shape
carat
color
clarity

Six coal miners trapped in Utah mine collapse

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m with you. I''d love to shift away from a coal energy econonmy. Over 5000 people die every year in the world from coal mining "accidents." While the US has one of the lowest death rates... It still seems to many for me.

Perry

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
The news says it is going to take 3 days to get to the miners.
15.gif
I hope they get to them soon. These miners are still in my prayers.
emrose.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Thoughts and prayers with those poor people and their families. I come from generations of coal miners and news of an accident like this chills me to the bone. I hope they are out of there safe and sound as soon as possible. Their families must be going through hell right now.

Praying for good news soon

Jen

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember the Virginia (I think) coal miners who lost their lives maybe a couple of years ago when I read these articles about this topic. Now my heart goes out to these families and obviously the miners...I really hope everything turns out ok for everyone involved in this situation. So sad to be wondering about your loved ones and not being able to help. I just can''t imagine.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My heart also goes out to the families and the community. Recovery progress is not going well.... (the mine has further caved in where the rescue workers were working). If the mine really collapsed the miners may never be recovered (there is only hope if their is an intact room where the miners are... and it can be determined where the miners are located.

It also appears that the company was practicing a form of mining (retreat mining) where they mined the support pillars until that section of the mine caved in to recover the last usefull coal in the mine seam. It appears that the collapse of one area triggered much of the rest of the mine to collapse.

Perry

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Terrible terrible thing. I hope they make some progress digging toward them today.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, it sounds like that method of mining is very dangerous. I know its all about maximizing the profits but geez... I still hold on to the ray of hope that everyone will be able to get out safely.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
I hope the rescue workers are able to reach them. I think the last I heard they weren''t sure if the miners were still alive.
39.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
It''s just so sad...I hope they can get to them and they are all in my thoughts and prayers, too.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Any news on them yet? Prayers outgoing....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw the news: it''s so worrying that it''s been 1 week and the miners are still down there. I''d like to hold on to that thin ray of hope but after so many days have passed, I''m not sure sure if those guys can hold on that long.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
This is a terrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are also with the miners, their families and friends.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I hate that this still has to happen. I mean, I know that the US is so much better in terms of safety than other places in the world but it is still very sad. Mining is just a brutal industry in all its forms, I will never forget the first time I saw a copper mine.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
What a terrible tragedy. How sad.
39.gif
My thoughts are with the miners and their families.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update Two people working to find the miners were rushed to the hospital.
15.gif

Gosh, I feel for all these people working so hard to help rescue the miners.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2007 11:06:11 PM
Author: Skippy123
Update Two people working to find the miners were rushed to the hospital.
15.gif

Gosh, I feel for all these people working so hard to help rescue the miners.
Me too Skippy!!! This is such a tragic situation. My prayers go out to all involved.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
It''s just so sad how long they''ve been down there...I can''t imagine what their families are going through.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My condolences to the 3 rescue workers killed last night.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 rescue miners dead, and they have not made much progress at all on the tunnel to the area where the original miners were working (not even close). The mine is very unstable and continues to collapse at different parts.

As much as I feel for the families of the original miners. The chances of them being alive at this point are very very slim as they have not had food in 10 days and are in a cold mine (starvation & hypothermia would set in if they survived the cave in by now); and may not have had drinkable water for about as long. The chance of them being alive in a week or two from now when a tunnel might get to them is zip.

At some point a question has to be asked... Do we kill more people trying to recover the bodies? (with an understanding that we may never find the bodies even if a tunel is successfully dug to the general area).

An unfortunate truth about deep mining is that at times bodies are never recovered. All miners know this.

I think it is time to show compashion for the living and work to prevent any more injuries or loss of life in this mine. At least the families will know where their loved ones are buried - which is more than many other families know of missing ones.

This is a heatbreaking situation. I just don''t feel it is worth the cost of more lives.

Perry

warbirdx

Rough_Rock
This reminds me of the movie "Vertical Limit" with Chris O''Donnell. The premise of the movie is that his sister fell climbiing a mountain and needs rescue. He then proceeds to build a team of rescue climbers, about 8 to 10 people, and they all die one by one until he gets his sister back alive.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just a terrible situation. I would HATE to have a family member working in a mine. It has always been so dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results