shape
carat
color
clarity

Snoothie Recipes

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any that you love? Any with kale, since I bought some yesterday? I know I can google it, but I like hearing what people enjoy regularly in a tried and true sense.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is ridiculously unhelpful bec I don't make it myself but when I go to SmoothieKing I get a chocolate protein shake with banana and kale. The chocolate and banana cover up any of the kale taste but I still get the nutrients.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
about a cup of frozen fruit
a cup of yogurt
enough milk to hit the 2 cup line on my blender ( just a few splashes)
squeeze of honey
a pinch of cinnamon

blend, pour in glass, chug.

I don't know why, I hate consuming whole fruit, but I can chug it blended :)

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never tried any with kale. Love to see some more recipes!

I do love doing smoothies with soft tofu :lickout:
We had been doing them for breakfast a lot. I'd toss in a blob (1 cup?) of tofu, a couple of bananas, some frozen fruit (some of this some of that from my bags of blackberries, strawberries, pineapple, mango, etc), and a bit of orange juice.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
the following is a basic recipe I make weekly for my son. I do switch out the fruits depending upon what's on sale or which store I'm at.

Kale
Plain yogurt
Frozen blueberries or raspberries
hemp seed protein
bananas
rice dream

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Kale smoothies! I don't follow recipes per se but just add as I go. My general rule is 1/2 greens 1/2 fruit though and always adding something creamy like a banana to give it some thickness and texture since I don't do dairy. And believe it or not but avocado tastes really good in a smoothie. I never would have believed it if I hadn't tasted it myself. Delicious. Have fun experimenting. :appl:

Oh and if you don't have frozen fruit you can just add lots of ice (at least with the Vitamix) and it turns out perfectly. The more ice the thicker the consistency. Enjoy!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a Vitamix and usually buy the 3 mix organic(kale, spinach, chard) from Costco and the Organic 3 Berry Mix (costco too), pineapple and a slice of lime, ice and a dash of coconut water. I too throw things together. I sometimes love to use ginger w/a berry, mango, banana smoothie.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Banana, frozen raspberries, Greek yoghurt, orange and mango juice (or just OJ).

DK :))

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
strawberries, maybe a few blueberries if I have some, half a banana, 1 container of greek yogurt, and enough milk or soy milk to fill to just under the 2c line on the blender.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw Alton brown talk about smoothies. Said for the juice you put in you should always use a purple juice like acai or blueberry or pomegranate. Use frozen fruits but take them out the night before.... And use a banana.

I usually have frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, frozen mango, and half a banana. Then I usually prefer vanilla yogurt but I'll do plain too, then juice.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1419371836|3806729 said:
I saw Alton brown talk about smoothies. Said for the juice you put in you should always use a purple juice like acai or blueberry or pomegranate. Use frozen fruits but take them out the night before.... And use a banana.

I usually have frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, frozen mango, and half a banana. Then I usually prefer vanilla yogurt but I'll do plain too, then juice.

Forgot about that! I did them with blueberry juice a couple of times and they were great.

I don't bother to take my fruit out early. I like how the frozen fruit makes a really thick smoothie.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blueberries can leave your mouth a bit blue. I tend to skip them if I'm heading out or taking the smoothie with me...

I've never tried with apples, but I'm told apples with kale makes a good combination.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We use:
mangoes
pineapple
kale
spinach
hemp protein
flaxseed
chia seed
frozen mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries)
two cups of water

I have an inflammatory disease and this reels in my symptoms, believe it or not!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1419391111|3807006 said:
Blueberries can leave your mouth a bit blue. I tend to skip them if I'm heading out or taking the smoothie with me...

I've never tried with apples, but I'm told apples with kale makes a good combination.

Ooh yes apples are delicious in a smoothie. Pears also! Really yummy! I find that more is not better though when it comes to making smoothies and I use a few key ingredients each time to let the flavor of each come through. So I might add apples to one and pears to another.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have a smoothie everyday for breakfast I just love them.
I always have this as my smoothie base :
8 oz of unsweetened almond milk
banana
hemp protein
cinnamon
honey
I alternate what I will throw in there but it is usually:
blueberries or mixed berries
If I am feeling like something different I will do:
canned pumpkin
dash of nutmeg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

What's the reason for taking the frozen fruit out the night before?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1419484040|3807525 said:

I am guessing easier for the blades? My Vitamix works hard to break up frozen fruit. I just usually stick them in water to help defrost?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1419628207|3808050 said:

I am guessing easier for the blades? My Vitamix works hard to break up frozen fruit. I just usually stick them in water to help defrost?

Ok, that makes sense...I was wondering if there is any nutritional reason for the defrosted fruit...which sounds like there isn't, so we're ok on that front.

I've kinda fizzled out on making huge jugs of blended smoothies and sticking them in the fridge for everyone to drink during the week because the cost of all the ingredients. My son still will only eat organic... It's really hard to deal with now because of my grocery bill feeling like a billion dollars a week :o . I wish he'd cut loose with a mountain dew and bag of Doritos.

NTave

Shiny_Rock
I feed my family smoothies on on the go mornings. I love my Ninja. The kids favorite (I make for two) : a banana, vanilla greek yogurt, frozen strawberries, and a splash of oj. We keep a drawer of frozen fruit for different takes on it, but the strawberry banana is their favorite. I do not add sweetener, because the oj and yogurt, banana are already sugary. I use a chocolate protein shake powder just about everyday, but I don't add anything to it besides ice, because everything else adds calories and carbs.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry I just saw this. I think its a texture thing ? Ease of blending? Keep from fetting the large chunks of strawberry at the bottom of the blender. I have a nice kitchen aid blender and if you throw everyerything in at once I often have issues with the strawberries. To get around that though I throw the strawberries and the juice in first and blend them, then I throw in everything else. In my first trimester all I could eat for breakfast was smoothies and that was before I saw the Alton brown thing.

It also might have just been convenience. He threw everything in his blender basket the night before and just took it out of the fridge and blender it. He'd start low and make his way to the high setting and was finished with the whole thing in like 30 seconds maybe?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I love my mango matcha smoothie!

1 cup of any milk (I prefer vanilla soy)
1 1/2 cup of frozen mango
1 tbs Matcha Powder
2 cups ice

blend blend blend!

if I want it sweeter I'll add some agave or honey, but usually this is perfect.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't think all blenders can handle frozen stuff. It can be very hard on the blades and the motor. Our old blender died doing frozen stuff.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love smoothies, and make them all the time

I dont measure anything.

Frozen fruit, like bananas, berries, peaches, etc.
Plain yogurt
Sweetener, such as sugar or honey
Ice cubes
Dribble of vanilla or almond flavoring
A few shakes of cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, etc
Milk, cream, or some sort of juice, enough to create the right consistency

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone.

So far I've made a berry kale smoothie -- blueberries, kale, pomengranate juice. It was ok.

And, a pear blueberry yogurt smoothie. That was quite tasty!!

I definitely need more protein. I hadn't heard of hemp protein until I started looking up smoothie ideas. Better than soy protein, I guess?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
LV, I'd recommend putting just a little kale in your smoothies and ease into it before adding more. It can be very rough on one's system. Not that I'd know this from personal experience, of course. Just thought I'd put that out there...

I add skim milk (and sometimes vanilla or plain Greek yogurt), fresh or frozen mixed berries, a banana, and ice. If I remember, I sometimes also add baby spinach. Flax seeds are a good addition, too, but I usually forget to put them in.

I don't have a Vitamix, so I just use our blender. I was using our food processor, but I worried about damaging it because of the ice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results