shape
carat
color
clarity

::sigh::

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehra, don''t worry, there are plenty of us who have been undecided about what we want and limited access to seeing stones. I haven''t a clue where I could go see an OEC or OMC, much less see multiple stones to compare. For that matter, I had virtually nowhere to go see hearts and arrows round stones. I did go to a nearby city to look at a couple of Hearts on Fire stones and I went to Tiffany''s to look at size and color. But the lighting was so bad that I couldn''t tell a thing about color. So you may end up doing like me and order some rings to look at as long as there is a good return policy. I will say that it is hard enough to find a new round brilliant and it adds lots of difficulty to look for old cut stones. Good luck!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2006 9:25:17 PM
Author: Mara

Date: 7/21/2006 9:21:44 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 7/21/2006 9:11:46 PM
Author: Mara

Date: 7/21/2006 9:05:16 PM
Author: hlmr
Awwwww, Mara, everyone is feeling guilty now for trying the PS saints'' patience.............
2.gif
37.gif
31.gif
haha heather, i guess i have the knack for saying what people are thinking but never actually SAY...
31.gif

i actually love living vicariously through people with their upgrades or settings or similar, but people have to at some point, help themselves in order for PS''ers to help them get further on their decisions.
I''m sorry that my posts have been irritating. I''ll try to cool it. ::turns off computer::
oh come on now, honestly, without the drama, i don''t think it''s too much to ask after how many posts you have so far on this one topic to actually get into a store and SEE SOME STONES before continuing on with more advice??
33.gif
am i really smoking the crack pipe here?!?!?
Actually Mara, I wasn''t seeking advice in this thread... I was seeking some support, mostly emotional. It wasn''t, for me, an "I need a kick in the pants" day.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2006 9:38:06 PM
Author: hlmr

My joke wasn''t at all directed at you cehrabehra. I had just been noticing that some people were feeling a little bit guilty for being indecisive at one point or another on PS (which is very normal
2.gif
). It is an interactive process and looking at some stones would be a great way to really see what you like and don''t like. Honestly, people are here to help and wish you well in your search but you do have to do some homework too.
34.gif
I didn''t take your joke the wrong way - I know I''ve been posting a lot and I will do my best to slow it down.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2006 10:09:34 PM
Author: Pricescope
Look Chehra, i made a new one with engraving and it''s for OMC, i really like those stones and think if you ask a pro to find fiery one for you they will.
You are so sweet :) Really, very thoughtful! I don''t want to go into all of the details here, but I was waiting for one vendor because I wanted to give HIM my business, but it''s probably not the right time for him to undertake this sort of quest, so I''ve branched out a bit, but feel conflicted over how to deal with vendors in general - I felt compelled to ''interview'' them all, but forming a good working relationship is important and I don''t want anyone to feel like I''m just a vendor whore... and yet I do think I need to be particular concerning this semi-unusual stone. I have contacted someone who has leads though, so I do have something to hold on to, I''m just impatient! It''s so easy to do searches on rounds while I wait. I have to stop that! LOL I feel like I should only work with one vendor at a time, but I''m not sure that''s good either... I just don''t know! Is there a primer on vendor etiquette? LOL

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
c- the folks here really do want to help you. i think many of us here can''t really offer any more helpful advice until you go and see some stones in person. everything else is just our opinions told over and over. Please don''t feel that you can''t post or shouldn''t post as much. Post away. Several of us have given good suggestions like contacting Mark T for cushions or Dave Atlas for old stones and it seems like you haven''t even pursued those options and now you just want to buy a round. Ok, so research rounds and fine a killer one, but until you see some it''s so hard to know what you''re eye will like. If you''re getting ready to spend a lot of money on a ring I think it''s worth the couple hour drive, babysitter fee, etc..to a jeweler. heck, I drove 9 hours to Pearlmans to look at settings
2.gif
(i was also there to visit family, but still made it a point to drive the extra distance without the kids to visit Bill). try to figure out a way and make it happen. we''d love to hear your experience and what you find out
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2006 10:11:25 PM
Author: Ellen
Cehra, I can relate.

So, I decided to go with a round again. As much as I wanted different, I wanted sparkles more. I now have a stunning round, and I have not once regretted my decision. And I''m so glad the jeweler didn''t take my offer, as I think I would be in a world of regret right now.

So, go, look, follow your heart. I believe you will end up with what is meant to be!
I think that whatever stone ends up on my finger and is given as a profession of love from my husband will be something I could never regret... and that does weigh on me when I want the stone yesterday - well really 15 years ago! LOL Turning off the computer and cuddling up with dh on the couch helped put all of this in a bit more perspective :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2006 10:26:04 PM
Author: emeraldlover
Cehra, what area are you from?

I looked at a large selection OMCs and OECs earlier this week for the first time. They''re lovely! I''m going to second Mara and say, though, that you need to see them in person and add that every shape looks sooo different on your hand.

The old cuts show a lot of flashes of different color. Not the kind of thing I''d depend on a monitor for.
The thing I like about the OMCs that I''m attracted to, is the way the facets reflect... the way the culet reflects in the bezel facets for example... even without scintillation, fire, or brilliance, the stones are just beautiful to look at! :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2006 10:38:29 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I have a huge passion for OEC''s and OMC''s. If that''s what you truly want stick with it. Have you contacted Fay Cullen??
No, I haven''t... I''ve done searches on her site and have found several settings I like, but I don''t like the quality she has for OMC. The cuts she has listed are very average... but I''d still try that route if I didn''t have to pay $75 to look at pictures of a stone! I just don''t think that''s the route for me. It feels too binding and not promising enough.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 3:58:45 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Cehra, don''t worry, there are plenty of us who have been undecided about what we want and limited access to seeing stones. I haven''t a clue where I could go see an OEC or OMC, much less see multiple stones to compare. For that matter, I had virtually nowhere to go see hearts and arrows round stones. I did go to a nearby city to look at a couple of Hearts on Fire stones and I went to Tiffany''s to look at size and color. But the lighting was so bad that I couldn''t tell a thing about color. So you may end up doing like me and order some rings to look at as long as there is a good return policy. I will say that it is hard enough to find a new round brilliant and it adds lots of difficulty to look for old cut stones. Good luck!
Thank you :) My latest lead discovery looks very promising and I''m excited - too excited! I need to just back off from the whole diamond issue for a bit and wait to see what turns up down that alley :) I really hope it''s not a dead end (I don''t think it is)... the last situation left me very disappointed. I didn''t realize how disappointed I was until I took some time to reflect on this thread. I apologize to everyone for my little whine-fest
3.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 5:11:58 PM
Author: mrssalvo
c- the folks here really do want to help you. i think many of us here can''t really offer any more helpful advice until you go and see some stones in person. everything else is just our opinions told over and over. Please don''t feel that you can''t post or shouldn''t post as much. Post away. Several of us have given good suggestions like contacting Mark T for cushions or Dave Atlas for old stones and it seems like you haven''t even pursued those options and now you just want to buy a round. Ok, so research rounds and fine a killer one, but until you see some it''s so hard to know what you''re eye will like. If you''re getting ready to spend a lot of money on a ring I think it''s worth the couple hour drive, babysitter fee, etc..to a jeweler. heck, I drove 9 hours to Pearlmans to look at settings
2.gif
(i was also there to visit family, but still made it a point to drive the extra distance without the kids to visit Bill). try to figure out a way and make it happen. we''d love to hear your experience and what you find out
1.gif
The evolution of a diamond buyer! LOL I have taken the advice and contacted the people - ALL of them ... but during initial contact I did think I wanted a cushion, but I knew it wasn''t a typical cushion... I knew the stone I liked, but I didn''t have confirmation that the stone that was listed on GOG as a cushion but was in fact a new OMC. I think it was about a week or two ago that I figured that one out... I wanted to know personal descriptions of them, I searched like a mad dog for days and days for any/all I could find. I was planning a long drive to a vendor but I don''t think that''s going to work... at this point I really just want to get on with it. I don''t feel comfortable spilling the details of all I''ve done/been through off the boards, because I''d like to protect the privacy and reputation of those I''ve dealt with and am dealing with. So there''s definitely more than I''ve put out here.. mostly here I''ve been hungry... and everyone was so nice it was hard not to keep asking! Seriously, I''m going to cool it... not just for everyone here''s sake, but for mine and my husband and my kids. Diamond obsession overload! LOL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehra, truly, those of us who have been in your shoes understand. When planning to spend thousands of dollars, we want to find the perfect ring and setting. And with literally millions of stones and settings from which to choose, it is overwhelming. It does help to post and get opinions here. The great thing is, if someone is not interested in a thread, they can skip it. For me personally, I can't even look at all the forums, much less all the threads. So you should feel free to post whenever you want and those who wish can answer. This can be a really fun experience and emotional at the same time. PS can be like a support group for diamond OCD! We just have to be patient with one another!

ETA: If you saw the kind of stone you liked on GOG, then I wouldn't hestitate to just tell Jonathan what you want and have him look for it. He has integrity, is very honest, and knows diamonds very well. And even then, they still have a 30 day return policy!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra, no need to apologize. You are undoubtedly very analytical, I can relate there too. lol

My whole family is the same, although I am the best of the bunch. I can take a while to make a decision on something important, and the rest of them are still pondering months later. ;-)

And naturally you''d come here to express your thoughts, this place is the ONLY place people understand "our" issues.
9.gif

So hang in there, that perfect diamond is just sitting somewhere, waiting for you to find it.
5.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 5:35:16 PM
Cehra, truly, those of us who have been in your shoes understand. When planning to spend thousands of dollars, we want to find the perfect ring and setting. And with literally millions of stones and settings from which to choose, it is overwhelming. It does help to post and get opinions here. The great thing is, if someone is not interested in a thread, they can skip it. For me personally, I can''t even look at all the forums, much less all the threads. So you should feel free to post whenever you want and those who wish can answer. This can be a really fun experience and emotional at the same time. PS can be like a support group for diamond OCD! We just have to be patient with one another!
*small threadjack*

Love your av!
2.gif

*end threadjack*

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra, truly, those of us who have been in your shoes understand. When planning to spend thousands of dollars, we want to find the perfect ring and setting. And with literally millions of stones and settings from which to choose, it is overwhelming. It does help to post and get opinions here. The great thing is, if someone is not interested in a thread, they can skip it. For me personally, I can''t even look at all the forums, much less all the threads. So you should feel free to post whenever you want and those who wish can answer. This can be a really fun experience and emotional at the same time. PS can be like a support group for diamond OCD! We just have to be patient with one another!
Thank you! That made me smile and that''s a good thing :) What I SHOULD be doing is asking for thoughts on make-ahead food ideas to feed 60 people, mostly kids LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 5:37:14 PM
Cehra, no need to apologize. You are undoubtedly very analytical, I can relate there too. lol

My whole family is the same, although I am the best of the bunch. I can take a while to make a decision on something important, and the rest of them are still pondering months later. ;-)

And naturally you''d come here to express your thoughts, this place is the ONLY place people understand ''our'' issues.
9.gif

So hang in there, that perfect diamond is just sitting somewhere, waiting for you to find it.
5.gif
LOL! I can be a tough-to-decide person, the good news is I *rarely* regret my choice LOL As for that last line... oh that is so how I feel... it''s calling me! LOL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2006 5:40:42 PM

*small threadjack*

Love your av!
2.gif

*end threadjack*
Aww, thanks Ellen! (I''ll have to be honest and tell you, speaking of diamond OCD, that Scott''s unhappiness with his wonderful H diamond really threw me off a little.
23.gif
)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

ETA: If you saw the kind of stone you liked on GOG, then I wouldn''t hestitate to just tell Jonathan what you want and have him look for it. He has integrity, is very honest, and knows diamonds very well. And even then, they still have a 30 day return policy!
bahahaha - it didn''t help that they were gone for 10 days during my diamond ephiphany! Everything is pretty much on hold until tuesday anyway...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ds, I know. Me too...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I chose a stone the day before he left. Fortunately I have been out of town for a few days and haven''t had time to think of settings, second guess the diamond, etc.

(Food for 60 kids? Pizza and hot dogs would be my menu!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 5:48:42 PM

Yep, or sloppy joes and chips.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 5:44:50 PM

*small threadjack*

Love your av!
2.gif

*end threadjack*
Aww, thanks Ellen! (I''ll have to be honest and tell you, speaking of diamond OCD, that Scott''s unhappiness with his wonderful H diamond really threw me off a little.
23.gif
)
The guy on RT who had the ''yellow'' H? Maybe some people are really concerned with having a bright white stone... I like the way yellow plays in the mix with blue and red being such prominent ''fire'' colors. I''ve got nothing against D stones, but I think I prefer those that have a little more depth. What do you like?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2006 5:46:49 PM
ds, I know. Me too...
Well, I mean it made me wonder if I made the wrong decision. He has a terrific Isee2 well-cut stone. It just worries me that he sees a tint.

Sorry Cehra for the thread-jack....just illustrating that we all need support in our indecision!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2006 5:50:06 PM

Date: 7/22/2006 5:44:50 PM

Cehra, truly, those of us who have been in your shoes understand. When planning to spend thousands of dollars, we want to find the perfect ring and setting. And with literally millions of stones and settings from which to choose, it is overwhelming. It does help to post and get opinions here. The great thing is, if someone is not interested in a thread, they can skip it. For me personally, I can't even look at all the forums, much less all the threads. So you should feel free to post whenever you want and those who wish can answer. This can be a really fun experience and emotional at the same time. PS can be like a support group for diamond OCD! We just have to be patient with one another!
*small threadjack*

Love your av!
2.gif

*end threadjack*
Aww, thanks Ellen! (I'll have to be honest and tell you, speaking of diamond OCD, that Scott's unhappiness with his wonderful H diamond really threw me off a little.
23.gif
)
The guy on RT who had the 'yellow' H? Maybe some people are really concerned with having a bright white stone... I like the way yellow plays in the mix with blue and red being such prominent 'fire' colors. I've got nothing against D stones, but I think I prefer those that have a little more depth. What do you like?
Cehra, right now I have an F, but it's not a great cut. But I am used to a very bright, white stone. So I am not sure how low I can go and be happy. Sometimes I think I should just bite the bullet and get another F and have a totally mind clean stone. But it really boosts the price!!! (yes, you have the right thread in mind)

mia15

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been enjoying your posts very much, since I''m also looking for an antique diamond. Artdecodiamonds.com has pictures of a selection of their stock that they can email, and I haven''t noticed a fee mentioned, though there could be, I suppose...

I think for a lot of us, any large purchase is fraught with issues. I know it has certainly been a very enlightening process for me. Anyway, I just wanted to wish you good luck in your search, and to please keep posting!
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 5:50:04 PM

Date: 7/22/2006 5:48:42 PM

Yep, or sloppy joes and chips.
In the past we had it at a park and it was about 35 kids, 25 adults... we did burgers and hot dogs and potato salad and fruit salad and cake... I feel like I should make MORE or something since this party is at our house and is a 12 hour party... I was thinking the above for lunch and maybe a pizza for dinner would be a good idea... I''m hoping the party will be smaller. Or at least spread out over those 12 hours because I can''t *sit* 60 people without renting tables and chairs and I really don''t want to go there if I don''t have to lol We have several ''out buildings'' here and one has two tables and can seat about 12 plus a couch and two chairs... then there''s the house and basement and a couple picnic tables outside... slip n slides and water balloons... I don''t imagine everyone will be sitting at the same time. All 3 of our kids have their birthdays the same week so we have one big party for all of them. I think the stress of the party is part of what made me lose my cool yesterday. The next three weeks are going to be really busy and I wanted to get as much done with the diamond stuff as I could before that... but I put all of my effort in one direction and that was a mistake I think. Really - is there a vendor primer?????? LOL Is it ''bad'' to be talking to two guys at the same time? It feels disloyal but yet limiting... I dunno!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 5:51:16 PM

ds, I know. Me too...
Well, I mean it made me wonder if I made the wrong decision. He has a terrific Isee2 well-cut stone. It just worries me that he sees a tint.

Sorry Cehra for the thread-jack....just illustrating that we all need support in our indecision!
Oh, you''re welcome to this space! I know you saw the diamonds in person... were you worried then?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 5:51:16 PM

ds, I know. Me too...

Oh! No, I don''t think you did. You spent many hours with that stone. Long enough, in my opinion, to see it, if you were going to.

I''ve got a VERY descriminating eye, and I see NO tint to my G....

Don''t worry.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I can tell you that I tried to only inquire about stones by email to multiple vendors at first. I did have two vendors send me a diamond at two different times. Because I was looking for a rare size, I sort of had to watch and wait for some to come along. Finally I ended up talking to Jonathan and he looked for stones for me. At that point I was only working with him, to be fair to him spending time looking for me. I see nothing wrong with telling more than one person what you''re looking for in case they have one in stock, but when it comes to having a vendor search wholesaler databases, I think you need to choose one.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 5:53:26 PM

Date: 7/22/2006 5:50:06 PM

The guy on RT who had the ''yellow'' H? Maybe some people are really concerned with having a bright white stone... I like the way yellow plays in the mix with blue and red being such prominent ''fire'' colors. I''ve got nothing against D stones, but I think I prefer those that have a little more depth. What do you like?
Cehra, right now I have an F, but it''s not a great cut. But I am used to a very bright, white stone. So I am not sure how low I can go and be happy. Sometimes I think I should just bite the bullet and get another F and have a totally mind clean stone. But it really boosts the price!!! (yes, you have the right thread in mind)
Mind clean... what a concept! Isn''t there always a "what if"? It weighs on me because I know this is it for me... and I''ve already suffered the DDS without even having a first diamond! lol The stone you''re looking at is an H also? Gosh, I''ve seen nothing for me that would indicate an H wouldn''t be a great color. (btw I have looked at a lot of diamonds, they were just before I found PS lol) I worry a little about going down to a J or K but if I really stop to think about it, I don''t need it to be white, I just need it to perform. But that''s me... I know that a part of me thinks that I ''should'' turn away anything that isn''t a VVS1 D LOL I also don''t want to have to ''justify'' my diamond. This has a lot of meaning to me and I don''t want the comments... oh what a weird stone, and it''s so yellow... and look at that big spot in the middle... it''s like people, do you realize how hard it was to find this CUT??? LOL But if the stone is doing what I want it to, that''s all that really matters :) Does your H do that for you? Because if you''re really unsettled, maybe you should keep looking... trust your gut! :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra, I doubt anyone expects you to make multiple foods for that kind of crowd! I married into a HUGE family, and get togethers were simple, although we could ask each other to bring a dish if we wanted. and no, everyone won''t eat at the same time, it will work out. Relax and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results