shape
carat
color
clarity

Shameless Bragging

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
KaeKae|1359498562|3366797 said:
That is so wrong. Jealous fools. G&T programs are about the way a child thinks and learns, not just about intelligence. So, just because a child does not qualify, doesn't mean he or she isn't one of the 'smart' ones. School districts need to do a better job of making that info available for parents. (I used to live in a district where some parents had their kids tutored before testing. It was ridiculous)

Yeah, I actually hadn't planned on putting my younger son in the program because of the things said to me this year, as I feared it would interfer with his social life, however, his teacher said he should at least test and be given the opportunity for next year. We'll see how it goes.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
rubyshoes|1359504357|3366886 said:
You guys (and your kids) have some serious accomplishments! Congrats to all! Mine is a tiny little brag. I redecorated my guest room! I have bay windows that overlook my front yard and the park opposite my house, so I got my carpenter to build me a window seat (with storage) and I ordered an awesome fabric from fabricguru.com. It was a bold choice but I am a flamboyant person :bigsmile: I had the fabrics shipped to two etsy seamstresses- 1 made the curtains, the other made the window seat cushion. Because I have pets, everything is machine-washable (even the window seat cushion is zippered). I love my nook! It's comfy and I just had my evening tea and read my kindle while lazing around there. :appl: The walls are all white, and the rest of the decor is neutrals with a few splashes of turquoise like a turquoise foo dog and some paintings.

Close-up of fabric -

Beautiful, Rubyshoes. Cute kitty, too!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
rubyshoes|1359504357|3366886 said:
You guys (and your kids) have some serious accomplishments! Congrats to all! Mine is a tiny little brag. I redecorated my guest room! I have bay windows that overlook my front yard and the park opposite my house, so I got my carpenter to build me a window seat (with storage) and I ordered an awesome fabric from fabricguru.com. It was a bold choice but I am a flamboyant person :bigsmile: I had the fabrics shipped to two etsy seamstresses- 1 made the curtains, the other made the window seat cushion. Because I have pets, everything is machine-washable (even the window seat cushion is zippered). I love my nook! It's comfy and I just had my evening tea and read my kindle while lazing around there. :appl: The walls are all white, and the rest of the decor is neutrals with a few splashes of turquoise like a turquoise foo dog and some paintings.

Very nice! I like your color choice. I chose a very bright orange and bright green accent pieces for our bonus room (which is technically the kid's TV room), which had very neutral, beige furniture, and my kids loved the bright pops of colors 'cos it felt fun and cheerful, and perfect for their little area.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
So many amazing accomplishments & brag-worthy moments!

Thank you for the kind words! It's been a wild & crazy ride but I am so very thankful to have made it this far. Here are a few pics showing my journey:

1/12

4/12

1/13

imageuploadedbytapatalk1359505999.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1359506014.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1359506024.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: Purplesparklies!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Congratulations on such an amazing success story!! I'm SO proud of you!!!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
KaeKae|1359498562|3366797 said:
MC|1359477433|3366456 said:
jaysonsmom|1359423993|3365977 said:
Feel free to brag about anything. I've been holding in some news, but I'm about to burst, and I can't tell co-workers and/or friends on FB, for fear of upsetting them, because a lot of my FB friends are parents of kids the same age as mine.....

So, here it is. I have 2 extremely bright kids, and both of them excel at school, and qualified for the GATE (Gifted and Talented Educaton) program this year! I could not be a prouder mama :razz:

They are going into the GATE program, then? Your friends w/kids your age/and kids friends will figure out your kids' giftedness soon enough. That is when you find out who your real friends are. Luckily, my older son has kept all his same friends, but a lot of the moms bash the program he is in right to my face. It's upsetting and I'd love to post his test scores just to shut them up. ;))

That is so wrong. Jealous fools. G&T programs are about the way a child thinks and learns, not just about intelligence. So, just because a child does not qualify, doesn't mean he or she isn't one of the 'smart' ones. School districts need to do a better job of making that info available for parents. (I used to live in a district where some parents had their kids tutored before testing. It was ridiculous)

You hit the nail on the head kaekae. These programs are often for kids who think differently, not necessarily that they are so much smarter than everyone else.
It's one of the reasons we opted not to include our son in the "gifted" program at his school. Somehow, when 25% of the kids in a school are in the gifted program, something is wrong. Gifted is meant for the top 3% in the country and I am pretty sure one quarter of the 950 kids in our elementary school are not gifted by those standards. The bottom line is that ALL students benefit from enrichment and I dislike programs that single kids out. In our school, the kids are pulled out one day a week for "enrichment". Since half the class leaves, the teacher is forced to come up with projects for the remaining kids because she can't introduce something new with so many kids out.

Not bashing gifted programs in general, but the one in our area is ridiculous. End of rant.

My small brag is that I scheduled all 950 of these kids for our yearly
Arts in Education day where each class sees 5 performances of various types of artists (comedy improv, musicians, dancers, painters, etc). Figuring out how to schedule everything so that no one saw the same type of artist twice without mixing grade levels and honoring specific teacher requests was a NIGHTMARE and took me about 16 hours. Now I can start the fun task of coordinating volunteers, printing said schedules for teachers and artists, etc. It's still a lot to do, but I think the hardest part is done! No wonder no one does this job more than one year!!

Purplesparklies!!! What an AMAZING accomplishment!! You should be so proud of yourself!!! I am proud of you!! :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
purplesparklies said:

Thank you for the kind words! It's been a wild & crazy ride but I am so very thankful to have made it this far. Here are a few pics showing my journey:

WOW! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

GOOD JOB (newly) LITTLE LADY! :bigsmile:

Awesome! Seriously, you are amazing.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
purplesparklies|1359506148|3366907 said:

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
Very impressive achievement!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purplesparklies.. :wavey: ..:appl: :appl:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purple Sparklies! Awesome job!

This thread has been a real mood lifter. I'm someone who can focus on the things that are wrong versus the things that are right, and it is nice to hear all the good things going on with other pricescopers, whether they be big or small :appl: .

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks MC and Jaysonsmom :)) You are welcome to have tea with my kitties, doggy and me on the window seat.

Purplesparklies, way to go! :sun:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, Purplesparklies! :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
3 nights in a row of minor success with puppy Lily - she has been in her crate from 11pm to 5/530am and did not have to get up and out in the night to pee!! YAY growing bladder capacity!!! :lol:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1359510309|3366957 said:
purplesparklies|1359506148|3366907 said:

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
Very impressive achievement!

All hail purplesparklies! Amazing!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesparkles, you look fantastic!!!

enerchi, that's as exciting as a baby sleeping through the night :) At least when you change a diaper, you don't have to go outside in your slippers and bathrobe, right?

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the kind words. They mean so much. I have been so humbled by the support and encouragement I've been blessed with throughout this journey. I have also been shocked by the number of people who have been touched by my progress. I am someone who people can relate to, it seems. I'm thrilled to feel strong and healthy and I am ecstatic to be able to help others find the motivation and determination to find their "strong and healthy".

I was obese for at least 17 years of my life. I am so frustrated that I wasted so many years of my life trapped in that body. I am hypothyroid. I have PCOS. I have sleep apnea. I have asthma. I am also strong. I have the ability to change my life and to make it the best possible life I can lead. I have the opportunity to lead by example and to show my children what a healthy, active life looks like. I have the opportunity to show my children that obstacles can be overcome by determination, focus and tenacity. My challenges do not define me. Life is so much happier and just plain more comfortable in this healthier body. It's only getting better from here!

Onward!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
My small shameless brag: I start my new job on Monday! I had a real tough time finding a job after I got licensed and ended up doing an internship for free. I was supposed to become a floor nurse at that hospital after my 3 month internship there and they ended up screwing me over. I left and decided to be a nurse at a nursing home, something I swore up and down I would not do. I've learned a lot there and have met some amazing patients that I have gotten attached to. I've gotten some great advice about life in general from some pt's too. I was asked to come in for an interview for a hospital position in December and a week later, I found out I got the job! I will be a on the cardiac floor - my weakest area of nursing but I'm still excited and thrilled!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
congrats AN... :appl:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
purplesparklies|1359595836|3368063 said:
Thank you so much for the kind words. They mean so much. I have been so humbled by the support and encouragement I've been blessed with throughout this journey. I have also been shocked by the number of people who have been touched by my progress. I am someone who people can relate to, it seems. I'm thrilled to feel strong and healthy and I am ecstatic to be able to help others find the motivation and determination to find their "strong and healthy".

I was obese for at least 17 years of my life. I am so frustrated that I wasted so many years of my life trapped in that body. I am hypothyroid. I have PCOS. I have sleep apnea. I have asthma. I am also strong. I have the ability to change my life and to make it the best possible life I can lead. I have the opportunity to lead by example and to show my children what a healthy, active life looks like. I have the opportunity to show my children that obstacles can be overcome by determination, focus and tenacity. My challenges do not define me. Life is so much happier and just plain more comfortable in this healthier body. It's only getting better from here!

Onward!

You totally inspired me. I started lifting weights again after reading your posts! Thanks. Keep up the good work!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1359599705|3368132 said:
My small shameless brag: I start my new job on Monday! I had a real tough time finding a job after I got licensed and ended up doing an internship for free. I was supposed to become a floor nurse at that hospital after my 3 month internship there and they ended up screwing me over. I left and decided to be a nurse at a nursing home, something I swore up and down I would not do. I've learned a lot there and have met some amazing patients that I have gotten attached to. I've gotten some great advice about life in general from some pt's too. I was asked to come in for an interview for a hospital position in December and a week later, I found out I got the job! I will be a on the cardiac floor - my weakest area of nursing but I'm still excited and thrilled!

Yay, Congrats, Autumnovember! Glad that everything has worked out for you. Best of luck in your new job.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
MichelleCarmen said:
purplesparklies|1359595836|3368063 said:

Onward!

You totally inspired me. I started lifting weights again after reading your posts! Thanks. Keep up the good work!

[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] Awesome! Good for you! Find your "strong" and enjoy it! I am thinking about doing Chalean Extreme so I can learn how to do weights correctly. Weights are next on my list of exercises to conquer! [FLEXED BICEPS] Make 2013 YOUR year! [THUMBS UP SIGN]

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Autumnovember|1359599705|3368132 said:

Congrats Autumnovember :)) I have a lot of respect for nurses. In my experience they are so much nicer, kinder and patient than Drs!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Rubyshoes, DF, and MC thank you so much :appl: :bigsmile:

AP1976

Shiny_Rock
What an amazing thread!! Congrats to everyone on their accomplishments :appl: :appl:

My shameless brag is about my Mom. On Monday she will be 6 months sober!!! We have been through hell and back over the past few years, many times I felt I would lose her, and she is in such a great place and I'm happy FOR her, but I'm also happy to have my "mommy" back! :D

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations to everyone on their accomplishments!! :bigsmile:

My shameless brag is that I'm FINALLY pregnant after 16 months of trying! ::) Now let's see if I can make it through the next 8 months with a healthy baby and WITHOUT becoming the size of a house! :-o

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I went to a new vet recently... "Are you sure your cat is 7?".... "um, yes."... "her teeth and gums look outstanding!"

... our weekly teeth brushing has paid off! :appl:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
tammy77|1359679120|3369121 said:
Congratulations to everyone on their accomplishments!! :bigsmile:

My shameless brag is that I'm FINALLY pregnant after 16 months of trying! ::) Now let's see if I can make it through the next 8 months with a healthy baby and WITHOUT becoming the size of a house! :-o

Congratulations, Tammy!

AP - congrats to your mom!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
My daughter is the lead in her school musical! Her talent has nothing to do with me- my MIL went to Juilliard, but at least I didn't cancel it out. I'm SO proud of her!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
iluvcarats said:
My daughter is the lead in her school musical! Her talent has nothing to do with me- my MIL went to Juilliard, but at least I didn't cancel it out. I'm SO proud of her!
Congrats!!!!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Minor brags: I went to the gym twice this week :) I'm an awesome cook and baker. I just don't really have much time to do it anymore. But it's fun coming up with what I'm going to make. When I was doing yoga regularly I was getting pretty good at it.

Today my son was the first baby to figure out how to turn on water in the wee-sinks at day care.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results