shape
carat
color
clarity

The mothership is down?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Sooo...it appears the US government has shut down?

I guess I don't really know what that MEANS. It's happened in the past of course, but not in a time period that I was old enough to really remember. I'd love to know how it will likely affect the strength of the USD, as I have money that needs to be moved between countries and nabbing a favorable exchange rate is like free money!

The bottom line for me is that I am becoming increasingly concerned about the state of the US. The deficit is through the roof, no one can agree on much of anything, and it looks like the debt ceiling is going to have to be raised later this year. I'm afraid China is going to come knocking on the door, asking for some of its money back sooner rather than later...

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1380640687|3530110 said:
Sooo...it appears the US government has shut down?

I guess I don't really know what that MEANS. It's happened in the past of course, but not in a time period that I was old enough to really remember. I'd love to know how it will likely affect the strength of the USD, as I have money that needs to be moved between countries and nabbing a favorable exchange rate is like free money!

The bottom line for me is that I am becoming increasingly concerned about the state of the US. The deficit is through the roof, no one can agree on much of anything, and it looks like the debt ceiling is going to have to be raised later this year. I'm afraid China is going to come knocking on the door, asking for some of its money back sooner rather than later...

I assume that what you mean is the national debt is out the roof, because the deficit is actually falling.

Without getting into the politics of stuff, if this goes on too long it will have enormous effects on the economy. Slowdowns - or in this case - SHUTdowns, in government spending ripples through everything. Government contracts don't get paid, so contractors from janitors to IT to you name it, basically get furloughed too. No news outlet EVER talks about that one. So it isn't just federal workers spending less, it's huge swaths of entire states. States also don't get federal monies for things liked education, foodstamps, WIC, etc, so the poor will suffer almost immediately. There is no on to send bills to Treasury for payment and no one at Treasury to cut the checks. Ugly. All tourism - ie all national parks/museums/monuments close down. More monies lost as no one wants to visit the US.

On the world economic front, since there really is no "ours" and "theirs" anymore, our debt will be downgraded even more than it was last time, when there was just a threat of things like shutdowns. If our debt ceases to be the safe-haven of choice, I shudder to think. It may also spell the end of the dollar as the reserve currency of choice, which would be another nail in our economic coffin. And I seriously doubt the dollar will firm up, it has already started to soften up, so get ready for more if it goes on for any length.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yawn. There have been 17 shutdowns of the gov't since 1976. You've seen them, they just didn't make an impression.

I share your concerns, though -- I'd call it severe distress over the state of things.

-- Laurie

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I did mean debt - I was reading and typing at the same time. :oops:

The USD seems to be doing ok. Rate is holding steady at 0.939 = 1 AUD. The worst I've seen was when everything bottomed out with the GFC in Sept 2008. At that point the USD dropped to being worth a measly 0.65 AUD. There's a loooong way to go before we get back there again!

The last shutdown occurred when I was in elementary school, so this is the first to register in my mind. It seems like a rather radical event to take place, but I suppose those who have seen it happen multiple times aren't very concerned?

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
This my first government shutdown experience as an adult, and as a federal employee, it really f'ing sucks. DH and I are both "essential" fed workers, so we'll both be working while our household will be bringing in $0 through the duration of this. Fun! :rolleyes:

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1380644637|3530158 said:
The USD seems to be doing ok. Rate is holding steady at 0.939 = 1 AUD. The worst I've seen was when everything bottomed out with the GFC in Sept 2008. At that point the USD dropped to being worth a measly 0.65 AUD. There's a loooong way to go before we get back there again!

I think you are confused. The USD was a safe haven during the GFC. The exchange rate of 0.65 USD to 1 AUD in late 2008 means that 1 USD can be changed into 1.538 AUD. The current exchange rate (similar to early 2008) of 0.939 USD to 1 AUD means that 1 USD can be changed into 1.065 AUD.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The last shutdown occurred when I was in elementary school, so this is the first to register in my mind. It seems like a rather radical event to take place, but I suppose those who have seen it happen multiple times aren't very concerned?

No, it merely means that those who have enough to insulate themselves for a time against the effects, aren't effected, so it doesn't exist for them, or is just a temporary inconvenience at most. Others will not be so lucky, but then anyone who works directly or indirectly for the government, or uses government services, is just sponging off the people who really DO stuff, so who cares about them, right?

It really depends most on how long this goes on. Duration is key. The last big one was 21 days long. I think the concern this time is that it appears that the positions are so entrenched, that this one too, could go on for several weeks. Many people will feel it by then, or will know someone who is impacted. THEN we'll see how things fall out. Right now it's too abstract for most.

All I know is I'M sitting home twiddling MY thumbs today...and not getting paid. But then I'm one of those worthless sponges mentioned above, so no worries....

justginger

Ideal_Rock
thbmok|1380647065|3530182 said:

I think you are confused. The USD was a safe haven during the GFC. The exchange rate of 0.65 USD to 1 AUD in late 2008 means that 1 USD can be changed into 1.538 AUD. The current exchange rate (similar to early 2008) of 0.939 USD to 1 AUD means that 1 USD can be changed into 1.065 AUD.

YES! That way around! I forgot that I was celebrating that exchange rate not because it was good for my online buying power, but because I had about $3k USD left over from our summer trip to the States. Shame it won't be doing that again though, I still have cash over there that I'd like to get back here, lol.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
My brother is a disabled vet who relies on his disability check - which he apparently won't be getting while this goes on.

My father in law is a vet retired with full benefits from the Navy, who now works full time for the VA in a professional capacity (though nonessential). I'm not sure, but I believe that means he won't be getting either of his paychecks while this goes on.

It's disgusting. It is personally affecting people I know and it makes me feel sick.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
katharath|1380648331|3530201 said:
My brother is a disabled vet who relies on his disability check - which he apparently won't be getting while this goes on.

My father in law is a vet retired with full benefits from the Navy, who now works full time for the VA in a professional capacity (though nonessential). I'm not sure, but I believe that means he won't be getting either of his paychecks while this goes on.

It's disgusting. It is personally affecting people I know and it makes me feel sick.

I'm not sure how, but I have friends who got their VA payments today, as scheduled.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1380648787|3530207 said:
katharath|1380648331|3530201 said:

I'm not sure how, but I have friends who got their VA payments today, as scheduled.

That's good, and I'm assuming it's bc they were already set up to go through. It's the next few weeks that are worrying my family members though. My brother is worried about making rent next month if he doesn't get his next pymt. It's just scary for people affected. My brother has severe anxiety as is, and things like this certainly don't help.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
There are still staff in offices processing things like VA payments and Social Security. There are just not as many of them. So these essential government functions are being taken care of by essential staff...just more slowly because there are fewer people to process the same amount of work.

I am an employee of a fee-funded Federal Agency, and we have been told we have the funds to support the office for up to 4 weeks before we need to shut down. Hopefully it doesn't last that long. And although we know we are going to get paid for the time we are working, we don't know WHEN, as our paychecks are processed through payroll at a different government agency which has had to furlough some of its staff and is on that "working on functions, but working on them slowly" plan thanks to that.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My brother is on furlough as of today. It's good in that he can be at the hospital with our father, but not great in that he won't be drawing a paycheck. He's not essential, being only the chief attorney for HUD (Housing and Urban Development) in his state. No one has been funding any housing for the poor, elderly, or disabled anyway so there aren't all that many closings to attend.

AGBF

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
My husband and sister were furloughed today. He's currently mowing the yard and has a bunch of household chores to do. Plus he can take our son to the pulmonologist and also to the pumpkin patch field trip- trying to see the bright side.

My agency has enough carry-over funds to last through Friday. If the government remains shut down past then, I'll be furloughed too.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
star sparkle|1380645328|3530167 said:
This my first government shutdown experience as an adult, and as a federal employee, it really f'ing sucks. DH and I are both "essential" fed workers, so we'll both be working while our household will be bringing in $0 through the duration of this. Fun! :rolleyes:
I'm just curious as I work for the private sector and know nothing about this. WIll you ever see a paycheck for the work you do during the shutdown?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for those affected by the shutdown. The US Government NEEDS to get their act together. They cannot do as they please under the guise of "for the good of the people" when it is affecting the very people they are representing right now. I may not work for the government but I still feel the government employees' pain and unfair treatment.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
gem_anemone|1380655799|3530279 said:
I'm just curious as I work for the private sector and know nothing about this. WIll you ever see a paycheck for the work you do during the shutdown?

Employees who are deemed essential and therefore have to continue to report to work, such as DH and I, will eventually be paid for time worked during the shutdown. The problem is, nobody knows WHEN we'll actually see those paychecks; it could be anywhere from weeks to months and possibly even longer to receive backpay after normal operations resume.

Employees who are deemed non-essential and are furloughed, meaning they are not reporting to work, may or may not eventually be paid. It is uncertain whether they will receive backpay, though furloughed employees DID receive backpay during the previous shutdown in the 90s. Congress will determine whether or not furloughed employees receive their pay.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
star sparkle|1380661023|3530320 said:
gem_anemone|1380655799|3530279 said:

Employees who are deemed essential and therefore have to continue to report to work, such as DH and I, will eventually be paid for time worked during the shutdown. The problem is, nobody knows WHEN we'll actually see those paychecks; it could be anywhere from weeks to months and possibly even longer to receive backpay after normal operations resume.

Employees who are deemed non-essential and are furloughed, meaning they are not reporting to work, may or may not eventually be paid. It is uncertain whether they will receive backpay, though furloughed employees DID receive backpay during the previous shutdown in the 90s. Congress will determine whether or not furloughed employees receive their pay.
Thanks for the lesson. I didn't really understand what was happening to who and I had not found a good reliable source of information. I have some friends that are furloughed. Some don't need the money and are thankful for the time off and some are going to be hurting from this. I didn't know that others had to work without pay now and receive it at some unspecified date. That's BS! Sorry you're going through this! Hoping the government can pass the budget soon.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I know this is a serious issue - and one that I am quite concerned about - but when I saw the title thread, I assumed PS had been down earlier today. Oh, you meant the OTHER mothership!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1380669466|3530405 said:
I know this is a serious issue - and one that I am quite concerned about - but when I saw the title thread, I assumed PS had been down earlier today. Oh, you meant the OTHER mothership!

That's exactly what I thought! :oops:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paraphrasing one of the vets who "stormed" the memorial in Washington: When we has told the memorial was closed he said, "That's OK, Normandy was closed when we got there too."

:lol:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1380669466|3530405 said:

:lol:

DH and I refer to the States as my mothership - I should have thought it through a bit better!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes the USD is doing OK...notice gold price plunged $40 buck today.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1380656677|3530289 said:
I am so sorry for those affected by the shutdown. The US Government NEEDS to get their act together. They cannot do as they please under the guise of "for the good of the people" when it is affecting the very people they are representing right now. I may not work for the government but I still feel the government employees' pain and unfair treatment.
Fire all them clowns in D.C. and let me run this country.. :praise:

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1380644207|3530154 said:
Yawn. There have been 17 shutdowns of the gov't since 1976. You've seen them, they just didn't make an impression.

I share your concerns, though -- I'd call it severe distress over the state of things.

-- Laurie

You might not yawn if your husband was waiting anxiously for FDA approval of a drug that could literally save his life. Approval was expected this month, but will probably be impacted by the shutdown. We're hoping that he can hold out through the shutdown, but if not he'll have to go through another round of devastating chemo that probably won't do much good instead of getting a great new drug that has been shown to be highly effective for his cancer.

And I don't blame the U.S Government. I blame the House Republicans. The Affordable Care Act is a law that was passed by Congress, signed by the president, and ruled constitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court. The Republicans don't have the votes to overturn the law so they've decided to hold the federal government hostage instead. That's not what law-abiding, Constitution-respecting politicians do. That's what thugs do.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm A government employee. Not essential, but the way we are funded, we have contingency plan, for now. I work at the VA hospital and got a 2 page sheet which explains what will be open (primary medical services) but a number of hotlines phone services are down and also processing of claims will be slowed since overtime processing is not funded.

Personally I think congress should go furlough themselves, since they are not doing their job, yet getting paid for it, while many people whose families depend on their salary are getting furloughed. :(sad

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1380677477|3530483 said:

-- Laurie

You might not yawn if your husband was waiting anxiously for FDA approval of a drug that could literally save his life. Approval was expected this month, but will probably be impacted by the shutdown. We're hoping that he can hold out through the shutdown, but if not he'll have to go through another round of devastating chemo that probably won't do much good instead of getting a great new drug that has been shown to be highly effective for his cancer.
I would like to see the FDA to speed up the approval of drugs.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

And I don't blame the U.S Government. I blame the House Republicans. The Affordable Care Act is a law that was passed by Congress, signed by the president, and ruled constitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court. The Republicans don't have the votes to overturn the law so they've decided to hold the federal government hostage instead. That's not what law-abiding, Constitution-respecting politicians do. That's what thugs do.
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Rainwood, sending tons of PS dust that this debacle and joke of a government gets its shizz together in time to benefit your husband. I am so very sorry that your family has to deal with the additional stress of our broken government. Hugs to you.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1380677579|3530485 said:
Personally I think congress should go furlough themselves, since they are not doing their job, yet getting paid for it, while many people whose families depend on their salary are getting furloughed. :(sad
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: They are supposed to work for us which means we are their bosses so I think WE need to start making changes that hold them more accountable. I normally try to stay out of political discussions but this latest farce, coupled with all of the shameful events leading up to our economic collapse, has me :angryfire: Our government is now the butt of its own joke.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Matata|1380678048|3530493 said:

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Rainwood, sending tons of PS dust that this debacle and joke of a government gets its shizz together in time to benefit your husband. I am so very sorry that your family has to deal with the additional stress of our broken government. Hugs to you.

amen to all of it and sending more dust!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results