shape
carat
color
clarity

Stuffing:how do you make it?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the recipe, Alj! It looks great!

The recipe I have is one my mom makes, and it's basically just onions, celery, thyme, sage, cubed white bread, butter, and salt and pepper to taste. I'd like to try it with nuts and/or dried cranberries some day.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't use a recipe. I googled "vegan stuffing" (oxymoron but it exists) and made my own version from there. I used bread cubes/seasoning mix from the deli at my local supermarket, a container of vegetable broth, sliced white button mushrooms, diced carrots, sliced celery, and melted butter (while sauteeing the veggies). That's it, turned out great. First time I've ever made stuffing. I might add cranberries next time, but honestly I like it with a spoonful of cranberry sauce on top, so, same-ish.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I usually saute onion and celery in plenty of butter, add chicken stock and bread cubes and salt and pepper. Sometimes I add the dried cranberries and sometimes mushrooms. Add plenty of sage...mmmm sage. I like to bake it in the turkey (don't pre-stuff, as that can cause food borne illness). I like it wetter than some do. it always surprises me how families vary with preferred dressing consistency.

My brother made a CRAZY DELICIOUS Chorizo and whole grain bread stuffing that was fabulous. We had 2 dinners this year, so darling brother did a stuffed pork tenderloin with the spicy stuffing. Caliente! It had onion and green peppers. I'm not sure what else. Not sure brother knows either, I think he had an impassioned, inspired cooking frenzy. Everyone approved.

This year I scored a recipe online for yeast rolls. This will work in a bread machine or with the Kitchenaid with a dough hook. Rich buttery slightly chewy, sweet yeasty rolls. Really easy too:
3/4 cup warm milk, 2.5 tsp yeast, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg, 2.5 cups high gluten flour. Put milk, sugar,butter together in the microwave for 1/2 minute or so...til about bath temp (warm but not too hot). Add egg and whisk. Stir in yeast and let it set for 15 minutes. Come back and slowly add flour and salt and knead until elastic. let rise til double, punch down and divide into 12. Roll into balls and let them rise. bake at 400 for 13-15 minutes. Keep an eye on the bottom and cook on a Pizza stone if you have one. Brush finished golden rolls with butter. NOM. Sounds labor intensive but honestly it takes little prep time. In the bread machine on dough cycle, I added dry ingredients on the bottom and added wet warm ingredients ontop. They are wonderful.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1417472345|3793486 said:

The recipe I have is one my mom makes, and it's basically just onions, celery, thyme, sage, cubed white bread, butter, and salt and pepper to taste. I'd like to try it with nuts and/or dried cranberries some day.

Try Leeks, pine-nuts (toast them first) and dried cranberries. AND sausage. I use the smoke chicken apple sausage (we have a lot of folks who don't eat pork in my family) .

Highly recommend. I get raves every year, and people fight over the left overs (so I make a lot each year now)... but this year EVERY SINGLE PERSON wanted leftovers, even people who were flying home the next day!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1417498187|3793720 said:
Zoe|1417472345|3793486 said:

Try Leeks, pine-nuts (toast them first) and dried cranberries. AND sausage. I use the smoke chicken apple sausage (we have a lot of folks who don't eat pork in my family) .

Highly recommend. I get raves every year, and people fight over the left overs (so I make a lot each year now)... but this year EVERY SINGLE PERSON wanted leftovers, even people who were flying home the next day!

I'll try that next time, Gypsy. I think we're having a turkey dinner for Christmas since Thanksgiving was sort of ruined this year. We had a bunch of snow fall, causing state-wide power outages for a few days. We ended up at a restaurant this year.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results