shape
carat
color
clarity

So my Typo keyboard accidentally had a cocktail...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My beloved Typo was doused with some savignon blanc last night... and now the I and O keys don't work. (Fortunately my iphone was fine though.) My IT guys have done everything they can but they don't want to pry the actual keys off because they said the way the keyboard is constructed they will break and we won't be able to get them back on. (Not that it really matters at this point if it's not ever going to work again...)

Is it possible to dribble some rubbing alcohol (or something else?) around those keys and hope it disolves the wine that is stopping the keys from making contact? Any other ideas?

I'm so sad... ;(

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It just occurred to me that I should explain what a Tyop keyboard is.

It's basically a blackberry keyboard that you attach to an iPhone. The thing is AMAZING. Or *was* amazing, until it went drinkin'...

http://gettypo.com/products/typo-for-iphone-6

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An AA meeting we can still do -- an II or an OO meeting, not so much... HA!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be time for a new keyboard. :angel:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Chrono... say it ain't so!

You don't think the rubbing alcohol idea will work...?

ETA: I just saw your signature line - how appropriate!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much do you plan to "dribble" and will too much damage anything underneath the keys?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From experience, 91% RA will unstick some of your keys. But, may destroy the underlaying membrane. Most keyboards these days have a membrane so even if you unstick the keys its really not a guarantee that the thing will work.

But at this point you don't have much to lose.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, I was just going to do a drop or two and see if it might "wash off" the wine.

Arcadian, unfortunately what you say is true -- I don't really have anything to lose at this point!

As an aside, I've been using the 1 and 0 in lieu of "i" and "o" all day. It's amazing how fast one adapts!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*jay, at least it was only wine. I dumped an entire vodka and cranberry in my wireless keyboard. So between me trying to get it out of the keyboard, get it off the floor, and keep the dog from licking it (plus I wasn't exactly sober at the time) so it was a challenge.

My dog is a lush. She love beer, wine, margaritas, you name it. Call her whatever you like, but don't call her late to the party.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen how a keyboard was cleaned by one of the IT chaps that shared my office. He took every one of the plastic keys off and gave them a good wash with detergent, and cleaned the board underneath with some cleaning solution, using cotton buds in places; before putting the cleaned plastic keys back in place.

A lot of hard work and time was involved, not sure if it was a good use of his time to be honest, when a replacement keyboard is so cheap nowadays.

DK :))

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian, that's the part that's killing me -- it was only a LITTLE wine!!!

DK, my IT guy said the way the keys are he would break them if he pried them off unfortunately.

I guess I will try the rubbing alcohol thing and see if it works. Should I also use a hair dryer? Does anything think it's possible that it's just still wet in there, even though it was just a few dribbles?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it is dependent upon the type of keyboard, as my laptop's keyboard's keys are very flat with some kind of flimsy plastic mechanism underneath, and I broke two of them myself when I tried to clean it, DOH!

DK :oops:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
You will need a new keyboard.
I doubt it is the sugar, but the short in that micro circuit.
I spilled some absinthe into my lap
I mean my laptop
no s, 6 nor 8
intermittent a
and a line of pixels straight down the middle of the screen that is permanently blue.
On the upside it all still works with a wireless keyboard.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't that alcohol abuse? :lol:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I have been assured by the greatest minds of our time, that it was the sugar, not the alcohol

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay, Your post made me laugh. I think it may be time to buy a new keyboard. I'll even contribute to it if helps you post more!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello kids!

Well I had a chat (by email) with Typo and they are kindly ignoring the part about me being outside the warranty period (and I decide to largely ignore any sort of detailed explanation as to the root of the problem!) and they are going to replace my keyboard! I “alluded” to the evening’s events that resulted in my scaled down alphatetic abilities and they said, just send it back – so I am!

DK, that’s exactly what my IT guys were afraid of.

VL, it sounds like your spillage resulted in an absinthe of technology! (How could I resist a bad pun?!?)

Callie, it looks like my keyboard problem is being taken care of and I can’t wait to get the new one back because this typing with one finger is just crap!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great News Dee Jay! You story about talking the keyboard reps was great. Sounds like a sitation where the less said the better. I'm sure they were able to connect the dots in your story. It's all too common a story. When I was working a friend of mine handled all the cell phones and blackberry's. She just to call them alcohol induced accidents when some one destroyed their phone. Keep the wine away from the keyboard!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you replaced this right away because you can't get them anymore...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh ame -- I know! I damn near wept when I saw the info about the lawsuit!

The good news is the IT guys felt so bad for me that they secretly ordered me one after they realized mine was a gonner, so that came while I was in Vegas. And I'm going to email Typo and ask if I'm going to get my replacement because the settlement prohibits Typo from *selling* the keyboard, but this is a replacement, so techincally it's not a sale. Hell, since they can't sell them, and I'm sure they've got a bunch made up already, maybe they'll send me a box full, ha ha!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1433254472|3884157 said:
Oh ame -- I know! I damn near wept when I saw the info about the lawsuit!

The good news is the IT guys felt so bad for me that they secretly ordered me one after they realized mine was a gonner, so that came while I was in Vegas. And I'm going to email Typo and ask if I'm going to get my replacement because the settlement prohibits Typo from *selling* the keyboard, but this is a replacement, so techincally it's not a sale. Hell, since they can't sell them, and I'm sure they've got a bunch made up already, maybe they'll send me a box full, ha ha!
I am not surprised by the outcome of the lawsuit, actually. But I am curious to see what they tell you.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not surprised either (unfortunately). I'll let you know what (if) I hear back.

In a -- my! -- perfect universe Blackberry will just start making a keyboard case for iPhones and then this problem will be taken care of!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results