shape
carat
color
clarity

The Colonoscopy Thread: a PSA

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this dr usesi fentanyl (a short acting morphine- type drug) and versed (a short acting valium- type drug).

anyone have any experience with these....?

I am really not looking forward to the prep....and am really hoping it goes better this time!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fentanyl and Versed are the standard and are really good, this is what you want. I've not heard of propofol for colonoscopies.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you, azstonie!

I don't know what was used for my 2nd c'scope 7 years ago but hubby reminded me I was a space cadet for a very long time afterwards.......

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope everything went well for you today, MZ!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1419281427|3805975 said:
I hope everything went well for you today, MZ!

Me too MZ! Hope it went well and that you feeling fine.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MZ, I hope you are flatulant (means you were discharged in good condition) and wolfing down a cheeseburger and fries somewhere on your way home from the endoscopy clinic!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you for thinking of me!
yes, I survived.

TMI:
the prep wasn't as bad as it was years ago.
MoviPrep: I added 4 packets of lemonade flavor crystal lite Pure by truvia. shook like crazy and kept it in the refrigerator between the 15 minute "intakes".
lubed up nicely with Vaseline around the "outtake" area.
quit drinking water at a reasonable hour after being on the toilet for 4.5 hours and was able to get some sleep.
today did the same with the MoviPrep.
love the drugs! go out just like sleeping already in position on my side.
woke up before the procedure was over and did experience pain so they hit me with more the drugs.
everything fine after that except for sleepy.

it really was very much easier than last time. also, I recommend BaKol Jel Dessert instead of regular jello as it has no artificial coloring and/or flavorings....and no high fructose corn syrup or aspartame.

and, yes, once again a polyp was removed and is off to the lab........I expect the same results as from 7.5 years ago which was negative re cancer.

this thread has been so helpful. really helped with my attitude as well.

thank you to everyone!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY! Glad it is over MZ and wishing you all the best for good (negative) results. :appl:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good going, MoZo. Question: Did you feel the MoviPrep had a greasy quality to it?

Request your colonoscopy report, and also request the pathology report from the polyp analysis.

Your colonoscopy report should have the digital pics of the various evaluation points through the colonoscopy, it will evaluate the quality of the prep (poor, fair, good, excellent) and will give the location of the polyp and the technique used to remove it. The pathology report is most likely going to be benign but it will tell you what variant of polyp (tubulovillous, serrated, etc.).

Keep it in your files. Produce it before your next colonoscopy to the ordering physician for his/her review.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, I will request the report if it isn't automatically given to me when the polyp results are back.

MoviPrep: I didn't notice oiliness but it was really Salty. I think adding the lemonade flavoring really made the difference.

also, I had some chocolate flavoring drops that I used on prep day. placed ice into glass, 1/2 a dropper onto the ice, and then filled with water. no mixing required! this was my go to for staying hydrated and it actually helped to curb the hunger pangs with the flavoring.

I had bought organic broth to have but didn't like the taste at all on its own. I've used it before for a soup base but on its own I hated it. however, the jel I mentioned above and the chocolate flavored water on prep day actually kept me from being super hungry. 6p I started the MoviPrep and that is very filling so I never got really hungry. same in the morning when I did the 2nd MoviPrep dose.

hubby did a Whole Foods run while I was under and brought me back a piece of pumpkin pie! yum in the car and hit the spot. his run also got me a toasted bagel with sundried tomato cream cheese smear which I had in the evening along with some of the jel.

just now feeling a bit hungry.

all in all a much better experience than last time! thankfully!!!!!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
So yep, the prep is totally the worst part of having this done. I've never had a colonoscopy before, but I'm sure it helped that I ate pretty lightly for a few days leading up to today. I basically followed the BRAT diet, other than the scrambled eggs I had on Friday morning.

I wasn't prepared for how nauseous I'd feel after drinking 32 oz. of Gatorade, and I had to do that last night and early this morning. I felt terrible all night from about 5 pm on. Oh, and I was a yahoo and asked for an early time, not realizing that I had a two day prep. Day 2 (this morning) had to begin 5 hours prior to arriving to the hospital, so I had to get up at 2:30 this morning. Next time, in 10 years (yay!), I'll plan differently.

I was really nervous but my husband stayed with me until they wheeled me in for the procedure. They gave me Propofol and I was completely out. I remember the anesthesiologist telling me that I was going to take a nice rest, and then the next thing I knew, she was yelling my name to wake me up afterward. That's how I remember it anyway, and it was very jarring. I was told that I wouldn't feel groggy, dizzy, or nauseous from the Propofol, and they were right. It was weird that one minute I was completely under/out, and the next, I just felt a bit sleepy after waking up, but fine overall. My GI came to see me afterwards, and he gave me a high 5 and said I did great. That made me laugh. He did all the work! Yucky work, if I may add.

I felt fine afterward but I made the mistake of wanting to go out for lunch. My stomach was hurting and was still somewhat upset, so that turned out to be a bad decision. I guess I thought that after the procedure, I'd feel 100% better. Yeah, not really...

I'm now beginning to feel better, but I think I'll eat lightly for the next day or so. How on earth do you deal with eating all carbs (white rice, white toast, bananas, applesauce) to settle your stomach if you're trying to eat a lower carb diet? That's something I haven't figured out. :confused:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What - you don't get a nice day of sleeping it off? If that's the case, I'll be avoiding Propofol!

Seriously, I'm sorry your prep day was rocky, but glad your procedure went well. I eased back into eating too - not sure if it was necessary, but it worked for me.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Propofol was actually really good. I didn't have an out of it, loopy feeling, and I was told that Propofol is given for that reason (and others, I'd assume, but that's the reason they gave me). I felt like I had just taken a nap. I remember everything up until when they administered the Propofol. From the time I checked in until the time we left, it was 3 hours or so, total. Waiting to see the doctor afterward took the longest amount of time.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Benefits of early time:
The room and equipment are clean. If you think that in between procedures they do a complete and sterile cleanup, you'd be wrong.

Your procedure will take place on time. Because of this, your endoscopist will not rush your colonoscopy, reducing the risk of a perforation (1:1000) and if you require polyp removal has time to do it well, also reducing risk.

Your endoscopist is fresh in the morning and the likely repetitive stress injury they are nursing along is also the best its going to be.

If you did get a perf and the endoscopic fails to realize this, you'd not be running to the ER in the wee hours. This is also why you always have any procedure/operation on Monday or Tuesday

Just get a different prep.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I just had a colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago and found this thread helpful; thank you!

My mother had stage 2 colon cancer which was cured surgically this summer (she had waited 6 years between colonoscopies despite a family history and previous polyps). So then they recommended that my siblings and I have colonoscopies after age 40. My siblings are over 40, had their colonoscopies, and both had multiple or large polyps, so that meant I signed up to have one (I'm 34). My main concern was the prep; I suffer from BP and dizziness issues exacerbated by dehydration.

My instructions were to avoid nuts and seeds for three days before and an all clear, liquid diet the day before. It wasn't too bad as I am used to depending a lot on hydration. I used EFS powder to give me electrolytes and calories at the same time.

For the prep I used the Prepotik which was not unpleasant at all, but I didn't realize that I could drink my additional 40 ounces of liquid at a leisurely pace and chugged it, which made me feel ill, but also meant it started working right away. The bathroom part was better than I expected; I only felt dizzy once.

During the procedure, they gave me IV fluids, which was a good move as my BP dropped from 130/70 to 90/50. I had fentanyl and versed. I thought I remembered the whole procedure, but in retrospect, everything took about 10 minutes, so obviously not. But I distinctly remember being conscious for part of the procedure and seeing the screen, and the doctor saying, "You have no polyps, but you won't remember me telling you this." (So that's the good news -- no polyps!) I also remember mild discomfort as they pumped in air, but all in all, everything was easier and less traumatic than I was expecting. I did crash and take a super nap when I got home, and I felt tired for several days after, but otherwise I had no ill effects. I'm supposed to go back in 5 years, and I definitely will. Obviously in my family there is a tendency to have polyps, so an unpleasant day is many many many times preferable to cancer. I'm so thankful the technology exists.

ETA: My mom told me I would feel great afterwards and would have no problem going to my husband's work party or eating a big meal. She apparently always goes out and immediately eats McDonald's afterwards. My sister told me not to listen to Mom as she did and then deeply regretted the Mexican food she had, haha. I definitely stuck to bland food; my appetite wasn't fully back that day anyway. We did manage to go to the work party after my long nap, but I stuck to gingerale and did get tired after a couple of hours.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phoenixgirl, I'm glad everything went well during your procedure. I was talking to my mom earlier and she mentioned that she's known people who have gone in to work afterwards. I can't imagine doing that or even wanting to. After we went out to lunch, my husband went back to work (he works from home) and I tried to take a nap. I didn't end up falling asleep so I just watched a little TV in bed and snuggled with our kitties.

My husband just commented that I should have more colonoscopies because I have a ton of energy right now and I've accomplished a lot in a few hours. I've been cleaning out cupboards in the kitchen, and he made his comment after I proudly showed him the progress I've made. Sitting down to type this I've noticed that I'm crashing, so I think I'm probably heading to bed soon.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1419888944|3809268 said:
So yep, the prep is totally the worst part of having this done. I've never had a colonoscopy before, but I'm sure it helped that I ate pretty lightly for a few days leading up to today. I basically followed the BRAT diet, other than the scrambled eggs I had on Friday morning.

I wasn't prepared for how nauseous I'd feel after drinking 32 oz. of Gatorade, and I had to do that last night and early this morning. I felt terrible all night from about 5 pm on. Oh, and I was a yahoo and asked for an early time, not realizing that I had a two day prep. Day 2 (this morning) had to begin 5 hours prior to arriving to the hospital, so I had to get up at 2:30 this morning. Next time, in 10 years (yay!), I'll plan differently.

I was really nervous but my husband stayed with me until they wheeled me in for the procedure. They gave me Propofol and I was completely out. I remember the anesthesiologist telling me that I was going to take a nice rest, and then the next thing I knew, she was yelling my name to wake me up afterward. That's how I remember it anyway, and it was very jarring. I was told that I wouldn't feel groggy, dizzy, or nauseous from the Propofol, and they were right. It was weird that one minute I was completely under/out, and the next, I just felt a bit sleepy after waking up, but fine overall. My GI came to see me afterwards, and he gave me a high 5 and said I did great. That made me laugh. He did all the work! Yucky work, if I may add.

I felt fine afterward but I made the mistake of wanting to go out for lunch. My stomach was hurting and was still somewhat upset, so that turned out to be a bad decision. I guess I thought that after the procedure, I'd feel 100% better. Yeah, not really...

I'm now beginning to feel better, but I think I'll eat lightly for the next day or so. How on earth do you deal with eating all carbs (white rice, white toast, bananas, applesauce) to settle your stomach if you're trying to eat a lower carb diet? That's something I haven't figured out. :confused:

Yes, all those carbs would bother me too. Is all carbs the only option?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom has had two colonoscopies where I worked and and she was in the In-N-Out drive thru on the way home both times :clap:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Momhappy, for stomach issues, I've been told to eat very bland foods, such as the ones on the BRAT diet (bananas, [white] rice, applesauce, and [white] toast) until symptoms go away or lessen. I don't mind doing that, but since I'm trying to eat lower carb for other reasons, it's hard to follow that diet. I do because it's hard to tolerate much else, but I hate the fact that all I'm eating are carbs. If there's something else to try, I'll look into it, but so far, my doctor and my gastroenterologist have recommended that.

Azstonie, your mom must have a steel stomach if she can handle fast food immediately after a colonoscopy!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I should be calling and making an appointment for my one year follow-up. Procrastinating that one a bit, but really need to just do it.

Not fair that I'm only 31 and scheduling colonoscopy number 2!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1419944419|3809532 said:
Momhappy, for stomach issues, I've been told to eat very bland foods, such as the ones on the BRAT diet (bananas, [white] rice, applesauce, and [white] toast) until symptoms go away or lessen. I don't mind doing that, but since I'm trying to eat lower carb for other reasons, it's hard to follow that diet. I do because it's hard to tolerate much else, but I hate the fact that all I'm eating are carbs. If there's something else to try, I'll look into it, but so far, my doctor and my gastroenterologist have recommended that.

Azstonie, your mom must have a steel stomach if she can handle fast food immediately after a colonoscopy!

Yes, I eat low carb too, so I can sympathize with you. Being told to eat all carbs would be tough for me because I try to focus on lean proteins, while reducing as many carbs as I can. It's not that I'm super-strict about it, but it's just a general rule of thumb that I try to follow in my everyday life. I'm sorry to hear about your stomach issues - I hope that you're feeling better soon =)

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1419944419|3809532 said:

I had some major health issues last year and had a hard time keeping any food down. It seemed like everything that's healthy to eat caused pain. I managed to get by with shredded chicken in bone broth with some very well cooked lentils (blended) as my staple. I could also eat squash puree and apple sauce. I know still carby, but not quite as bad as rice. At the time i was being tested for crohn's disease so was looking for food that's easy to break down. Any leafy and green and healthy was bad news.

I hope you get sorted soon!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Momhappy and Chemgirl. Chemgirl, I'm sorry you've been dealing with issues for a while now.

I have one more test to do, a lactose/lactulose tolerance test, but I have a feeling my GI won't find anything wrong there. I'm pretty sure I have nothing more than a very sensitive stomach which isn't great, but I'll deal.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1420049688|3810095 said:
Thanks, Momhappy and Chemgirl. Chemgirl, I'm sorry you've been dealing with issues for a while now.

I have one more test to do, a lactose/lactulose tolerance test, but I have a feeling my GI won't find anything wrong there. I'm pretty sure I have nothing more than a very sensitive stomach which isn't great, but I'll deal.

You may have already mentioned this, but have you been tested for h pylori? Also did the doctor take multiple samples during your scope? I ask because I was feeling horrible, pain, nausea, "rapid transit" and anemia. Tests were all normal except for mild gastritis. I had to get biopsies of my stomach and large intestin and then found out I had h pylori and microscopic colitis. A few rounds of antibiotics have me mostly normal, although I am more careful about what I eat now.

Maybe you have something similar going on?

Elimination diet can also help. I tested fine for lactose, but do notice that I feel better without it. Annoying, but might be worth a try.

I get all preachy when I hear about people with digestive issues because I know how stressful it can be.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results