shape
carat
color
clarity

Surprising summer PSA: How to spot drowning

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe you all know this, but I was clueless.

Quote, " Drowning is almost always a deceptively quiet event.
The waving, splashing, and yelling that dramatic conditioning (television) prepares us to look for is rarely seen in real life."

... of the approximately 750 children who will drown next year, about 375 of them will do so within 25 yards of a parent or other adult.
In some of those drownings, the adult will actually watch the child do it, having no idea it is happening.*
Drowning does not look like drowning—

Learn what drowning really looks like ...

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/family/2013/06/rescuing_drowning_children_how_to_know_when_someone_is_in_trouble_in_the.html

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
yep, that is the first thing you learn in lifeguard class.
Someone vertical and low in in the water is the first thing to watch for someone being in trouble.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
We had a small child die here last summer from drowning during a summer camp. It occurred in a pool full of people. So sad and it makes me terrified to send my kids off to summer camp where there is a pool/swimming involved. I saw the info on how to spot drowning last year - they aired it on the Today Show and it was very informative.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting this Kenny - I had no idea. Neither did DH.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the PSA Kenny, very good to know.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many thanks Kenny and SMC!! I always watch my kiddos like a hawk, but it sounds like I've been watching for the wrong signs! Thank you for possibly saving a life!!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I have followed Mario Vittone (the author of the article Kenny linked) on Facebook for a few years. His articles on water safety are amazingly informative and educational. I have learned so much about pool, boating, and sailing safety. It's well worth the time to read his other articles. The one Kenny linked always bears repeating. I'm off to repost it on my fb page.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Sadly, the silence and stillness of drowning is true. This happened to a nephew of a friend of ours. Huge family gathering. A dozen plus adults and a couple dozen kids. Everyone visiting and enjoying the day. Many in the pool and around the pool. All while a five year old boy drowned. There were swimmers within a few feet right there in the pool the entire time. The child was able to swim and no one knows exactly what happened. So awful.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
SMC|1400874899|3678973 said:
Anyone who has a drowning event needs to go to the ER to get checked out even if they appear to be fine.
We were required to call an ambulance even if they appeared fine and objected.
The alarm button on the lifeguard stands automatically called 911.
Once the ambulance was there they or the parents could refuse treatment if they wanted.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew about the PSA Kenny posted, but I was not aware of secondary drowning and what signs to watch for/steps to take. Glad I read this thread today, thanks for posting these links. We are headed to the lake later so just in time!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great links!

I'll pass on to others too. I knew about the drowning signs but hadn't heard of secondary drowning.

Living in western WA, water is a big part of life around here. So many die each year :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results