shape
carat
color
clarity

Sunscreen recommendations?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd really appreciate some sunscreen recommendations, both for regular and waterproof formulas. I wear a lot of scoop and V-neck shirts in the summer, and my neck and chest areas pick up color very easily. So, I'm looking for something I can use in this area that won't look gooey or shiny and won't rub off on clothing too easily... and of course that's effective as a sunblock. I've been using Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, but it stays shiny forever and does rub off on the necklines of my clothing.

Thanks!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Nature's Gate Sport Block unscented spf 50.

It helps if it isn't too cold otherwise it can be difficult to rub in. Not greasy or shiny at all and very unscented.

I think I got it at Whole Foods.

glitterpants

Rough_Rock
I use Ocean Potion anti-aging spf 50 on my body. It isn't greasy, absorbs quickly but does have an orange scent.
I use Etna MD clear spf 46 on my face/neck. Just make sure your sunblock not only blocks UVB but also UVA rays because they cause wrinkles and sun spots.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Cotz products for everyday and Vanicream spf 60 (though it might be renamed spf 50 plus now) for longer outdoor activities.

Both are mineral sunblocks and free of chemicals which are the only types of sunscreen I can tolerate due to my eczema.

http://www.cotzskincare.com/product/cotz-sensitive-for-special-skin-types-conditions-spf-40-contains-zinc/

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=99087/Vanicream-SPF-60-Sensitive-Skin-Sunscreen-/Unlisted-Brand/Sunscreen

I use the Cotz sensitive sunblock for my face every day and it is not greasy and I use Vanicream spf 60 for sensitive skin (might be called spf 50 plus now) for my body (but this is somewhat greasy so not sure it would work for you) when I am outside for long periods of time doing activities and I will also use the vanicream spf 60 for my face when outside for longer periods of time.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been using Banana Boat Sport this summer and I like it. It rubs in easily and it doesn't feel greasy, which is great. That's been my biggest bone of contention, finding non-greasy lotions and sunscreens.

I've heard that using anything higher than SPF 35 isn't really that helpful, but I think I've been using 50 anyway. It's a mind thing.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried every sunscreen under the sun. ::)

None are perfect.

I am very light skinned.

Here are the ones I've been using lately that I really like:

Blue Lizard Sensitive - (you can pick it up at Buy Buy Baby) slight scent, not shiny at all, easy to spread. Use it for my chest, neck, arms, hands. I've even used it on my face. Of course starts out whiteish but it does absorb and it's just a very very slight whiteish cast, almost none. The only thing I don't like is that the Titanium Dioxide in this formula is nano-sized. But like I said - no sunscreen is perfect.

MDSolarSciences - any of their sunscreens. By far the most cosmetically elegant finish I've seen. I use the SPF 30 tinted one for my face for when I need to look good or wear makeup on top of it, and the untinted either the SPF 30 or SPF 50 for face or my chest again for when I need to look nice and don't want to look sunscreen-y in any way.

The only thing I do notice is that if I wear these sunscreens for extended periods of time - say every day for a week - my skin seems a little drier.

http://www.sephora.com/mineral-tinted-cr-me-broad-spectrum-spf-30-uva-uvb-sunscreen-P383593?skuId=1574227&om_mmc=ppc-GG&mkwid=BP3LCGdz&pcrid=45181943919&pdv=c&site=us_search&country_switch=us&lang=en

http://www.sephora.com/mineral-cr-me-broad-spectrum-spf-50-uva-uvb-sunscreen-P383591?icid2=mdsolarsciences_sunscreen_carousel_P383591_link

http://www.sephora.com/mineral-creme-broad-spectrum-spf-30-uva-uvb-sunscreen-P386796?icid2=mdsolarsciences_sunscreen_carousel_P386796_image

Topix Replenix Physical Sunscreen - Another one I really like. Has a slight slight creamy tint to it so it doesn't make you look white. Easy to spread, I use it on my face or neck or chest.
http://www.skinstore.com/p-19301-topix-replenix-sheer-physical-sunscreen-cream-spf-50.aspx

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1405679389|3715703 said:
I like Cotz products for everyday and Vanicream spf 60 (though it might be renamed spf 50 plus now) for longer outdoor activities.

Both are mineral sunblocks and free of chemicals which are the only types of sunscreen I can tolerate due to my eczema.

http://www.cotzskincare.com/product/cotz-sensitive-for-special-skin-types-conditions-spf-40-contains-zinc/

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=99087/Vanicream-SPF-60-Sensitive-Skin-Sunscreen-/Unlisted-Brand/Sunscreen

I use the Cotz sensitive sunblock for my face every day and it is not greasy and I use Vanicream spf 60 for sensitive skin (might be called spf 50 plus now) for my body (but this is somewhat greasy so not sure it would work for you) when I am outside for long periods of time doing activities and I will also use the vanicream spf 60 for my face when outside for longer periods of time.

I've been wanting to try to the Cotz brand...Missy do you find that it leaves a ghostly white cast at all? Do you like the finish of it?

(sorry for the threadjack OP - I'm hoping Missy's answer is helpful to you as well)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use No-AD sunscreen. It was recommended by Consumer Reports as best sunscreen currently on the market. It doesn't smell, sinks it quickly, not sticky and doesn't irritate my skin like other brands. It comes in multiple SPF ratings but I usually use 35 unless we're on an tropical vacation and then I use 85.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CeraVe's new one has had good reviews; I've had good luck with Vanicream and the newest Neutrogena products with zinc oxide.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1405697403|3715882 said:
I've been wanting to try to the Cotz brand...Missy do you find that it leaves a ghostly white cast at all? Do you like the finish of it?

(sorry for the threadjack OP - I'm hoping Missy's answer is helpful to you as well)

No problem - a dialogue is good!

Missy - I think per Missy's discussion that I do need a barrier-type product rather than a chemical block for my neck area. I've been noticing that the skin there gets very sensitive, feeling almost like I already have a sunburn, from the sunblocks I've been using.

Please keep the suggestions coming, and especially what you like (or not) about the products you're using. Also it does look like the Vanicream Missy mentioned has changed formulations in the past year or so - has anyone bought it recently?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1405698539|3715900 said:

OK, great VR! :appl: :appl:

Missy - I think per Missy's discussion that I do need a barrier-type product rather than a chemical block for my neck area. I've been noticing that the skin there gets very sensitive, feeling almost like I already have a sunburn, from the sunblocks I've been using.

Yes and remember that chemical sunscreens work by allowing the rays to penetrate the skin and there are some disadvantages to that (I did the research a long time ago so I can't recall those reasons right now, I just now that I stay away from chemical sunscreens as much as possible, even though usually their "finish" is better).

Please keep the suggestions coming, and especially what you like (or not) about the products you're using. Also it does look like the Vanicream Missy mentioned has changed formulations in the past year or so - has anyone bought it recently?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OK, great VR! :appl: :appl:

Yes and remember that chemical sunscreens work by allowing the rays to penetrate the skin (eta rather than blocking the rays like physical sunscreens) and there are some disadvantages to that (I did the research a long time ago so I can't recall those reasons right now, I just now that I stay away from chemical sunscreens as much as possible, even though usually their "finish" is better).

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The discussion of physical vs chemical sunscreens is very interesting to me. I've also read that physical ones are better but they make me breakout very rapidly and intensely. It takes days then for my skin to calm down. I wonder if it's the combination of ingredients or just a reaction to physical sunscreen. Wonder if anyone has done a lot of research on this and can post some thoughts.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1405699036|3715910 said:
The discussion of physical vs chemical sunscreens is very interesting to me. I've also read that physical ones are better but they make me breakout very rapidly and intensely. It takes days then for my skin to calm down. I wonder if it's the combination of ingredients or just a reaction to physical sunscreen. Wonder if anyone has done a lot of research on this and can post some thoughts.

The main ingredients in physical sunscreens are Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide.

Either of those could be the culprit, or like you said, any of the other ingredients. It's really really hard to pinpoint specific ingredients that may be giving you problems.

But one thing you can do is try a sunscreen with JUST zinc oxide (and minimal extra ingredients) and see what happens.

If nothing, then you can guess that it may be the Titanium Dioxide...if you have a reaction, you can do the opposite...try one with just Titanium Dioxide...

But - it's really hard - because it could by any of the other ingredients too. But at least it gives you a baseline to go from.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So my skin is ultra sensitive and I break out at the least bit of irritation and I am very reactive to most things. I wear a minimum of anything (besides sunscreen and moisturizer) on my face.

My thoughts: Vanicream had to change what they put on the label if I am remembering correctly because the FDA found that anything above 50 spf could not be proven or something like that but I am unsure if they changed the formulation. I would be interested if anyone finds this out.

Keep in mind that for well over 15 years (I think it was at least that long) I have been using Vanicream and I have maintained my very pale complexion and minimized and skin color and otherwise changes. And the fact that until very recently I was an outdoors person whenever the weather permitted and would be out cycling etc for 8 plus hours a day. And I also have a weird skin reaction called PLE which means I am very intolerant of the sun and get a terrible rash when exposed. The Vanicream kept me safe through it all-eczema, rosacea and PLE. So if the formulation is the same I recommend at least trying it. It is not expensive and despite it being greasy it was super protective and that is obviously key in any sunscreen and if you have sensitive skin it isn't always easy to find something that you can tolerate.

As for the Cotz I started using that a few years ago just for my face when I was not planning on being out many hours at a time. That is I wear it under makeup when going out casually. CJ, make sure to try the transparent Cotz. There are a number of different products but the one I use has no tint. It goes on white but as you apply it disappears and is clear. It's a lovely consistency and I do not find it greasy. I do have very dry skin however so ymmv and as with all things like this trying is the only way to know for sure since we all react differently to these topicals.

baby monster said:

That is interesting baby monster and I wonder what else might be in the physical sunscreens you are using. Some of them are not purely physical and they sneak other chemical ingredients in and wow I react intensely to those. The itching persists for days and you can believe I have not made that mistake again. Do you remember which physical sunscreens you have tried that have caused a reaction?

Also, as CJ wrote, physical sunscreens usually have one or both ingredients-titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. I agree with her in that if you can try each of these separately to see if you might be reacting to one of these and then if so you can just buy a sunscreen to the ingredient you are not reacting to...

ETA: here is a website you might find helpful. Truthfully I do not buy into the fact the extreme thinking in some cases on this website but it is helpful in many instances. And fwiw I don't remember what they rated my sunscreens and it doesn't matter to me because they work for me and I have crazy sensitive skin and sometimes you have to choose your battles. Hope this is helpful.
http://www.ewg.org/2014sunscreen/the-trouble-with-sunscreen-chemicals/

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I apply sunscreen daily, without fail. While I regularly try new products/varieties, I've found that I do not care for waterproof formulations at all, nor physical-barrier sunscreens. I prefer sunscreens with Avobenzone (Parsol 1789).

For the last couple years I favored Clinique's SuperDefense AgeDefense SPF 25, but they recently changed the formula and now it has a lower SPF and a different "feel" so I've been experimenting with various products trying to find my new "go to" sunscreen.

I bought a full-size Loreal Bienfait Multi-Vital cream SPF 30 and liked it a lot, but I've come to realize it may be best to keep it for wintertime and to find a lighter formula for summertime.

I have Sephora's Sun Safety Kit 2014 which has a lot of different products and I'm slowing wading through these samples to see if any of them are right for me.

I will keep following this thread and will try some of the sunscreens recommended - thanks OP for creating this topic!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for feedback, missy and CJ2008. I've done some ingredient reading on the sunscreens that I had issues with and it seems that they had either high levels of titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, 11% in both. I have 1 sunscreen which has a mix of 1% titanium dioxide and chemical blockers. It does not make me break out. So I'm not sure whether it's the concentration of TD or ZO or some other inactive ingredient mixed in with physical blockers. It would be very hard to test that out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results