shape
carat
color
clarity

SI1 / SI2 - Is there a big difference?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
I am looking for a 3 ct. or larger H or better color round diamond. I have looked at many GIA certs on the web and noticed that many SI1 stones look worse than alot of SI2 stones. Is this possible and if so, why??? I am currently considering( just considering) a 3+ ct. G SI2 stone. It has an ideal cut and ex/ex for polish and symmetry. The table looks very clean - 3 little dots toward the side of the table, some needles and a feather around the very edge of the stone. Why does this look better than most of the SI1 stones I have looked at????? I have been told it is eyeclean but everyone's eyes are different and I seem to see everything.

I am also looking into H color SI1's. Should I forget the SI2 and stick with SI's in H color??? I have time to wait for the perfect stone so please be truthful. THanks for your advice.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! You are the kind of shopper I like to chat with (as a fellow shopper) beacuse you go against the 'truth' grain of all that dia' hype! Yes, a SI1 can be worse than SI2. And it is easy to see why: the grade SI1 is indicates at most few inclusions visible to the eye, and SI2 just few visible inclusions, but more than an SI1. From my experince (and 20/20 vision) there are eye-clean SI2s out there even if graders saw it otherwise and even more look eye-clean in mounting. Faceting helps alot with this: you should not hope to see an EC, SI2 eye clean and approach with circumspection a SI1 EC, but a Princess aor RBC would obviate the same flaw nicely with their many facets. So, you can always have a good SI2 and a bad SI1 depending on the type and position of the inclusions and the cut of the stone. A great cut makes a difference too (for better in RBCs, for worse in ECs)... SEE NEXT POST

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why is the type of inclusion important? Well, imagine a black cat in a hall of mirrors! This is how a black carbon 'spot'looks inside a RBC: multiplied. A white veil or fearther (meaning planar inclusions) cannot be really seen at all if they fall (as the cutter struggled to make them) perpendicular to the table. White crystal inclusions are the harderst to see (but there are quite a few kinds). I do hear sometimes sellers boasting that their SI2 or I1 has crystal inclusions only and later be presented with a nice, virtually eye clean I1! But this is an exception, An eye clean SI2 is a nice surpise, and an eye clean SI1 the sure result of a little search...Best of luck!

By the way: I would only dispute fiercely the claims above with a LARGE sample of diamonds infront and a non-violent diamond grader (most are). Why? well, imagine that someone who scrutinizes stones for a living would be able to pick up quite a few inclusions where I see only the largest, and this even if he does not have eyes as goos as I. If the dealer would try to put himself in customer's place and 'overlook' some flaws he thinks mere mortals cannot see, then, I would run! Fortunately, I do not sell* nor buy here so I can tell my story.
wavey.gif

Note: *I don't SELL diamonds anywhere!

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
The feather that goes to the edge of the stone would be the biggest concern of mine as it could eventually be a big problem. Feathers that go straight to the edge could possibly be a stress point in some stones, and one good whack could lead to the diamond splitting, cracking, fracturing, or chipping. But that could hold true for any stone that is hit in just the right spot.

As for fear of the grade (SI2) itself, hogwash I say! If a stone looks fantastic to your eye, but the paperwork is less than what many would consider desireable, go with your gut instinct. She's not going to be wearing the grading report on her finger.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/11/2003 7:30:14 PM TheDiamondangel wrote:

The feather that goes to the edge of the stone would be the biggest concern of mine as it could eventually be a big problem. Feathers that go straight to the edge could possibly be a stress point in some stones, and one good whack could lead to the diamond splitting, cracking, fracturing, or chipping. .----------------

Yes, this should be a great concern w/ feathers near the edge of the girdle.

Stephcola - I didn't realize that is what the G/SI2 had. I would pass on this stone.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Grading reports can be misleading as to the *size* of the inclusion, you can see the same inclusion on a plot of a VS2 and SI1/SI2...but it's the size of that inclusion that makes the grade...get pictures of the actual stone and then compare them..and ask the vendors about the stones being eye-clean. If the vendor has the stone--they will eyeball it and tell you--note 'Audion19's posts recently about SI1. Definitely consider SI1 and SI2 to get you that size you want but be sure it's eye clean OR an inclusion that you can live happily with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results