Votes: 4 9.1%
  • No, and I'm American.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • No, and I'm not American.

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I never knew there was a name for the comma before "and" in a list of three. I always put it there and it looks wrong with it missing.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/elitist-superfluous-or-popular-we-polled-americans-on-the-oxford-comma/

We asked respondents which sentence was, in their opinion, more grammatically correct: “It’s important for a person to be honest, kind and loyal.” Or: “It’s important for a person to be honest, kind, and loyal.” The latter has an Oxford comma, the former none.

The result was pretty much down the middle, with pro-Oxford partisans commanding 57 percent of the vote and opponents to the tyranny of the extra comma grabbing 43 percent. Although those numbers might be enough to defeat Eric Cantor, it’s hardly a clear victory for the Oxfordians.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew there were 2 ways of doing it, but I didn't use the Oxford comma till about 3 years ago when I learned it had a name.
Now I like to use it, though I have no rational reason for doing so.

I'm American.
I didn't vote because my natural writing of 50+ years did not use it, but now I do.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I learned the Oxford comma and diagramming sentences in Elementary school. I only use one now.

oxford_comma.jpg

oxford_comma_2.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was initially taught to put the comma before "and" but then in high school the instruction changed. So now I don't use it but always want to.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparklelu|1403111931|3695819 said:
I learned the Oxford comma and diagramming sentences in Elementary school. I only use one now.

Those are great, Sparklelu!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I was taught to use the Oxford comma in school, and I guess it just makes sense to me. :bigsmile:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1403112012|3695821 said:
I was initially taught to put the comma before "and" but then in high school the instruction changed. So now I don't use it but always want to.

Get empowered, bm -- use that Oxford comma!! ;)) :bigsmile: :lol: :lol:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Always. I've even converted a few non-Oxford users (it is not taught in Australian schools).

_19277.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1403111129|3695807 said:
I never knew there was a name for the comma before "and" in a list of three. I always put it there and it looks wrong with it missing.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/elitist-superfluous-or-popular-we-polled-americans-on-the-oxford-comma/

We asked respondents which sentence was, in their opinion, more grammatically correct: “It’s important for a person to be honest, kind and loyal.” Or: “It’s important for a person to be honest, kind, and loyal.” The latter has an Oxford comma, the former none.

The result was pretty much down the middle, with pro-Oxford partisans commanding 57 percent of the vote and opponents to the tyranny of the extra comma grabbing 43 percent. Although those numbers might be enough to defeat Eric Cantor, it’s hardly a clear victory for the Oxfordians.

It appears to be new to you as a term; I know that the Oxford comma as a punctuation mark is not. Nothing seems to be new to Pricescope, however. Here is a previous thread about about the Oxford comma (started by kenny, by the way).

The Other Oxford Comma Thread...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-oxford-comma.165797/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-oxford-comma.165797/page-2[/URL]

Deb/AGBF
Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
:saint:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was taught in grammar school many years ago (yes, that's what we called it, not elementary school lol) to use the Oxford comma - a sentence without it looks very wrong to my eye! I never knew there was a name for it, or that it was permissible to leave it out ha.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1403115842|3695853 said:
Always. I've even converted a few non-Oxford users (it is not taught in Australian schools).

OMG, I'm dying!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not usually put a coma before "and", however, if anyone criticises my English, be it spelling, grammar etc. in writing and in conservations, then I would smile sweetly and say, sorry, however, English is NOT my first language, and I am learning all the time.

DK :D

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1403115842|3695853 said:

Lol. I will definitely be seeing this image in my mind next time someone doesn't use an Oxford Comma (possibly me).

amc80

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1403118420|3695884 said:
amc80|1403111129|3695807 said:

It appears to be new to you as a term; I know that the Oxford comma as a punctuation mark is not. Nothing seems to be new to Pricescope, however. Here is a previous thread about about the Oxford comma (started by kenny, by the way).

The Other Oxford Comma Thread...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-oxford-comma.165797/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-oxford-comma.165797/page-2[/URL]

Deb/AGBF
Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
:saint:

Wow, two threads on a comma...we are an exciting bunch! And you are right, the Oxford Comma itself is not new to me; I've been using it since 3rd grade or so.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Funny that you posted this - I have used the Oxford comma all my life, up until very recently. I saw a sentence without it (from a reputable source) and it led me to believe that I had been doing it incorrectly all these years. It never even occurred to me that there are two ways of doing it. Now that I know, I'm going back to using it because my sentences just don't look right without it.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and to answer the original question, I don't put the comma in before "and". I had a grade school teacher tell me it was incorrect so I stopped at that point. :think:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always use it. This is the way I was taught in grade school. I never knew it had a name until just now. Nice to know!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results