shape
carat
color
clarity

Stand-In Rings

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've noticed that stand-in rings have skyrocketed in popularity. I guess we have some B-list celebrities to thank for that. Meh, it's all bling to me ;)) (ducks for cover from the sim-loathers).

I have a question, though. What the hell is the point of having a stand-in, you know, for "safety reason", if the stand-in is just as obnoxiously big? Or worse, I've seen people who have stand-ins that are even more ostentatious than their real jewelry!

Can we talk about this? I have scratched my head at Kim Kardashian and some of those Real Housewives of(insert whatever city here) "celebrities" talking about their stand-in rings. What the heck is the point? Then I figure, well, at least these rich people can afford security teams and have paparazzi following their tail, so if anyone were to try and maul them, it would be really really hard.

But what about normal people? Wha?!?

I mean, the only reasons I figure out why people wouldn't wear their expensive pieces are:

* because they're going to be in a dangerous area and don't want to be robbed.
*****then a large fake ring still is just as dangerous!

* because they're going to be in a low SES community, and they don't want to be seen as frou frou or whatever.
*****then a large fake ring is still being frou frou!

:confused:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree the two reasons you posted for having stand-in rings make no sense:

* because they're going to be in a dangerous area and don't want to be robbed.
*****then a large fake ring still is just as dangerous!

* because they're going to be in a low SES community, and they don't want to be seen as frou frou or whatever.
*****then a large fake ring is still being frou frou!

I would take a stand-in ring on a trip if I was afraid of being robbed from my room (like on a beach vacation where you leave stuff in the safe while you're swimming, but you're not *really* sure about the security). I wouldn't wear even a stand-in ring in a place where I thought my personal safety was an issue due to jewelry though.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually a "Stand in" ring makes a lot of since from a robbery/assault standpoint.

No one plans on being robbed - or held up. But if you are - the assailants want something from you - and far to often physically assault people who are not cooperative or who seem overly resistive. If you can relatively freely give them a fake ring or fake pendant (etc) the robbers are happy - and the chance of you being physically assaulted drops dramatically.

If anyone is interested in protecting themselves.... Wink Jones has for years produced dual rings and pendants for his high end customers.

If you can pull it off - a hundred dollar bill or two usually makes any mugger happy and heading down the street - with you having all your other jewelry and wallet intact. I always try to carry some money in a separate pocket (an advantage guys have) just to give away in such a scenario. I actually know of two people who have done this.

But, its your choice,

Perry

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I never thought about it, I just leave my expensive stuff home if I think its dangerous. In Europe I think you just look ostentatious if you come over all bling blinged up. Are you wearing it for you or are you trying to impress?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you lose/chip/scratch a stand-in, it's no big deal. If someone steals it, it's no big deal. I think they make a lot of sense! And you don't have to pay $$ to insure them either.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I think what is the point in having jewelry that is going to be in a vault all the time? And I wonder if some of these people wear the stand-in when they don't really have the real thing.

If I were going on a trip where I was concerned about safety or theft, I'd buy a sterling silver wedding band and earrings and leave all my jewelry at home (or in the back safe deposit box). I wouldn't even want a fake diamond ring to attract a potential robber since they certainly won't know it is fake!!! So I agree with you about that, Madelise!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
My stand-in ring is a plain 3mm titanium band, and my husband's is the same ring but 6mm wide. We wear them any time we leave the country. I can't imagine getting an ostentatious stand-in ring, since to me, the whole point of it is to NOT stand out...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vc10um|1381340741|3534811 said:
My stand-in ring is a plain 3mm titanium band, and my husband's is the same ring but 6mm wide. We wear them any time we leave the country. I can't imagine getting an ostentatious stand-in ring, since to me, the whole point of it is to NOT stand out...

I have a 3mm surgical stainless steel band. $7 on Amazon! :bigsmile:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They used to be fairly popular in the 19th century when people didn't want to risk losing their heirlooms: sure, you can afford a new tiara, but it won't be the same as the one you inherited from your great-aunt the baronet, y'know?

I don't see the need for them outside of heirlooms/investment pieces ... though it does raise an interesting psychological issue. It implies that, lordy, no, you're not the sort of person who'd pretend to have more wealth than they did and pose as a 20-carat-blue-diamond-wearing heiress: you are one! You know, just one who happens to keep it in the vault, but who nevertheless wants her ownership of the item to be apparent to those around her.

Something about that thought process feels like it removes the ... desirability of the original, somehow. It takes away the intrinsic pleasure of the specific thing and makes it either a status thing - look what I can afford! - or redundant (this is good enough for l'il ole me ... the "real thing" is for just-in-case/the-next-generation/god only knows what). I think I prefer to insure and take my chances while enjoying the day-to-day.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
After my ex-husband lost a watch on a cruise and my mom accidentally threw away a necklace in a hotel, I just started traveling with things I don't mind not coming home with. You're not in your normal routine on vacation and it's so easy to leave something behind or forget what you've done with it.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I guess the effect of this jewelery may be similar to real ones in photos or from a short distance away. In these situations it appears you are presented for the benefit of others rather than yourself. I sometimes wonder when a star has a stylist who chooses clothes for them whether they even like the dress and jewelery they wear to the Oscars. There's a personal element that's missing. Maybe the real ring is something that is not public property but rather something that is enjoyed privately.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I never really thought about it before but it seems like a starlet being in public without her ring causes speculation about her marital situation.

Personally, I just wear a plain band in those situations but practicality and celebrity don't seem to mix well.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear a stand in ring because I love looking at something sparkly on my fingers. I enjoy it every day and I feel naked now without it. Have you ever seen people who bring newspapers or a teddy bear and make sure it is in every picture they take on a trip? Mr. Bear has been here, and here and here... I feel that way about my rings. They have been with me here, and here... I would enjoy seeing them in photos. I have been told I shouldn't bring them when we go to Israel. I will wear a stand in. It's not the same though because even though they are pretty they are not real. But I can see the reasoning behind it.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I guess it depends on the motivation behind the stand-in ring in question. I have a fakey solitaire that I got before my honeymoon; I didn't want to travel internationally with my real ering, but a portion of my honeymoon was also spent in the U.S. in a city that isn't where I live. I wanted something sparkly to wear during the U.S. portion of my honeymoon because that's *me*, but I also wanted it to be something that I'd be fine with leaving behind in my room the entire time we were abroad in case of theft or loss or whatever. While abroad I wore a plain band only, while in the U.S. I paired it with the fakey solitaire.

Similarly, I'm about to go on a cruise that begins/ends internationally. The ship is a totally appropriate place for a sparkly ring, while the varoius ports are not. I'll be taking my fake to wear while on the ship because again, I enjoy bling on my finger. However, I would not feel comfortable leaving my REAL ring in my cabin each day while in port for someone to steal.

Shrug.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results