shape
carat
color
clarity

Six long weeks to wait...

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
I have a naked left hand for the next six weeks ;(
My e-ring was too tight, and mindful of the fact that my knuckles are likely to swell as I get older (I'm forty-four and my mother had this problem in her seventies) and I will be wearing a wedding ring soon too, when we went to De Beers to get our wedding bands on Saturday, I asked about re-sizing. They could not have been more helpful and gave me choices but they were a little more complex than I expected. They could resize my ring but it would not bear re-sizing in the future as they do not re-size more than two sizes or multiple times. I want the rings I wear on my wedding day to be the rings I have for the rest of my life so I have opted to reset the ring now. The ring my fiancé bought me is a variant on their solitaire that has a very low setting (which he knew I preferred) however being so low, it has a doughnut that prevents the wedding band fitting flush, so since I was having a reset, I decided to go with their Classic setting which is similar (my friends and family probably wouldn't notice If I didn't tell them). The Classic is a little higher but still a cathedral setting and not high, and it is designed for the wedding band to fit flush. I was given a lead time of two weeks but they called me on Monday to say that unfortunately they do not have a setting for a 2 carat in my still tiny ring size of 3.5 and so it will have to be made up for me (at no extra cost) but with a lead time of six weeks. They offered to resize down a setting they do have that is one size larger, which they could do in two weeks but he said that if it were him, he would opt for the ring to be made from scratch in my size and I agree.

So no biggy I suppose but I am so missing my ring! I can't wait to have my diamond back. I am also worried as to whether I will like my ring as much in the new setting - obviously I think it will and I saw a smaller diamond and a 4 carat in that setting and they looked lovely.

On the plus side, he put my diamond in the IRIS machine and showed my all the sets of facets in turn - it was amazing! like a kaleidoscope. He also showed me the De Beers Forevermark engraved on the table facet. I knew it was supposed to be there but its hard to believe. I'm attaching a picture of the screen showing it under 200 x magnification.

We must have been in the store for a hour and a half. He took me downstairs to show me the on-site workshop and offices. The customer service is excellent. When I get all the rings back I will post a thread in SMTB.

_26041.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
You are going to miss seeing that blingy beauty on your hand everyday, but you'll have it back before you know it. Your original setting was gorgeous so I look forward to seeing the new one. I hope you do share pictures with us.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are gonna have to look at lots of photos to get over the wait!!! I hope it goes fast for you!

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Thank you ladies. I am looking at lots of photos, - of my rings and of everybody else's - to console myself!
Sundial, my new setting is a little higher than the old one and the profile is similar but the prongs meet in a V at the base of the stone whereas in my first setting here was a small gap at the bottom of the prongs and the culet sat in the doughnut. I think the band is 0.2 mm narrower and I preferred the width of my first band when worn alone, but then when I added the wedding ring to the new band it added width so I am happy with it and I will be wearing it with the wedding band all the time come July.

I will definitely add photos. I do hope I like it as much as the first setting. I think I may not without the wedding ring but that I will prefer it with the wedding ring - if that makes sense.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results