carat
color
clarity

Swim/Beachwear

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

In what could be the most contentious issue of 2013, I'd like to discuss swimwear. :bigsmile:

And NO DF, don't ask for IRL pictures..... :rolleyes:

Seriously, the purpose of this thread is for others to share what brands and styles/types of swimwear, coverup's and even footwear that you like and find serviceable while at the pool or beach.

I'll start. For the most part, I have been swimming all my life. I think I've worn every brand of one piece, but find I now gravitiate to one brand when I am exercising in the pool. Excellent quality, hold their shape and color. I have this brand in both one and two piece and they do NOT move when I am bouncing around (no pun intended) and swimming. I can't say they have the most exciting color combo's, but I don't mind. Brand is TYR.

http://www.tyr.com/

For fashion/fun, I love Nanette Lapore and Vix. Last year I bought a NL suit in PS and it is the most wonderful fit, colorful, and sweet looking suit I've owned in a long time. I was deterred by the price, but the fit won me over. Many great styles in both one and two piece.

http://www.nanettelepore.com/swim-2/hula-gal-stargazer.html

http://www.nanettelepore.com/swim-2/waikiki-reef-dreamer.html I bought it in the matching color as above.

Vix also had really great suits. I finally had to retire one last year after wearing it, out. I adore white suits but they generally don't stand the test of time--and fair enough--but I was surprised how much wear and time I got out of one of my white Vix suits.

http://www.vixpaulahermanny.com/

Since I exercise in the pool and need a grip when I am running--I have used lots of different footwear and find them all equal. Price does not seem to determine quality--Vibrams did not grip the pool floor any better than the $5.99 aquasox from Wallmart. For dressier flip flops--I buy those from Talbots--preferrably on sale. They get wrecked pretty quickly with wet feet and or sand, so I don't care if I buy last seasons stuff new, I just toss it at the end of the holiday anyway.

I am not partial to coverups--I have a variety and also get those on sale. I save my money for the bathing suits, where I look for fabric and fit and style--overall quality.

Also I don't mind mixing and matching tops and bottoms--doesn't always have to be matchy.

OK. Your turn. :))

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The other item I have that I find really useful, is a microfibre towel. Lightweight and super absorbant--when I get out of the pool I am dry in an instant with this thing. Folds up inot nothing and travels well.

I don't know how others care for their suits, but I am not very careful. I have the suit wash products--but honeslty cannot be bothered to hand was after use, unless we are at a hotel and one has no other option. I tend to use the super gentle (silk or wool) cycles of the front loaders, which are just like hand washing anyway.

cheers--Sharon

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good topic! I am in need of a new suit so I will be following along. Going to check your links too.

I've been looking for a pair of board shorts that have a swim bottom inside but haven't had much luck. I've found some board shorts but they don't always say if they have the bottom inside. Some of the long shorts do but I don't want long ones.

Found a style of top I like yesterday but haven't found the right color/pattern yet.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1365881163|3426313 said:
Good topic! I am in need of a new suit so I will be following along. Going to check your links too.

I've been looking for a pair of board shorts that have a swim bottom inside but haven't had much luck. I've found some board shorts but they don't always say if they have the bottom inside. Some of the long shorts do but I don't want long ones.

Found a style of top I like yesterday but haven't found the right color/pattern yet.

HI PR:

Glad this may be of some use to you--hope others will chime in to aid you!

You are not the only person to find boardshorts with no lining---I have to search on and on to find lined shorts for us all. Try ripzone and Volcom, O'Neill and Billibong. Incidentally, the last board shorts I bought were in the mens sections, since the girls boardshorts short were just too short for me.

Lsst time we were in Vegas, I had a long discussion with some guys next to us about short--they all loved Volcom! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Because I worship the sun--I need skin protection. Besides the topical sunscreen, I rely on rash guards from O'Neill; I have both long and short sleeves. All of my family wears them.

http://www.oneill.com/

My only tip for taking off rash guards is NOT to pull on them when wet--once stretched out....you are scr***ed.

cheers--Sharon

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I can't spend that much on swimwear, so I buy from Target and VS mostly. I have a bikini from Perry Ellis that I love, and I got them on sale for $30 total. I don't really swim in them though. I was wearing them to the kids' parent and me swim lessons and open swim at our community pool, or to hang out at the beach.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qtiekiki|1365883112|3426337 said:
I can't spend that much on swimwear, so I buy from Target and VS mostly. I have a bikini from Perry Ellis that I love, and I got them on sale for $30 total. I don't really swim in them though. I was wearing them to the kids' parent and me swim lessons and open swim at our community pool, or to hang out at the beach.

HI:

I always shop at Target when I am in the US--buy their Champion sports wear. Great stuff!

cheers--Sharon

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I love Violet Lake swimwear! The fabric is lush and I love mixing of top & bottom styles.
For surfing or kayaking I just add a rash guard. (The tops are lovely, but won't necessarily hold up in heavy surf.)

I also have an OndadeMar suit I really like.
I have not had much luck with one-pieces.

(I never realized you could get board shorts with liners, i admit at times i just wear my running shorts.)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harpertoo|1365885510|3426354 said:
I love Violet Lake swimwear! The fabric is lush and I love mixing of top & bottom styles.
For surfing or kayaking I just add a rash guard. (The tops are lovely, but won't necessarily hold up in heavy surf.)

I also have an OndadeMar suit I really like.
I have not had much luck with one-pieces.

(I never realized you could get board shorts with liners, i admit at times i just wear my running shorts.)

HI:

I nearly died when I saw that one piece--Caruso! UNREAL! :love: Thanks for the heads up..

http://www.violet-lake.com/

The one piece that I have that is cute and fits well is made by La Blanca.

cheers--Sharon

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will check those out, thanks Canuk-gal!

I found some at Hurley and Roxy but they don't say if they are lined or not...could always message and ask I guess.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1365891070|3426395 said:
Will check those out, thanks Canuk-gal!

I found some at Hurley and Roxy but they don't say if they are lined or not...could always message and ask I guess.

PR:

I have Roxy shorts that are NOT lined. Good luck on your search--the three pairs of lined shorts in my house (DH and DS's) are Billibong, Ripcurl and American Rag.

cheers--Sharon

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm..maybe I'll just have to find a pair and then get a bikini bottom to wear under.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of lined board shorts from Athleta that I bought a few years ago, not sure if they still carry them. My favorite suit is from lands end because I am deformed and wear different size tops then bottoms, it is a tankini with boy short bottems and then I got a tall top so it is nice and long and does not ride up. It gives me the coverage of a 1 piece but the ease of a 2 pc.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1365877303|3426269 said:
HI:

In what could be the most contentious issue of 2013, I'd like to discuss swimwear. :bigsmile:

And NO DF, don't ask for IRL pictures..... :rolleyes:

cheers--Sharon
:naughty: :lol:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love J. Crew bathing suits and have several in different colors. My fave top is the french top but they don't make it every season. (They used to!) And now they have free shipping both ways on swim, which is super convenient.

You can also catch them on sale for super cheap, particularly if you don't mind mixing and matching colors for tops and bottoms.

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh bathing suits! Fun topic. I have a few juicy couture but don't feel supported enough in them anymore, a combination of age, child birth and laziness has me needing to wear something that can uphold my frame'. Last year I found Jantzen suits, they are very well priced and have lots of heavy duty figure support. Here are a few fom eBay, mine are still packed up in the closet.

_5400.jpg

_5401.jpg

_5402.jpg

_5399.jpg

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Great thread, thanks Canuk.

Some beautiful suits posted, for sure, (even if $$$)

Say, do you all like the control material or not? I'm not saying that I couldn't use it but it makes me crazy. When I go to the pool or beach, I want to feel comfortable, not squeezed. It makes me crazy. I like a lightweight suit, too.

Canuk, do the TYR's have that squeezy material? Is the fabric lightweight, medium? I have a pool where I live so am always looking for good useable suits. Do you ever buy from swimoutlet?

-----------------

Kenny, thanks for the Wendy's commercial. You are a blast !

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the swim shorts from Athleta. You can order tops and bottoms separately. I order different patterns in the same color family. Makes it easy to switch out if only one piece is dry. LL Bean and Lands End have similar options, but not as many pattern choices. I think LL Bean has the best fit for a swim tank top option.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1365904313|3426498 said:
I love J. Crew bathing suits and have several in different colors. My fave top is the french top but they don't make it every season. (They used to!) And now they have free shipping both ways on swim, which is super convenient.

You can also catch them on sale for super cheap, particularly if you don't mind mixing and matching colors for tops and bottoms.

HI:

The are building a J. Crew in one of the big malls, soon we'll have access to their stuff. I am always on the lookout for reasonably priced suits!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SandyCheeks|1365908813|3426532 said:
Ooh bathing suits! Fun topic. I have a few juicy couture but don't feel supported enough in them anymore, a combination of age, child birth and laziness has me needing to wear something that can uphold my frame'. Last year I found Jantzen suits, they are very well priced and have lots of heavy duty figure support. Here are a few fom eBay, mine are still packed up in the closet.

SC:

Great suits--but how did you know the size if you bought online? I find swimwear notoriously unorthodox for sizing--even why I buy IRL I never know what size to ask for. I wore Jantzen suits for years--good quality!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonomacounty|1365951239|3426672 said:
Great thread, thanks Canuk.

Some beautiful suits posted, for sure, (even if $$$)

Say, do you all like the control material or not? I'm not saying that I couldn't use it but it makes me crazy. When I go to the pool or beach, I want to feel comfortable, not squeezed. It makes me crazy. I like a lightweight suit, too.

Canuk, do the TYR's have that squeezy material? Is the fabric lightweight, medium? I have a pool where I live so am always looking for good useable suits. Do you ever buy from swimoutlet?

-----------------

Kenny, thanks for the Wendy's commercial. You are a blast !

HI:

SC, I don't know about swimoutlet--is that an online store?

Personally, I don't like control suits--they also make me feel uncomfortable. The one-piece La Bianca suit I have has minimal control--as it has a super low scoop in the back--and cut out front. Technically shouldn't be classified as a onepiece!! :bigsmile:

As for the TYR suits--I would consider them nonsqueezy and med weight. The high polyester count gives them strength and shape/body but it is similar to a Speedo. There are newer fabrics out there--for high speed swimmers! ;)) . TYR has a variety of sizing which is nice--for longer torso's, etc. That is helpful. Some style designs--high cut thighs, deeper backs, yanno. I suspect Speedo does also, but I have not bought one is ages so cannot comment intelligently on their sizing or styling.

One thing I will be looking for in the future in my one piece suits for lane swimming/deep water class is a suit with a shelf. Prevent nipplegate and all that.... :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecogirl|1365896787|3426450 said:
I have a pair of lined board shorts from Athleta that I bought a few years ago, not sure if they still carry them. My favorite suit is from lands end because I am deformed and wear different size tops then bottoms, it is a tankini with boy short bottems and then I got a tall top so it is nice and long and does not ride up. It gives me the coverage of a 1 piece but the ease of a 2 pc.

HI ADG and Kgizo:

Your experiences appear similar--both like Athletica. Is this the group owned by Lululemon? I hae never owned any swimwear from them but if it is the same company their athletic wear is very fine quality (and no pun intended with the recent sheer tight issue!). I have had their yoga pants and tops for ages. They look new after a few years of wear.

Packrat--I don't know if you are still reading or have a Athletica near you--but it might be worth a peruse?

cheers--Sharon

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
SC, I don't know about swimoutlet--is that an online store?>

Yes,

http://www.swimoutlet.com/

I buy goggles & such from them. I've never gotten suits as the sizing is crazy.

Thanks for the input on the TYRs.

Personally, I don't like control suits--they also make me feel uncomfortable.

Ah ha, I didn't think I could be the only one who thought that. And they are most of what you see out there. :angryfire:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonomacounty|1365956063|3426711 said:
SC, I don't know about swimoutlet--is that an online store?>

Yes,

http://www.swimoutlet.com/

I buy goggles & such from them. I've never gotten suits as the sizing is crazy.

Thanks for the input on the TYRs.

Personally, I don't like control suits--they also make me feel uncomfortable.

Ah ha, I didn't think I could be the only one who thought that. And they are most of what you see out there. :angryfire:

Except for the istybitsyteenyweenieyellowpolkadotbikini :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh heck yeah, I'm still here. I've been obsessing for a while to find something, so I'm not going anywhere! I think I looked at Athleta last night but I was up super late w/about 5 windows open, browsing and pinning stuff to Pinterest so I didn't forget where they were, so I can't remember if I looked there or not.

I found some things on Zappos, even one pair that has a pair of tighter shorts under as a liner. What I'm going to do is get a plain ole bikini bottom from Target or someplace, to wear under a pair of board shorts, and then a tankini top of some sort..I want a little longer one so when I lift my arms things aren't showing all over. Now my conundrum is length of shorts. Husband says short ones, I think about 5" inseam. Maybe 3" would be ok, I dunno. I worry that when I walk, if they're too short, they'll do that not attractive bunching/ride up in between. I'm short, so lengths are different on me.

One thing I like about the idea is that I could wear it as an "outfit" to the amusement park this summer and not have to worry about being wet. And as I get more comfortable w/my body as I lose weight, I can take the shorts off at the pool instead of swimming in them.

I found some that are made in Hawaii. http://havaa.com/girls-boardshorts/girls-boardshorts.html

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results