shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your long hair and lets talk care <3

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it looks perfect - would go great in a historical movie about 18th century Europe, too!
Thanks for the nice compliment re: beadwork.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, Circe! I started with this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5NZr1ne9I0

But I modified; I bought two of those bun doughnut things and threaded them over a small pony at the crown of the head, draping and pinning the left over tail out the top of the doughnut stack all around so it camouflaged the fake pieces. Then I twisted the front hair, which I left down initially, into loose ropes and pinned them up and over the stack. The back half I left down until the end, and instead of trying to get it up in a neat manner, I just braided it to one side and tied it off so it came down over one shoulder. It was pretty secure, even when I bumped it coming through a low doorway in my old house! My hairdresser friend says the key is the pony at the crown of the head- it's an anchor for everything else.

My background is in theater, so I love to- and have had a lot of opportunity to-play with different historic styles and try lots of crazy things. I'm always gratified when it actually works!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe: When all is in doubt with bangs keep them long. Soooo much easier to deal with than chopping them off and waiting for them to grow back out :(

When did you make the decision to dye the ends of your hair? I have put henna on it and plan on trying to add a peek a boo streak of teal to my hair....what do you think? Should I just try the tips instead and if I like it then do the strip? Or just do the strip?

You have such beautiful hair and the combs are AMAZING!!! LOVE IT!

Missy: Your hair is beautiful-how do you wear it when you bike? I think you ride with your husband correct? Lots of mess after riding in the wind? I actually considered dreads for a while since my hair locks up so easily. My gf is a tall white chick and has the most beautiful long dreads and she looks amazing with them. I'm worried I would hate them and my DH isn't on board anyways lol!

Sky: I love your hair pieces and your DH has beautiful hair! My husband looks nice with long hair and I think he'd look amazing with long long hair but he has to cut it for work. His dad had long hair for a long time growing up so I'm planning on keeping our sons hair long. It's so blond its white so I think he'll be a cutie pie with long hair (he's still pretty much hairless now though lol).

aviastar thank you for sharing and the links/video. Your giving me courage to keep my ren. fest costume and rock it in public!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. Yes, I think those purple-dipped ends look really cool! I was surprised DH grew his hair long because he kept it very short, even close to one inch short for work. He is involved in a medically-related field where he often deals with police, courts, other offices, etc. and has always tried to present a conservative, clean-cut look. He has been working at this same job for decades and is close to retirement and is very comfortable with the job and he told me that now he feels now that he can wear his hair long and be OK with it. He ties it back at work in a ponytail.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so jealous. I finally grew my hair out to my bra band in the back (layered, so it's shorter up front), but it's stopped growing! It's been 2 years since I got a hair cut. My roots grow, I know that, but the bottom of my hair just keeps breaking and breaking. I know, I know, you're supposed to get trims. Except even my hair stylist has told me to stop cutting my hair bc it's not growing as fast as the trims are occurring when I was getting my hair trimmed every 3-4 months. So now I have longish hair with about half of it fried, dried, and damaged.

I don't even use regular conditioner anymore; I only use it to liquify the hair masks a bit so it's easier to spread.
I would love my hair to be at the waist level.
I stopped bleaching my hair and hilighting it 2 years ago, and just recently dyed the ends dark brown to match my roots.
I hope the stopping of hair dye and bleaching will help me reach my goal!!!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
My hair gets damaged also and I trim off the split ends. What I find useful for minimizing damage and encouraging growth is to trim occasionally, contain hair often (braid or non-tight ponytail), moisturizing shampoos and conditioners, avoid coloring and other chemical agents, daily multi-vitamin/mineral supplement.

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
I'm also trying to grow my hair long, down my back. It's past bra length but the ends are thin and not lush like the beautiful hair in the pictures shown so far. I flat iron my roots only and curl the ends, the texture of my hair is straight up frizz no curl but ugly frizz, I don't know if it's hormone changes after 3 pregnancies or age. I plan to grow it another 6-8" then get a health trim. I do color the roots, and use loreal sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.

_9407.jpg

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
^ Your hair looks beautiful :wavey: It's normal for the ends to be thinner.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aviastar, that is SO COOL! Thank you for posting it ... I have *got* to see if my hair can do it.

vintagelover229|1377712619|3511410 said:

When did you make the decision to dye the ends of your hair? I have put henna on it and plan on trying to add a peek a boo streak of teal to my hair....what do you think? Should I just try the tips instead and if I like it then do the strip? Or just do the strip?

VL, henna is so beautiful! I love the results people can get: my favorite is that wonderful beech-verging-on-purple shade some people get going on.

I've been wanting to dye it for a while, but leery because, a) the last time I did, I was in high school, and let's just admit that a lot of what looks good on high school girls doesn't necessarily look so good by their 20th reunion, and, b) oy, the maintenance. But since I needed to get a trim and wasn't going to have time before I left for a trip, I figured ... what do I have to lose? At first I felt a little self-conscious: now I just love it. It makes me feel very "me." But getting the color right was crucial. I don't think I would have been as happy with a streak - impossible to conceal on those days when I want to be low-key. This, I just twist the right was, and, boom, it disappears into my hair.

I am currently feeling very hair-happy: after almost six damned months of searching, I finally managed to find a replacement for my beloved lost MOP hair comb, lost during a lovely night out t celebrate a friend's book. SIX MONTHS. That's a long time to Google images, yo.

And I also wanted to ask ... I want to try doing an argan oil treatment tonight. But how do I *apply* the oil - just dip the ends in and let it soak? Comb it through? How much do you use?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vintagelover229|1377712619|3511410 said:
Circe: When all is in doubt with bangs keep them long. Soooo much easier to deal with than chopping them off and waiting for them to grow back out :(

You have such beautiful hair and the combs are AMAZING!!! LOVE IT!

Missy: Your hair is beautiful-how do you wear it when you bike? I think you ride with your husband correct? Lots of mess after riding in the wind? I actually considered dreads for a while since my hair locks up so easily. My gf is a tall white chick and has the most beautiful long dreads and she looks amazing with them. I'm worried I would hate them and my DH isn't on board anyways lol!

Sky: I love your hair pieces and your DH has beautiful hair! My husband looks nice with long hair and I think he'd look amazing with long long hair but he has to cut it for work. His dad had long hair for a long time growing up so I'm planning on keeping our sons hair long. It's so blond its white so I think he'll be a cutie pie with long hair (he's still pretty much hairless now though lol).

aviastar thank you for sharing and the links/video. Your giving me courage to keep my ren. fest costume and rock it in public!

Thanks VintageLover. We wear bike helmets so I put my hair back and up so it doesn't stick out and get sun/wind damage though the vents do allow UV rays through. I used to wear it in a ponytail with the ponytail sticking out but the ends of my hair were turning red due to the sun so my hairdresser recommended I put it all in the helmet which I have been doing for the last few years.

Putting it back and up also helps with wind damage because my hair is pretty fragile. I think I mentioned I have been washing it almost every day now. I used to wash it every other day but I feel it needs an every day wash now unfortunately so it adds to the fragility of my hair. I am seriously contemplating cutting it short as I hate the in between on me but I also know short would not be flattering on me so I am stuck. I will probably just get tired of all the necessary babying though and cut it off at some point and live with the consequences. I will have to let my sparkling personality do all the work for me when my hair is short LOL. :cheeky:

Sandycheeks-love your hair!

hairallinhelmet.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Everyone has such stunning hair! I'm inspired to grow mine out a bit more. If only I had as gorgeous hair as the rest of you!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SandyCheeks|1377722335|3511488 said:
I'm also trying to grow my hair long, down my back. It's past bra length but the ends are thin and not lush like the beautiful hair in the pictures shown so far. I flat iron my roots only and curl the ends, the texture of my hair is straight up frizz no curl but ugly frizz, I don't know if it's hormone changes after 3 pregnancies or age. I plan to grow it another 6-8" then get a health trim. I do color the roots, and use loreal sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.

My hair is about your length! It's supposed to be thinner at the ends! I always get layers so that it purposely looks like that-- fuller up top and layered thinner at the bottom. You have beautiful hair :))

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly by post for Circe:

Soak your hair with the oil. One way to do so is to add it to water and rinse it though. I would keep it in over night if you can-shower cap it or braid it or something (you don't have to though) and comb it though.

You won't even believe the difference it makes. You will think to yourself I had NO clue my hair could be THIS much softer-I thought it was healthy before!!

Off to run errands ::)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Only pics I have are from my wedding, which was 5 years ago.

I don't really have the patience for my hair when it is long so I frequently cut it to my shoulders, then grow it out again to this length (just below bra closures). I am blessed with hair that grows quickly.

As for care. My scalp is very prone to reacting poorly to shampoos and conditioners. So I have to be really careful about what I use.

Pureology is one line I can and do use without fear of reaction. I use their Reconstructing conditioner once a week (green bottle). And the only other thing I do is wash it every other day with my Loma Pearatin Scalp Shampoo. I don't color my hair at all.

I used to get split ends but that stopped after I started using sulfite-free hair products.

This is as long as I can tolerate my hair getting without chopping it off.

4937_1105575891590_6765291_n.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe I'm taking the plunge and dying my hair teal tomorrow. I need to decide if I should do the peak a boo streak or go with the ends. How much should I dye on the ends if I do it that way? I have to bleach it first which is scaring me (I hate bleach) but my hair is to dark to get the color I want if I don't do that first.

Opinions please!?!?!?!?!? :shock: :???:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, cool - what exact color are you going to go with?!?! (An ETA, since I realized I was being non-specific ... some brands are a lot better than others.)

I think it depends on a few things: whether you wear your hair up a lot, if you want it to show all the time, and how much time you have for maintenance. Now that the term is on, I've let mine lapse because even that hour a week can be hard to find, but while I had them, it was nice to be able to put my hair in a bun and tuck the ends in if I wanted to play vanilla. Harder to do with a streak just about anywhere, I think ... though I do kind of love the idea of dying the underside at the back of the neck so its like a ribbon of color when you braid it! I figure doing that will be more time-consuming, though, since you'll have to put vaseline around the hairline and keep the whole thing from dying whatever you're wearing, etc., etc. So both have their pros and their cons ... I think it just depends on what you like more! I am absolutely loving Amanda Rosenberg's ombre red hair: I think that looks AWESOME on dark hair.

When I did mine, I simply put it in two braids and dyed the ends ... like dipping a paintbrush. Easy, peasy, no muss, no fuss, I just draped a towel over my shoulders and hung out for half an hour before washing the excess out in the sink. Gave it a nice, natural graduated effect ... down it looked a little like the end of a fox's tail, given that I have some layering going on.

I hope you post pics of whatever you wind up doing!

lr_ombre_hair.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe: Thank you for sharing how you did yours! I have a gf who has a sister who does hair (she's slightly autistic so she does things for people she knows for good rates but not in a shop or anything) and will charge me 15.00 to bleach my hair (either a streak or the ends) and add the color. I did some research and decided on the brand punky color (I wanted manic panic at first but it's hard to find locally around here and from what I read punky lasts longer). I've decided on teal (or turquoise) http://jeromerussell.com/product/punky-color/#

I really can't decide what I want although a streak while braided would look pretty cool. I don't do much with my hair expect braids and pony tails (sometimes I clip it up from the pony) but other than that I'm a fairly low maintenance type of gal.

I do have some free time to redo the color (its actually my color she's using-her bleach) and since I only need to bleach it once I'll just touch up as needed (another reason why I'm nervous I'm a super lazy low maintenance kind of gal).

I figure we'd pull up the rest of the hair that doesn't need the color and do one either off to the side of the back depending on if we do the steak or if we do the ends. My hair isn't as thick as yours so hiding it that well even with the tips probably isn't the easiest option.

I'm just nervous all around. I think I'll love it (I love funky things and color and being different) so I think this will express me a bit more with my long locks but taking the plunge is just so nerve racking.

eta do you think that color will be okay on slightly red tinted brown hair?

eta: this could work too-dye the tips underneath

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoS3K60lSfX0Adc.JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTFyOWo4YWU4BHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANkMjE5OTFhYzU3OGFlYzA2ZjY2ODczYTY0ZmZiYTBlNgRncG9zAzg0?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dturquoise%2Bbrown%2Bred%2Bhair%26fr%3Dmoz35%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D84&w=467&h=700&imgurl=3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-B13en0YFAug%2FTy271sw-c0I%2FAAAAAAAASMQ%2FdOSYUDpICv8%2Fs1600%2Ftumblr_lqfufiuv371qbt2umo1_500.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsecret-hipster.blogspot.com%2F2012%2F02%2Fblues.html&size=106.3KB&name=Secret+Hipster%3A+The+Blues&p=turquoise+brown+red+hair&oid=d21991ac578aec06f66873a64ffba0e6&fr2=piv-web&fr=moz35&tt=Secret+Hipster%3A+The+Blues&b=61&ni=128&no=84&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11ldgjb17&sigb=13e5fskds&sigi=13beem2ut&.crumb=.2H9j2N5Lzk&fr=moz35

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo I did my hair a while back but didn't have any good pictures. I just re-did it again on Monday and my husband had his companies Christmas party and it looked super awesome with the dress I borrowed from the lady I do child care for.

You can't really see it unless my hair is up/braided since I did peak a boo on both sides.

p1040565.jpg

_12507.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vintagelover229|1386469515|3569843 said:
Soooo I did my hair a while back but didn't have any good pictures. I just re-did it again on Monday and my husband had his companies Christmas party and it looked super awesome with the dress I borrowed from the lady I do child care for.

You can't really see it unless my hair is up/braided since I did peak a boo on both sides.

OMG, it looks great on you vintagelover! I love it and the dress! :appl:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ooo, VIVID! I love it! When you say "peek-a-boo on both sides," what does that mean ... like, a long streak behind/beneath each ear, or ...?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
It looks amazing! :appl: How did you get such an undulating wavy effect?

Ah, I get it. You're really a mermaid. :D

blondie~

Rough_Rock
An interesting thread. Some of you have exquisite hair. Amazing.

I'm over 50. I wash it twice a week or after heavy cardio. I almost never blow dry it. I use AG or Biolage for shampoo, alternate between a conditioner & detangler. Sometimes for a special occasion I use something called Shu Uemura to make it super soft, smooth, silky (It's like "Morrocan Oil"). I never use a flat iron or curling iron. Wide toothed comb only. I get it cut, highlighted twice a year. I wear it in a French twist quite a bit.

An messy back shot but with a cool barrette:

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
Re: Show me your long hair and lets talk care <3

All of you ladies have gorgeous hair! I have to admit, I'm a little envious of the fun color streaks. My other half used to have hair past his waist before it started thinning and he shaved it off so he lives vicariously through mine now and I keep it natural. I generally trim every 6 months, wash every 5 days or so and use a argan oil. If I'm getting fancy I'll do a vintage pinup style which requires teasing and does a lot of damage but oh well. It usually stays in a bun or braid during the day or when I'm sleeping. My favorite sleeping trick is twisting it around a bandana so I wake up with pretty waves. Waking up with a dog digging that perfect spot to lay or being completely stuck with my hair wrapped around me can get a little frustrating. I wish I had better pictures but here are a couple.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1386659006.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1386659061.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1386659129.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheGeckoLady|1386659352|3571198 said:
All of you ladies have gorgeous hair! I have to admit, I'm a little envious of the fun color streaks. My other half used to have hair past his waist before it started thinning and he shaved it off so he lives vicariously through mine now and I keep it natural. I generally trim every 6 months, wash every 5 days or so and use a argan oil. If I'm getting fancy I'll do a vintage pinup style which requires teasing and does a lot of damage but oh well. It usually stays in a bun or braid during the day or when I'm sleeping. My favorite sleeping trick is twisting it around a bandana so I wake up with pretty waves. Waking up with a dog digging that perfect spot to lay or being completely stuck with my hair wrapped around me can get a little frustrating. I wish I had better pictures but here are a couple.

Geckolady, you have gorgeous hair! I also love your haircolor. Beautiful!!! And I love your sweet kitty! Would love to see more pics of her/him...
(Cool glasses too-both pairs).

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
No color needed for you! The shade of your hair is beautiful.

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, missy and crown1! I used to hate the color when I was younger because strangers would walk up and touch it. Eewww! I like it now but part of me does miss the fun of changing the color on a whim. Here’s the link to the site where I learned how to use bandanas to curl my hair. The waves in the second photo were from rolling my hair in 2 separate bandanas. http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/bandana-curls-or-rag-curls-for-long-hair/

Oh, and I’ll try to start a thread about my naked cats at some point. ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That looks AWESOME Vingtagelover. I mean just FANTASTIC. I love it.

Makes me wish I could do that. They let me get away wearing my Uggs to work because of my RA, but I think vivid teal steaks in my hair would be OOT for them.

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Geckolady, I love your hair!

My own hair is currently just below my shoulders and I'm trying to grow it back to "bra closure length". My problem with hair is that I'm very impatient and even though my hair grows nearly an inch per month I usually end up cutting or coloring it before it reaches the length I'd like it to be. :lol:

My latest hair experiment is using castor oil as conditioner. It works!! Originally I bought castor oil for oil cleansing my skin but that wasn't my thing so I had to invent a new purpose for the oil. :lol: I've been using it in the lengths of my hair for about two weeks now mixed with my regular conditioner (half conditioner, half castor oil). I feel that my hair is now mildly curlier and much less coarse than before. I think this experiment might be a longterm one. :mrgreen:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
!

kalomeli|1386942695|3573551 said:
Wow, Geckolady, I love your hair!

My own hair is currently just below my shoulders and I'm trying to grow it back to "bra closure length". My problem with hair is that I'm very impatient and even though my hair grows nearly an inch per month I usually end up cutting or coloring it before it reaches the length I'd like it to be. :lol:

My latest hair experiment is using castor oil as conditioner. It works!! Originally I bought castor oil for oil cleansing my skin but that wasn't my thing so I had to invent a new purpose for the oil. :lol: I've been using it in the lengths of my hair for about two weeks now mixed with my regular conditioner (half conditioner, half castor oil). I feel that my hair is now mildly curlier and much less coarse than before. I think this experiment might be a longterm one. :mrgreen:

Ooh kalomeli, I have been using Jamaican extra dark black castor oil for the last month or so as an experiment too mainly because my hair is thinning and I am trying anything that might help however remote the possibility. I use it as a pre-poo and mix it with thinner consistency oils to make it more manageable to apply... I am having trouble using it though because it is so thick and my hair gets tangled when I apply even when mixed. I apply to dry hair because that is what I read to do. Any tips? I love the way it smells though I know some don't care for the scent. It is smoky and I really love that smell.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts regarding results after a few months. Please let us know how it goes and good luck!

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
missy|1386944140|3573564 said:
Ooh kalomeli, I have been using Jamaican extra dark black castor oil for the last month or so as an experiment too mainly because my hair is thinning and I am trying anything that might help however remote the possibility. I use it as a pre-poo and mix it with thinner consistency oils to make it more manageable to apply... I am having trouble using it though because it is so thick and my hair gets tangled when I apply even when mixed. I apply to dry hair because that is what I read to do. Any tips? I love the way it smells though I know some don't care for the scent. It is smoky and I really love that smell.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts regarding results after a few months. Please let us know how it goes and good luck!

That actually was the reason I ended up mixing it with my conditioner - it makes it so much easier to apply! My conditioner already had a bit of argan oil in it so there is an emulsifier to make the smooth texture... Maybe try mixing it with some basic light moisturizer? There is some emulsifier used in moisturizers anyway so it will change the viscosity of the oil.

I actually have a little experiment going on with oils. Castor oil for hair, and grape seed oil as daytime moisturizer and argan oil as night cream. So far I'm super happy! My skin hasn't looked this good in years! Oily T-zone and dry-as-desert cheeks are gone! :o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results