shape
carat
color
clarity

The opposite of shrinkage, or, how high before you don't ...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
... upgrade?

I haven't been wearing my e-ring for the last couple of weeks (swollen hands), and I have been gearing up to plot my upgrade, and I think I somehow managed to engineer reverse-shrinkage. (Reverse-engineer shrinkage? Thankfully not.) A slight drop in humidity let me squeeze the little sucker back on my finger this morning, and ... it's not so little! Which is, a), a relief, and, b) got me thinking about where to draw the line.

I'm still interested in getting a bigger stone (they're pretty), but part of me is sort of like ... so, how high do prices have to go before this doesn't make sense anymore? If what I think of as a generous budget intersects with rising diamond prices to the point that I can only go, say, half a mm. higher, I'm not sure if it will be worth it to me. How about you guys? Where will you draw the line (if at all)?

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re: The opposite of shrinkage, or, how high before you don't

I think it was Mara who once said that the line would be drawn when she could no longer raise her left hand... :bigsmile:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

Girl, nothing about diamonds makes any sense!

So I don't even try.

If I get a windfall, I buy a sparkly.

I don't really save up for them because there is no diamond I love that much.

They give me pleasure, but once I got my wedding rings, studs and pendant the pleasure:carat ratio has gone down for me.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm right there with you. I love my e-ring but of course would love an even bigger diamond. I've looked into it once or twice, and even before the prices shot up it just didn't seem worth it to spend more $ to get a ring that was really not that much bigger. Part of the "problem" :cheeky: for me is that I do love my e-ring, so it's even harder to justify spending money for another ring I may not love as much, or love enough to justify giving up my original e-ring.

I think your situation is a bit different because you're keeping your original e-ring, correct? If I upgraded I would most likely trade in my diamond towards another one. But with prices being as high as they are, sometimes I think I should just keep my original e-ring and shell out for another one, since my diamond won't get me that much money off of a new one. Or at least that's what I tell my husband! :devil:

For now I'm into eternity bands and figuring out exactly what I want and getting quotes is keeping me occupied!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

I would get a big AND gorgeous colored stone. I cured my shrinkage syndrome in this relatively inexpensive way. My bezeled 10ct cushion tourmaline looks huge on my finger. I cannot wear anything bigger than that. :D

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I never thought I'd say this, but . . .

I think my current stone is my forever stone. I love the size, but what I love more is the character of the stone. I didn't think I could feel this way when I had my original stone, but this one is just . . . special. I can't explain it. She looks different in every new environment. Sometimes she looks really warm and flashes a lot of color. Other times she looks icy blue and crystalline. I haven't cleaned her in nearly two months (I know, bad PSer) and she still looks like a little fireball, so you gotta love that.

I cannot imagine loving another stone as much as I love this one. Larger or not. Perhaps if OMBs just like mine were easier to find, I'd be singing a different tune. But, (and this is how you know I'm in love,) I've really never seen another antique-style cushion that I love as much as my own. So, this is probably it for me.

I think it helps that I'm in love with the setting, too. The combo is my absolute ideal, and I could not be happier.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Jennifer W|1313768098|2994283 said:
I think it was Mara who once said that the line would be drawn when she could no longer raise her left hand... :bigsmile:

Heheheh - see, I am down with this philosophy, but I don't know if my wallet is! Once we're in the 1970s territory of the 20K 1ct, I think I'm officially out.

rosetta said:
Girl, nothing about diamonds makes any sense!

So I don't even try.

If I get a windfall, I buy a sparkly.

I don't really save up for them because there is no diamond I love that much.

They give me pleasure, but once I got my wedding rings, studs and pendant the pleasure:carat ratio has gone down for me.

I know what you mean, I think: now that I've checked off most of my list of "must-haves," I don't feel quite the same urgency for the things that are left. I still WANT the great big door-knob solitaire ... but I don't know if I want it as much as, say, a pony. When the ring costs as much as the pony plus stabling ... oy!

thing2of2 said:
I'm right there with you. I love my e-ring but of course would love an even bigger diamond. I've looked into it once or twice, and even before the prices shot up it just didn't seem worth it to spend more $ to get a ring that was really not that much bigger. Part of the "problem" :cheeky: for me is that I do love my e-ring, so it's even harder to justify spending money for another ring I may not love as much, or love enough to justify giving up my original e-ring.

I think your situation is a bit different because you're keeping your original e-ring, correct? If I upgraded I would most likely trade in my diamond towards another one. But with prices being as high as they are, sometimes I think I should just keep my original e-ring and shell out for another one, since my diamond won't get me that much money off of a new one. Or at least that's what I tell my husband! :devil:

For now I'm into eternity bands and figuring out exactly what I want and getting quotes is keeping me occupied!

I would totally keep the original - at one point, my husband posed the hypothetical question, would I trade it in for a 5-carat. Answer: nope! I am a total sap.

Eternity bands really are a delightful addiction/distraction. They give you the impressive bling feeling while still allowing for a little variety ....

Cookie said:
I would get a big AND gorgeous colored stone. I cured my shrinkage syndrome in this relatively inexpensive way. My bezeled 10ct cushion tourmaline looks huge on my finger. I cannot wear anything bigger than that. :D

Heheheh - I like the way you think! I actually adore colored stones, and DO need to get on setting some of mine ... though, again, with metal prices as insane as they have been these last few days .... (gold at $1880 an ounce today, are you kidding me).

Haven said:

I think my current stone is my forever stone. I love the size, but what I love more is the character of the stone. I didn't think I could feel this way when I had my original stone, but this one is just . . . special. I can't explain it. She looks different in every new environment. Sometimes she looks really warm and flashes a lot of color. Other times she looks icy blue and crystalline. I haven't cleaned her in nearly two months (I know, bad PSer) and she still looks like a little fireball, so you gotta love that.

I cannot imagine loving another stone as much as I love this one. Larger or not. Perhaps if OMBs just like mine were easier to find, I'd be singing a different tune. But, (and this is how you know I'm in love,) I've really never seen another antique-style cushion that I love as much as my own. So, this is probably it for me.

I think it helps that I'm in love with the setting, too. The combo is my absolute ideal, and I could not be happier.

Your ring is a STUNNAH. I love my original, too - this isn't an in-lieu-of (I may be using "upgrade" wrong), but more of an in-addition-to which I'd probably wear on my right hand. I guess the parallel question would be - if you DID find another OMB or OEC or antique marquise or something with as much personality as your current stone, but bigger, would you be even a little tempted at today's prices, or have they already swooped into the sunset by your personal yardstick? Totally a money question. Didn't we used to have an emoticon with dollar-sign eyes? Ah, there he is .... :$$):

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

Haven|1313769769|2994296 said:

So I shouldn't hold my breath anymore waiting for you to trade that gorgeous baby in?! ;(
Haha...I wouldn't let that one go either, Haven, it's perfection!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Jennifer W|1313768098|2994283 said:

hahahaha!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

thing2of2|1313768438|2994287 said:

Totally agree- it's hard to think about spending that kind of money on something you will not love more than you ERing- and the thought of giving up my original for an okay amount towards a trade-in is just not appealing.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ohhhhhh, now I get it. Sorry, Circe, I completely misread your OP.

Hmmm . . . IF I found another OMB that I loved as much as my own, but it was bigger, would I buy it? That is a tough question.
IF I had the money for it, then I would be tempted to buy it. As far as money goes, I see it as only having value when I can transform it into things that enrich my life. SO, I don't worry too much about the cost of things if I can afford them, and if I believe they will enrich my life. So, the rising prices wouldn't factor into my decision if I could afford the stone and if I thought I would enjoy it more than my current stone. It is what it is, after all. (The price, that is.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results