shape
carat
color
clarity

Thining hair ladies - any tips??

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, it is absolutely NOT worth waiting. Just because the surgeon isn't the 'recommended' one does not mean that all the rest are incompetent?!! That's outrageous! Just get him seen by somebody else. Hopefully this will all be nothing, but if it is something more sinister, and we all hope not, then speed is of the essence x

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Get that biopsy ASAP missy. You don't need me to tell you how disastrous it is when melanoma spreads.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know rosetta, and I appreciate you weighing in here. I am so angry at myself for even listening to both of our dermatologists (we have a team of 2 and still I feel that we have not done enough perhaps :blackeye: ) and waiting this whole summer. And now it's mid September and after the biopsy (scheduled for next Wed with the non recommended plastic surgeon) g-d forbid if it is melanoma we have to schedule the surgery. And I remember from 2 years ago I had to really push for the oncology surgeon to put Greg in his schedule as soon as he could. The surgeon was so booked and wanted to wait 4 weeks (because it was "only" a stage 2 melanoma!) and I had to put the pressure on and get my derm involved (they are good friends) to put him in the next week.

I guess because they are so overworked and all they just have no place to put him but we are talking about a serious cancer here. Though I am sure many of their patients have a serious problem and therein lies the problem. So much need but so little man/woman power.

I am now freaking out a little because my gut was telling me to get this biopsy even all the while both derms were saying we'll watch it. It's a full 3 plus months later and nothing has been done and in fact one of the derms recommended to wait another 3 months and that's when I finally came to my senses and started insisting on action.

And the mole safe they have been doing on him for over the last 3 years. Well they never even did his head till this past July when they discovered that suspicious lesion on his head in June. Really not good and my dh told the derm that and he agreed they should have been doing it on his head all these years. Not making me feel any more confident. :(sad

Alex, thanks for your sound advice too. Again I am very sorry that I so hijacked your thread. I guess I thought if I didn't have to start a new thread it couldn't/wouldn't be a big deal. Self denial oh how I loathe thee.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Don't panic missy!

The likelihood still is

a) it's not melanoma

b) if it is, it's still stage 1/2

Keep on pushing for the biopsy. Keep vigilant about mole watch, on the scalp, back of limbs and skin folds are places people tend to miss. You've been down this road before so you know what to do.

I'm a radiation oncologist so I don't treat melanoma much (it doesn't respond well to radiation unfortunately) but my medical oncologist colleagues always impress upon early detection and constant vigilance.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much rosetta for sharing your expertise. We will continue being vigilant and as of now biopsy is scheduled for Wed. I appreciate your advice.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
You're more than welcome missy. I'm rooting for you both!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hoping all is going well Missy...

I found this add in a magazine, for The Hair Volume Tablets.. Swedish wat of nourishing your hair from within...

It's a supplelment. One tablet a day...

I am loving the difference..

My hair was always it for me so thining bummed me out..

www.newnordicusa.com

It's available at most drugstores..

I pray I am not breaking the rules in posting this...

If so mods, delete...

My hair was always my crowning glory and having it thin out total bummer... Going through tough divorce...

But personally very happy...

So go figure...

HTH... :wavey:

juliedee

Rough_Rock
Alex T|1378488172|3515739 said:
I posted a few months back about suddenly starting to lose more hair than usual. Some of you may also have seen my hair pic in Classy Rocks' thread for curly hair - it was full & curly & the envy of almost every female friend I have.

Probably a coincidence, but since coming off the pill earlier in the year (think it was April / May) my hair has started to thin. I have a healthy diet, take all the right vitamins & minerals, do not heat style (I let it dry naturally, always) but i'm starting to become concerned. I have been to see my Dr who did blood tests for anaemia & thyroid function amongst some general health checks, which all came back normal. I turned 39 in June, so am not really that old, and have 2 sisters with VERY thick glossy straight black hair & a brother who is as bald as a baby :lol:

There are no bald patches, just thinning generally all over. I have to be careful how I pin it up, as sometimes it can show too much scalp on the top of my head. My hair is very dark, so the scalp shows through very obviously. Has anyone else ever been through a serious shedding phase like this? Did it grow back? I am seeing my hairdresser next Wed so i shall ask her to look through her lense to check for new growth. And keep my fingers crossed! And ladies who DO have thin hair, how do you deal with it? I know its only hair at the end of the day, and I am fit & healthy, but I am rather fond of it :cry:

I can understand your concern of hair thinning, as I faced the same problem a year ago. I am a fashion designer and my profession demands social interactions. Thinning of hair had a great affect on my look.I tried all the therapies to add volume to my hair,but all in vain. I finally decided to go for Remy Human Hair extensions.These have given me my natural and trendy look back.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1379640061|3523898 said:
Hoping all is going well Missy...

I found this add in a magazine, for The Hair Volume Tablets.. Swedish wat of nourishing your hair from within...

It's a supplelment. One tablet a day...

I am loving the difference..

My hair was always it for me so thining bummed me out..

www.newnordicusa.com

It's available at most drugstores..

I pray I am not breaking the rules in posting this...

If so mods, delete...

My hair was always my crowning glory and having it thin out total bummer... Going through tough divorce...

But personally very happy...

So go figure...

HTH... :wavey:

Thank you Lisa! I just ordered this based on your rec and I will keep you posted. My hair is thinning for sure and yesterday after I washed it and looked at the back of my head it was a bit upsetting. But I am going to toughen up and I did make a pact with g-d LOL that if my dh is OK I will be OK with going bald! I mean, there's always wigs right? I might have to start a thread on most natural looking wigs for women who don't want to look religious or otherwise as if they are wearing a wig...if only I didn't get hot so easily as I know they are very warm to wear. ::)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy - I feel your pain. I absolutely send you & every woman out there lots of positive dust for re-growth. Funnily enough it was only when I stopped crying, stopped stressing & accepted that what will be will be, that I started seeing re-growth. I was even looking into human hair wigs! If it is suddenly shedding at a noticeable rate, it will mostly likely be circumstantial & not permenant. From what I have read, it is hair that thins over years, un-noticably as such, that will not re-grow.

Either way it is very distressing :errrr:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Did someone already say Minoxidil? It does actually work, and hair will regrow when applied consistently, daily. But the new growth will fall out when you stop using it. It is a lifetime committment. They have a version for women, and yes, it does work, it's clinically proven.

Barring that, I would suggest Citracal calcium + D. Only the Slow Release 1200 version works. Even if you are taking a calcium supplement, it won't work the same way. Plain calcium won't work without a specific proportion of Vitamin D (it just doesn't absorb), and if calcium isn't time release, it won't process properly and your body will just dump the majority of it.

Try it for one month, and get back to me. :bigsmile:

Here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L4EJQ2/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=22302356557&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=20921621251021926512&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_24n8l4aulq_b

It's 10 bucks, try it for a month. Also, keep an eye on your fingernails, you'll be amazed. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1382140218|3540378 said:
Did someone already say Minoxidil? It does actually work, and hair will regrow when applied consistently, daily. But the new growth will fall out when you stop using it. It is a lifetime committment. They have a version for women, and yes, it does work, it's clinically proven.

Barring that, I would suggest Citracal calcium + D. Only the Slow Release 1200 version works. Even if you are taking a calcium supplement, it won't work the same way. Plain calcium won't work without a specific proportion of Vitamin D (it just doesn't absorb), and if calcium isn't time release, it won't process properly and your body will just dump the majority of it.

Try it for one month, and get back to me. :bigsmile:

Here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L4EJQ2/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=22302356557&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=20921621251021926512&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_24n8l4aulq_b

It's 10 bucks, try it for a month. Also, keep an eye on your fingernails, you'll be amazed. :)

Thank you iLander-I will check this out!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex, I missed your post...thanks for the good thoughts and I am so glad your hair is growing well and you are getting regrowth! And LOL I am not adverse to finding a good wig if I need to. :wink2:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
By any chance, is your intake of selenium high? It can cause you to lose hair. You can do a search for "selenium" and "hair loss".

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I was going to suggest biotin and Nioxin, but it sounds like that's exactly what you're doing! I have naturally fine hair and always see a lot in the shower drain, so I started taking biotin to make it thicker and prevent hair loss/breakage, as well as Nioxin #1 conditioner. I think they've made a bit of a difference, but it's hard to tell. What I definitely have noticed is that my nails are amazing on the biotin. They're strong and shiny. I have to clip them a lot more often, but it's a small price to pay. I've also noticed that I have to tweeze my eyebrows much more frequently.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks jstar. Yes, I think the Nioxin has helped - I am off out to stock up some more shortly as I am almost out & despite the healthy regrowth, I am not prepared to give it up yet just in case!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies. I also found this spray by John Frieda. Luxuries volume spray. From fine to full.. Spray on towel dryed hair and blow dry. Add more as you blow dry and gives a nice full look.

There is another spray that the lady at my Pharmacy swears by called. It's a 10. Miracle blowdry volumizer but havent tried it yet.

HTH.

Missy thinking of you, let us know how it goes on Wednesday.. :wavey:

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I've tried Nioxin, Biotin, and Minoxidil. Nothing did a damn thing. :(sad But my mom has thin hair, and so does my sister. My dad was bald, and so was his, and his mom didn't have tons either. I think that sometimes, you just can't fight genes. Mine is so thin I'm embarrassed to have people see it when it gets wet, and if I go to a beach or a pool party, I usually wear a cute surfer girl hat to hide it. I know there are much worse things (as already indicated by this thread), but I know it can be a total bummer. I hope you find something that works for you! Also... Missy, I hope your husband is ok!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for thinking of my dh Lisa and Kelli. He is still undergoing tests so we don't know anything more as of now. As for the second biopsy that was done last week and we haven't received those results yet.

Kelli and everyone interested-I just heard something on the news last night about how they just grew human hair on mice with some breakthrough discovery...it might take some time to get to humans and market but still that's hope...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/22/science/new-technique-holds-promise-for-hair-loss.html?_r=0

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Cool, thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm less sleepy:)

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I hope everything tuned out okay with your DH's test results.

Alex, I hope you are continuing to see hair re-growth.

I just came across this article about 11 bad habits that make hair thinner which reminded me of this thread. Figured I'd post in case bad habits were a factor in PS'ers hair loss. It's quite alarming to see a lot of hair in the shower. I have naturally thin hair, so I don't have much to spare. DH has to snake the drain once in a while.

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/beauty/11-bad-habits-make-your-hair-thinner

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1384660125|3557865 said:
Missy, I hope everything tuned out okay with your DH's test results.

Alex, I hope you are continuing to see hair re-growth.

I just came across this article about 11 bad habits that make hair thinner which reminded me of this thread. Figured I'd post in case bad habits were a factor in PS'ers hair loss. It's quite alarming to see a lot of hair in the shower. I have naturally thin hair, so I don't have much to spare. DH has to snake the drain once in a while.

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/beauty/11-bad-habits-make-your-hair-thinner

Hi mary poppins, thanks for the well wishes. My dh is doing well, knock wood.

Update on my hair situation:
I saw my dermatologist this past week and he recommended Viviscal-a hair growth supplement so I ordered it online and I have started taking it as of Thursday. It takes 3-6 months to see results (if any). I also had blood tests to rule out any health issues re my hair and they came back normal (save a high ALT which my derm thinks is an anomaly and hopefully he's right because I have been taking a med for over 7 years that can affect the liver that I really do not want to stop taking).

Not sure Viviscal will be a help but wanted to share it with PSers just in case because if you google it there are lots of good reviews.
Ofc if there was any real drug that grew hair we would all know about it and so far there are only 2 known drugs that can- Finasteride (FDA approved only for men at this point) and Minoxidil which is a topical that you have to continue for life and which can cause contact dermatitis so I am not trying that because I am extremely sensitive to topicals.

I also ordered Sunny Isle extra dark Jamaican black castor oil last week and I am starting to apply to my scalp to see if it has any effects. Some people swear by it. I forgot to ask my derm about it though. My guess is he wouldn't have any idea about it anyway. I figure it cannot hurt and my hair is dry so it might be helpful. I really like the smell.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Alex, I am having a similar problem. I had a blood test that specifically tested for iron, ferritin deficiency. I found out I was at 16 where I should be 22-290. I'm way under. Mt doctor said I needed to be at 60 before I would see much improvement with the hair loss. She prescribed a very aggressive regimen of iron supplements, 65mg three times a day. I'll let you know if that takes care of it. Good luck! Let us know what works for you.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy - glad to hear your blood work was all ok. It is a long process to see regrowth, but do keep us posted & fingers crossed for you.

And you too LLJ - fingers crossed your issue is just related to the iron. I also suffer with low iron as I have Von Willibrands Disease, which is a lack of Factor 8 & means I bleed heavily, sometimes REALLY heavily, so I have taken medication to counteract this for as long as I remember. For example, my period can wipe me out & last for 10 days, so I have to take a drug to stop the bleeding from day 5 if I,m having a rough time. And my 2 C- sections, well, we'll not go there with blood bath, death defying descriptions! So hopefully you will be sorted with your iron medication, as iron can be a a bit of a b!tch if you loose too much. Thankfully mine is regularly checked & all ok.

My hair seems to be having complete re-growth. I have last week had it cut the shortest in 20 years, but only to let it catch up with the growth. The roots are really thick, the scalp totally covered & it's all looking really positive for me. Fingers crossed this time next year I will have my lovely long curls back :))

Mary Poppins - that was a fascinating link to read! Thanks for posting it! And sometimes I am guilty of too much selenium??

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I fight it myself. Hypothyroidism and menopause are not a hair healthy duo. When my thyroid goes wonky (which it seems to do occasionally) I see the hair fall out in a grand shed like a dog in the summer. That is followed by significant regrowth in 3-6 months. Right now my hair is covered in a 1 1/2 inch underlayer but is thinner than it was 10 years ago. I have naturally curly/wavy hair with a lot of body, so it hides some of the problem.

Darling daughter at 20 has hormone irregularities and has significant, noticeable hair-loss. She was allergic to the Nioxin. Glad you all shared other options, I will share them with her.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had thinning hair approx three years ago. First I thought it was my imagination, then I realized how thin my ponytail had become and then that I couldn't do some of my hairstyles, like putting it in a bun (because I didn't have enough hair to cover the bunmaker).

I was on the pill and I came across a study that said it's hard for women on the pill to build muscle. I was interested because I wanted to get fit. The study said that women on certain types of pill find it really hard to build muscle if it's a medium or highly androgenic pill. It turned out I was on a highly androgenic pill. I swapped to a non-androgenic pill and found I could work out harder and longer.

And.....my hair seems to have recovered completely. It's much thicker than it was. It got really thin for a while there.

Maybe it wasn't that pill, but it really seems as if it was.

Here's the study: https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/science-public/birth-control-pills-can-limit-muscle-training-gains

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
moneymeister|1417268187|3792244 said:
I fight it myself. Hypothyroidism and menopause are not a hair healthy duo. When my thyroid goes wonky (which it seems to do occasionally) I see the hair fall out in a grand shed like a dog in the summer. That is followed by significant regrowth in 3-6 months. Right now my hair is covered in a 1 1/2 inch underlayer but is thinner than it was 10 years ago. I have naturally curly/wavy hair with a lot of body, so it hides some of the problem.

Darling daughter at 20 has hormone irregularities and has significant, noticeable hair-loss. She was allergic to the Nioxin. Glad you all shared other options, I will share them with her.

Thank you for mentioning menopause Moneymeiser. I've had thin hair my whole life but in the past few years it's gotten much thinner.
I went thru menopause a few years ago and am still on hormones for the hot flashes. Now I'm wondering if the hormones could be part of the problem, although both my mom and grandmother have very thin hair as well. Oh the joys of getting older.

Thank you for the link Jambalya.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the menopause can really be a b*tch. It can be horribly unfair to be a woman sometimes.

My hair has now recovered, a whole year on, enough for me to get the go ahead to start to grow the length back, but I have to admit it hasn't grown back as thick as before? You wouldn't be able to tell & everyone points out how fab it looks again, but I know under certain lights, such as changing rooms, spot lights etc, i can still see some scalp shining through. My mum was in peri-menopause by 40 & found her hair thinning, but my elder sister, who is 50 in May, so far is glowing with health & a thick head of hair. I guess we are all very different, even within our own families.

Missy - how did you get on with those supplements?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Alex, I felt the supplements for my hair really helped but when I got sick this past winter I stopped them as we didn't know what was causing my symptoms (burning and pain in the chest and arms and back) and I d/c'd all my supplements. So I haven't taken them for a long time now and my hair is definitely thinner than it was. I can tell because we have pics posted here and comparing them I see the difference. I would like to start them again but right now I am scared to rock the boat and I have still health issues I am dealing with so first things first. Right now my hair seems like a minor issue compared to other issues so I cannot believe I am saying this but I don't care about my hair right now. :cry: Of course if I was to go bald (g-d forbid) I would be singing a different tune but for now I am leaving well enough alone.

I am glad your hair is growing back and looking lovely albeit not as thick as before. I hope it continues to fill in and grow beautifully. Sending good hair dust to you and everyone dealing with this issue.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm ordering clip in hair extensions. I've had them in the past and they have done wonders to add fullness. I only use them if we are goingsome place nice or getting together with lots if people. I loved the ones I bought two years ago but I started coloring my hair a little darker and can't use them any more. it is time to get new ones.

I had bad reactions to the medicines the doctor prescribed (rogaine for woman). It felt like my scalp was on fire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results