shape
carat
color
clarity

Spain, Anyone?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Alright, Pricescopers! It's about that time again. I'm planning our trip to Spain for the end of May/early June, and I'm seeking input from my PS friends. You guys helped us have amazing times in Ireland, Belgium, Germany, and Switzerland, so I can't do this one without you!

We like to eat great food, relax, meet the locals, and see beautiful things in nature. We'll be in Spain for 11 nights total.

I'm most fuzzy on the last few days when it comes to the day trip to Morocco--would you stay somewhere close to Tarifa, or in Tarifa, the day of this day trip? Should I rearrange those final days? Any and all ideas are welcome.

Also, we'll be in Madrid during Pentecost Weekend--is this a deal breaker? Will things be shut down?

I omitted a trip to Barcelona because I feel we can't spend enough time there to make it worth it on this trip. We'll be in France at some point in the next couple years and can visit then. Is this foolish? Would you add Barcelona?

How's this look? Any input on the hotels? Must-sees? Favorites from your own trip?

We typically bring along a list of places we'd like to see, as well as recommendations from the Fodorites and PSers, and then we see what we're most in the mood for once we get there. So, what should I add to the list?

Th: Overnight flight. We'll sleep on the plane and show up relatively well-rested.
Day 1 F: Stay Madrid, Hotel Europa
Day 2 S: Stay Madrid
Day 3 Su: Stay Madrid **Pentecost Sunday**
Day 4 M: Stay Seville, Hotel Las Casas de la Judería
Day 5 T: Stay Seville - While in Seville: Day trip to Jerez de la Frontera wineries? Cadiz? Drive through the White Villages
Day 6 W: Stay Seville
Day 7 Th: Stay Seville **Bank Holiday in Gibraltar - don't go there today**
Day 8 F: Stay Tarifa? Go to Gibraltar & Tangier during the day--too much for one day?
Day 9 S: Stay Granada, Hotel Anacapri
Day 10 Su: Stay Granada - Day trip to Sierra Nevada?
Day 11 M: Stay Madrid, no hotel booked yet--suggestions for ease of getting to the airport? Our flight is just before noon, so not too early.
T: Home to Chicago

Thanks so much, everyone! I really appreciate your input!

Oh, and pictures from your own trips to Spain are encouraged and welcome!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
No Barcelona? Barcelona is the only place I've been in Spain so I can't tell you if it's "better" or "worse" than any of your picks -- but I did love it!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, Deco! I still owe you for your Murphy's Ice Cream tip before our Ireland trip. Mmmm . . . Murphy's . . . :love: :lickout:

I decided to cut out Barcelona for this trip because there's so much we wanted to see in central and southern Spain, that a trip to Barcelona was just too out of the way. I don't like hopping around too much, so we'll plan to visit Barcelona when we go to the South of France.

I know a lot of people are going to say "WHAT? No Barcelona?!" But I had to cut out something! I don't like to move too fast when we travel, I feel like we miss out on getting the flavor of each place, and Barcelona deserves at least four nights, IMO, and I cannot give it four nights on this trip.

I like that it will be an excuse to go back to Spain the next time we're in the region, though!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Barcelona is also a big cruise hub, if you're ever intrigued by that idea! Lots of Med cruises leave from there & go onto France, Italy, Greece, Turkey & back to Barcelona -- which is why we ended up in Barcelona w/o really even expecting much from *that* part of our trip. Now I'd love to go back & spend more than 2 .. 2 1/2 days there.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm . . . a cruise from France to Barcelona might just be the way we make it there on a future trip. I like it!

Amy--PS GTG in Spain! ;))

The Fodorites tell me I can't do Gibraltar and Tangier in one day, so that's out. Someone also said to skip Tangier altogether--have any PSers been there? Input, anyone? I'm intrigued by it because it's going to be a very different experience than the rest of our trip, and was surprised that Rick Steves recommends it in his Spain guidebook. But I'm open to changing the itinerary, if it's not worth the time.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved Barcelona and we did Paris w/Barcelona on a trip. We did 6 days in Paris and 5 days in Barcelona and could of done more in Barcelona! I love everything Gaudi!!! :love: I love spending a lot of time in a particular city to immerse myself in everything about it to really get a feel for it! I hear Madrid and Seville are beautiful; my friend did both those cities and love them. Do Barcelona on a next trip so you can get the full feel for Catalan culture!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My two cents....I went years ago in high school
I went to Madrid and Barcelona, and I definitely prefered Barcelona. It's more quaint, artsy, and architechturally stunning. The people seemed more friendly and welcoming as well. I'm a big Picasso fan, so loved the Museo de Picasso.

I found Madrid kind of caotic, and unsafe (lots of pick-pockets), I almost got pick-pocketed twice, and I certainly did not look the part of a rich tourist.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm going to Spain in August!

Based on your itinerary (and hotels, actually), it looks like you've done fodors research. ::) Have you found Maribel's Spain yet? Not sure if it's still around after all these years, but it used to be a very handy guide from a fodorite.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Sevilla! Aside from Barcelona it's my favorite place in Spain...actually I think they may be tied. I went to Cadiz for a day trip from Sevilla, but we just went there for the beach, so I can't say much about anything else.

In Sevilla make sure to go to the Barrio de Santa Cruz! That's where I stayed both times I went and it's such a cool neighborhood. Be prepared to get lost-the streets are super skinny and winding and you're guaranteed to get lost a few times. The Alcazar and the Cathedral are both in the Barrio de Santa Cruz also. It's been a few years so I can't remember any specific restaurants or shops but I'm sure a guidebook can give you specific recommendations. I used Let's Go Spain and it didn't let me down. There's a main shopping district with some great ceramics shops. Okay just looked it up and the 2 main shopping streets are Sierpes and Tetuan, which is off a main plaza.

In Madrid there are several fantastic art museums. The Reina Sofia and the Prado are both great. I haven't been to Granada but my sister has (she did a semester in Sevilla in college) and she loved it.

ETA if Barcelona is still on the table at all, you could take an overnight train from Madrid to Barcelona. That's what we did and it wasn't bad at all! We got a really nice sleeper car to ourselves and it was really fun! It even had a tiny weird shower that I was compelled to use! :cheeky: But if not, I'm sure you'll make it there. Barcelona could really be an entire trip, with a few side trips (like to Bilbao to see the Guggenheim).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1331936465|3150345 said:
Hmmmm . . . a cruise from France to Barcelona might just be the way we make it there on a future trip. I like it!

Amy--PS GTG in Spain! ;))

The Fodorites tell me I can't do Gibraltar and Tangier in one day, so that's out. Someone also said to skip Tangier altogether--have any PSers been there? Input, anyone? I'm intrigued by it because it's going to be a very different experience than the rest of our trip, and was surprised that Rick Steves recommends it in his Spain guidebook. But I'm open to changing the itinerary, if it's not worth the time.

Ahh, that answers my questions about the fodorites.

Haven't been to Tangiers. Spain I've only been to Barcelona and Sevilla. This time I'm going to Valencia for a few days and that's it.

brownbear

Rough_Rock
I definitely enjoyed visiting Barcelona more than Madrid. However, if you are pretty set on Madrid, I highly recommend doing a daytrip to Toledo and maybe Segovia. Toledo's a walled town and it's fun to walk around in and explore the narrow cobbly streets.

I know this is out of the way, but since you mentioned FOOD, I highly recommend going to the Basque region. I really enjoyed San Sebastian even though i was there for only a day. The way they do tapas is a bit different from the rest of Spain. They have platters and platters of small bites that cover the bar. You grab a plate and keep track of how many you eat, and when you're ready to go (to the next tapas bar...) you just tell the bartender how many you ate and settle up. If you can't get to the Basque then at least check out a basque-style tapas bar in Madrid.

Also, shoes are amaaaaazing in Spain. If you love shoes, save some room in your luggage to bring home a pair or two of handmade shoes. I bought a pair of handmade leather and suede boots for around $140 and the quality is top notch. If there was more room in my pack, I would've bought another pair.

Have a great time!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We did Madrid, Lisbon and Barcelona in 12 days and it was fabulous. Of course I was pregnant so it wasn't as great as it could have been but really still fantastic. My husband is dying to return.

We loved Madrid the best. It's just so steeped in old culture and tradition, everything seemed so authentic.
Barcelona was definitely more of a young, hip, modern town.

Seville I don't know much about only that I didn't realize it was big enough to warrant 2-3 days to visit?

We also really loved the opportunity to visit Lisbon.

Out of all three, I would love to visit Madrid again. Also at the end of a long trip, I find that I'm kind of just tired of traveling and seeing/experiencing new things and get a little homesick. So the last city (for us Barca) sometimes gets the shaft!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1331954728|3150564 said:
We did Madrid, Lisbon and Barcelona in 12 days and it was fabulous. Of course I was pregnant so it wasn't as great as it could have been but really still fantastic. My husband is dying to return.

We loved Madrid the best. It's just so steeped in old culture and tradition, everything seemed so authentic.

Seville I don't know much about only that I didn't realize it was big enough to warrant 2-3 days to visit?

Out of all three, I would love to visit Madrid again. Also at the end of a long trip, I find that I'm kind of just tired of traveling and seeing/experiencing new things and get a little homesick. So the last city (for us Barca) sometimes gets the shaft!

I spent quite a few days in Sevilla...probably almost a week, I think. It's a great place to just to VEG. Of course, I had that luxury being a wandering bum in Europe for 4 months!

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Went to UAB, naturally biased towards Barcelona! :cheeky:

Someone also said to skip Tangier altogether--have any PSers been there? Input, anyone? I'm intrigued by it because it's going to be a very different experience than the rest of our trip, and was surprised that Rick Steves recommends it in his Spain guidebook. But I'm open to changing the itinerary, if it's not worth the time.

Tangier is in fact different, it can be unsafe with chaotic traffic and maybe too dirty for some. For a colorful experience,
you could easily take an early [inexpensive] bus from Seville to Algeciras and then take the 45 minute ferry to Tangier's port, you should be able to stroll for 2-4 hours to get a good sense of the area without hurry.
I would start from the Angelican Church, the Grand & Petit bazaars then up to the Kasbah for a great ocean view and a visit to Sultan's palace if you like Maroccan art. There is only one way around filled with traditional goods, camel rides, snake masters, winding streets, arcades and stunning architecture [St. Andrews/Dar el Makhzen]. Near Malcolm Museum there's Hafa Cafe that offers a one of a kind view of the Mediterranean Sea. Just in front of Sidi Mosque there's Hotel Minzah, dinner there is a must! Be streetwise and enjoy the tea. :))
Oh yeah, Madrid offers magnificent shoe stores, Farrutx & Carmina on calle Serrano are my all time favorites... ::) :bigsmile:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I did Seville, Granada and Cordoba together. Easy to take a train between them. Hughly recommend this itinerary. Sierra Nevada a must.

Barcelona needs it's own trip. I would do it with Madrid and make it a hip city break :sun:

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely fit Cordoba into the itinerary, and schedule 2 days for Granada, esp. if you want to push to the Sierra.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was in HS, I was on a 10 day March Break school lead trip thru Spain and into Morroco (Gibraltar). Seville - AWESOME!!!, Malaga - beautiful beach coast, Madrid - historical and amazing, Gibraltar/Morroco/Kasbah - garbage, filthy, smelly, beggars, pickpockets, insanely unsanitary and pestered by locals to buy drugs. NOT A SAFE experience - but again, dinosaurs roamed the earth and we were a cluster of 20 HS kids...

Fast Forward to 2011, DD is on HER HS trip to Spain last April. Similar itinerary and they also did Morroco, EXACT same impression. She was TERRIFIED the whole day they were there. They were harassed, someone was pick pocketed, filthy, "Camel ride" was a 5 minute up and down in a parking lot...

I can not remember where in Spain it is located, but the Gaudy cathedral would be AMAZING to see!

Enjoy your trip!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331956419|3150587 said:
Mara|1331954728|3150564 said:

I spent quite a few days in Sevilla...probably almost a week, I think. It's a great place to just to VEG. Of course, I had that luxury being a wandering bum in Europe for 4 months!

Yeah the first time I went I stayed in Sevilla for close to 2 weeks-at least 10 days, I think. There's a ton of stuff to do and see if you're so inclined, or you can just hang out and eat and drink and enjoy the beautiful city. I did a little sight seeing and a lot of hanging out!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Am I the only one that couldn't stand Madrid? Yes, there are some good museums, but honestly, I'd skip Madrid and do Barcelona. Not helpful, I know, but from my personal experience, Madrid is the least interesting of the cities you have listed.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss|1332003847|3150852 said:
Am I the only one that couldn't stand Madrid? Yes, there are some good museums, but honestly, I'd skip Madrid and do Barcelona. Not helpful, I know, but from my personal experience, Madrid is the least interesting of the cities you have listed.
Really? This is so contrary to what I've heard from fellow traveling friends, and on the Fodor's forums. Please do tell, Princesss! What was Madrid missing? I must hear more!

I know so much of this is personal preference, but everyone's insight is really helpful.

And we are definitely not skipping Barcelona because I don't think we'll love it. We're skipping it this trip because I'm not sure we can give it enough days to really make it worth the visit. DH and I are slow travelers, we like to really get a feel for a place before we move on, which is hard to do with only 11 nights in a country. And we will definitely do Barcelona on a future trip, one when we can really spend some time there. I just can't give it four nights on this trip, because I don't want to miss out on the Andalucia region.

THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone for your posts! I love just hearing about people's impressions, in general, but you're really helping me iron out some of the details.

For more info on us and what we love about trips: We tend to love the smaller cities and more remote areas. We used to live in Chicago and now we live just north of it (and still spend 80% of our leisure time in the city,) so I think that makes us appreciate the older cities and more rural areas more when we travel.

My favorite places while traveling thus far have been: Bruges, Belgium; Murren, Switzerland; Dingle, Ireland; Pylos, Greece; Stratford, England; Jerusalem (the Old City), Israel.

I don't know if that's helpful, but there it is. :cheeky:

I'm going to spend more time reading up on people's travelogues from Madrid to make sure it's a place I *think* we'll like to visit, just in case.

I really appreciate the input about Tangier. I'm going to think about visiting there, as well. I like that it's a very different experience, but I'm not sure it's something we'll be glad to have spent an entire day doing after reading your posts. Thank you Enerchi for sharing your experience, and your daughter's! DH and I have both done camel rides in the Middle East, looooong and hot camel rides, so I don't think we'd do one of those in Morocco. But it sounds like it might be reminiscent of my time in Kusadasi, Turkey, which was filled with very aggressive salesmen and lots of pickpockets. Hmmm, off to do more exploring . . .

I've read all of your posts and really, really appreciate them! I'll come back once I've had some time to digest and make some plans.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I did a semester abroad in Spain (in Alcala de Henares, about 30 miles east of Madrid) and my favorite part of the whole thing was a long weekend excursion we took to Cordoba and Granada. Granada was easily my favorite, you must be sure give yourself enough time to visit the Albaicin and the Alhambra. Both are AMAZING! My young impressionable self thought they were the coolest places ever and I've got warm fuzzy memories just thinking about them. :loopy:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
princesss|1332003847|3150852 said:

I agree, did you read my post above? I did not like Madrid at all,,

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Barcelona!!!!!!! Haven, really you need to go there. I spent 14 days in Spain last year, and I liked Barecelona a lot more. It was SO beautiful. I did 7 days Barcelona and 7 days Madrid. Barcelona was vibrant city filled with energy, art, and the beach! Madrid had a lot of old buildings that were intresting. I don't know.... I don't remember much about Madrid to be honest. I can tell you that my two siblings went the year after (2 separate trips) and they both agreed that Madrid was a little forgettable after Barcelona.

I favorite part was Park Guell. If you go there, try to squeeze it in. It was my last day in Barcelona and I was feeling lazy, my husband forced me to go.... I thought I had seen enough Gaudi... But it was wonderful. Thank GOD he made me go, missing out on that would have been terrible.

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
I went to Spain between first and second year of law school and here was my itinerary:

San Sebastian
Madrid
Sevilla
Barcelona

Like some of the pp, I was NOT a fan of Madrid. Bear in mind I was traveling alone and I didn't feel that it was as comfortable for me. It was very hot and I felt very land-locked. However if you love art galleries and stuff like that it might be different for you. That said I did have excellent paella there :). I also think that many spaniards and other Europeans prefer Madrid.

San Sebastian was by far my favorite. Mostly for the vibe and the food. There is an "old town" section that is filled with bar after bar. Each bar covers the bars and tables with tapas. You just go in and order a drink and pick which little nits of deliciousness you want! After u are done there you move on to the next!! There is a gorgeous beach as well.

I also loved Sevilla. It is so beautiful! You really walk down the street and see orange trees everywhere!

I personally wouldn't have missed Barcelona. The architecture was insane as was the beach. The glorious beach that was right in the city. Crazy. It is a very hectic city though - you also have to watch out for pick pockets and drunks there :)

Either way sounds like you will have a great trip!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay Barcelona fans, how would you change my itinerary to put Barcelona into it? Help a girl out! I am not willing to jump from one city to the next day after day, so no one-nighters anywhere. Two nights in one place is bad enough, IMO. So, what would you do?

We have to fly in and out of Madrid, I can't change that. The flight options into Barcelona were all waaaaaay too long for me, and it's definitely better to take an AVE train from Madrid to Barcelona than to have a layover in Newark. :cheeky:

So, ideas?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barcelona is amazing!!!! The architecture is gorgeous and it was very friendly and walkable. I can't wait to go back!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results