shape
carat
color
clarity

The New iPhone 5S and 5C!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is anyone else excited about the new iPhones? I can't wait. I've been using the iPhone 4 for forever. The 5S comes in GOLD! And the battery life is supposed to be so much longer. But then the 5C has a red that looks almost salmon pinkish! :o :sun:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just watched the video of the "reveal"!! Yes, I'm pumped... but my plan doesn't let me upgrade for another year... rats... but when I *can*, its going to be so exciting! I love Apple products - probably a complete sucker for great marketing - but this is the only technology that I can actually figure out, so I'm sticking with them :bigsmile:

Are you going to go w the classic 5, 5S or try the 5C in the salmon/orange colour?? I like the blue one - and they have the backgrounds colour coordinated to the cases! Oh, they think of everything! :appl:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I haven't decided if I will let my 4S die completely before upgrading or if I will go ahead and get a new one as I am currently up for an upgrade. I do like the metallic ones but I also like the blue!!! Although I'm not sure it'll matter much as I would feel like I would have it in a case most if not all the time. Other reason I am debating is because I'm thinking of buying an iPad either for DBF for our anniversary, his birthday, or Christmas this year (which are all coming up). Well that might be a joint gift that we would both enjoy so that's how that factors in haha.

What about you, are you going to get it right when it comes out?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1378847467|3518140 said:
Is anyone else excited about the new iPhones?

Not me.

My old $19.95 dumbphone still works just fine, even after all these years.
It even has a calculator in it. :appl:
My $16 a month prepaid plan is fantastic.

Not having a ton of money vanish every month leaves me more money for food, paying down the mortgage early, or Fancy Colored Diamonds. ;-)

But, people vary. :wavey: :lol:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES!!!!! our upgrades are in January. Then we'll give the kids our old 4S's..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We got the 5's when they came out last fall, so it'll be next fall when we get new ones. Hopefully it'll be iPhone 6 by then. As someone else said, I use a case so the color is irrelevant to me, but I am going to go look at what the improvements are!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I still have the iPhone 4. I'll be buying one of these new ones, unlocked, when I'm back in the States visiting over Christmas -- and then get a prepaid SIM from an Australian provider.

Know how much they're going to cost down here? Apparently they START AT $679. Versus $99 in the States. :nono:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
If I were still going to be in the US in a few months, I would be very excited! Unfortunately, I do not want to spend the money on the upgrade when we will be moving so soon after. Maybe I will get one when I get to Korea, depending on the price. We will see!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I cannot WAIT for the 5S. I am getting the black, and I am like climbing the walls. I held out forever waiting for this new one.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband is getting the 5S when he's eligible for the upgrade in six months. I upgraded to the 4S a year ago so I still have one more year until I can upgrade and I'll probably upgrade to the 5S then (I'm happy with my 4S so not in a hurry). We're hoping the price of the 4S drops with the 5S release bc we're getting our older son an iphone in October, but if it doesn't he'll still just get the 4S since the camera is better (and this is his first phone and I don't want to spend more than $99). All of his friends are getting phones so texting will be a big deal and we might get the younger one then, too...I didn't intend to get them phones so young but I get so many calls from little kids and they don't leave messages...they just call OVER AND OVER if I don't pick up. The younger son will probably get just the iphone 4 since it's 99 cents on our plan.

I doubt any of them will opt for the pink one ;-)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1378922298|3518749 said:
My husband is getting the 5S when he's eligible for the upgrade in six months. I upgraded to the 4S a year ago so I still have one more year until I can upgrade and I'll probably upgrade to the 5S then (I'm happy with my 4S so not in a hurry). We're hoping the price of the 4S drops with the 5S release bc we're getting our older son an iphone in October, but if it doesn't he'll still just get the 4S since the camera is better (and this is his first phone and I don't want to spend more than $99). All of his friends are getting phones so texting will be a big deal and we might get the younger one then, too...I didn't intend to get them phones so young but I get so many calls from little kids and they don't leave messages...they just call OVER AND OVER if I don't pick up. The younger son will probably get just the iphone 4 since it's 99 cents on our plan.

The 4S will be free on contract when the 5S comes out. But it will be 8GB only. If you're willing to pay the $99, get the 16GB 5C. Itll be relevant and supported by Apple a lot longer.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1378925276|3518801 said:

The 4S will be free on contract when the 5S comes out. But it will be 8GB only. If you're willing to pay the $99, get the 16GB 5C. Itll be relevant and supported by Apple a lot longer.

It will be for a 13 year old boy... not sure if that matters...I don't know how many apps he'll want, yet. He's not into music much. But, that is good news that it will be free b/c we do plan to get a contract. We don't have a home phone and at age 13, he can be home alone so I like to know he can be contacted.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1378928596|3518843 said:

It will be for a 13 year old boy... not sure if that matters...I don't know how many apps he'll want, yet. He's not into music much. But, that is good news that it will be free b/c we do plan to get a contract. We don't have a home phone and at age 13, he can be home alone so I like to know he can be contacted.
I'd just rather not get the free one that will be obsolete in a year. Id pay the 100 and know it's good for a few and that he has the option for more music, apps, photos, movies, etc. than he will with the free model. But that's my logic. It's also slightly larger screensize and might be easier for him to work with, and not as much glass as the 4s, which might hold up better if he drops it even with a case.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
justginger|1378877828|3518470 said:
I still have the iPhone 4. I'll be buying one of these new ones, unlocked, when I'm back in the States visiting over Christmas -- and then get a prepaid SIM from an Australian provider.

Know how much they're going to cost down here? Apparently they START AT $679. Versus $99 in the States. :nono:

$99 is in the states for a 5C with a contract, I assume since you're an Aussie then you don't have a US contract? If so, you'll still be paying a hefty sum - 5C's start at $549!

On another note - I'd be really excited about "upgrading" but an upgrade for me means we'll lose our grandfathered unlimited data plan...so i'll hold out for now til i can afford to pay outright.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1378938382|3518946 said:

I'd just rather not get the free one that will be obsolete in a year. Id pay the 100 and know it's good for a few and that he has the option for more music, apps, photos, movies, etc. than he will with the free model. But that's my logic. It's also slightly larger screensize and might be easier for him to work with, and not as much glass as the 4s, which might hold up better if he drops it even with a case.

Okay, thanks, Ame. We'll look them over in person. It's his b-day present so I don't mind spending the $. I was going to get him an otter case but my DH said he saw someone walking around with an iPhone w/a cracked face inside an otter case & thinks they're a joke. Ugh.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They have a pink one?

screen_shot_2013-09-11_at_5.png

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1378947640|3519032 said:

They have a pink one?

more melon/salmon colored....but yes! along with yellow, green, blue, and white and the 5S comes in silver, space grey and gold

justginger

Ideal_Rock
lovebug1031|1378946573|3519021 said:
justginger|1378877828|3518470 said:

$99 is in the states for a 5C with a contract, I assume since you're an Aussie then you don't have a US contract? If so, you'll still be paying a hefty sum - 5C's start at $549!

On another note - I'd be really excited about "upgrading" but an upgrade for me means we'll lose our grandfathered unlimited data plan...so i'll hold out for now til i can afford to pay outright.

The Aussie price is with a contract here as well, so plan-free will be more. It sounds like I'll have to wait to see what the exact exchange rate is before deciding to buy. If the AUD slips too much, the savings is lost in the wash, so to speak.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1378946836|3519025 said:
ame|1378938382|3518946 said:

Okay, thanks, Ame. We'll look them over in person. It's his b-day present so I don't mind spending the $. I was going to get him an otter case but my DH said he saw someone walking around with an iPhone w/a cracked face inside an otter case & thinks they're a joke. Ugh.
Well the person might have put the otterbox on after dropping it, so don't totally rule it out. My brother broke his phone playing with it outside of a case and then put it in a case to protect it til he could get it fixed.

I personally use Speck Candyshells with a Zagg Invisible Shield Screen Protector usually. They're generally pretty protective and SO FAR I have yet to crack a phone, knock on wood. Now I also never throw my phone in my purse or pocket on it's own, I ALWAYS put it in a cloth pouch as well, so it's got the screen protector, speck case AND pouch.

makhro82

Shiny_Rock
I've never had an iPhone and I don't think I will ever make the switch.

Any of you ever had a Note and iPhone? Which do you prefer?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH is probably upgrading his 4s to the 5s. He travels quite a bit and will like having the LTE. I have the 5 and don't have an upgrade for 13 more months. Good thing I am perfectly happy with my iPhone 5.

I have dropped my iPhone and iPad several times and haven't had any problems.

I hope they come out with an iPad mini with retina soon. I will definitely get that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, Otterbox cases are fantastic! I rarely drop my phone, but that case has done it's job when I have! That person had to have hit their screen directly for it to break inside that case because the thickness of the case usually protects the screen. I wouldn't allow my child to have an iPhone without one (or myself, for that matter! :lol: ).

I read the reviews and from what I read, I'd wait on the 6. These don't sound all that impressive (plastic case???!!). I'd rather be on the cycle of the new model instead of the updates (S, C).

justginger

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1378996237|3519404 said:
Oh wow, Otterbox cases are fantastic! I rarely drop my phone, but that case has done it's job when I have! That person had to have hit their screen directly for it to break inside that case because the thickness of the case usually protects the screen. I wouldn't allow my child to have an iPhone without one (or myself, for that matter! :lol: ).

I read the reviews and from what I read, I'd wait on the 6. These don't sound all that impressive (plastic case???!!). I'd rather be on the cycle of the new model instead of the updates (S, C).

I have the Otterbox DEFENDER (I always say it like that, in a forceful voice, lol). It has saved my phone so many times! We have stairs at work that go down, have a landing, and then turn 180 degrees and go down again to the next floor. I've been about a third down the first flight, dropped my phone, had it bounce between the railings, fall down to the next flight of stairs, and bounce to the next floor without cracking. :o Worth every penny of the $45 I paid for it.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
You gals have talked me into it, I called up my Telstra business centre today and got on the waiting list for the 5S....
now all I've got to do is track down this 'otterbox' ... :ugeek:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
LaraOnline|1378997387|3519421 said:
You gals have talked me into it, I called up my Telstra business centre today and got on the waiting list for the 5S....
now all I've got to do is track down this 'otterbox' ... :ugeek:

Mine was off ebay, Lara - I couldn't find a shop that stocked it here. Just lots of rhinestone Hello Kitty atrocities... :errrr:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
And there I was thinking that on PS, we'd all be rocking rhinestones heheh

Can you stick your DEFENDER on a dock style charger?
Does it limit the way you use your phone, Ginger?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
makhro82|1378955683|3519164 said:
I've never had an iPhone and I don't think I will ever make the switch.

Any of you ever had a Note and iPhone? Which do you prefer?
I didn't own the Note, but I've owned two different Samsung models and I recently tried out a Galaxy and couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough. I don't like the size of those phablets which is a primary dealbreaker for me. They are HUGE. But my primary issues, still, with Android are that they don't update the OS enough, and new phones are the only ones with the newest versions, and I don't think it's a very stable OS. I had issues with crashes and battery life that I haven't ever experienced with any of my iPhones or even prior Androids I had owned. The data connections seemed to always be going, and even when I would turn it on airplane mode it was "looking" for something. I also don't like the insane quantity of scam and dangerous apps that go into that App Store without any testing or vetting in advance, and how many phones can get damaged in the span of time it takes Google to notice them.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
For those of you on AT&T and still under contract, I believe you can upgrade early for the new iPhone. Just do an upgrade checker. I bought my iPhone 5 a year ago and it says I can upgrade early (only for the new iPhone). This will start your 2 years over, so I am not sure if I will do it. Although I really want to!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results