shape
carat
color
clarity

The story of the Roseate Pearl

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
100 years ago, in 1912, my great aunt boarded a ship called the Koombana to travel to the north coast of Western Australia with her new employer, a wealthy woman who owned cattle stations in the north west, and the woman's grandson.

As they left Port Hedland after a stop there, they ran into a major cyclone and the ship was never seen again. The wreckage has never been located in spite of thorough searches. It is not even know exactly where the ship went down as they presume she tried to escape the storm and probably went off course.

Now the odd part of the tale is this (from the book, Coast to Coast: The Great Australian Coastal Liners):
A legend subsequently grew blaming the loss of the Koombana on a supposedly cursed pearl that a passenger on board the lost ship was carrying. Known as the Roseate Pearl, it was a particularly large and beautiful specimen, which had been found by a white pearler, but stolen from him by another pearl diver. The pearl was stolen from him by 2 Chinese underworld figures who were later hanged for an unrelated murder.
The pearl was then purchased by a man who died of a heart attack, while the next owner committed suicide after the pearl was stolen from him. In 1905 a man who traded in stolen pearls was murdered at Broome when negotiating to purchase the Roseate Pearl, and over the next few years violence and death stalked anyone associated with the pearl.
A former pearl diver Abraham De Vohl Davis, who had become very wealthy and owned a sheep station near Port Hedland had purchased the Roseate Pearl (my note - for a reported £20,000). He boarded the Koombana for the voyage to Broome reportedly carrying the Roseate Pearl with him, and the legend claims that is why the ship sank.
Despite all this, there is no certainty that the Roseate Pearl really existed, but there were many murders and much violence connected with the pearl trade in that era.

Australians will know the name Mickleberg - one of the brothers convicted and then cleared of the gold heist, had developed some form of equipment to track the ocean floor from a light plane with the express purpose of locating the Koombana. On his first test flight, the plane crashed and he was killed.

The ship was very luxurious and was for ferrying wealthy people up and down the WA coast. There was apparently a fortune in jewels on board, in addition to the pearl, held in 2 safes (the captains and the pursers).

A ex crim has stated he at one time found the wreck whilst diving and raised one of the safes. He said he reported it to the authorities but they didn't believe him, so he kept the goodies.

The sad part is my great aunt wrote a post card just before she set sail, saying "I am sorry but I am going by the "Koombana" on Tuesday. I don't want to go but I must. I have engaged myself for 12 months. I would have liked to have come and said goodbye but it is impossible. I feel very much troubled. You will say goodbye for me to all friends. Goodbye from Flo"

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow! what a story.....it would make a great book and movie. i likeyour writing style......

so many ship wrecks off the coast of Western AU. the maritime museum in fremantle is very interesting with that regard.

so very sorry for the loss of family that lead you to this story.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a neat story. It sounds like your gr-aunt had a premonition of some sort; a shame she was correct. Do people believe the guy who said he brought up a safe? interesting tale.

P.S. I love your avatar! Pretty kitty with personality!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
That was truly fascinating. Thank you so much. I hope you'll stick around.

So sorry for your family's loss.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Movie Zombie, there is a book being written about the mystery ship actually! It was hoped to be finished by the 100 anniversary in March, but it has been delayed until later in the year. At one time, the lady writing it thought she may have to self publish, but it has been picked up by a well known publisher, hence the delay. At least it will have good representation.

I have been in touch with her and given her information that I had, most of my info now is from her research.

StacylikesSparkles, thank you. Reading the newspaper "in Memoriam" notices are heart breaking. Thank God for the internet! None of this would have been available without it.

JewelFreak yes it does seem she had a premonition. The lady writing the book said there are a couple of letters written from the ship that are similar. Spooky, really. The author of the book has been in touch with this man (the ex crim). He is well known for fancy stories, that is his problem. But he did dive for pearls, so who knows? He says he found the wreck by accident, and as they had no means of getting the safe up with the boat they had, they went back to port and hired a boat with a winch. He says he contacted the owners of the ship as it was their property, and they said they were not interested, said it had all been covered by insurance. He says he used an oxy torch or something to open the safe. He says he knows where the safe is now (empty), apparently on the back porch of a house in Broome. The author went to the area but she said it was certainly not a safe area to go knocking on a door to ask to see the back porch.

She asked him where abouts on the ship he had found the safe as it was lying on the ocean floor and she says it does match with where one of the safes would have been (captain or purser cabin). Maybe when the book comes out, there may be more info on it!

Imdanny thanks danny! I am glad you enjoyed it. I must admit I find the whole thing incredible. I am not sure if I want them to find the wreck now or not. I would love a memento from it, but I also feel it maybe should be left in peace. Would the people who went down with the ship prefer to be buried properly or would they prefer to remain where they have been for 100 years?

There are 100th anniversary ceremonies coming up, with a display at the museum at Port Hedland and the laying of a wreath at the Koombana Lookout. Unfortunately Port Hedland is a long way from Perth and flights are ridiculous. But we are hoping to get to it.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Fascinating story GlamMosher...thanks for posting it but so sad to have that poignant postcard from your great aunt.

Ivymantled

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am very late to this conversation, but the book has been published and it is great.

'Koombana Days' by Annie Boyd.

It's available online and in selected book stores in Australia, such as the one at the Geraldton Museum.

The last chapter concerns the events and history surrounding the Roseate Pearl, but lovers of history will enjoy the entire book because it reveals so much about the history and characters of a very remote part of the world.

The Western Australian coastline is the second most shipwrecked location on earth, and there are other treasures that have been lost there, including 250,000 silver coins on the Dutch East Indiaman Zuytdorp.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ivymantled,
Thanks for post. I also have the book, in fact I bought a few and took some to the UK for relatives there! I went to the book launch in Fremantle a few years ago.

Did you have someone on the ship?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The book is also available on Amazon, including a Kindle edition :)) Excuse me, please. The tea has brewed and the Kindle is calling.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating. Barring the curse, I'm sure its only a matter of time before the ship is found and salvaged. What a story. I can imagine how one would be filled with trepidation to travel by ship in those days in such rough terrain. Scary.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
I didn't know it was on Kindle! Wow, that will be good for the author. I am sure there will be more money made that way.

I must get in touch with Annie Boyd again, and ask if further exploration for the wreck has been done. Last we spoke, all the companies that were going to donate time were taken up with looking for MH370.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results