shape
carat
color
clarity

The "Happy Bubble"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Ok...just a random rant...

I was at the store today in the checkout line and I had this really annoying lady behind me with her ginormous cart (we''re in the 10 items or less lime mind you) and I had a man paying in front of me using the cc machine so I wanted to give him his "happy bubble" space so that he doesn''t feel like I am hovering or being nosey.

So, as I am standing in line the woman behind me kept inching her empty cart closer and closer to my rear.....then she was practically breathing down my neck we were like "in the club" close grrrrrr....

Honestly, does this grate on anyones nerves when people are practically on top of you for no reason in the checkout line???

O.k. I''m done now....
12.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
The happy bubble should totally be respected. Also, I always put the divider bar thingy behind my stuff at check-out. I think it is really rude of people who do not do that
38.gif

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
ew, yeah i hate that, too. i like to have plenty of personal space... everywhere, not just in the store. i always feel like people are trying to rush me when they get up close like that. it makes me a tiny bit anxious, lol...

bebe

Ideal_Rock
oh yeah! This is a big pet peeve of mine. If possible I set the little divider as far away from my things as possible.

Just this morning, I was about to push my basket up to the checkout, but there was a lady who was refilling the magazines. She was in my way, I couldn''t get to the counter. I waited very nicely, she looked straight at me and continued her job.
Oh well!

Also another peeve is store employees who walk in front of or don''t step aside for a customer. I can''t say how many times I, as the customer, stepped aside for the employee who was about to run me over. It''s a lack of manners and respect for the customer.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I have a real problem with people who get all up in my grill! It happens to me sometimes when I''m shopping at a clothing store. I''m taller than a lot of women and it''s easy for me to box them out and they usually get the hint pretty quickly.

If I were you, I probably would have backed up a bit and bumped into her cart so she got the hint. I''m subtle like that!
9.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
How rude, I would have said something!!

I can''t abide bad manners and disrespectful behaviour, and have been known to exclaim loud "Excuse ME!"s if people bump me without apologising.

I don''t think I would have been able to resist saying something.. even if it was slightly amusing or cheeky, to comment on her close proximity to me. :)

x x x

PS. I hope she got thrown out of that queue for having too many items!

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been hit numerous times...and they usually dont apologize either...grrrrr

I HATE when people have MORE than 10 items, theres a reason its called the 10 items or less lane... gahh.. I sit there and count them out-loud when there putting them up and go gee i swore i thought this was the 10 item or less lane..
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that you call it the "happy bubble", I am totally going to adopt that.

I''ve never noticed anyone getting too close to me in the line, but it would probably make me uncomfortable.

As for the 10 items or less lane, I blame the employees. I have yet to see an employee enforce the rule, so naturally self-entitled people are going to abuse the situation. (I''m a teacher, and we all know that when a class is out of control it''s probably a result of the way the teacher behaves in the class. If you don''t enforce the rules, nobody follows them. Plain and simple.)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I got pushed out of my happy bubble today! I have a 2 yr old on my hip and 3 items on the checkout. Some college kid rams his desk up my arse and forces me out of the end of the line while I''m trying to use the CC machine. Then the clerk starts packing his stuff before I even have a receipt. I left without my apples and I''m pretty sure I know who got them! GRRR!

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Well dang, it''s good to know that I am not the only one.....

I was so tempted to *nicely* booty bump her cart .....but I was in a bit of a hurry so I just gave her the "look" and walked out....

I need my happy bubble space dang it.....same goes with dining out....If my table is right on top of other tables or a large party, it drives me nutso (especially since I have been in the food business) I almost hate going out anymore....I''m too young to be this cynical and cranky......lol

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
OMG this is too funny! Just the other day my mom and I were shopping, and the woman in the checkout line in front of us banged her cart into me. I just looked at her sort of surprised, and when she smiled back I thought it had been a mistake. Then, when I went to bag the groceries and she was behind my mom instead, she banged her cart into her REPEATEDLY apparently trying to push her away and it kept her from swiping her card correctly...

So much mom turns around and tells the lady: "stop edging me out! that''s so rude!" I was laughing so hard, but my mom was totally serious and mad about it.

I hate when people get in my space. I hate being touched without my permission, especially since I''ve had some bad experiences with that in the past. I have perfected my death stare.
38.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
14.gif
I don''t like that either. Especially when I am writing my check for groceries and they are breathing down my neck, OR watching me write my check. I turn and give them a dirty look. They usually step back when I do that.
9.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never had anyone edge me out, but I give a really good stink-eye
25.gif

What I hate even worse is fools that stand in the middle of the aisle and won''t give me space to get around them, even when I blatantly make my presence known. I have no problem asking them to move - it''s so rude!

I remember as a kid telling my mom when this happened that my brother and I must be the last two people on the earth taught manners, in front of some lady blocking the whole aisle with her cart. The lady looked absolutely furious - but she moved! Hey, I was like 5!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 9:44:19 PM
Author: Haven
I love that you call it the ''happy bubble'', I am totally going to adopt that.

I''ve never noticed anyone getting too close to me in the line, but it would probably make me uncomfortable.

As for the 10 items or less lane, I blame the employees. I have yet to see an employee enforce the rule, so naturally self-entitled people are going to abuse the situation. (I''m a teacher, and we all know that when a class is out of control it''s probably a result of the way the teacher behaves in the class. If you don''t enforce the rules, nobody follows them. Plain and simple.)

In defense of the employees as I used to work as a checkout supervisor during university were I worked you were not allowed to kick a person out of the line if they are already there, you can however let them know that this is the 10 items or less line and you will let them through this time but the next time they will have to go to another checkout. However considering the amount of times you get seriously verbally abused from customers a lot of the time we wouldn''t bother no one likes being abused.

The personal space thing irks me it is not that hard to abide by.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 11:07:22 PM
Author: Linda W
14.gif
I don''t like that either. Especially when I am writing my check for groceries and they are breathing down my neck, OR watching me write my check. I turn and give them a dirty look. They usually step back when I do that.
9.gif
Linda, I wish that would work for me. I hate grocery shopping for a few reasons and that is one of them and distracted cellphone users who bump their carts into you, sheesh!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 12:39:02 AM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 8/14/2008 11:07:22 PM

Author: Linda W

14.gif
9.gif
Linda, I wish that would work for me. I hate grocery shopping for a few reasons and that is one of them and distracted cellphone users who bump their carts into you, sheesh!

Oh I know. I have had more skinned ankles because of that
14.gif
One person, even ran over my toe!!!

Linda

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
ugh I hate the personal space issue-I was on vacation last summer in Disney World and was sitting on a wall waiting for a ride to re-open. Another tourist sits next to me, but RIGHT ON TOP OF ME-skin touching skin, it was SO HUMID and I was disgustingly sweaty-all I needed was someone ELSE''S SWEAT on me too-so I moved over and SO DID SHE!!! It was so gross I had to just get down
14.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I stand sideways when that happens. Usually with an elbow out. Is it slightly passive-aggressive? Yes. Is it effective? Also yes. I just wonder, what is with the people who enjoy being that close to complete strangers? Is this the pedestrian version of tailgaiting? Seriously, people, you''ll get there soon enough!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this rant hit close to home. Just today, someone was breathing down my neck in the pharmacy line at my grocery store. I was especially annoyed because they were WAY beyond the "line up here for patient privacy" sign, but I tried not to pay too much attention. I left my credit card on the counter for a few seconds when I was digging my insurance card out of my wallet, and this person stole my credit card. About two minutes later, I noticed it was missing--and the person behind me was gone. At first I chalked it up to absentmindedness or perhaps having misplaced the card, but a thorough search of the area and quick check with the pharmacy and store security prompted me to call my credit card company to cancel the card. As it turns out, the thief already charged over $70 of gasoline on it--all within ten minutes of my noticing it was missing!

Although I have to believe that such an occurrence is rare, I have learned my lesson. No more staying quiet while my personal space is being invaded by a potential thief. The credit card company will not require me to pay for the fraudulent charges, but I feel so violated. I don''t mean to scare anyone--this thread just hit close to home, and I really needed to vent a little. (Sorry for the threadjack!)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 1:45:30 AM
Author: Blair138
ugh I hate the personal space issue-I was on vacation last summer in Disney World and was sitting on a wall waiting for a ride to re-open. Another tourist sits next to me, but RIGHT ON TOP OF ME-skin touching skin, it was SO HUMID and I was disgustingly sweaty-all I needed was someone ELSE''S SWEAT on me too-so I moved over and SO DID SHE!!! It was so gross I had to just get down
14.gif

THAT is so disgusting. I feel awful for you! I would have just shot her this look and gone, "EXCUSE ME, can you MOVE?"
3.gif

I have serious personal space issues too! Try being in Japan on the subway during rush hour -it''s like a can of sardines, extra-tightly-squeezed-together! Ugh. And Circe, I am a firm believer in the use of elbows. I''m pretty small (5''1") so I tend to get run over easily, especially in busy stores or streets, so I''ve found that being proactive (walking with elbows effectively positioned) is helpful
9.gif

And Kittybean, that''s awful! What a creep
23.gif
Thank goodness you noticed and were able to cancel the card before TOO much damage was done, although I really feel for you that that happened at all!

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
yep, cant stand it. for me it seems to happen the most at the post office. Arghhh. Why dont people realise that just because they are breathing down my neck, the line wont magically go any faster ......

I always want to say something, but chicken out in the end.

d2b

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh that drives me mad too. I hate it also when someone won''t let you past after clearing saying excuse me.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it really pi$$&s me off! I will usually "accidentally" back up into them, or, if they''re bad enough, I just turn around and ask them to move. Maybe i''m bi%chy, but Oh Well! My personal space is very important to me!!!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh, I hate the people who get right up behind you in line. I''ve also had people who start putting their groceries on the belt while I''m still putting mine on. I grocery shop once a week, so I have a lot of stuff, so I always have to turn to them and say, "oh, I''m going to need more room than that!" Who does that anyway??

My moment of shame occurred when I was standing in line with my full cart, and the manager waved me into the next line, which had just opened. What he didn''t tell me and I didn''t notice, though, is that it was the 15 or less line. I''m such a flake that I didn''t realize it until I noticed that the people getting in line behind me only had a few items each. Ooops.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I have serious personal space issues. I''m short and small, so I always get crowded and it drives me crazy. Luckily, I have very sharp elbows
11.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Uggh!! HATE this!!

I had to bite my lip yesterday because I almost said something...

I take the commuter bus to and from work during the week. Well where I get on, we kind of form this line. I was the first and then this odd fellow that I have seen before came and stood right beside me, were talking millimeteres. I've seen him talk to other people while waiting, so I immediatley got worried, I was not in conversation with stranger mood. Well, in the next 5 minutes there were probably 10 more people in line. I was slowly shifting my weight back and forth to try and create a "happy bubble" space between myself and the guy. Well I felt like I had moved ALOT but he was still right there next to my shoulder. I felt bad saying something and didn't want to look around him to see if I had indeed created space. About 2 minutes later a bus came up and I looked at the reflection in the window... and there was a 6 FOOT GAP between him and the 3rd person in line. He was following me everytime I scooted over!!! We were literally touching shoulders.
29.gif
I was screaming inside my head!!
20.gif
He also kept walking up to the curb and looking down the street for the bus, and did this about 4 times. When he would return he would get closer than normal, and I new he wanted to say something to me but I immediately "answered" my perfectly timed phone call.
2.gif
He was just making me really nervous and annoyed.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hehehe. I love that. Happy Bubble!
19.gif

Here, no one minds the happy bubble because there isn''t happy bubble space. We''re all crammed in the aisles like sardines. But when there is happy bubble space (I love that term!), usually men are the ones who break it. They sit with their legs ALL spread out so no one can sit to their right or left.

What about at movies? Or on planes? Men always hog the armrest!!!!!! Both of them when they''re in the middle aisle!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 9:23:35 PM
Author: Cleo
How rude, I would have said something!!

I can''t abide bad manners and disrespectful behaviour, and have been known to exclaim loud ''Excuse ME!''s if people bump me without apologising.

I don''t think I would have been able to resist saying something.. even if it was slightly amusing or cheeky, to comment on her close proximity to me. :)

x x x

PS. I hope she got thrown out of that queue for having too many items!
Ditto, I can hear me know "do YOU mind?"

lol
11.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I use a three step process in those situations:

1. Stomp the person's instep with my heel.
2. Snap my head back in a reverse head butt.
3. Whirl around and smash the palm of my hand into their nose.

Try it. It clears the line out pretty quick.

Rich, not passive aggressive

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 12:30:47 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
I use a three step process in those situations:

1. Stomp the person''s instep with my heel.

2. Snap my head back in a reverse head butt.

3. Whirl around and smash the palm of my hand into their nose.

Try it. It clears the line out pretty quick.

Rich, not passive aggressive

ha ha ha ha ha yep that is our Richard!!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results