clarity

the first TV that your family owned...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
was it a B&W or color?... :bigsmile:

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
It was a B & W for sure and we could receive only one channel - from Buffalo, NY.

We could barely recognize a human on the screen as most of the picture was 'snow'. ::)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
B&W. Got about 9 stations?? NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS and a few others...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
isaku5|1294102621|2813642 said:
It was a B & W for sure and we could receive only one channel - from Buffalo, NY.

We could barely recognize a human on the screen as most of the picture was 'snow'. ::)
b/c Buffalo is always snowing... :lol:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
color, got 4 channels. I vaguely remember one that had a knob to turn, and then I know we had one that had a number pad to change channels.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
B & W early 60's. Then it broke and if we wanted to watch TV we went next door, ha ha!!

we didn't get a color set til many many years after everyone else. We had A/C in our car before
we had it in our house!!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B&W of course. Very small. Four channels. Ten-thirty pm, news over, indian head test pattern. Rabbit ears. Foil. Or YOU, if required. Remember having to stand next to the TV in juuuuust the right position (uncomfortable naturally) with your hand on the antenna? Good times.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Early 50s- black and white. Mom and I would drink coffee (mine in a bottle-seriously) and watch Ernie Kovacs every morning. In the late 60s my dad brought home this screen you attached to the tv that showed the picture in color (hah).

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
Color. Had the dial on the side, with brown fuax-wood paneling.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
19-inch B&W on a lovely metal stand with wheels. My parents still have the pictures my dad took of the set when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. (Yours truly was trying to sleep on the couch and they kept waking me up. "You're GOING to watch this.")
My first personal set was at the ripe age of five in 1968. My mom was tired of listening to my dad and I fight over what to watch so she got my grandfather's old set from his office. Very heavy, shaped like a huge shoebox with about a nine-inch B&W screen. My dad painted it purple with gold knobs (on the top.) I've had a set somewhere around the end of my bed since then.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B&W c1961.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Black and white console circa late 1950s or could have been 1960...not sure. It was in the living room. I remember taking out the tubes and going to an appliance store with my dad to test them to see which one needed to be replaced. That was fun! That TV also lasted about 20 or more years, at least until you couldn't get tubes anymore.

I used to watch Romper Room, Soupy Sales, Wonderama, Gidget, Dobey Gillis, Gilligan's Island, I Dream of Jeannie, The Fugitive, Wonderful World of Disney, Bonanza, 77 Sunset Strip, etc..... boy brings back some sweet memories!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
lulu|1294107105|2813708 said:
Early 50s- black and white. Mom and I would drink coffee (mine in a bottle-seriously) and watch Ernie Kovacs every morning. In the late 60s my dad brought home this screen you attached to the tv that showed the picture in color (hah).

I remember Ernie Kovacs (was Edie Adams his wife?) and my parents would watch Mitch Miller. I also remember that screen you would attach to the tv screen for color, though we never had one. In the late 60s a neighbor got a color tv (boy they were so expensive) and we would hang out there to watch what few shows were in color back then.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Prana|1294107299|2813709 said:

Ours was like this, too. It must have had a decent amount of channels, because I recall laying on our living floor when I was three watching Jem :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ours was a big console thing in the 50s. Tiny tv screen, a radio & a record player w/a gadget to play 78s or 33s. B/W of course. 3 channels. Used to watch the Lone Ranger & Sky King on Sat. mornings, anybody remember Sky King? A friend down the street got one of the first color tvs, what a monster! We all headed over there to see the one or 2 programs broadcast in color -- but it wasn't worth it because her father sat in front of the set, continually fiddling w/the color adjustment dials. You couldn't see anything; he was always in the way & people's faces went from white to red to brown as he played obsessively. What a hoot.

--- Laurie

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
color (I think..1968)..I remember UHF Ch's...no remotes, no cable, having to get up and turn the dial and the best part..the rabbit ears antennas (sometimes with foil on it). Don't remember the size (I was a kid) but it was on a stand.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents were married in 1954, so their first TV was a black and white with a rather huge screen that was permanently mounted inside a enormous 40" wide wood console cabinet.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
MonkeyPie|1294149397|2813921 said:
Prana|1294107299|2813709 said:

Ours was like this, too. It must have had a decent amount of channels, because I recall laying on our living floor when I was three watching Jem :bigsmile:
I lOVED Jem!!!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Let's see the first TV I remember my parents having was a color TV with a remote, mid to late 80's

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Soocool- I remember 77 Sunset Strip. I had such a crush on Kookie!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Soocool, that brought back memories.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soocool|1294146459|2813908 said:
Black and white console circa late 1950s or could have been 1960...not sure. It was in the living room. I remember taking out the tubes and going to an appliance store with my dad to test them to see which one needed to be replaced. That was fun! That TV also lasted about 20 or more years, at least until you couldn't get tubes anymore.

I used to watch Romper Room, Soupy Sales, Wonderama, Gidget, Dobey Gillis, Gilligan's Island, I Dream of Jeannie, The Fugitive, Wonderful World of Disney, Bonanza, 77 Sunset Strip, etc..... boy brings back some sweet memories!
i remember watching The Andy Griffith Show and Combat.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color...maybe 32" in a wooden console with no remote. I don't know...it was like everyone else's (my grandparents' and so on) in that it was large and had vents and hardware, etc. I wasn't old enough to actually realize what I was looking at compared to anyone else's until I was about 3-4 which would've been in 1980-82 or so. I don't ever remember watching television in black and white! A novelty for me and my brother (who is 4 years older than me) was seeing "The Wizard of Oz" on t.v. during holidays...we sort of marveled at the fact that there were black and white scenes which we'd never seen! We thought that was great!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
We had no picture and barely sound and we "watched" The Family Feud and the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman come to think of it. We lived in the country and most of the time the screen was a mess but you could hear it. These days having a computer is like being a kid in a candy store compared to those days.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Color. I'm too young for black and white :cheeky: The first time I saw a black and white cartoon I panicked and ran to my dad to tell him that the TV was broken :lol:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1294241330|2814871 said:
Color. I'm too young for black and white :cheeky: The first time I saw a black and white cartoon I panicked and ran to my dad to tell him that the TV was broken :lol:

That's a cute story!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results