791079|3490314 said:

April, I mentioned to DH that we should take a jaunt over to Paris as long as we will be spending so much on the air fare! He thinks we should dedicate a trip entirely to France instead of trying to do too much at one time.

The food sounds amazing! I soooo want to go!

Classy, if you can afford it, fly business or first. Coach is very cramped for a long haul, though I'm a tad over 5 feet tall so it suits me fine! Heathrow is a bit of a crazy airport, but I must say, it's MILES better than JFK. It's no Changi though. I would definitely go to Paris as well, but you MUST add on additional time, you can't squeeze in both under 2 weeks (without running around like a headless chicken). But I would take the Eurostar to Paris from St Pancras. Much less fuss than flying, prebook first class tickets and take the train in comfort and arrive in Paris in 2 hours.

I must hit the sack now.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Update: We are not going to London. :(( We found the airline tickets that we were going to purchase and bookmarked them; we were going to fly first class per Rosetta's suggestion. Then, we spent nearly 4 hours Friday night trying to purchase tickets for the venue that we wanted to attend. Evidently, Stub Hub UK has really strict regulations. We tried our cc, PayPal, etc., but it was like knocking our heads against a wall. On both Friday and Saturday, we were receiving fraud alert notices and phone calls for suspicious activity on the cc. At this point, the excitement has waned for us. While I would still love to visit London, DH's real motivation was to see a particular group perform.

We are going to plan a trip somewhere within the USA this Fall, and look towards Europe next year! I appreciate everyone's suggestions and help.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I can't offer much on the first one. Second one, I don't remember the name of the hotel where we stayed but it was a small house down from where J.M. Barrie lived (author of Peter Pan).
You have to go to the park and feed the swans.
Shakespeare's Theater is a must do. They do actual Shakespeare plays there.
Tower of London (royal Jewels)
Buckingham Palace for the Changing of the Guard
Venture out to Windsor if you can, I loved it!
White Lion Pub in London has the most awesome shepherd's pie
There is a shop in Picadilly Circus that has a lot of toys and candies. They have the best rum raisin ice cream evar
The museums are a must to me.
Paddington Station (where Paddington Bear was found)
Mokssh for Indian Tapas. Seriously the best meal I had in the city of London.
Westminster Abbey - I did not get to see Westminster very close because the day we tried to go the Queen was there. I did get to see the Queen though.
St. Paul's Cathedral
We loved seeing shows on West End. We watched Les Mis and it was amazing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results