clarity

Sometimes some men just suck

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Manspreading!

Ever hear of it?
Me neither.

Manspreading is not when a real man like DoctorD spreads BBQ sauce on the ribs of the buffalo he chased down and killed with his hairy bare hands, then butchered himself.
It's when a man sits on a crowded subway with his legs spread apart, taking up some of the next seat.

NYC Transit Authority has a campaign to stamp out manspreading.
They are trying to teach men what little girls are quickly taught, "KEEP YOUR LEGS TOGETHER!"
It would be funny if it led to a lawsuit where evidence was needed to explain the anatomical reason that only men ... oh never mind. :oops:

I love these kind of things.
I'm not saying it's not a legit complaint.
It just wanders into a delicate/humorous area, the age-old battle of the sexes, and it's set in NYC one of my favorite places for people to people drama.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall of a neighborhood bar where guys with thick NJ accents complain like they are being castrated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/nyregion/a-scourge-is-spreading-mtas-cure-dude-close-your-legs.html

screen_shot_2014-12-21_at_10.png

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
look at the seats: his ass takes up 1.5 seats even w/o the "manspread"..........

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotta let all that junk breathe! :lol:

It is seriously annoying, though. I don't want to look at anyone's crotch in a waiting area or on public transportation, or in a restaurant, etc. Close your legs, dudes!
:errrr:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always laugh at the ones who do this when they're wearing shorts: they don't realize that the Crown Jewels hang out a lot of the time (or maybe they do). :loopy:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1419192917|3805368 said:
I always laugh at the ones who do this when they're wearing shorts: they don't realize that the Crown Jewels hang out a lot of the time (or maybe they do). :loopy:

Hahaha, I call that "showing brain."

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is not always that someone is being rude.
I have really poor circulation in my legs from dvts and if I sit with my legs together my legs fall asleep in 2min and sharp pains in 3 and I cant walk on them.
I know other people with the same condition both men and woman, small and large.
It is very common in those with leg blood circulation issues and has to do with putting pressure on the veins returning blood from the legs in the hip area.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing that, Karl. I certainly make exceptions in my judgmental mind for those who have different needs. I will keep in mind your words as I go about my business in the world. I hope I haven't offended you.

Last night my daughter and I were at the grocery store. She was riding in the cart and while we were in the produce section we came across a woman who was in one of those motor-operated shopping carts. We all had a nice conversation about how nice it was to ride in the cart rather than be the one pushing it! She was so sweet and my toddler was just fascinated that a grown person was riding in a cart just like her!

I always learn something when interacting with folks on PS. So grateful PS is part of my life.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am on the computer. Manspreading. OK if not in public?? :rodent:

cheers--Sharon

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is sad that the people with a related medical condition will get judgmental leers now. :(sad

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:
Madam Bijoux|1419192917|3805368 said:

Hahaha, I call that "showing brain."
oh my god. I snorted hot tea.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
monarch64|1419196569|3805389 said:
Thanks for sharing that, Karl. I certainly make exceptions in my judgmental mind for those who have different needs. I will keep in mind your words as I go about my business in the world. I hope I haven't offended you.
nope you didn't.
tmi follows.....
I wear my pants lose so nothing prints and I don't wear shorts in public when I am going to be sitting.
There are ways to be decent about it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1419197333|3805394 said:
Yes, it is sad that the people with a related medical condition will get judgmental leers now. :(sad
they already do but it looks like it will get worse.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1419212245|3805456 said:
kenny|1419197333|3805394 said:
they already do but it looks like it will get worse.

I think NYC at least tries to be a pretty PC place.
Let's hope educational disclaimers regarding said medical conditions will eventually appear in the MTA's posters.

You may want to shoot them an email.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Manspreading is not when a real man like DoctorD spreads BBQ sauce on the ribs of the buffalo he chased down and killed with his hairy bare hands, then butchered himself.

did not want your humor to go unacknowledged, this was funny :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1419212671|3805460 said:

did not want your humor to go unacknowledged, this was funny :lol:

Aww. Smooches.
I try.

screen_shot_2014-12-21_at_5.png

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Honestly I see many women do this too. Not that either is attractive. I think people do it as a passive aggressive means to claim real estate, in that it makes people fill in all the other seats before asking the rude dude, or dudette to move over. While it is of course rude, slovenly, and provoking/intimidating, there are many people of both sexes who are just too large for only one seat, or only two. I have to wonder if there will be ads admonishing them too, for being rudely overweight. Surely smokers on the sidewalks are next, the city could raise a lot of revenue by fining them for air pollution. Not that everyone should be thin, polite and smoke-free; people vary and people suck variously.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too, I've seen both men and women with no obvious medical conditions claim two seats on purpose in different situations - public transport, busy places to eat or to sit simply because they want to spread out or they don't want anyone sitting next to them.

If there are no other seats and you have someone with a medical condition that cannot stand up for long periods, like an old person or a pregnant woman and they will not move over it really annoys the @#$* out of me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In NYC I find that the young and able bodied men tend to do this. It is rude and off putting to do on a crowded subway when there are pregnant women and older people in need of seat space. And I find these young men who spread their legs taking up more than a seat on the subways also do not get up and offer their seat(s) to anyone who might need it more than they do. I find this behavior to be disappointing and irritating at the same time. :nono:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1419213550|3805467 said:
Honestly I see many women do this too. Not that either is attractive. I think people do it as a passive aggressive means to claim real estate, in that it makes people fill in all the other seats before asking the rude dude, or dudette to move over. While it is of course rude, slovenly, and provoking/intimidating, there are many people of both sexes who are just too large for only one seat, or only two. I have to wonder if there will be ads admonishing them too, for being rudely overweight. Surely smokers on the sidewalks are next, the city could raise a lot of revenue by fining them for air pollution. Not that everyone should be thin, polite and smoke-free; people vary and people suck variously.

Vapid, I don't share that same experience as you do. I see mostly men behaving like this spreading their legs but I agree that it is passive aggressive behavior.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ,

I'm sort of smiling here. I used to be from New York and rode those subways and buses for years. My recollections are that when the trains and buses were crowded no-one had any problem asking the spready people to move over. =) They always did. Do we have a new kind of a person that says No, I won't move. Do we need a campaign for this?

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results