carat
color
clarity

Swim/Beachwear

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1365972792|3426827 said:
I bought this one from http://www.retroswimwear.com last year and LOVE it! It was pricey, but all handmade, so totally worth it. And yes, that's me in it :wink2:
swimsuit.jpg

LM:

Awesome suit, cool print--you just made DF's day! :bigsmile: ;)) Love the retro styling...it is what attracted me to the Lepore suit I bought last year. Fits you very well!

cheers--Sharon

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In college (so... last year, and a while before that) I worked at a designer swimwear store, and before I worked there I modeled for them when they had events where they needed swimsuit models. So I've gathered a lot of knowledge about designer swimsuits and have tried on probably more swimsuits than most people do in their entire lives.

Some favorites:

Betsey Johnson - because I might as well look like a cupcake. Her bandeau top and skirted bottom is basically the cutest combo in history - her one-pieces with the skirts, though they look boxy on the hangar, make everyone look like they are the perfect hourglass shape.

Robin Piccone - the material is so soft, the push-up triangle tops are SO amazingly push-uppy, and the bottoms are covering without being frumpy.

Luli Fama - the push-up top is, hands-down, my favorite swimsuit top of all time on me personally (overall, my favorite is the Betsey bandeau), the ruffly bottoms are flattering, the patterns are eye-poppingly awesome. When they're not tacky. Okay so like half the Luli Fama line is tacky as heck, but the other half I could eat. Their coverups are no good though.

Vix/Hermanny by Vix - bright colors, comfortable, love the banded bottoms, but have to get pads to put in most of their tops and have to watch their bottoms for obvious cameltoe. So really I prefer their patterns to their solids.

Trina Turk - beautiful patterns, sell out SO FAST, but have to watch the patterns for color bleed when you wash them. Which is why I personally don't own any Trina - I'm waiting for a pattern that doesn't have any white in it.

Nanette Lepore - LOVE the patterns, am waiting to buy one until I can find one my boobs fit in. They are designed for abnormally flat folk.

canuk-gal|1365954872|3426702 said:
The one-piece La Bianca suit I have has minimal control--as it has a super low scoop in the back--and cut out front

LA BLANCA WITH AN L. OH MY GOD THIS PET PEEVE MAKES ME WANT TO MURDER PEOPLE. Hi uh. Just one time this one lady who was the worst customer ever kept calling them La Bianca, and no amount of trying to correct her would work, and she got mad at everything, and it was horrible.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those Betsey Johnson suits are so fricken cuuuuute! I don't have the body for them but daaaang if I can get this squishy one of mine back in shape I'd love to get one.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1365988675|3426939 said:
In college (so... last year, and a while before that) I worked at a designer swimwear store, and before I worked there I modeled for them when they had events where they needed swimsuit models. So I've gathered a lot of knowledge about designer swimsuits and have tried on probably more swimsuits than most people do in their entire lives.

Some favorites:

Betsey Johnson - because I might as well look like a cupcake. Her bandeau top and skirted bottom is basically the cutest combo in history - her one-pieces with the skirts, though they look boxy on the hangar, make everyone look like they are the perfect hourglass shape.

Robin Piccone - the material is so soft, the push-up triangle tops are SO amazingly push-uppy, and the bottoms are covering without being frumpy.

Luli Fama - the push-up top is, hands-down, my favorite swimsuit top of all time on me personally (overall, my favorite is the Betsey bandeau), the ruffly bottoms are flattering, the patterns are eye-poppingly awesome. When they're not tacky. Okay so like half the Luli Fama line is tacky as heck, but the other half I could eat. Their coverups are no good though.

Vix/Hermanny by Vix - bright colors, comfortable, love the banded bottoms, but have to get pads to put in most of their tops and have to watch their bottoms for obvious cameltoe. So really I prefer their patterns to their solids.

Trina Turk - beautiful patterns, sell out SO FAST, but have to watch the patterns for color bleed when you wash them. Which is why I personally don't own any Trina - I'm waiting for a pattern that doesn't have any white in it.

Nanette Lepore - LOVE the patterns, am waiting to buy one until I can find one my boobs fit in. They are designed for abnormally flat folk.

canuk-gal|1365954872|3426702 said:
The one-piece La Bianca suit I have has minimal control--as it has a super low scoop in the back--and cut out front

LA BLANCA WITH AN L. OH MY GOD THIS PET PEEVE MAKES ME WANT TO MURDER PEOPLE. Hi uh. Just one time this one lady who was the worst customer ever kept calling them La Bianca, and no amount of trying to correct her would work, and she got mad at everything, and it was horrible.

HI D:

Thanks for the review! An obvious typo--please don't murder anyone! :lol: I am not abnormally flat (c cup) or abnormal in any other way I can think :cheeky: , yet can wear NL suits: but as you've pointed out, swimwear can be very particular (fitting) garments and the reason shopping and fitting one can be very frustrating. And rewarding if you find ones that "work". :)) or need to be worked.

Case in point, I had to have that La Blanca :saint: suit altered as I was in between sizes. I went to a tailor that specialized in swimwear alterations because of the type of machine you need, etc etc. The alterations were half the price of the suit and I nearly died. At any rate, it is a perfect fit now. Didn't start out that way....

cheers--Sharon

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm amazed that you all WEAR bathing suits...good for you...I avoid wearing one at all costs... :sick:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1365994677|3426985 said:
I'm amazed that you all WEAR bathing suits...good for you...I avoid wearing one at all costs... :sick:

Same here. No one needs to see my beached whale physique! :cheeky:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1365992263|3426972 said:
I am not abnormally flat (c cup) or abnormal in any other way I can think :cheeky: , yet can wear NL suits: but as you've pointed out, swimwear can be very particular (fitting) garments and the reason shopping and fitting one can be very frustrating. And rewarding if you find ones that "work". :)) or need to be worked.

Case in point, I had to have that La Blanca :saint: suit altered as I was in between sizes. I went to a tailor that specialized in swimwear alterations because of the type of machine you need, etc etc. The alterations were half the price of the suit and I nearly died. At any rate, it is a perfect fit now. Didn't start out that way....

Yessss swimwear is so finicky to fit because it has to fit your body just right. I am a 30DD so have to have things that are relatively small around the chest but still roomy enough for boobs - which is much of the issue with the Nanette Lepore. I always end up either having nipple overflow (in the underwire/molded cup tops) or being smushed (in the regular triangle tops). idk, they just don't fit me right.

People are always SHOCKED that you can alter swimsuits. It's like... it's still made of cloth, yeah? I think it's worth it with a swimsuit to have one that fits right... it looks SO much better when it's not too tight, not too loose, and hugs you in the right places. And La Blanca swimwear has really nice classic outlines. It's very good for people who like to look less cupcakey than I do. The nicer Gottex suits are also good if you like La Blanca - their ombre patterns are killer. If you have the sort of basic ruched La Blanca, the Badgley Mischka suits are often of a similar style but more satiny material and with thicker shoulder straps (I can't recall offhand if they're adjustable - I do know some people who have had them taken up a bit though). Like La Blanca, their tankinis look basically like their one-pieces but give the option of having different sizes if you need them.

Here are some of the ones I have that I could find online:

My fave from last year: http://www.dillards.com/product/Betsey-Johnson-Pinwheel-PolkaDot-Ruffle-Swimdress_301_-1_301_503108240
I have every piece of this collection except the cover ups: http://www.lulifama.com/category/L272.html
Vitamin A makes the best monokinis for me (I have it in royal blue): http://www.everythingbutwater.com/browse/products/vitamin-a/noir/44329+07mnor.html
AND Vitamin A makes the cutest coverups: http://www.southbeachswimsuits.com/vitamin-a-gold-2012-paradise-plunge-tunic-in-cobalt-9tubhs.html (seriously buy this one if you want a good coverup! The fancier zigzaggy ones are nice too, but twice the price. And they're easy to wear over a tank top and leggings as a regular item of clothing)

aaaaaaaah now I want to go swimsuit shopping. Too bad I'm honeymooning in Scotland and don't NEED to buy new suits for the honeymoon!
This omggggg: http://www.everythingbutwater.com/swimwear/browse/products/betsey-johnson/petticoat/52375+2323132+465.html
And this Karla, unf: http://www.everythingbutwater.com/swimwear/browse/products/karla-colletto/ombre/51220+237-n60+392.html
But next on my list to buy is a Vix, so probably I won't get either of those two. I'm trying not to get TOO many of the same brand, just for the sake of variety.

Anyway... I could talk about swimsuits all day...

Snowy

Shiny_Rock
Used to wear all Victoria Secret swimsuits. And Vix for the most part it also too skimpy for me but the ones i only see ariund is the two piece sliding triangle tops. I just prefer going into the department stores and testing out random ones! I have better luck that way for some reason and find more moderate ones with a bit more coverage. And I LOVE cover ups since I'm more of a lying on the beach/ staying in the pool or poolside than in the sea.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Distracts--you have provided great information!! At the risk of dating myself--I used to wear Gottex when I wanted a totally "swank" suit, but now there seems to be more competition for decorated, nicely made suits.

Do you wear any Seafolly? They always have cute styles and I only have one bandeau, which I bought on sale as they always seem to be highly priced.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowy|1366061480|3427530 said:
Used to wear all Victoria Secret swimsuits. And Vix for the most part it also too skimpy for me but the ones i only see ariund is the two piece sliding triangle tops. I just prefer going into the department stores and testing out random ones! I have better luck that way for some reason and find more moderate ones with a bit more coverage. And I LOVE cover ups since I'm more of a lying on the beach/ staying in the pool or poolside than in the sea.

Snowy:

I've tried on a few VS suits--but they are always sold out in my size....they go quickly it seems. Good price point but I can't speak to fabric quality or anything for that matter.

I adore Vix halter tops because the triangles are moveable. I despise side boobage and Vix stretches riiiigghttt over--or at least for me. And they don't move unless you reshape them. But I didn't like the pad inserts or pancakes or whatever those things are called, I ususally get rid of them.

cheers--Sharon

Snowy

Shiny_Rock
I'll have to try them again! My issue with Vix is that that my ribcage size is extremely small, so would have to wear their smallest size to even think about fitting, but then the smaller size I get, it means the triangles are also smaller which mean that it's not enough coverage. Do you do insert something else besides those inserts? I need lined fabric but it seems so thin without the inserts! Women look fantastic in Vix so I'm definitely willing to try again... but cringe at ordering online since I'd have to pay return shipping fees if not bought from a department store. If I ever get to go to the beach that is.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
LM that suit is adorable!

Suits like that and he Betsey Johnson ones...are they actually made to swim in, or more for hanging out by the pool?

I pinned a suit on Pinterest last night from Sea Folley-will be looking more at them to see what else they have.

It'll take me a month of obsessive research before I can bring myself to get anything.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1366075911|3427669 said:
LM that suit is adorable!

Suits like that and he Betsey Johnson ones...are they actually made to swim in, or more for hanging out by the pool?

I pinned a suit on Pinterest last night from Sea Folley-will be looking more at them to see what else they have.

It'll take me a month of obsessive research before I can bring myself to get anything.

HI:

Research is good! I can't speak to all the suits out there, but I find most suits are swimming friendly. The ones with big ruffles in the front might not be conducive to lane swimming...but most fit snugly and don't move when having fun. Remember, when trying them on IRL--you can move around in the change room. If you lift up your arm--and the top POPS off, then don't buy it! ;)) :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1366063459|3427555 said:
Do you wear any Seafolly? They always have cute styles and I only have one bandeau, which I bought on sale as they always seem to be highly priced.

I don't have any Seafolly, though I've tried a lot of it on. I'm very petite and their suits have a lot of material, so they're not my top choice just because they kind of overwhelm me. I looooooove their goddess bandeau top - is that the one you have? It looks great on people, and I love that you can tie it a million different ways. It's one I've considered buying but the store I worked at only ever carried it in black... I really like it in the other colors though! Another good thing about the line is that their tankinis are often longer, so really good for tall people.

packrat|1366075911|3427669 said:
Suits like that and the Betsey Johnson ones...are they actually made to swim in, or more for hanging out by the pool?

Yes, they are actually for swimming. With the caveat that it is advisable, if you want them to last beyond one season, that you not wear them in the hot tub. The combination of chlorine and heat is very, very bad for fabric and will cause it to stretch out/lose elasticity. I have a few cheap Target suits to wear in the hot tub. Even my white regular suits last about three to four years of summer swimming in the pool, with proper cleaning (no detergent, just gentle swimsuit cleaner, and absolutely no washing machines or dryers).

Snowy|1366072375|3427617 said:
I'll have to try them again! My issue with Vix is that that my ribcage size is extremely small, so would have to wear their smallest size to even think about fitting, but then the smaller size I get, it means the triangles are also smaller which mean that it's not enough coverage. Do you do insert something else besides those inserts? I need lined fabric but it seems so thin without the inserts! Women look fantastic in Vix so I'm definitely willing to try again... but cringe at ordering online since I'd have to pay return shipping fees if not bought from a department store. If I ever get to go to the beach that is.

Most Vix suits tie so that really shouldn't be a problem? I get larger tops than I do bottoms - in Vix I am usually an XS bottom but medium or large top (medium in regular sliding triangle and bandeau, but large in the ruffled sliding triangles, which are cut smaller). And I definitely need to put the padded inserts in, lol, unless I want to be high-beaming everybody. If they don't come with them, you can ask the store if they have any free ones - enough people are like Canuck-gal and don't like them and pull them out before they even leave the store, that most swimsuit stores I've been to usually have a bag of them in the back and they can pull some out for you. There are also more padded inserts you can buy... I have some silicone ones for my monokini because for some reason it makes me look flat without them, haha. When buying my own, I prefer the silicone to the foam... it's heavier but it doesn't absorb water.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Distracts

You should have started this thread! Although people are not contributing I'll bet they are reading as your posts are very informative! :appl:

And no that is not the Seafolly I own--but that is a stunner. Gorgeous flow and would provide a nice shape up top. I must go and try one on!

As for small rib cages--I too have that issue--but don't have problems with Vix, etc for the reason Dsitracts describes--the halters can be tied as much or little as you want. The other thing is I like are the wider straps--stays in place.

As I own multiple suits--mine don't get as worn out should I only have one. But again agree with the chemicals, etc. Sand and sunscreen is also unfriendly to suits--but it is a sacrifice I don't mind making!

Does anyone have advice on great looking and functional sun hats??????

cheers--Sharon

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1366143247|3428322 said:

Let's not even START on my sun hat collection. :roll: I'll just add that my favorite brand overall is Florabella, but a lot of people get sticker-shock looking at them. San Diego Hat's basic wide brim hats are good, and are found at Tuesday Morning/Kohls/etc often enough on discount, and are only like $40 full-price anyway. The San Diego Hat roll-up visor is surprisingly cute if you want something you can easily stick in your purse.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1366143247|3428322 said:
HI:

Distracts

You should have started this thread! Although people are not contributing I'll bet they are reading as your posts are very informative! :appl:

And no that is not the Seafolly I own--but that is a stunner. Gorgeous flow and would provide a nice shape up top. I must go and try one on!

As for small rib cages--I too have that issue--but don't have problems with Vix, etc for the reason Dsitracts describes--the halters can be tied as much or little as you want. The other thing is I like are the wider straps--stays in place.

As I own multiple suits--mine don't get as worn out should I only have one. But again agree with the chemicals, etc. Sand and sunscreen is also unfriendly to suits--but it is a sacrifice I don't mind making!

cheers--Sharon

yep I am definitely reading all of YOUR posts!!! lol

Very Very informative!!! I also do vickies, my problem is get the appropriate size to fit my hips :( !!!

I love that one piece on Unique Vintage!!! I have bookmarked this site !!

Thanks for the info!!! :appl: :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok well, then I *really* need to get myself into shape b/c I want to wear one of those super cute suits!

I found some Hapari tankini tops, and a Hurley one that I liked, but they're not in the size I think will work for me. I like the ones that are longer, or that have the ties that you can make it longer/shorter on the sides at least. And ones that are a little higher on top since my lopsidedness does not make for loverly cleavage.

I was going to link my pinterest board and get thoughts on what I've found so far but I forget my name is on it, dangit.

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal|1365953777|3426694 said:
thing2of2|1365904313|3426498 said:
I love J. Crew bathing suits and have several in different colors. My fave top is the french top but they don't make it every season. (They used to!) And now they have free shipping both ways on swim, which is super convenient.

You can also catch them on sale for super cheap, particularly if you don't mind mixing and matching colors for tops and bottoms.

HI:

The are building a J. Crew in one of the big malls, soon we'll have access to their stuff. I am always on the lookout for reasonably priced suits!

cheers--Sharon
thing2, I love J. Crew bathing suits too! What I like about J. Crew is that they have bottoms that are more modest coverage than regular bikinis. Those sell out fast in my size, so I usually just buy them early in the season. I like the french top, too. I got their Italian partnership pieces this year (can't remember the name), and they are super flattering on!

Sharon, I was told by my local J. Crew that they don't carry the swimwear line in-store, but they offer free shipping and returns like thing2 said.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sapphirering|1366214071|3428943 said:
canuk-gal|1365953777|3426694 said:
thing2of2|1365904313|3426498 said:
I love J. Crew bathing suits and have several in different colors. My fave top is the french top but they don't make it every season. (They used to!) And now they have free shipping both ways on swim, which is super convenient.

You can also catch them on sale for super cheap, particularly if you don't mind mixing and matching colors for tops and bottoms.

HI:

The are building a J. Crew in one of the big malls, soon we'll have access to their stuff. I am always on the lookout for reasonably priced suits!

cheers--Sharon
thing2, I love J. Crew bathing suits too! What I like about J. Crew is that they have bottoms that are more modest coverage than regular bikinis. Those sell out fast in my size, so I usually just buy them early in the season. I like the french top, too. I got their Italian partnership pieces this year (can't remember the name), and they are super flattering on!

Sharon, I was told by my local J. Crew that they don't carry the swimwear line in-store, but they offer free shipping and returns like thing2 said.

Thank you for his information SER. Saves me a future trip.

Incidentally, how do you know the proper size if you cannot try them on locally? I must admit you and Thing2 are much braver than I buying online, fit untried. I always get the sizing wrong even when I am shopping IRL--and as we've all experieenced suits are very individual for shape and fit.

cheers--Sharon

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal|1366217987|3429008 said:
Thank you for his information SER. Saves me a future trip.

Incidentally, how do you know the proper size if you cannot try them on locally? I must admit you and Thing2 are much braver than I buying online, fit untried. I always get the sizing wrong even when I am shopping IRL--and as we've all experieenced suits are very individual for shape and fit.

cheers--Sharon

Well, it's a bit of hit and miss because J Crew isn't consistent with their sizing. Last year I ordered a bikini bottom in medium, and I swear it was like a size 10. (I'm size 4.) But since I go to the mall occasionally, it wasn't a big hassle to return items. I have a pretty straight forward body shape- as in I'm pretty straight up and down. :rolleyes: So buying online is pretty easy for me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh I saw the Seafolly Goddess Bandeau top iRL today--gorgeous! $122 Canadian....uh, NO thanks. :rolleyes:

cheers--Sharon

Malbec54

Shiny_Rock
Last season I searched high and low for bathing suits, and I have to agree with you about VIX ---they are awesome, albeit a bit pricey. Extremely comfy, flattering and I felt "secure" that everything was "in place." Lol
I've never had great success with VS, JCrew or any other brands for that matter lately.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Malbec54|1366330946|3430136 said:
Last season I searched high and low for bathing suits, and I have to agree with you about VIX ---they are awesome, albeit a bit pricey. Extremely comfy, flattering and I felt "secure" that everything was "in place." Lol
I've never had great success with VS, JCrew or any other brands for that matter lately.

HI:

Glad you like Vix--when you find something that works in swimwear, ya just gotta go with it!

Tried on some Victoria Secret sparkly bandeau's today---they DID not come home with me. Ne pas la la

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Packrat--did you ever find any good shorts/swimwear? Since I was recently impaled by the wire on my Vix bandeau, I am in the market for something new. Neiman Marcus has their swim stuff on sale, and is very tempting--limited sizing and styles yet there remains a decent selection.

cheers--Sharon.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like I posted before, but don't see anything...
I actually really like the gap one piece swimsuits. They are on the pricey side so I often "stalk" them until they fall in price.
Right now I have a couple 1 piece suits. However I would like to have a tank top with shorts combo, but it seems any shorts bottom =$$ (at least $40) so I just can't seem to bite the bullet on this, knowing I will also need a top with it.

So I saw the suggestion for boy's/men shorts, any other ideas?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1373318506|3479299 said:
I feel like I posted before, but don't see anything...
I actually really like the gap one piece swimsuits. They are on the pricey side so I often "stalk" them until they fall in price.
Right now I have a couple 1 piece suits. However I would like to have a tank top with shorts combo, but it seems any shorts bottom =$$ (at least $40) so I just can't seem to bite the bullet on this, knowing I will also need a top with it.

So I saw the suggestion for boy's/men shorts, any other ideas?

HI:

Have you seen anything at H & M? I was there within the last two weeks and items were sold out, but reasonably priced. Can't speak to their quality, unfortunately, but I will say their sizing was "smaller" than what I am accustomed to in suits.

cheers--Sharon

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal, I've found several things I've been debating on but haven't tried anything yet. I'm still wearing my suit from Land's End from last year, but it's just up to my Gramma's and only family that sees me so I don't feel bad. Taking the kids up in a sec to swim, but will post the things I've found when I get back. Some board shorts and tankini tops basically..tops that look more like regular shirts, kind of the blouson look. Shorts, since I'm so short, are hard to gauge the length on. (and, I'm trying to find the least expensive combination that I can of course!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results