shape
carat
color
clarity

They get along like oil and water

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Long story, but I''m trying to think of a different analogy along the same lines as 2 people mixing like oil and water. I know there are a few other common sayings to that affect. do you know some?

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
The only one that comes to mind is like chalk and cheese. I cannot explain that one, sorry. Its just one I know!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2010 3:28:08 PM
Author: susimoo
The only one that comes to mind is like chalk and cheese. I cannot explain that one, sorry. Its just one I know!
Hmmm.......
33.gif
I''m scratching my head on that one! lol!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
It is a very common saying in the UK. I am off to google it. I will be back. To quote Arnie!
9.gif

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
[Q] From Jeremy Redgrove in Australia: Do you know the origin of the expression chalk and cheese? I heard that it came from two neighbouring counties (I think Devon and Dorset) and their contrasting products of chalk and cheese.
[A] As different as chalk and cheese is an old proverbial phrase to suggest that two things, superficially alike, are totally different in their qualities. There’s nothing in its history to suggest these two counties had anything to do with it — it sounds like yet another folk etymology to me.
The earliest example — from John Gower’s Confessio Amantis of 1393 — suggests that some shopkeeper was making an illicit profit by adulterating his wares: “And thus ful ofte chalk for cheese he changeth with ful littel cost”. The buyer was surely undiscerning; though some British cheeses are rather chalk-like in appearance, substituting more than a tiny proportion of cheese with chalk wouldn’t fool anybody for very long.
By the sixteenth century, the phrase had become a fixed expression. Hugh Latimer wrote rather sarcastically around 1555: “As though I could not discern cheese from chalk.”

Hope that helps! LOL

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Susimoo- thanks for the history lesson!
1.gif

rq - laxatives and sleeping pills?! hahahaha!!!!! good one!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry about the fact i had no clue. Its a phrase I use regularly but didn''t know the background. I''ll try and think of some more, but it seems like I may be on the wrong track. Feel free to correct me if I am!!
9.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I love the expression chalk and cheese.. makes me have an immediate "yum" reaction in my mouth for the cheese, and "blech" reaction for the chalk.. I guess that''s the point! :)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2010 3:01:55 PM
Author:joflier
Long story, but I''m trying to think of a different analogy along the same lines as 2 people mixing like oil and water. I know there are a few other common sayings to that affect. do you know some?

Not sure if you only want sayings that include 2 non-comparable things, but a couple that come to mind:

1) They rub each other the wrong way
2) Fight like cats and dogs

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
spit on a hot stove

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
fire and water

fire and gasoline

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I heard one once... something like, they are like a fish trying to marry a bird? I don''t know
3.gif

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2010 3:51:55 PM
Author: Karl_K
spit on a hot stove
I like that one, Karl, lol!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2010 7:51:23 PM
Author: HVVS

spit on a hot stove
it sounds better in German.
It was originally "spit on a hot rock" then was changed to stove in the days of the coal/wood stove then translated to English.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2010 9:04:37 PM
Date: 4/18/2010 7:51:23 PM

Author: HVVS

spit on a hot stove

it sounds better in German.

It was originally ''spit on a hot rock'' then was changed to stove in the days of the coal/wood stove then translated to English.
babblefish says:
Spucken auf einem heißen Ofen
But the last part is not how they say it...
SPUCKen said like a swear word is right however lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results