shape
carat
color
clarity

Snaggletooth fad in Japan

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I saw this article when I logged out of my email this morning - I was intrigued. I don't find it attractive overall, but I must admit there's something endearing about the woman pictured, from a bit of a distance. She's already pretty, and the sim perfect teeth do give the illusion of youth. So not attractive, but endearing.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not attractive - just idiotic to me - particularly when you read the risks.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of these days, I want to hear about a beauty fad that imperils the health and well-being of men.

Seriously: just imagine the headlines.

"Men wax scalps to mimic male pattern baldness at special parties: they call it 'A Night on Bald Mountain.'"

"Dudes shelling out for special sock-stuffed boxers"

Present your own, ladies, I am just too damned tired. Seriously, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Alternately, I'd love it if women could collectively opt out of this nonsense. No more tooth-whitening/straightening/veneers/snaggletoothing, no more rib removal, no more toe amputation, no more labioplasty, no more of this expectation that women customize their bodies to the tastes of men like souped-up cars. In fact, that'd be better. Yeah.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with Circe. It would be lovely if women didn't feel like they had to modify - no matter what is. I'm personally waiting for hairy legs to come back. I hate shaving.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1359861167|3370882 said:
One of these days, I want to hear about a beauty fad that imperils the health and well-being of men.

"Men wax scalps to mimic male pattern baldness at special parties: they call it 'A Night on Bald Mountain.'"

Present your own, ladies, I am just too damned tired. Seriously, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Alternately, I'd love it if women could collectively opt out of this nonsense. No more tooth-whitening/straightening/veneers/snaggletoothing, no more rib removal, no more toe amputation, no more labioplasty, no more of this expectation that women customize their bodies to the tastes of men like souped-up cars. In fact, that'd be better. Yeah.

Amen! Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if we could just accept ourselves just the way we are without feeling deficient in some way?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1359861680|3370887 said:

Amen! Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if we could just accept ourselves just the way we are without feeling deficient in some way?

But then those "beauty" companies couldn't make all that money off you.

D

Deactivated member 42515

This is what I should be spending my money on! Not jewelry! Dammit! All that money wasted on diamonds when I could have been doing this!

lulu

Ideal_Rock

Amen. I can't imagine men doing this for us.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Well, these are the people who brought us "bagel foreheads" as a fashion statement . . .

Not to mention dressing up as dolls, cats, etc.

Oh, yeah, then there's that whole makeup as Manga characters with the anime eyes. So, snaggleteeth; why not? Just another odd moment in Japanese trends.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I lived in Japan 10 years ago, and at that time I noticed there were a fair number of girls with snaggle teeth - I think it's a fairly common naturally occuring phenomenon in the Japanese population. I asked about it and was told that people though it looked cute, and as long as the teeth were healthy there was no need to re-align them - and that it was it was considered feminine.

Artificialy creating the look is definitely a new fad, but I think the appreciation of alternate smiles has actually been a part of Japanese culture for a long time.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Amen.

Seriously though, what's that saying? Be the change you want to see... Well, I'm not doing any of that stuff, or any of the lesser but same-genre stuff. I opted out of it all a long time back. From daft looking shoes to ripping out hair. None of it, thanks. Odd, but nothing changed as a result. Sky didn't fall in, no one calls me Sir (or son on a good day). My husband didn't leave, the children don't fear me, it's all just business as usual, but easier. Nicer.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yet another example of how infantalizing grown women is considered "sexy" in Japan.

Hey everyone, let's make our teeth look like we are prepubescent and too young for braces!

Yuck.

ETA: Case and point: Here is the "band" that is making this look popular.

infantilizeteeth.png

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
It makes me sad that the article implies that imperfect (straight, white) teeth aren't desirable. I find American 'perfect' teeth equally as weird as Japanese 'snaggle' teeth!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not what I'm talking about when I'm going to be "vamp"-ing it up! :confused: :errrr:

I like Kirsten Dunst's snaggle tooth, but it's natural and endearing in its own way. Fake snaggles? I dislike these as much as bad chicklet veneers and blue-white teeth. :shock: :???:

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Snaggletooth had always been considered cute in Asia. I think because it looks youthful??? I wouldn't want the procedure since I would want to look like a 33 years old instead of a tween/young teen. But to each their own.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm 1/4 Japanese, and I have relatively straight teeth, and natural long and pointy fangs, a little bit of a snaggle-look on the right side. This is a natural trait among the Japanese. I kinda like it, and I never wanted braces. I do think it gives me a unique look, it doesn't affect my bite IMO, so not messing with it! Glad to my teeth will be embraced in Japan!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results