shape
carat
color
clarity

Things to do in San Francisco?

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
DH completed a fellowship last year and we are going to San Francisco for official recognition and a conference next month. We will be there Thursday thru Sunday with Saturday being the only day that we are totally committed to boring stuff. I would appreciate any recommendations on things to do/see and places to eat. Also Alcatraz is a no-go, its completely booked already.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Window shopping at Union Square.. :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd book a Catamaran cruise around the bay.

As for places to eat, what do you like to eat? There are so many places to eat, need to know what you guys like.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Walk or bike across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. Eat lunch at the ferry building. Take the ferry to tiburon and eat lunch there. Wander Union street (different from Union square). Bike or roller blade through golden gate park on Sunday when it is closed to traffic. Get ice cream at ghiradelli's. Take a Big Bus tour to get a feel of the city. Cupcakes at Kara's cupcakes. Get pastries at Tartine, best bread, gougeres, lemon tarts, banana cream pie, bread pudding, croissants, in the city.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1437370919|3905067 said:

As for places to eat, what do you like to eat? There are so many places to eat, need to know what you guys like.

Ha,ha, everything! But more specifically seafood, Asian, Greek, Cuban, American comfort food, most other ethnic cuisines. DH really isn't an Italian fan.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
ponder|1437389874|3905110 said:

Ha,ha, everything! But more specifically seafood, Asian, Greek, Cuban, American comfort food, most other ethnic cuisines. DH really isn't an Italian fan.
And breakfast, I LOVE breakfast!

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
These are some of my favs:

Plouf - awesome clams & mussels
R&G lounge - Asian food, their crab is famous
something fancy - Gary Danko, better make reservation early

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
The Ghiradelli factory and the art museum were two of my favorite attractions. I haven't been in years, so I won't try to recommend food.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1437383639|3905097 said:
Walk or bike across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. Eat lunch at the ferry building. Take the ferry to tiburon and eat lunch there. Wander Union street (different from Union square). Bike or roller blade through golden gate park on Sunday when it is closed to traffic. Get ice cream at ghiradelli's. Take a Big Bus tour to get a feel of the city. Cupcakes at Kara's cupcakes. Get pastries at Tartine, best bread, gougeres, lemon tarts, banana cream pie, bread pudding, croissants, in the city.

Pretty much this. Add a walk around Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf. Also, you can take a trolley from Union Square (shopping!) to Fisherman's Wharf, which is pretty fun (and very SF). Since you're there for a fairly short time, I'd recommend a guided tour to see all of the sights.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Those are really helpful! Now, please help me pack. Is it really going to be cool in August? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that idea with it being 100F at home. Will I need a jacket? I hear it's very windy.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
ponder said:
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Those are really helpful! Now, please help me pack. Is it really going to be cool in August? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that idea with it being 100F at home. Will I need a jacket? I hear it's very windy.

August should be really nice. I'd bring a jacket, but not a full on coat. The whole west coast has had weird weather this year.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1437487117|3905616 said:
ponder said:

August should be really nice. I'd bring a jacket, but not a full on coat. The whole west coast has had weird weather this year.

If u plan to go out at night, have a thick sweatshirt or those stuffable down jackets. The temp can drop by 15-20 degrees at night. That is just SF. have pants and shorts. Day to day the weather can vary significantly.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I used to do a lot of work in SF and was there at least 4-6 times a year. I kind of miss those days!

Go get garlic crab and garlic noodles from Thanh Long! It's at 41st and Judah (which if I remember correctly is in the Sunset District). It's so good!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
The House is an Asian Fusion Restaurant. I LOVE their sea bass. It's a really small restaurant, and tables are pretty close together.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qtiekiki|1437510923|3905767 said:
The House is an Asian Fusion Restaurant. I LOVE their sea bass. It's a really small restaurant, and tables are pretty close together.

I remember when this restaurant first opened when I was in college. It's been amazingly consistent for 20+ years. Not super innovative but always delicious and consistently on zagat. Be sure you make a reservation in advance cause it fills up quickly! I think they still serve a totally delicious mango tapioca. I still like going here on my anniversaries. I know I will have a wonderful dinner.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1437370409|3905065 said:
Window shopping at Union Square.. :bigsmile:

We are staying right by Union Square :naughty: . DH hates jewelry shopping, but likes to indulge me every once in a while. I think the thing he hates most is when I shop but do not buy. I. MUST. STICK. TO. MY. BUCKET LIST.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
The Bay Ridge Trail in Marin County - it's very close to the Golden Gate Bridge.
Walking around and eating in Chinatown.
Jewelry ogling at Lang Antique & Estate Jewelry.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Sky56|1437601102|3906264 said:
The Bay Ridge Trail in Marin County - it's very close to the Golden Gate Bridge.

You guys are such enablers. Lang's is like 5 blocks from the hotel.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ponder|1437620008|3906340 said:
Sky56|1437601102|3906264 said:

You guys are such enablers. Lang's is like 5 blocks from the hotel.

You're in trouble... :Up_to_something:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Walk or bike across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito.

Golden Gate Bridge is 3.6 miles long and then you have to walk back. It does not lead to Sausalito but does end at a look-out point where you can park and use the restroom. It also can be cold and windy. So be prepared if you decide to walk.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
haha! I went to Lang and drooled but didn't buy anything. To their credit, the woman there was very nice and we had a great conversation, even when she knew I was just a "looker." =)

Visiting the Ghiradelli chocolate store was fun, so was taking a ferry across the bay. I also enjoyed Sausalito. There was a Mexican restaurant on the main street that we enjoyed.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
swingirl|1437626193|3906369 said:

Golden Gate Bridge is 3.6 miles long and then you have to walk back. It does not lead to Sausalito but does end at a look-out point where you can park and use the restroom. It also can be cold and windy. So be prepared if you decide to walk.

Golden Gate Bridge is 1.7 miles each way.
http://goldengatebridge.org/research/factsGGBDesign.php

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
So many fun things in SF! It's been nearly 10 years since I was there with DH on our first trip together, but the things I loved were:

Golden Gate Park--the Japanese Tea Garden specifically
the Asian Art Museum and SF MOMA
walking through Chinatown and getting sushi and noodles there for really cheap--everything was delicious, all the fish was fresh :cheeky:
we toured the main public library, since I'm a librarian--I loved it there
walking around the Palace of Fine Arts and seeing the houses in the Marina district :love:
cable car ride anywhere :)

We honestly didn't do a lot of shopping or time in the main tourist areas (didn't do Ghiradelli, didn't see the sea lions, and only walked Market Street area once... it was honestly kind of sad with lots of homeless people when we were there), but we are not huge shoppers and prefer being off the beaten path a bit. Just be prepared for lots of walking up and down hills, and the evenings will likely be cool so windbreaker or other layering type jackets would be good.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1437678270|3906622 said:

Thank you for that correction. I guess the 3.6 was there and back. Much more doable. And a beautiful view of SF and the bay.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swingirl|1437706740|3906797 said:
amc80|1437678270|3906622 said:

Thank you for that correction. I guess the 3.6 was there and back. Much more doable. And a beautiful view of SF and the bay.

And walking into Sausalito takes about another mile I think. I am not sure. I run it, and some parts has no sidewalk. So just a heads up. Be ready to walk.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome breakfast, expect a 1+ hr wait for a table. Line is out the door. I liked the crab omelet. http://www.mamas-sf.com/menu.html

If you like prime rib, this is an "experience" - House Of Prime Rib. You'll have to google it. It needs flash so my iPad can't pull it up.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

Sunset catamaran cruise booked! This looks soooooo romantic, great reviews too!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1437491942|3905640 said:
amc80|1437487117|3905616 said:
ponder said:

If u plan to go out at night, have a thick sweatshirt or those stuffable down jackets. The temp can drop by 15-20 degrees at night. That is just SF. have pants and shorts. Day to day the weather can vary significantly.

Mark Twain said the coldest winter he ever spent was summer in San Francisco!

If you need Abuse or an Argument a la Monty Python, get a drink and dinner at The Tadich Grill. I go cocktail lounge hopping in the City at spots with live music---FAB. Second LLJs Sausolito lunch recommendation and also the catamaran around the Bay.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results