shape
carat
color
clarity

::sigh::

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen and Cehra,

I don''t think I was worried about the color when I had the two stones here. They were both white outside in daylight for sure. However, I didn''t have a well cut F or G stone to compare. I''ve looked back at the pictures many times since Scott posted his unhappiness with the H. I did ask Jon about a 1.5 F stone that he has and he assured me there was very little face up difference between my stone and that one. The price of the F is $4000 more!!! So it would have to be outstanding to be worth that much difference. He still felt the 1.63 H was the best choice for me even though I was basically saying I''d go up to the F if I had to. That''s why I trust him... he could have easily encouraged me to buy the more expensive stone but did not.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
And ds, remember, that was a high H, correct?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2006 6:10:58 PM
Author: Ellen
Yes, he sent me a picture of the colormeter registering G to low G. But I really couldn''t see a difference between the true H and my almost G.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 6:04:16 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Well, I can tell you that I tried to only inquire about stones by email to multiple vendors at first. I did have two vendors send me a diamond at two different times. Because I was looking for a rare size, I sort of had to watch and wait for some to come along. Finally I ended up talking to Jonathan and he looked for stones for me. At that point I was only working with him, to be fair to him spending time looking for me. I see nothing wrong with telling more than one person what you''re looking for in case they have one in stock, but when it comes to having a vendor search wholesaler databases, I think you need to choose one.
Yeah... that''s pretty much what I was thinking except I called instead of emailed. I''m lousy at expressing myself in type - much better at talking! It''s tough when all of the vendors here are so trusted. It''s hard to choose just one... but I thought I did. Ooops! And really, I would still *readily* do business with this person, just don''t think he''s right for finding this type of stone. Competition is fierce out there... and I know a lot of them are buddies, but as a consumer, I do have to make a choice that is right for me. You''re right... plopping thousands down and making a good decision is so very important, especially when there is so much at stake emotionally in what the ring means.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 5:55:13 PM
Author: emeraldlover
I''ve been enjoying your posts very much, since I''m also looking for an antique diamond. Artdecodiamonds.com has pictures of a selection of their stock that they can email, and I haven''t noticed a fee mentioned, though there could be, I suppose...

I think for a lot of us, any large purchase is fraught with issues. I know it has certainly been a very enlightening process for me. Anyway, I just wanted to wish you good luck in your search, and to please keep posting!
1.gif
Oh, that''s sweet! Thank you :) I wish you the best of luck on your adventure :D It''s so exciting! In 15 years you''ll be sitting where I am, excited to know that someone is just about to launch on a continued journey to see just how much love can really bloom over the years! I''ll check out that site :) Or rather bookmark it... I''m expecting the hub to give me ''the look'' any minute now! lol

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 6:13:04 PM
Date: 7/22/2006 6:10:58 PM

Yes, he sent me a picture of the colormeter registering G to low G. But I really couldn''t see a difference between the true H and my almost G.
Well, that''s cuz there really isn''t much difference. If you couldn''t see the difference, and neither stone looked tinted to you (and I think you would have seen it if you were going to) I think you''re fine.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
And ds, just in case you''re wondering why I''m telling you an H is fine when I''m sitting here with a G? it''s simply because this stone popped up. I was really looking for an H VS2.
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 6:07:01 PM
Cehra, I doubt anyone expects you to make multiple foods for that kind of crowd! I married into a HUGE family, and get togethers were simple, although we could ask each other to bring a dish if we wanted. and no, everyone won't eat at the same time, it will work out. Relax and enjoy!
My dh is hispanic and I'm white and for years I did parties like I'd learned from my family - all too formal and everything done in advance and not very fun. My inlaws were up a few years ago when my dh graduated and we had a party weekend and then a few weekends later I used some of her techniques at the birthday bash and voila! success! and soooo easy!!! She told me, "Sara, anyone close enough to you to invite to your house is close enough to you to help you out at the party" so I started giving out tasks to people who asked if they could help, and wow... made it so much easier and people got more comfortable with their little jobs and would start talking to one another... every party since has been wonderful. I used to say, "nope, nothing for you to do, got it all under control - you can just stand there, and I'll get you another drink." now I'm like, "sure, would you cut these apples and help yourself to anything in the house - the glasses are over there, you're welcome to whatever you can find" LOL!

add - I used to make people feel like honored guests, now I try to make them feel at home.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 6:08:57 PM
Ellen and Cehra,

I don''t think I was worried about the color when I had the two stones here. They were both white outside in daylight for sure. However, I didn''t have a well cut F or G stone to compare. I''ve looked back at the pictures many times since Scott posted his unhappiness with the H. I did ask Jon about a 1.5 F stone that he has and he assured me there was very little face up difference between my stone and that one. The price of the F is $4000 more!!! So it would have to be outstanding to be worth that much difference. He still felt the 1.63 H was the best choice for me even though I was basically saying I''d go up to the F if I had to. That''s why I trust him... he could have easily encouraged me to buy the more expensive stone but did not.
wow! what a testimony!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 6:21:52 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Cehra, I doubt anyone expects you to make multiple foods for that kind of crowd! I married into a HUGE family, and get togethers were simple, although we could ask each other to bring a dish if we wanted. and no, everyone won''t eat at the same time, it will work out. Relax and enjoy!

My dh is hispanic and I''m white and for years I did parties like I''d learned from my family - all too formal and everything done in advance and not very fun. My inlaws were up a few years ago when my dh graduated and we had a party weekend and then a few weekends later I used some of her techniques at the birthday bash and voila! success! and soooo easy!!! She told me, ''Sara, anyone close enough to you to invite to your house is close enough to you to help you out at the party'' so I started giving out tasks to people who asked if they could help, and wow... made it so much easier and people got more comfortable with their little jobs and would start talking to one another... every party since has been wonderful. I used to say, ''nope, nothing for you to do, got it all under control - you can just stand there, and I''ll get you another drink.'' now I''m like, ''sure, would you cut these apples and help yourself to anything in the house - the glasses are over there, you''re welcome to whatever you can find'' LOL!

add - I used to make people feel like honored guests, now I try to make them feel at home.
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 4:59:51 PM

Date: 7/21/2006 9:25:17 PM
Author: Mara

Date: 7/21/2006 9:21:44 PM

Date: 7/21/2006 9:11:46 PM

Date: 7/21/2006 9:05:16 PM
Author: hlmr
Awwwww, Mara, everyone is feeling guilty now for trying the PS saints' patience.............
2.gif
37.gif
31.gif
haha heather, i guess i have the knack for saying what people are thinking but never actually SAY...
31.gif

i actually love living vicariously through people with their upgrades or settings or similar, but people have to at some point, help themselves in order for PS'ers to help them get further on their decisions.
I'm sorry that my posts have been irritating. I'll try to cool it. ::turns off computer::
oh come on now, honestly, without the drama, i don't think it's too much to ask after how many posts you have so far on this one topic to actually get into a store and SEE SOME STONES before continuing on with more advice??
33.gif
am i really smoking the crack pipe here?!?!?
Actually Mara, I wasn't seeking advice in this thread... I was seeking some support, mostly emotional. It wasn't, for me, an 'I need a kick in the pants' day.
Sorry, but sometimes those days just happen! Especially when you are posting on a very public forum. You will get lots of opinions, some you like and some you just really don't. As for people who don't want to read your posts or respond to them won't...it's kind of hard to entirely bypass a thread when the subject of the post is ::sigh:: and it's in the Hangout...that could mean anything. So of course I open it to see just what is so bothersome, and then of course I just HAVE to respond.
9.gif

Anyway, you seem to be well taken care of at this point by some other very patient PS members, so have fun with your search, wherever it takes you!!
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2006 6:34:15 PM

Date: 7/22/2006 6:21:52 PM

Cehra, I doubt anyone expects you to make multiple foods for that kind of crowd! I married into a HUGE family, and get togethers were simple, although we could ask each other to bring a dish if we wanted. and no, everyone won''t eat at the same time, it will work out. Relax and enjoy!

My dh is hispanic and I''m white and for years I did parties like I''d learned from my family - all too formal and everything done in advance and not very fun. My inlaws were up a few years ago when my dh graduated and we had a party weekend and then a few weekends later I used some of her techniques at the birthday bash and voila! success! and soooo easy!!! She told me, ''Sara, anyone close enough to you to invite to your house is close enough to you to help you out at the party'' so I started giving out tasks to people who asked if they could help, and wow... made it so much easier and people got more comfortable with their little jobs and would start talking to one another... every party since has been wonderful. I used to say, ''nope, nothing for you to do, got it all under control - you can just stand there, and I''ll get you another drink.'' now I''m like, ''sure, would you cut these apples and help yourself to anything in the house - the glasses are over there, you''re welcome to whatever you can find'' LOL!

36.gif
I agree! Good for you!
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen and Cehra,

This is so funny but InsaneMembrane just posted about his I color stone he recently chose in person at Good Old Gold! So I think color is just such a personal thing that we shouldn''t let others influence us too much in either direction. I keep telling myself that anyway!
19.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 7:45:37 PM
Ellen and Cehra,

This is so funny but InsaneMembrane just posted about his I color stone he recently chose in person at Good Old Gold! So I think color is just such a personal thing that we shouldn''t let others influence us too much in either direction. I keep telling myself that anyway!
19.gif

DS, i think your stone is going to be pleny white. don''t worry, you picked a winner
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 7:02:59 PM

Date: 7/22/2006 4:59:51 PM

Date: 7/21/2006 9:25:17 PM

Date: 7/21/2006 9:21:44 PM

Date: 7/21/2006 9:11:46 PM

Date: 7/21/2006 9:05:16 PM
Author: hlmr
Awwwww, Mara, everyone is feeling guilty now for trying the PS saints'' patience.............
2.gif
37.gif
31.gif
haha heather, i guess i have the knack for saying what people are thinking but never actually SAY...
31.gif

i actually love living vicariously through people with their upgrades or settings or similar, but people have to at some point, help themselves in order for PS''ers to help them get further on their decisions.
I''m sorry that my posts have been irritating. I''ll try to cool it. ::turns off computer::
oh come on now, honestly, without the drama, i don''t think it''s too much to ask after how many posts you have so far on this one topic to actually get into a store and SEE SOME STONES before continuing on with more advice??
33.gif
am i really smoking the crack pipe here?!?!?
Actually Mara, I wasn''t seeking advice in this thread... I was seeking some support, mostly emotional. It wasn''t, for me, an ''I need a kick in the pants'' day.
Sorry, but sometimes those days just happen! Especially when you are posting on a very public forum. You will get lots of opinions, some you like and some you just really don''t. As for people who don''t want to read your posts or respond to them won''t...it''s kind of hard to entirely bypass a thread when the subject of the post is ::sigh:: and it''s in the Hangout...that could mean anything. So of course I open it to see just what is so bothersome, and then of course I just HAVE to respond.
9.gif

Anyway, you seem to be well taken care of at this point by some other very patient PS members, so have fun with your search, wherever it takes you!!
1.gif
Thank you, Mara. I understand fully how it feels to be compelled to respond. But, I''ll tone it down.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 7:45:37 PM
Ellen and Cehra,

19.gif
It''s a beautiful stone :) It just needs to hurry up and jump on your finger!! LOL :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra Cehra Cehra! You live the SF bay area right? Between all the Psers in the Bay area I bet they can give you the name of three or four TOP SHELF jewelers with a nice selection of older stones. If that fails... a trip to Carmel is the way to go. I REALLY think that if you set your mind to it, set out early one morning in the middle of the week and went for it you could go to at least 4 jewelers between the SF, burlingame, and Palo Alto/ melo/ saratoga/ atherton.

Didn't read the whole thread... but honey after all the effort and time you've put into this... I think that a bling research trip is required for you. It's not like you live in the wilds of Wisconsin. You're in the SF Bay Area! Take advantage of it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gyspy,
I think i remember reading she lives in Oregon...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 11:08:48 PM
Author: Gypsy
Cehra Cehra Cehra! You live the SF bay area right? Between all the Psers in the Bay area I bet they can give you the name of three or four TOP SHELF jewelers with a nice selection of older stones. If that fails... a trip to Carmel is the way to go. I REALLY think that if you set your mind to it, set out early one morning in the middle of the week and went for it you could go to at least 4 jewelers between the SF, burlingame, and Palo Alto/ melo/ saratoga/ atherton.

Didn''t read the whole thread... but honey after all the effort and time you''ve put into this... I think that a bling research trip is required for you. It''s not like you live in the wilds of Wisconsin. You''re in the SF Bay Area! Take advantage of it.
MrsSalvo is correct - I am in oregon... but will be traveling through SF in about a week and a half and again on the way back up from SD. I won''t have a ton of time, as I''d like to visit with friends and family, but I''m seriously considering taking the time while I''m there. DH will be on vacation and with the kids so I can get away. I''m still thinking I should bling research my butt out to NY! LOL There''s only ONE place here that I know of with old stones and I didn''t much like talking to the man... and I know this isn''t a good week to try to get down there. But we''ll see... I feel better... I felt really rushed (by myself) and now I feel more like eh, what''s another few weeks? So I''ll just wind down a bit, get out and see what I can find (along with my contacts - yay!). I hope everyone''s having a great summer!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHOOPS!!!

SORRY!

Well, the opportunity is there... a drive through Carmel wouldn''t be too bad of a detour if you took 101 up from S Cal. 101 would also take you by Palo Alto area -- it would be a detour as 5 straight up would be the most effiecient way to go-- but I think it would be worth the time if you can spare it. If you only have time to stop in to Carmel... you can take 680-580-5 from 101 when you hit San Jose. If you have a little more time I''d get a hotel for the night around Palo Alto-- I *think* there is a good antique jeweler is Burlingame... but it''s been so long since I''ve lived there that I could be wrong.

But I''m sure LA would even have some places to go and San Diego. San Diego is SO pretty I''m so jealous. Have fun when you are there. It''s one of my favorite places to go. I used to spend summers out there when my aunt lived there. SO much fun.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 11:43:13 PM
WHOOPS!!!

SORRY!

Well, the opportunity is there... a drive through Carmel wouldn''t be too bad of a detour if you took 101 up from S Cal. 101 would also take you by Palo Alto area -- it would be a detour as 5 straight up would be the most effiecient way to go-- but I think it would be worth the time if you can spare it. If you only have time to stop in to Carmel... you can take 680-580-5 from 101 when you hit San Jose. If you have a little more time I''d get a hotel for the night around Palo Alto-- I *think* there is a good antique jeweler is Burlingame... but it''s been so long since I''ve lived there that I could be wrong.

But I''m sure LA would even have some places to go and San Diego. San Diego is SO pretty I''m so jealous. Have fun when you are there. It''s one of my favorite places to go. I used to spend summers out there when my aunt lived there. SO much fun.
I think carmel is out this trip... we''re hauling our camper and I hate being on hwy 1 for any length of time LOL but I might be able to find time in SF (maybe) and I''m sure I can find some time in SD - in fact that is probably where I should focus my efforts since we''ll be there fairly uninterrupted for several days and I''ll have *tons* of family I can leave the kids with - in fact I bet I could take the hub with me! Hehe - when we were dating we went by a jeweler in the mall in la mesa that had a 58k ring in the window (this was in 1990) with a 8 carat center diamond and several close to 1 carat diamonds... tw was 12! LOL It was insane and I doubt it was ever actually worn. I''ll do a seach on SD jewelers and make some calls on monday or tuesday.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2006 12:45:01 AM

Date: 7/22/2006 11:43:13 PM
WHOOPS!!!

SORRY!

I think carmel is out this trip... we''re hauling our camper and I hate being on hwy 1 for any length of time LOL but I might be able to find time in SF (maybe) and I''m sure I can find some time in SD - in fact that is probably where I should focus my efforts since we''ll be there fairly uninterrupted for several days and I''ll have *tons* of family I can leave the kids with - in fact I bet I could take the hub with me! Hehe - when we were dating we went by a jeweler in the mall in la mesa that had a 58k ring in the window (this was in 1990) with a 8 carat center diamond and several close to 1 carat diamonds... tw was 12! LOL It was insane and I doubt it was ever actually worn. I''ll do a seach on SD jewelers and make some calls on monday or tuesday.
I just read this over and I swear I sound so wishy washy! LOL I really am not this bad... are there other symptoms to DOCD or DDS? memory loss? confusion? decision making issues? LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results