shape
carat
color
clarity

Sometimes Football Makes Me Cry

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wrote this essay a couple of weeks ago after the BSU v. Hawaii game.

I hope you enjoy it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Wink

Normally at the start of each game BSU comes roaring out from a tunnel at the south end of the field from within a mist of fog and led by a young lady on a beautiful horse that gallops between two lines of band members and cheerleaders. It is always fun to watch and the crowd goes nuts. For a sold out game the noise literally makes your whole body rattle.

Today was different.

The fog came up, the score board count down was at 0, the young lady had long since charged through the lines on her horse, but still no Broncos. Then you could see an arm holding the game hammer from the last game extending from the fog, appearing slowly as it walked slowly out onto the field. I turned to my wife and said, “What a cool image that is.” Those words were the last I could manage for some time.

A puff of wind blew the mist aside and suddenly the player holding the hammer was revealed walking hand in hand with a young man holding up a mallet, dressed as one of the coaches. The crowd went nuts, the rest of the team suddenly burst from the tunnel and it was all I could do not to sob audibly as my heart felt like it was ripped from my throat. My tears, however, ran freely down my face as the crowd cheered on.

I had read about the young man with brain cancer who lives in Texas who asked the Make a Wish Foundation to bring him to Boise to meet the coach and the team.

I had read how Coach Peterson’s wife had helped to set it up.

I had known he would be on the sideline, literally to be a coach for a day, complete with headset and microphone to be part of the team.

I just did not know how much that simple act of kindness would affect me as I stood alone with my wife in a crowd of thousands.

All during the game the players and coaches surrounded him, talking with him, putting their arms around his shoulders and making him welcome. All during the game I kept thinking how incredibly lucky I am that my family is healthy. All during the game I was proud to be part of Bronco Nation, proud that our coach and our team have such depths to their human compassion.

Even now as I write these words, the tears are rolling freely down my cheeks. Football just makes me cry sometimes.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
P.S. This morning there was an article in the paper about the YouTube video that the family made from the pictures of their trip.

The picture at the end is what I saw when the puff of wind blew the fog away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlEFTLB6wwg

It still makes me cry...

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
This is EXACTLY why I love College Football - so much heart! I hope ya'll make it to the Championship Game this year!

And for the record, I cry just about every live game - the marching band does it for me every time they play "Simple Gifts" from Appalachian Spring. Here is a video of them practicing - the actual game footage gets you pumped, but the crowd is so loud it is hard to hear the band at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXkEVWwOIGc&feature=related

ETA - That was a beautiful video, Wink. Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results