shape
carat
color
clarity

The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but I am completely in love with this site. The author makes up words and beautiful definitions for those odd, sad feelings you get sometimes.

Words like:

swish fulfillment
n. the feeling of delicate luck after casually tossing something across the room and hitting your target so crisply and perfectly that you feel no desire to even attempt another shot, which is a more compelling argument for the concept of monogamous love than anything sung to a guitar.

Funkenzwangsvorstellung
n. the instinctive trance of a campfire in the dark, spending hours roasting and watching as it settles and sinks into the ground like a heap of shipwrecks whose sailors raise their flickering sails trying to signal that the prevailing winds of your life are about to shift, that the edge of the Earth is real and looming just a few years ahead, and that your marshmallow is on fire.

and

rollover reaction

n. when your dream about someone you know skews how you feel about them all the next day, an emotion you are unable—and unwilling—to shake.

http://www.dictionaryofobscuresorrows.com

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow--I love this!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice. It takes talent to be able to recognize such subtle feelings and then actually translate the into language the we can all understand. Thanks for the link.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool.
Thanks for posting.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
This reminded me of the real world German word Weltschmerz

WIKI: Weltschmerz (from the German, meaning world-pain or world-weariness, pronounced is a term coined by the German author Jean Paul and denotes the kind of feeling experienced by someone who understands that physical reality can never satisfy the demands of the mind.

My husband and I often complain about weltschmerz. Like this:

"I thought that party was going to be a lot more fun."

"Weltschmerz." :cry:

"Yup." :|

Here's a clip from the Big Bang Theory in which Sheldon explains weltschmerz and uses it in a sentence;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCc9nyxqR44 :bigsmile:

Cool link, thanks! :appl:

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I love it!! I can see that I will be home way too late reading these!

This one is perfect.

hanker sore
adj. finding a person so attractive it actually kinda pisses you off.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
This is a wonderful website! My favorite is 'sonder' - I feel like that describes me every time I'm in public, pondering over the lives of others. I like knowing a word to describe it. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results