shape
carat
color
clarity

The official Mid-Atlantic Blizzard thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I know we have a good number of Baltimore, Washington, Philly people here.

Many schools didn''t even open today... and a flake hasn''t fallen yet. I think Virginia declared a state of emergency a day and a half ago... and a flake hasn''t fallen yet. I just got a message that we must leave by 12:30... and a single flake hasn''t fallen yet.

I''m hearing words like "epic" a lot. This is going to be CraZY! My forecast is currently for 20 - 28 inches of white gold!
9.gif

Of course, like the Dec 19 storm, this is coming on a Friday so I''m on duty at the fire department.
23.gif
Hope people just stay inside!

Between the Superbowl and the proposed epic snow, I''ve never seen the shelves at my grocery store so barren!

Stay safe everybody and post your snow pictures here!

Treefrog

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 10:18:41 AM
Author:treefrog
I know we have a good number of Baltimore, Washington, Philly people here.

Many schools didn''t even open today... and a flake hasn''t fallen yet. I think Virginia declared a state of emergency a day and a half ago... and a flake hasn''t fallen yet. I just got a message that we must leave by 12:30... and a single flake hasn''t fallen yet.

I''m hearing words like ''epic'' a lot. This is going to be CraZY! My forecast is currently for 20 - 28 inches of white gold!
9.gif

Of course, like the Dec 19 storm, this is coming on a Friday so I''m on duty at the fire department.
23.gif
Hope people just stay inside!

Between the Superbowl and the proposed epic snow, I''ve never seen the shelves at my grocery store so barren!

Stay safe everybody and post your snow pictures here!

Treefrog
I hope everyone stays safe!!!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
The Federal Government has authorized employees in the DC Metro Area to leave 4 hours early.

You best believe I''ll be taking advantage!!!
9.gif

There was a 2-hour checkout line at the grocery store last night...

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I used to live on the east coast, and my old company already announced that they are closing at 1PM today. (lived in northern WV)

To all the east-coasters, please be careful this weekend, and take LOTS of snowy pictures!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
What is the range of this storm? I keep hearing stuff about the mid-atlantic but can''t figure out if it''s going to be bad a bit further north (in NYC and CT).

I have to say I''m surprised at how much snow we''ve had this year and especially how much has fallen in the mid-atlantic region. I can''t remember a year like this recently.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 10:27:02 AM
Author: vc10um
The Federal Government has authorized employees in the DC Metro Area to leave 4 hours early.

You best believe I''ll be taking advantage!!!
9.gif

There was a 2-hour checkout line at the grocery store last night...
I''m not government but I saw the same thing -- some government people work with me. I''m forced to leave at 12:30 and the rest comes out of my vacation time. :(

2 hours in line at the grocery store - wow! I haven''t been able to get near a gas station yet.

Stay safe!

Treefrog

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
8-12 inches predicted for Philly. Stay safe everyone. I am off to go grocery shopping!!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Last I heard, NYC was suppose to get all of 2 inches.
20.gif

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lorelei!

BeachRunner - you can pretty much count on me for pictures!

elrohwen - the storm isn''t really going North of PA... it''s supposed to go out to sea over DE/NJ. I think so many people are on the internet at work right now, my pricescope keeps crashing and I can''t attach a picture. I''ll have to post a link to a good graphic I found:
Yikes!!!

Keleigh - good luck - I hope you do better than 2 hours!

Treefrog

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I live in Wisconsin, (but used to live in CT and saw plenty of snow) and I am always baffled by how people EVERYWHERE freak out when there's a snowstorm coming! (Not in terms of road safety, but with the grocery store thing.)

Last time I checked, unless you live in an incredibly, INCREDIBLY rural area, you'll probably be able to get out of your house in a day or two. Don't most people have 2 days worth of food in their homes? I think I could eat for close to two months on what I've got in the house... and at least two to three weeks out of the pantry if the power were out long enough for all my food to spoil! (And there's plenty of frozen white stuff outside to keep most of it cool!)

So what's the deal? I hope I'm not coming off as insensitive or something, lord knows I see TONS of snow here in the upper Midwest, I'm just honestly always confused!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erm, I''m in southern Indiana and schools in Monroe County were closed this morning in anticipation of some alleged ice and snow.
20.gif
I was up there last evening and attempted to stop at the grocery store but the parking lot was PACKED. Granted, we do not have great snow removal here, but REALLY? My 4wd and snowboots get me around just fine. I don''t think I will starve being in walking distance of convenient stores.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 11:11:00 AM
Author: KatyWI
Okay, I live in Wisconsin, (but used to live in CT and saw plenty of snow) and I am always baffled by how people EVERYWHERE freak out when there''s a snowstorm coming! (Not in terms of road safety, but with the grocery store thing.)

Last time I checked, unless you live in an incredibly, INCREDIBLY rural area, you''ll probably be able to get out of your house in a day or two. Don''t most people have 2 days worth of food in their homes? I think I could eat for close to two months on what I''ve got in the house... and at least two to three weeks out of the pantry if the power were out long enough for all my food to spoil! (And there''s plenty of frozen white stuff outside to keep most of it cool!)

So what''s the deal? I hope I''m not coming off as insensitive or something, lord knows I see TONS of snow here in the upper Midwest, I''m just honestly always confused!
I never understood it either.

I attributed some of the congestion to people who now realize they need to do their Super Bowl Sunday shopping NOW instead of on Saturday.

Also, Virginia does not plow your road unless a city bus travels down it. So even if you live in a neighborhood, you may be stuck for a good long while if you''re not shoveling yourself and your street out incrementally. After the last big snowstorm here in December there were still 3-4" thick sheets of packed snow and ice on sidestreets for a good 2 weeks after the fact because of this.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re not expected to get anything in Boston. In fact, the forecast is for sunny weather! Good luck to everyone in the Mid-Atlantic region, stay warm and stay safe!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I live in Wisconsin, (but used to live in CT and saw plenty of snow) and I am always baffled by how people EVERYWHERE freak out when there''s a snowstorm coming! (Not in terms of road safety, but with the grocery store thing.)

Last time I checked, unless you live in an incredibly, INCREDIBLY rural area, you''ll probably be able to get out of your house in a day or two. Don''t most people have 2 days worth of food in their homes? I think I could eat for close to two months on what I''ve got in the house... and at least two to three weeks out of the pantry if the power were out long enough for all my food to spoil! (And there''s plenty of frozen white stuff outside to keep most of it cool!)

So what''s the deal? I hope I''m not coming off as insensitive or something, lord knows I see TONS of snow here in the upper Midwest, I''m just honestly always confused!
I don''t have an answer for you. I wonder the same thing. I seldom go to the grocery store in advance of a storm. I''m pretty sure I could survive several weeks with what I have. I confess to going to the grocery store last night though. My neighbors are having a Superbowl party and I wanted to get some snack ingredients yesterday, because I suspect few places will be open tomorrow.

Thinking about it, maybe a lot of people can''t/don''t cook and typically eat out. Maybe they need to get groceries???

Treefrog

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 11:09:22 AM
Author: treefrog
Thanks Lorelei!

elrohwen - the storm isn''t really going North of PA... it''s supposed to go out to sea over DE/NJ. I think so many people are on the internet at work right now, my pricescope keeps crashing and I can''t attach a picture. I''ll have to post a link to a good graphic I found:
Yikes!!!

Treefrog
Thanks!
35.gif
I love pictures of the snow!

I''ve been having issues with PS as well; think its a technical thing.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 11:51:37 AM
Author: BeachRunner

Date: 2/5/2010 11:09:22 AM
Author: treefrog
Thanks Lorelei!

Yikes!!!

Treefrog
Thanks!
35.gif
I love pictures of the snow!

I''ve been having issues with PS as well; think its a technical thing.
Me too, I would love some photos!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Looks like it JUST started snowing in Baltimore! Thankfully I don''t have to work this weekend. The last big storm made for a crazy weekend at the hospital, from what I heard.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Kind of like when states like Texas get an inch of snow and the whole town shuts down. It''s snow. Not acid rain.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Here, in the Shenandoah Valley in VA., we are in the thick of it!!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
We''re supposed to get hit hard in the NY/NJ area as well. I''m skeptical though...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock

I totally know where you''re coming from - I don''t know why people freak out so much, especially in areas known to get a lot of snow. I get it more in ares that aren''t equipped to handle the snow (like DC) where it would affect day to day life. I grew up in Pittsburgh and you couldn''t find bread and milk at the store the night before a snowstorm. It always made me laugh.

And I must say I do actually get why people freak out in CT. I used to think they were crazy, until I learned that they refuse to salt the roads here (except for major highways). I have a little car without 4 wheel drive, and I can say from experience that it doesn''t deal well when there are a few inches of snow on the roads and no salt to melt it. It really makes things dangerous!

Good luck to everybody in the mid-atlantic. Stay safe.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
It is snowing in the DC Metro area! It''s not sticking on the pavement yet, but it''s creating an awful slush...which is gonna become awful ice once it starts to freeze!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
We live in Fairfax Co., VA, and I did my grocery shopping on Wed., when the stores were still stocked. I went out to get a box of brownie mix last night, and couldn''t believe the mob scene at the supermarket. There was not a single loaf of bread left in the store, and people were about to riot
emsad.gif

This morning my 3 year old son and I went on a quest to find him a sled. I wish I had thought of THAT earlier this week. We went to 5 stores, and called 8 more, and no one had any sleds left. Bed Bath & Beyond told me that they had sold that last one yesterday - drats! I did get DS a new toy at Walmart, so that he got something. He is so sad that he didn''t get a sled. I think that we can just push him around on the lid of a rubbermaid storage container - he''s not so much for the downhill anyway
emsmilep.gif
It was so stupid though that in all of the seasonal toy aisles at Target, Kmart, etc., they had pool floats and beach toys. I was like, hello, it''s only February. Maybe you should still stock some snow toys, since it won''t be beach weather here for at least 3 more months?

We tried to kill some time out of the house today, since I know DS is going to go snow crazy inside, so we had a long lunch at the Chick-Fil-A play area before we get snowed in. If we lose power I think I''m going to go crazy.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 2:51:42 PM
Author: vespergirl
We live in Fairfax Co., VA, and I did my grocery shopping on Wed., when the stores were still stocked. I went out to get a box of brownie mix last night, and couldn''t believe the mob scene at the supermarket. There was not a single loaf of bread left in the store, and people were about to riot
emsad.gif

This morning my 3 year old son and I went on a quest to find him a sled. I wish I had thought of THAT earlier this week. We went to 5 stores, and called 8 more, and no one had any sleds left. Bed Bath & Beyond told me that they had sold that last one yesterday - drats! I did get DS a new toy at Walmart, so that he got something. He is so sad that he didn''t get a sled. I think that we can just push him around on the lid of a rubbermaid storage container - he''s not so much for the downhill anyway
emsmilep.gif
It was so stupid though that in all of the seasonal toy aisles at Target, Kmart, etc., they had pool floats and beach toys. I was like, hello, it''s only February. Maybe you should still stock some snow toys, since it won''t be beach weather here for at least 3 more months?

We tried to kill some time out of the house today, since I know DS is going to go snow crazy inside, so we had a long lunch at the Chick-Fil-A play area before we get snowed in. If we lose power I think I''m going to go crazy.

Vesper, you can also use a metal cookie sheet or the top of a trash can to sled with. rub the bottom with bar soap and away he goes!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
All I can say is..I am sooooo tired of snow. Seriously. My childhood record snow was beat last week, and now it''s coming again. Really?
6.gif
Two weeks in a row? Sorry to be griping, but I am growing to dislike snow..
14.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m in southcentral PA, very close to the Mason-Dixon Line. I''m only about 10 minutes away from Hagerstown, MD. Here is what the local paper has to say. Note the graphic included with that article . . . we''re in the "excessive" region.
14.gif

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I am in Southern Maryland and we have been getting snow for the last few hours....its all slushy on the bottom and fluffy on the top when I shovel....I will be shoveling off and on all night to stay ahead of this storm....those of you on my FB list I will upload mobile pics often....

Should be a fun weekend.....

I did to go the store the other day and again on my way home from work and its all a MAD house....empty shelves galore.....

should be FUN!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Hahahaha, I moved from Virginia to Boston, MA 5 months ago. All my friends are flipping out about the snow but there isn't a flake on the ground here
9.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Dang! I live in Michigan, and we haven''t had ONE snow day all year!!! It seems like the storms have been staying far south of us. Too bad for all of you who are in the path of this one, it looks like a doozy! Stay safe!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results