carat
color
clarity

Things you splurge on?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Well, we replace household items rather more often than we should/need. I get tired and bored with stuff--then it's replaced. And because my DH is uninterested in fixing anything--even taking items in under warranty--he just replaces it.

Oh and candles. The L'Occitane Rose is divine! :bigsmile: My DH's splurge is hockey equipment and skates. Worse than jewellery!

cheers--Sharon

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing really. I have a several cups a day coffee habit and will buy it if I'm out and in need, but I maybe buy 2 x £2.40 cups out per week.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going out to dinner

Manicures and pedicures (although the last 3 times I just did a pedicure only, skipped the hands)

Hair cuts and coloring

Sometimes, clothes

Going out for coffee every day, sometimes more than once a day

DH splurges on hobbies like scuba...

(We're trying to get better though, since our splurging gets in our way of our priorities. The unfortunate thing is DH doesn't see our deciding to just go out and eat or deciding to go out and buy x without thinking as splurging, but I think it is...our splurging isn't excessive if you look at it by itself...but it definitely is because it's undisciplined.)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eating out, often once a day. Not expensive places... places where I can spend some time reading the paper and doing the sudoku or crossword puzzle without feeling rushed.

Scented soaps... I love a nice bar of scented soap. This is of course a very inexpensive luxury - the splurge part is in buying more that I need or can use. :wink2:

I don't have a lot of diamonds but I do have more than I use on any sort of everyday basis - but then, I suppose most PSers do!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I are DINKs (double income no kids) in early 30s with no debt, mortgage pretty much paid off, a healthy savings cushion and only two very spoiled kitties... Still we are pretty careful with our money when it comes to conspicuous consumption. DH mainly spends money on vinyl records or Japanese whiskey (or occasionally ridiculously expensive running shoes), while my main luxury is jewelry (I don't buy name brand bags, shoes or clothes any more.) I used to go to a pricier salon for hair cuts and manicures (because it was the one my mom brought us to as kids, but the hair cuts were $150!) but now I just get a quick $15 cut near our apartment.

We live in a city where cars are not common, so we take public transport and the occasional taxi at night.

We eat quite well (mainly because we are in the F&B industry so it's kind of a must to eat out for work) but not extravagantly.

I would say travel and jewelry are my big expenses. We are going to Tokyo in July and then Europe in August, and New Zealand in December. We try to make it back to the US to visit family every year too. I try to make a regional weekend trip to go shopping in either Bangkok, Seoul or Japan once a year. Flights are about $200-500 so not too crazy.

The most expensive/ridiculous luxury I would say we have is that we use imported Japanese tofu (okara) cat litter. It costs more than canned cat food, but totally worth it because it soaks up all the odors. It costs us about $13 per week for two cats. I cut down on Starbucks so it evens out. :) and we got a Nespresso machine as a wedding gift so we don't go to Starbucks much any more. :)

ETA: just reread this and I know I sound ridiculous worrying about $13 cat litter when I dropped $3k without blinking for a AVR rock. I blame PS for this. :oops:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results