shape
carat
color
clarity

Sleeping Beauty - I CANNOT believe some Peeps!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 3:34:54 AM
Author: honey22
I find it hard to believe that you are very proud of your work if you sneakily gave her acrylics instead of gels, boasted about it on the internet and then posted a picture of your client without her permission! Instead of telling her in a few words that she needed to wake up in order for you to complete your service, you instead gave her a dodgy job and then came here to grizzle?!

In my book that''s totally unprofessional. And you are mad that you didn''t get a tip? You didn''t deserve one, sorry.

I accidently fell asleep having a deluxe mani/hand massage right before my wedding. I paid $100 for the service and I was flat out exhausted and stressed and when I got there, I didn''t even realise I was sleepy unti she woke me up to tell me that the french manicure looked terrible as I had fell asleep. You are the professional for crying out loud, why on earth didn''t you wake me up 10 mins ago to tell me that I was stuffing up the polish?!?!

I guess you didn''t read above posts that we do mix and match acrylics and gels depending on what shes does, she never really has all gels or all acrylics... I started with gels but when she started to fall asleep, i did acrylics ( actually it is a powder/resin system by Backscratchers - not the liquid and powder as you usually find in normal salons ) to make sure I could handle the hand navigation without having to misdirect her hands into the machine and scrape products making a mess all over the place and over her fingers

Maybe your tech didnt wake you cause she might have been stunned as well that you fell asleep and tried to accommodate you and did her best on your hand while you were taking a nap.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 5:13:09 AM
Author: mscushion
I am sorry that you are upset. However, I also don''t see the problem to be as big as you make it out to be. She has a habit of dozing off, as you said, and my guess is she was just really, really tired.

In my opinion, you should have woken her up gently to tell her you wouldn''t be able to do her gels if she was napping, not done gels on one hand and acrylics on the other without telling her.

Yes I think she was tired, in the last year, she has been doing the head drop then wake up... head drop, wake up, but never actually slept on my table. As I said above, in previous posts, we do mix and match systems cause her nails don''t do well on just one system. And she knows what I do, she has no problem if I do 6 fingers with gels and 4 with resin/acrylics, as long as they look nice, that is what she mostly cares about.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
We have been exchanging emails this morning. She did apologize for falling asleep and know it was hard for me to execute my work. She wanted to reschedule but since she had a recital Friday ( tomorrow ), she knew she couldn't come any other nights than last night and appreciated me working around her tiredness, she tried to fight to stay awake, but just couldn't - took her by surprise as well. We are going to try to do morning appointments instead and see if it will help with her schedule. Ironically, she said she liked the resin/spray method better than the gel 'cause it looks more uniform and thinner on the nails! We'll see if I can manage next to do all of her 10 nails with this system without problems in between fills ( she is rough on her nails ).

As we are finding a solution between her and I and she did apologize for sleeping while I was working - there is nothing really more needed here.

Thank you for listening.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 7:20:38 AM
Author: Amethyste
Date: 6/3/2010 3:34:54 AM

Author: honey22

I find it hard to believe that you are very proud of your work if you sneakily gave her acrylics instead of gels, boasted about it on the internet and then posted a picture of your client without her permission! Instead of telling her in a few words that she needed to wake up in order for you to complete your service, you instead gave her a dodgy job and then came here to grizzle?!

In my book that''s totally unprofessional. And you are mad that you didn''t get a tip? You didn''t deserve one, sorry.

I accidently fell asleep having a deluxe mani/hand massage right before my wedding. I paid $100 for the service and I was flat out exhausted and stressed and when I got there, I didn''t even realise I was sleepy unti she woke me up to tell me that the french manicure looked terrible as I had fell asleep. You are the professional for crying out loud, why on earth didn''t you wake me up 10 mins ago to tell me that I was stuffing up the polish?!?!

I guess you didn''t read above posts that we do mix and match acrylics and gels depending on what shes does, she never really has all gels or all acrylics... I started with gels but when she started to fall asleep, i did acrylics ( actually it is a powder/resin system by Backscratchers - not the liquid and powder as you usually find in normal salons ) to make sure I could handle the hand navigation without having to misdirect her hands into the machine and scrape products making a mess all over the place and over her fingers

Maybe your tech didnt wake you cause she might have been stunned as well that you fell asleep and tried to accommodate you and did her best on your hand while you were taking a nap.
if someone is getting a $100 manicure for their WEDDING day - do you think they should have to pay for it to be done over because the job was done poorly? I would expect the job to be done correctly even if it meant waking my dumb rude ass up!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I''d expect my nails to look nice - yes... just as much as we hope the clients to be awake to help us to achieve that.

The brides I did nails on never fell asleep, they were so nervous that it kept them up and going for days before they got married. :)

Lula

Ideal_Rock
This thread has me pulling out my hair! My gosh, people, Amethyste had a bad day at work -- and I might add, it's her second job at the end of the day, with a client that has been "difficult" in the past.

I read Amethyste's initial post as someone who simply came here to vent after a bad day at work, and you attack her character, her skills, etc.

Have none of you worked a second job? Have none of you ever had a client/customer (even a regular one) do something out of the ordinary that stunned you and you didn't know how to respond at the time? Sometimes it's just not possible to come up with the "perfect" response at the time. Sometimes clients/customers engage in their own passive-aggressive behavior because they know the person providing the service is powerless to stop them and it's a power trip.

Really, the end result her is that Amethyste did a great job on this person's nails, using her skills, as she mentioned, to make sure the woman left with a good-looking manicure DESPITE the fact that the customer made Amethyste's job more difficult.

Hindsight is 20-20, and it's easy for us to judge when we're on this end of the situation. It sounds like Amethyste has already taken steps to clarify the situation with the client.

This whole business about tips and "deserving" a tip is why I go to the only salon in my city that is a "tip-free" salon. The salon has signs posted at the front desk explaining that their employees are professionals and are paid as such, and tipping is not allowed. Funny thing is that this salon has the lowest turnover of any salon in town. Why should licensed professionals -- and nail techs are licensed in my state -- have to rely on tips?

I don't tip my lawyer or my doctor (though my friend's lawyer is doing such an awful job representing her in her divorce case, that maybe lawyers should rely on tips for their services -- oh, wait, that would be considered to be a bribe under the State Bar's Code of Professional Conduct!).

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 8:16:58 AM
Author: sarap333
This thread has me pulling out my hair! My gosh, people, Amethyste had a bad day at work -- and I might add, it's her second job at the end of the day, with a client that has been 'difficult' in the past.

I read Amethyste's initial post as someone who simply came here to vent after a bad day at work, and you attack her character, her skills, etc.

Have none of you worked a second job? Have none of you ever had a client/customer (even a regular one) do something out of the ordinary that stunned you and you didn't know how to respond at the time? Sometimes it's just not possible to come up with the 'perfect' response at the time. Sometimes clients/customers engage in their own passive-aggressive behavior because they know the person providing the service is powerless to stop them and it's a power trip.

Really, the end result her is that Amethyste did a great job on this person's nails, using her skills, as she mentioned, to make sure the woman left with a good-looking manicure DESPITE the fact that the customer made Amethyste's job more difficult.

Hindsight is 20-20, and it's easy for us to judge when we're on this end of the situation. It sounds like Amethyste has already taken steps to clarify the situation with the client.

This whole business about tips and 'deserving' a tip is why I go to the only salon in my city that is a 'tip-free' salon. The salon has signs posted at the front desk explaining that their employees are professionals and are paid as such, and tipping is not allowed. Funny thing is that this salon has the lowest turnover of any salon in town. Why should licensed professionals -- and nail techs are licensed in my state -- have to rely on tips?

I don't tip my lawyer or my doctor (though my friend's lawyer is doing such an awful job representing her in her divorce case, that maybe lawyers should rely on tips for their services -- oh, wait, that would be considered to be a bribe under the State Bar's Code of Professional Conduct!).

THank you Sara - I appreciate your words.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
well if you ever did MY nails (orange or otherwise) I would surely stay awake... yak yak yak :D

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I think this has been properly covered... and my opinion was that you guys were a little hard on Amethyste, but thats PS - tell it like it is.

I however now really want you to do my nails! My nails are horrible, I bite them! I know you do a great job, are accommodating, and ONLY CHARGE $25 for gels!!! Its more than double here! Will you travel to NJ???
25.gif

Sorry I had to make light of the situation - bottom line, she was upset, came her for support......

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto RBH, the only thing I take issue with is that you put acrylics on one side when she paid for gels on both. Now, I haven''t read the entire thread so I don''t know if you''ve addressed this or if the cost is the same, but she should have gotten what she paid for.

I''m sorry you have such challenging clients Ammy.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Thank you H_H

Yeah I covered that. I charge the same for either gels or arcylics as I don''t use the liquid powder as most salons do cause at my home i cannot use such offensive smells so i use a powder/resin/spray system.
and on her, we do both mix and match cause her nails are very tricky to do. Either way, she didn''t get cheated, i did supply the service and she got what she paid for.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 8:47:11 AM
Author: rhbgirl24
Wow, I think this has been properly covered... and my opinion was that you guys were a little hard on Amethyste, but thats PS - tell it like it is.

I however now really want you to do my nails! My nails are horrible, I bite them! I know you do a great job, are accommodating, and ONLY CHARGE $25 for gels!!! Its more than double here! Will you travel to NJ???
25.gif

Sorry I had to make light of the situation - bottom line, she was upset, came her for support......
I''d love to do your nails! If you ever come in my neck of the woods, i''d be happy to!
Thank you :)

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m just here to offer my hugs, Amethyste!
1.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 9:24:27 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I''m just here to offer my hugs, Amethyste!
1.gif
Thank you kindly Lauren!
By the way - I cannot stop viewing your pics!!!! I will comment later - but wow... Looks like you had a great time!!! :)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just saw this. Apparently the picture was taken down, because I didn't see it in your initial post, Amethyste. Who knows why the woman took a nap, but I think it's weird. If there was some sort of medical reason, I'd try to be understanding, but if it's just "hey, I'm a bit sleepy. You do your thing and I'll take a nap, okay?" I'd think that was rude too.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the one hand - she must have a lot of trust in you if she decided to sleep while you were doing her nails. I mean, I''d constantly check if someone doesn''t accidentally cut me, or whatever.

What surprizes me more is that she didn''t leave a tip. Not what is mean. Everyone knows that hairdressers and manicurists usually would get basic salary and yes, they do need tips. I just think that it is a) selfish, b) greedy and, c) inconsiderate. I always try to tip well people who invest their time in making me look nice. Even if I do not like the job - I still tip well. I had to change several hairdressers that I did not like, but I always left them good tips - for their time and effort.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 11:58:51 AM
Author: crasru
On the one hand - she must have a lot of trust in you if she decided to sleep while you were doing her nails. I mean, I''d constantly check if someone doesn''t accidentally cut me, or whatever.

What surprizes me more is that she didn''t leave a tip. Not what is mean. Everyone knows that hairdressers and manicurists usually would get basic salary and yes, they do need tips. I just think that it is a) selfish, b) greedy and, c) inconsiderate. I always try to tip well people who invest their time in making me look nice. Even if I do not like the job - I still tip well. I had to change several hairdressers that I did not like, but I always left them good tips - for their time and effort.
As far as the tipping goes, the only time I have not tipped for hair/nails is when I have gone to a salon for the first time and they refuse to accept tips on credit/debit cards (but WILL accept payment for the service with a card). To me, this indicates a few things 1) the salon does not care enough about its employees to handle the processing of tips and/or 2) the professionals do not plan to/wish to declare or pay taxes on tips received. While I understand that the credit card company takes a small fee, restaurants accept tips on credit cards all the time. I have a busy life, and sometimes it is all I can do to get there on time for my appointment, much less make an additional special trip to an ATM!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I was under the impression that you don''t tip the owner of a salon (for hair/nails/waxing/whatever) because all profit is *theirs* and they''re not reliant on tips. Am I wrong?

Has she tipped you before?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 8:21:33 AM

Date: 6/3/2010 8:16:58 AM
Author: sarap333
This thread has me pulling out my hair! My gosh, people, Amethyste had a bad day at work -- and I might add, it's her second job at the end of the day, with a client that has been 'difficult' in the past.

Have none of you worked a second job? Have none of you ever had a client/customer (even a regular one) do something out of the ordinary that stunned you and you didn't know how to respond at the time? Sometimes it's just not possible to come up with the 'perfect' response at the time. Sometimes clients/customers engage in their own passive-aggressive behavior because they know the person providing the service is powerless to stop them and it's a power trip.

This whole business about tips and 'deserving' a tip is why I go to the only salon in my city that is a 'tip-free' salon. The salon has signs posted at the front desk explaining that their employees are professionals and are paid as such, and tipping is not allowed. Funny thing is that this salon has the lowest turnover of any salon in town. Why should licensed professionals -- and nail techs are licensed in my state -- have to rely on tips?

THank you Sara - I appreciate your words.
I agree. She had a lousy day and was just coming to vent. Thats how I read it. Posting the photo, not the best judgement but who among us had not done something in our lives in anger that showed bad judgement.

I respect that she rectified the situation, dealt with her client directly, expressed her feelings and seems to have worked out a situation that satisfies both of them.

edited to add: Sure a tip is technically optional since its not part of the price tag, but to label her as entitled or bad attitude because she was complaining about not getting a tip? Again, she was just venting after a bad andI'm sure long day! I can't imagine getting a service, especially as a regular client and not tipping! I can't understand why she was frustrated and was simply venting about it because she worked hard.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 12:18:31 PM
Author: princesss
I was under the impression that you don''t tip the owner of a salon (for hair/nails/waxing/whatever) because all profit is *theirs* and they''re not reliant on tips. Am I wrong?

I use to go to someone who worked in a salon and then got licenced to work out of her home. It was not a salon so much as a private person licenced to do services out of her home. It shoulds like thats the situation here. And in the case of the woman I was going to, I know she was working really hard to make ends meet and I did consider her "owning" a salon, but rather working hard to make a living.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock

I''m curious about this too...tipping is always confusing to me when it comes to beauty services...

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock

Yes she has tipped me before - but she might have been in a dazed when it was time to pay...
I don''t own a salon - I do nails at my home on evenings and on Saturdays.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
the first time I went to a salon I didn''t tip - I had no idea you were supposed to tip. the person who did my nails happened to be someone my mom used to work with... my mom always did my hair and I''d never had a manicure before. When I talked to my mom later and relayed the "hello" messages she asked me how much I tipped her... I said, "tipped? I didn''t know you were supposed to tip" to which my mom said, "How do you think I supported us all those years?"

I was born into a salon - literally. My parents owned a salon in san francisco that took up half of our house. I learned to crawl amongst the hair clippings (even stuck a bobby pin in a socket once...), learned to walk around the chairs and skip down the aisle... I was adored by "the ladies" and I owned the place. My mom worked as a hairdresser and beautician all my life and STILL I had NO CLUE you gave tips to hairdressers.... none at all.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 12:50:13 PM

Yes she has tipped me before - but she might have been in a dazed when it was time to pay...
Okay, that''s kind of what I''m talking about - you don''t own a salon, but you''re also not paying rent to anybody/being paid a flat rate by anybody and counting on tips to make a living. You get to set your own prices, and you can raise them if you need to, right? So it doesn''t make sense to me to expect tips since after the cost of supplies, you pocket everything, not just tips.

I''m not trying to pick on you, sorry if it seems that way, you''re just the first person I''ve met who has their own business and provides a service like this and I''m curious (mostly because my stylist just opened his own place and I don''t know if I''m supposed to tip or not!). I just don''t know the tipping rules to situations like this.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2010 11:27:56 PM
Date: 6/2/2010 11:23:21 PM
Author: kenny
Date: 6/2/2010 10:54:03 PM
Author: Amethyst
but to actually sleep like this, she must know that it is almost impossible for me to do my job.
Did you tell her?
I thought it was pretty obvious?

Expecting that what is obvious to you is also obvious to others will bite you in the butt again and again.

Telling others what you expect is difficult at first but with practice it gets easier.
It is possible to explain expectations you feel are necessary (like this one) in a kind considerate way.
Doing this will improve your life.

Just a couple short sentences from you to her would have avoided all this upset you went through.
Accepting and adjusting to the fact that people are never going to be how I think they should be is one key to living a happier life.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I would not tip you either. Not because of anything you did or didn''t do, but because you work out of your home and set your own prices. I only tip professionals who work for other people. The only person I''ve ever tipped even though they worked for themselves was a friend''s mom who was doing my hair at a "friend price". I added ten bucks to my total each time she cut my hair because I knew that''s what she would have charged a stranger.

I''m sorry you had a frustrating day,though! I think you should be more direct in your expectations and maybe rethink your pricing if the no-tip thing bugs you.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think of tips as being for employees who are underpaid by their employers, not for business owners.

Oh and if you expect tips I hope you do not wear Lemony when you work.
I think wearing that beautiful 5+carat diamond would reduce your tips.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 1:52:28 PM

Okay, that''s kind of what I''m talking about - you don''t own a salon, but you''re also not paying rent to anybody/being paid a flat rate by anybody and counting on tips to make a living. You get to set your own prices, and you can raise them if you need to, right? So it doesn''t make sense to me to expect tips since after the cost of supplies, you pocket everything, not just tips.

I''m not trying to pick on you, sorry if it seems that way, you''re just the first person I''ve met who has their own business and provides a service like this and I''m curious (mostly because my stylist just opened his own place and I don''t know if I''m supposed to tip or not!). I just don''t know the tipping rules to situations like this.
Perhaps I do not own a full service salon - but i still dedicate a nice size room in my place to do my nails - pay for the electricity, hot water. I also pay business owner taxes ( about 40% + ) and such, so pocketing "everything", isn''t a whole lot in all honesty. In this economy, raising prices is a hard thing to do and need much considering - especially with so much competition out there. I will most likely raise my prices in January - since I have not in the last 5 years, the cost of living is still rising!

As people say, tipping is really to your discretion - if you receive a great service, and the tech/stylist went above and beyond to make you feel good and you like the result, the extra $$$ are really appreciated regardless if you own a salon or not.

I know you are not picking on me. :)

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 2:30:44 PM
Author: kenny
I think of tips as being for employees who are underpaid by their employers, and if you expect tips I hope you do not wear Lemony when you work.

I think wearing that beautiful 5+carat diamond would reduce your tips.

oh I see - that''s what the problem is!!! Since I own a nice ring (and SAVED MY WHOLE LIFE FOR IT), I don''t deserve to be tipped based on me performing a good job and service - in an industry that is normally a set standard?!

Having my ring has nothing to do with this. That''s a displaced thing to say!

And no, I don''t wear my ring when I clean and handle chemicals - doing nails is handling chemicals and it''s off.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 2:36:48 PM

Date: 6/3/2010 1:52:28 PM

Perhaps I do not own a full service salon - but i still dedicate a nice size room in my place to do my nails - pay for the electricity, hot water. I also pay business owner taxes ( about 40% + ) and such, so pocketing ''everything'', isn''t a whole lot in all honesty. In this economy, raising prices is a hard thing to do and need much considering - especially with so much competition out there. I will most likely raise my prices in January - since I have not in the last 5 years, the cost of living is still rising!

As people say, tipping is really to your discretion - if you receive a great service, and the tech/stylist went above and beyond to make you feel good and you like the result, the extra $$$ are really appreciated regardless if you own a salon or not.

I know you are not picking on me. :)
Thanks for the explanation, Amethyst! It''s one of those difficult lines, and I appreciate your input.

Glad you knew I wasn''t picking on you - I wanted to make sure because sometimes when I get curious my manners aren''t as good as they should be, so I wanted to make sure you knew why I was asking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results