shape
carat
color
clarity

Speaking of puppies......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
I have wanted to add another dog to our family, but I am afraid of how our current baby (Tricksey - Chinese Crested Powderpuff) would react. She is such a sensitive girl, and I would hate for her to change at all.

Anyone have any experience with this?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
icelady- I'm a cat person...but introducing a new dog is much like with a cat. it's ALL about the introduction. A lot of places will advise on bringing your current dog to meet the new dog and let them interact for a while. I know with cats, separation is key. They must be separated for a while so they can "smell" eachother and get used to having another scent in the house. How about having a friend with a dog let you "borrow" the dog for a night or two...see how your pupy reacts?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
oops...puppy

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, I need to get some friends I can "borrow" a dog from every once in a while. Good idea
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
you'd probably be surprised at how many friends are willing to loan their pooch to you and get a day off...lol...my MIL is a dog sitter ALL the time when her friends go away...volunteer...!

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
ah, but most of my friends are PhD students. I'm the most pet-enabled, more or less, because my SO and I have a cat (well, perpetual kitten)!

hopefully someday I will get to adopt a puppy (or dog) from animal rescue who will get along with the cat... my SO really wants one too, but as pre-docs, it's just not practical.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Generally dogs like companionship. Yep, the introduction is key. Don't make a big deal about it. Let them get aquainted. Introducing a puppy is not really the same thing as a full grown dog. It has been my experience that dogs will give puppies some slack. You may have a problematic "teen" years when they try to figure out the "pecking order". It is very important that *you* are the head of the household. Prevents fighting.

I was pleasantly surprised w/ the introduction of our male puppy to our adult female. I put the pup down & they were immediately fast and furious friends. My gal became my pups nanny. They played like no tomorrow with my pup (then 8 weeks)darting under the couch & dashing out at my gal. Quite the humorous site when one day the pup couldn't fit under the couch.

Good luck - two are much more fun than one. I love to watch their interaction.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
also i have read that some breeds take better to companionship than others...and also their socialization levels are key. I'd love to have two eventually...but want to get through the one first! haha.
2.gif
though we could have gotten two pups and while it would have been 2ce as much work (only got 2 hands!)...they'd be together at least...sometimes I think that is key.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/13/2004 1:54:25 PM Mara wrote:

though we could have gotten two pups and while it would have been 2ce as much work (only got 2 hands!)...they'd be together at least...sometimes I think that is key.
----------------

I'm of the mind not to get two from the same litter. Sometimes they can be two bonded with each other. And two *puppies* at the same time
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
Especially if you have a devil dog!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah i prefer she bonds with us rather than her sibling...actually. but her sibs were SOO cute! one boy was mellow and just wanted to cuddle and have you pet him. adorable.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
When we got our Tricksey she was approx 4 mos old already and had bonded with her sister (littermate). She had a dreadful time for the first few weeks feeling a bit lonely. She has since bonded very strongly with my daughter, which was really what I had hoped for. In fact, I sought out a sensitive, active and companion oriented dog because I had done a lot of research on dogs and children with epilepsy (there are certain dogs that are sensitive enough to realize when a person is about to have a seizure and can alert someone). My daughter had Benign Rolandic epilepsy and the summer we got Tricksey she had had some of her worst seizures. In any event, my daughter has not had another seizure since we got the dog!! So I tell my husband (the one who thought getting a dog was not a good idea
angryfire.gif
, and of course the same one who is madly in love with our little Tricksey now
11.gif
!) that my idea worked!

I would hate for this special bond Tricksey and my daughter share to be compromised by adding another dog. On the other hand, I think Tricks would love a companion.

We do have two cats, one male and one female, and it has been so interesting how each cat has handled getting to know Tricks. Every animal has a distinctly different personality. Tricksey does, however, think sometimes that she is a cat!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/13/2004 2:34:56 PM icelady wrote:

In fact, I sought out a sensitive, active and companion oriented dog because I had done a lot of research on dogs and children with epilepsy (there are certain dogs that are sensitive enough to realize when a person is about to have a seizure and can alert someone). My daughter had Benign Rolandic epilepsy and the summer we got Tricksey she had had some of her worst seizures. In any event, my daughter has not had another seizure since we got the dog!! ----

Dogs really are quite amazing.

How old is the dog? It's great about the bond with your daughter. And, getting a second could change the dynamic - operative word "could". But, if your dog is getting beyond in years then I would consider another dog for your daughter. Losing a pet can be very tramatic. Having a another in the household helps.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
----------------

Dogs really are quite amazing.

How old is the dog? It's great about the bond with your daughter. And, getting a second could change the dynamic - operative word 'could'. But, if your dog is getting beyond in years then I would consider another dog for your daughter. Losing a pet can be very tramatic. Having a another in the household helps. ----------------

Hi F&I,

Tricksey is just over 4 years old. Chinese Cresteds are expected to live between 10 and 15 years.

I agree, losing a beloved pet is very traumatic. Maybe we should wait a bit, huh!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results